test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hell Pit Sadness and Remorse Over The state of NW

Comments

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

I've been looking at the classes of those giving feedback and from what I can infer so far, it seems that classes with decent defensive stats (particularly Awareness) appear to have less of an issue?

Pallys & Fighters have the Defence forte & usually stack Awareness anyway - barbs & warlocks also have Awareness as a forte. I'd also guess that TR's need to have not only high Deflect but also the feat Master of Shadows to pop stealth twice as often?

Those saying they find it very hard appear to mostly be Clerics, Wizards and Rangers - but I'm not surprised Kalina didn't have a problem as I know he's an extremely experienced pvp player.

YES! ive run it on the old GF [no real problem] and then a GWF [tricky at times but a fun challenge and doable] on a Cleric it was just awful. Going back to my original post, if you have lots of end gear toons its an idea to switch it around and try different toons. If you don't have, not fun.

But yes, keep the feedback rolling in!
  • vastano#2343 vastano Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    last time hell pit was on ran it with at what the time was a 31k ranger warden had to make a loadout just for hell pit on week 2
    this time ran it on my 51k rogue assasin with xuna equiped used 10 health potions across all 5 rounds 0 deaths
    was hard and the old tactics didnt work this go round good thing about rogue soon as they surround you you can dodge out
    But i am thinking week 2 could be interesting
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I didn't have any issues the first two times I played in Hell Pit. but this time, my 43K rogue assassin got munched. I didn't set up for any 'tankiness' and didn't have success with any of the previous tricks that I used. The ranged fire throwers knocked me down almost instantly as soon as I attacked and came out of stealth. I still haven't completed the first attempt.

If I had zuna on this toon, I might try that, buy my current companion isn't big on dps. Normally i don't need that--i tend to kill things pretty quickly.

A guildie with a 43K Wizard got munched and after multiple attempts gave up. He may try again later, but realizing the next two weeks are worse, felt his time could be spent better elsewhere.

Put me in the "Nice Job, Neverwinter--complete FAIL" category. I play the game for fun, and this wasn't. And I was looking forward to the mount.

Speaking of the mount, someone made the comment that with the rewards that are offered, they should just move to the week 2 difficulty. I hope I misunderstood that comment because these rewards were special two years ago--but only better than average now. Maybe I'm spoiled. But the way i look at it is that when this first came out, I didn't have a single legendary mount or insignia, and now I have four Mythic mounts and many legendary insignias. I still really want the cool stuff from the event, but the degree of difficulty has significantly increased while the relevance of the rewards has not kept pace.
  • silente07#2597 silente07 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Lol
    Please make it harder!
    Oooh could one of the devs stream going through it on a 45k or close wizard or Ranger. To show us what we need to be doing.
    I make the mistake of going on my wizard and the mobs just destroyed me. I don’t have 100% on comps or mounts that’s going to be like a year grind for that still.
    3 ratings in the green and one stat at 90.

The mage completed it in previous events. But the new system that is all about team play really sucks for solo events.

I’ll just wait for the inevitable get gud and learn your class because “I “ did it. Comments.
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    I have to agree with @silente07#2597 on this one, there has to be something wrong with the hordes of wizards, TRs and HRs that can do this event without encountering major issues.
    Elite Whaleboy
  • pspoonpspoon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    wilbur626 said:

> @pspoon said:
    > I managed to complete the 5 rounds on my 27K IL rogue 2 res scrolls and a lot of potions. It was impossible on my 36K wiz, my main which I realize now was a massive mistake, Wiz is in such a bad place right now.c I couldn't survive even one minute of the first round. Hell Pit is a perfect example of what I consider to be a major problem with this game. Pay to win. If you aren't fully geared most of the endgame content isn't playable. Or you end up using a lot of scrolls and stones which you buy with zen. If you want to be able to play events like the hell pit, it means buying companions, mounts, upgrade tokens, etc... in the Zen store. Cryptic doesn't even try to pretend there is another way, oh well yes you can spend a few years grinding everything out, which I am doing. With the AD cap, it's one good item from the AH per month, including enchants, and the like. So I can look forward to start my 1 year Hell Pit event grind in 2 years or so...

This is perfectly doable without spending as much as 1 zen.

