test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hell Pit Difficulty?

callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
I have run each and every hell pit on different toons up to now.

This one is way more hardcore, or at least thats my impression. Wiped on two toons in Round 1 of Day one.

Nope not fun for me at all. A challenge is one thing, but this is too tough for me - good luck to everyone.

Give us your feedback!

Comments

• chaderickrax#3780 chaderickrax Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    Man, I actually typed the word HAMSTER as a joke, and it turned it yellow and bold, as if I was cussing.

That's two in one day!
  • rey007#5400 rey007 Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    This wasn't fun today.

The Hell Pit after the combat rework has made the event more challenging for sure. Initially, I tried my new Hunter Ranger load-out but I just got destroyed in the first round. The main reason I did poorly was I was trying to learn the rotation and it just wasn't fast enough enough for me. So then I took my Warden Ranger and I did a bit better. I used quite a few health potions and I got it done today. From what I noticed is if your DPS output isn't high enough, the incoming mobs are spawning before you kill the current one which adds to the challenge.

For a Day 1 event, this was painful and I will have to tweak my load-out for the rest of the event.
    - Rey

- in umbra igitur pugnabimus!
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    I did it on 2 toons today, a 53k SW and a 32k TR. Both were tough but doable.

I changed from health stone to potions and used them a fair bit, I didn't wait until health was low to use them.

I kept a summoned pet out and tried to attack 1 enemy to engage and let my pet take aggro. From there I worked in to kill.

I believe the enemies that throw fire from a distance do too much damage. With 3-4 of them in a group they take your health way too fast.

There seems to be a particular time I need the bonuses they give us. I do my best to save them and time them for a big need.

Try to stay around the outside to avoid them getting combat advantage on you, hurts less.
  • sagakaiyume#0847 sagakaiyume Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    As a tank, its fine just really slow. 1 potion used (during round one, had to relearn how to play, playing something else for last 2 months just want the mount here). Found 2 actives, both the fire arrow drop that does 300k aoe damage, had enough self sustain and was boring. Could see needing to change things for when harder difficulty comes around though, specially if CC's from mobs haven't changed.
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    I don't know. Got demons. I struggled with demons in past hell's pit events but this time i took one potion per round and that was it. It could go without potions but i didn't bother. Played with fighter tank paragon.
  • vastano#2343 vastano Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    51k rogue assasin here
    drank i think 10 potions through all 5 rounds other then that was very challenging but not what i would call undoable
    allowing the mobs to get ca on you is a definate no no but been learning that since the combat rework so soon as i ghet more then 3 round me i dodge out of the way before i got even low on health
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    51k+ barb here. No potions used, no deaths. first try.
    Admittedly the mobs do more dmg now with the combat rework, but I did not find it all that hard, using some of the strategies developed in the past for this event:
    You can somewhat control the flow of enemies if you need a small break by leaving a single mob alive. This won't prevent the next wave, but it will usually buy you some time. Combat Advantage is a major disadvantage in this event, limit your exposure to it by using the arena, possibly the walls to protect your back. The biggest thing though is Heals-over-Time. Specifically Redemption companion power. With this slotted you can regain health at a consistent rate.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    day 2: 40K Barbarian. A lot better than yesterday (as I said in another thread, I was rusty). The only complaint I have today is the gate bug that I stuck in the final gate (to the arena). "Switch character" and go back does not change position and keep stuck. I have to use VIP sigpost to get out. Re-take the quest and go back again. So, do not stay too close to the final gate when it is opening.

Back to the fight, I do still need to drink health potion to refill. It seem to be easier today for me. I think it is more because I am more relax and capture what is going on in the whole arena instead of just hack and slash.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • vaivictvs#5716 vaivictvs Member Posts: 11 Arc User

This one is way more hardcore, or at least thats my impression. Wiped on two toons in Round 1 of Day one.

Nope not fun for me at all. A challenge is one thing, but this is too tough for me - good luck to everyone.

Give us your feedback!

Give us your feedback!

I agree the difficulty is amped up but i'm a returning player gone for probably 2 years and adjust to a lot of changes. Wizards have a raw end of the stick, squishy and not very dpsy to boot. My Wiz after some upgrades where I now have 10 legendary companions (pretty much spent all savings of AD from past 3+ years i was going to use to by marks with on summer event) and its super hard to survive these first two days. I have a stone of health with 180 charges that i suspect will be 0 by the end of this event, and i worry i'm not even going to complete.

There are just too many mobs hitting, and i'm pretty sure even melee mobs are hitting you at range. If we can take friends in with us its great, if htey would dump the useless power ups and only give either health regen or shield then some of us squishy folks can possibly make it. But at 42k something like 5000 base dmg, using every mount power that gives regeneration, its hard to survive this week.

I don't really ahve a high ranking healing companion but i'm thinking i may have to see what if that battle medic guy i had from a prior event heals enough to get through.

Frankly i think the game has changed so much and dramatically with mechanics that the devs need to consider just doing a new neverwinter game where everything is balanced correctly with the rule set. I'm not sure how to play fighters any more, i know my fighter i had running normal dungeosn pretty much loses use of shield in 3 seconds of being hit.

Trying to stack defense seems useless since all you can get as dps is 50% from gear and there isn't that much gear that seems to give addtional bonuses. companion bonuses are weak becuase you are DPS trying to spend millions of AD on getting DPS stats up and then the devs drop an event where its not even adjusted based on the class you are going in with. Treating EVERYONE the same when tehy are clearly NOT the same is in poor form. Also it goes without saying, obviously Rogues are overly powerful again because they seem to be owning everything right now with ridiculous dmg, i'm not saying nerf them, i'm saying bring all dps classes on par, even through play style is different they should all be able to deal good dmg in their own way, wizards just feel useless and frankly in this state, the game seems to be telling people only play rogue for barbarian.

Give us your feedback!

Give us your feedback!

I agree the difficulty is amped up but i'm a returning player gone for probably 2 years and adjust to a lot of changes. Wizards have a raw end of the stick, squishy and not very dpsy to boot. My Wiz after some upgrades where I now have 10 legendary companions (pretty much spent all savings of AD from past 3+ years i was going to use to by marks with on summer event) and its super hard to survive these first two days. I have a stone of health with 180 charges that i suspect will be 0 by the end of this event, and i worry i'm not even going to complete.

There are just too many mobs hitting, and i'm pretty sure even melee mobs are hitting you at range. If we can take friends in with us its great, if htey would dump the useless power ups and only give either health regen or shield then some of us squishy folks can possibly make it. But at 42k something like 5000 base dmg, using every mount power that gives regeneration, its hard to survive this week.

I don't really ahve a high ranking healing companion but i'm thinking i may have to see what if that battle medic guy i had from a prior event heals enough to get through.

Frankly i think the game has changed so much and dramatically with mechanics that the devs need to consider just doing a new neverwinter game where everything is balanced correctly with the rule set. I'm not sure how to play fighters any more, i know my fighter i had running normal dungeosn pretty much loses use of shield in 3 seconds of being hit.

Trying to stack defense seems useless since all you can get as dps is 50% from gear and there isn't that much gear that seems to give addtional bonuses. companion bonuses are weak becuase you are DPS trying to spend millions of AD on getting DPS stats up and then the devs drop an event where its not even adjusted based on the class you are going in with. Treating EVERYONE the same when tehy are clearly NOT the same is in poor form. Also it goes without saying, obviously Rogues are overly powerful again because they seem to be owning everything right now with ridiculous dmg, i'm not saying nerf them, i'm saying bring all dps classes on par, even through play style is different they should all be able to deal good dmg in their own way, wizards just feel useless and frankly in this state, the game seems to be telling people only play rogue for barbarian.
    I will also note that i have a hell pit specific loadout that has pretty much ZERO offensive options, everything i have is defensive and mobs do die semi fast, but they are so spread out and numeroous you are peppered to death before you can knock out the others. The old thing i saw people post from before is don't kill anything until the end? DOES NOT WORK, you cannot immobilize/stun/or otherwise incapciate enough mobs to wait out to the end. You also can't kill things faast enough to widdle down the mobs. I don't know if the 50k crowd is any better or if under gearing and upscalling would work better, but my wiz is mid 400k HP and by the end of the round is struggling to stay on fee due to pot/stone CD and being low in HP.