Of course, if you are geared out, or the right class sure. I did it on my rogue and he is NOT geared at all, but it took those pay to win resources. Of course I could do it without that stuff, but the amount of wasted time to complete it would be significant and not practical at all. Its fine if you are comfortable with events that lock out a lot of the players, personally I feel given the fact that it is a solo event, that there is no reason to make it this difficult for some classes and so easy for others...
    Oh man
    Hordes can make it through.

I guess myself and hordes of others are just poor players.

Shame that. Always being told how bad we are at this game.
    That there is something wrong with us.

Motivational every time.
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    @silente07#2597

Don’t listen to the trolls that keep telling you that you are a bad player.
    Elite Whaleboy
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User

Oh man
    Hordes can make it through.

I guess myself and hordes of others are just poor players.

Shame that. Always being told how bad we are at this game.
    That there is something wrong with us.

Motivational every time.

No you are being told that it is playable, and that on some classes with certain loadouts, it is easy. Having to use some potions isn't the end of the world and the rewards from this event are pretty good (noting micky1p00's point about the legendary mount is spot on - it needs to be upgraded to mythic imo).

Fighter is obviously easier because of the self heal with second wind.

imo opnion this event is all about moving and minimising CA. So you need to stay on the outside, never let the mobs surround you. Let them group them up and then use fast animation AOEs that provide CC and maybe one encounter ranged single target that you can use to either move (ie bullcharge for fighter) or to take out ranged mobs that wont group up.

I'm not sure about wizard, hardly play it, but I would be trying Repel on tab (use it to push melee mobs towards ranged to group them up), IT and ST and maybe disintegrate, Arcane Singularity as daily for the CC and grouping. like I said, I don't really play CW so not sure

a companion with good AOE also helps, I could probably just block and let my air archon kill all the mobs
  • horizonxaelhorizonxael Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    the desire to play them and to spend a few lira to get Zen is gone and now all absurd master of the hunt is changed and it is painful and all absurdly difficult.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    lantern22 said:

I could probably just block and let my air archon kill all the mobs

I need to retract this comment - I tried and wasn't going to work unless I used health potions, probably not even then, maybe if I was on tank build and fully buffed the companion
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    lantern22 said:

lantern22 said:

I could probably just block and let my air archon kill all the mobs

I need to retract this comment - I tried and wasn't going to work unless I used health potions, probably not even then, maybe if I was on tank build and fully buffed the companion
    Well, i doubt it would work much better with a tank build either, from what i've experienced with my 40k/30k Fighter, in most cases even one group of enemies will hit through your blocking within a few seconds, and it makes more sense to kill as many enemies as possible without triggering the next wave, while using the block when your potions or stones are on cooldown.

Not sure if i'll be able to "play" through the whole event with all characters again - i just hope the next part will be another round of Harvester of Nightmares. The NWO Devs should really play through these kind of event campaigns in STO and take some notes on how to do it right. In most cases there's a choice between group and solo daily event quests, neither one of them are frustrating difficult to play through, the rewards for the current event and the whole campaign itself are really good too.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11487723
    i'll be going with option 3, 2 free account-wide T6 ships
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    It's also so laggy in there right now, probably a 2-second delay at times and hitting one encounter will cancel-out the previous one because it hasn't happened yet due to the delay when you click the next one so I'm losing encounters and can't fire them off. The first couple of days for me were ok, but forget about it getting harder in the second week, I think it's just getting harder day by day. On the first day as a healer I was able to more or less just stand there and hit them and self-heal and get through all the rounds without much of a sweat tbh, it did get harder on the next couple of days but still I got through to the end moving around or standing still didn't matter, my heals were enough to keep me alive until the timer ran down, but today suddenly I was getting so much damage so fast that the same heals which were doing fine at the start now can't cover the damage, plus today the lag is so bad that nothing is firing right anyway so it was just a hot mess in there. I did this event before and liked it, but now it's a big "no" from me. Not worth the headache given my experience today, and the rewards aren't special enough to justify going through this.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    After a few more attempts, I finally completed the five rounds on my 43K TR. I used the Path of the blade as a constant attack which provides some "CC" because it will interrupt some of the attacks of the missile mobs. Any missile mobs that tend to stay singular out on the edge and lob fireballs need to be killed immediately, and I will use my assassinate encounter to get them--don't follow them along their path if they back up leaving the fire trail--that caused nearly half damage to my hit points from full HP (I'm a bad player--I should have known better :p ). You can somewhat ignore the dogs while your Path of the blades is working and stealth is critical for using two blade flurry encounters. Watch the timer--expect the next mobs to spawn at ~25 second intervals so try to leave one up for at least 20 seconds--and not a missile thrower. Too much damage from them and they hit you even when stealthed.