I don't really like running shield due to that long re-cast time but i may end up having to try to that. But one thing is certain, GET RID OF THAT POWERUP THAT MISSES EVERYTHING! Just use health daily or shield power up those seem to be fine for the rounds, but the round you get that garbarge of dropping an aoe that misses half the mobs on the screen is pretty the ones that do me in.
  • johnnystranger#5900 johnnystranger Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    Well , went out and bought the vile set , swapped to my Valhalla ring . Got my defense to 50% , awareness to 42% and finally finished Hell Pit today .
    Still died once , used many potions , my IL is down to 43.6 k . Was definitely a little easier compared to bailing on round 2 . Not sure it was worth 400k ad , 27 pres wards , 2m RP , many ES5 etc to upgrade the vile set to complete week 1 of HP .
    Come week 2 , I think I’ll be screwed ROTFLMAO
    HP shouldn’t be this difficult imho

51k+ barb here. No potions used, no deaths. first try.
    Admittedly the mobs do more dmg now with the combat rework, but I did not find it all that hard, using some of the strategies developed in the past for this event:
    You can somewhat control the flow of enemies if you need a small break by leaving a single mob alive. This won't prevent the next wave, but it will usually buy you some time. Combat Advantage is a major disadvantage in this event, limit your exposure to it by using the arena, possibly the walls to protect your back. The biggest thing though is Heals-over-Time. Specifically Redemption companion power. With this slotted you can regain health at a consistent rate.

Barbarians IMO have an advantage, Wizards I just am not certain will handle this event on these changes. I use most of what you describe and more but frankly even with your back to the wall you can get CA, there are NO obstacles in the arena to use that blocks anything I have found.

Yes redemption is a must, mount powers that give healing are a must, but also going from offensive to pretty much total definisive is feeling like a must (boons that is). The only other help is a good healing companion maybe as i do not have anything but a purple battle medic i got from another event but in past the companion heals are so weak they were not even noticeable so i have not tried using a healing companion.

I will say a Wizard can easily get shredded, i'll try using sheild as i tend to hate that encounter, but i don't expect it to really help much due to the re-cast time and giving such low shield amount.

Give me health regen or that shield powerup every single round and i will have no trouble other my own not paying attention. Those rounds with that AOE power up pretty much make me cringe every time.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Wizards take a hit with the Fireball Mastery nerf they hit us with.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.

day 2: 40K Barbarian. A lot better than yesterday (as I said in another thread, I was rusty). The only complaint I have today is the gate bug that I stuck in the final gate (to the arena). "Switch character" and go back does not change position and keep stuck. I have to use VIP sigpost to get out. Re-take the quest and go back again. So, do not stay too close to the final gate when it is opening.

Back to the fight, I do still need to drink health potion to refill. It seem to be easier today for me. I think it is more because I am more relax and capture what is going on in the whole arena instead of just hack and slash.

I got the bug once, all i did was do GM help /stuck and 10 seconds later I walk into the arena. The only thing that would make that cooler would be if i was playing air guitar the entire time i was stuck lol.

They said we would not be scaled but... I took so much damage that i had to eat multiple health stones per round just to survive. They are suppose to be an IL of 40k, I am 51K. My guild mate ( 52k Rogue) failed the first round, then took off her mount collars and said she completed it NP. Hmmmmm.... interesting. This game is REALLY in a bad place if you still need to remove gear to get stronger.

I can say that i tried using old gear, hags rags and other %dmg gear from old areas thinking that being scaled up would help, for a wizard it DOES NOT. So i can't imagine what removing collars would do, i only have 1 character with collars and they are green ones and i don't even have a full set of them, i think 3 or 4 out of 5.

I'm seeing a lot of "50+k here no trouble" and for an event that should be available to everyone to help get higher item level, seems to be punishing the non-50k crowd a lot more than it should.
    Question: Anyone do this in the infernal gear set? I never "restored" them but noticed they give a nice dmg bonus, can't recall if that also applies a defense bonus, wondering if that infernal gear set will help anyone who is struggling, it seems relatively easy to get, not sure about the restore mats though.
    Today ran it as dps, used 2 potions (forgot to swap mount power) and had no issues. This dps build is unchanged from before combat rework, both as dps and tank I used an augment (Cat for tank, bulette for dps).
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

Today ran it as dps, used 2 potions (forgot to swap mount power) and had no issues. This dps build is unchanged from before combat rework, both as dps and tank I used an augment (Cat for tank, bulette for dps).

@sagakaiyume#0847
    What was the class and TIL of the DPS? (I'm trying to monitor difference in feedback from different classes)
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • melechestmelechest Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    At this point, i think Cryptic has dug themselves in a hole. First mistake was with mod16 where they implemented the system where you would get the vast majority of your stats from companions through bondings. The last combat rework was an even bigger mistake, what actually sealed the deal. Now your stats are a weird combination of item level, companions, mounts and a lot of other things, while gear provides not so much, except from the gear bonuses that can give a decent amount, along with all the other changes to how stats work. There is a reason why every game thats not Neverwinter has players get most of their stats from their gear, with other things only giving some bonuses, and not from other HAMSTER. Makes building your stats and bonuses pretty easy and simple, lets players concentrate on playing and having fun and NOT micromanaging everything. It also makes the game way easier to balance, in all aspects of it. Their mod16 HAMSTER up followed by the last combat rework is why everything is so broken, along with Hell Pit being so broken for the vast majority of players, and it would be nearly impossible to fix it for almost everyone. The most possible outcome would be that for lower il/newer players it would be doable, while for older players, who are a decent chunk, it would be as easy as it can get, which also removes the challenge and along with it any fun.
    Another testament of these series of HAMSTER ups is Infernal Citadel. Normally a dungeon would join randoms after a year or so of its release, since the vast majority of players that run randoms should have properly out-grown it and be able to finish it without any major issues. IC was released in randoms and its completion rate for random groups was abysmal. TOMM should also be the same case, joining RTQ over a year after its release, but i dont believe there would be any random groups that could finish it. Long-term, the dungeons and trials that have been released since mod16, except lomm, would most probably need many years before they could even be considered for release in randoms.
    Now, with the state they brought Neverwinter to, they cant go to this tried and tested method without angering and HAMSTER over all of their player base. They have really dug themselves in a hole and brought the game in a point where it cant be properly fixed or balanced.
    As someone mentioned, it would probably be much better to make another Neverwinter which would hopefully be a proper game and not broken.
    @armadeonx Fighter, tank spec 50k, dps 46k
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

@armadeonx Fighter, tank spec 50k, dps 46k

Cool, thanks. That falls in line with my expectations so far. The majority of the negative feedback is coming from what I like to think of as the 'ultra-squishies' : CW's, HR's and non-defensively built TR's. Rangers of course have a couple of nice defensive encounters at their disposal - but I know not many of them prioritise companions or mounts that give awareness (in particular) or even high deflect builds.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    GWF 50.4k IL, I died in the 2 days I did. Even using potions the DOT applied and the CA damage cause me to suffer a lot of damage. It should probably be very easy to complete if you own a Negation R14 and the companion Xuna. Since I don't use an attack companion, I should be more vulnerable, since I'm the only target and the only one to clear the mobs.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    day 3: for whatever reason, it seems my 40K Barbarian died many times in round 2. I did not have that kind of trouble on day 1 and day 2. Probably, not enough coffee. The deaths finally woke me up to concentrate to get through it. It was okay from round 3 to round 5.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • rey007#5400 rey007 Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    Day 2: It was about the same performance with my 39k Warden Ranger from the first day. I used quite a few health potions and had several deaths but got it done.

Day 3: I decided to switch and use my main character, 48k Justicar Paladin, with a fighting companion and immediately noticed the difference in damage taken. I also had 4 out of 5 Mount Insignia bonuses set to self-healing and I didn't even drop to half health. A bit slower to kill mobs but no stress from dying and trying to heal myself.

On my Ranger it was a load-out with no focus on self-healing and all on DPS. I just couldn't kill them fast enough before the next wave spawns. So I'm going to stay with my Paladin for the rest of the event.
    - Rey

- in umbra igitur pugnabimus!
    I'm out of the loop on how each dps class is faring when put in similar situations, but the devs if agreed to run the event would be in "bis" items, fully geared up. Doing this event as a tank would prove nothing, as its more a war of attrition.

They've shown in the past they like to show the community that something is possible, but using things that may not even be currently available yet (Yester Hill solo).