I did use my mount attack from the Celestial wings which makes a big difference--try not to use it until the 1:20-1:10 minute range and then again with a few seconds left if too many groups spawned at the final seconds. My companion is the Paranoid Delusion--with no enchants to help with damage--but he attacks in a large area and will knock things prone. He also tends to kill off the one mob that I tried to keep alive until the next spawn. :'(

I did use stones of health (five i think).

I seem to recall from previous events that the mobs that spawn can be different--I tend to think that I got the easy ones when I completed all five rounds this time.

I play a Wizard occassionally, and my thoughts on that are: You are screwed by the long casting times. All the AoE that I can think of tends to be longer casting time. That is the big benefit for a TR--encounters are very fast casting times. It is not equivalent right now. Wizards (for me at least) are much harder to play because some of the best encounters get interrupted because they take so long. What I will try later is my Arcanist using the 'avalanche' (which i i think is called Tempest???) on tab because the mobs will be around me instantly. That should knock them prone. Then freeze them with icy terrain and hopefully get Steal Time off before getting killed. Any outliers that are standing too far away hit with ray of frost and then disintegrate. I don't anticipate my wizard lasting very long into the first round, but it might work. My wizard has the spinning Dwarf companion at mythic right now, but no enchants to increase his damage.

Good luck if you are still trying this event. I agree that if they keep the event at this level of nonsense, the mount should become mythic. But that's asking too much for a two year event in which they made the rewards 'trash level' like @micky1p00 stated.
    edited May 2021
    Well, looks like all you need is love a higher IL. I got tired of this HAMSTER and pushed one of my Fighters to 44k by upgrading 5 more companions to mythic, one of them was the Dedicated Squire from the Paladin Class Pack, didn't have to use potions or stones after that, and for that character the fights have gone from frustrating to just being tedious.

But i guess that was the real reason behind the increase of the event scaling - either upgrade your character or suffer through the event. Can't have players having fun with events these days, right?

Anyway, no changes for my 31k Fighter, i had to burn through several stones and keep my artifact plus mount power on CD to make it through all those enemy waves.
    Want to know why?
    44k warlock can do it, too bad it’s all bound to my Tank, which can’t.
    45k Wizard just can’t cc the mobs and kill them fast enough. Stop time takes so long it gets interrupted. And they move so fast, icy terrain doesn’t have time to proc the control aspect as the ones not knocked over just keep running at you.
    Ray of frost is single target and useless and lightning is so slow and the damage is too minimal as an AOE.
    I even switched to infernal gear and overloads.

Cluster cluck.
  • flyball#6248 flyball Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    I got through 2 days of 5 rounds rogue Assassin 31k using a similar strategy as mentioned by aslan3775. Keeping path of blade up and run run run. using stealth more to avoid attacks and assassinate on the fireball throwers. Only 1 legendary mount (Siege bear) and companion is Abyssal Chicken (which does a decent job cutting the riffraff down. Day 1 I went through 2 scrolls and 30 radiant potions, Day 2 seemed a bit harder 3 scrolls and 25 stone charges. Neither day was "fun" so I saw no reason to continue.

Yes the mount would be nice, but I amused to doing without things that would be nice (like a Xuna or War Triceritops)

My hunter is 28k itl and its just no even worth trying with him.....if my Pally was ready I might consider a tank but he is still sib 80 and will be for another few days and by then it just would be worth trying based on time left for rewards.
    edited May 2021
    Well, i tried Hell Pit with a 30k IL Paladin, and compared to my Fighter with a similar IL it wasn't that much fun either. I did run through this event with several characters before, now doing it with 2 characters is more then enough for me.

It wasn't easy before either, and i had to use Health Stones and Healing Potions too, but since the rewards were on level with the effort, i had no problem with it. More importantly, the rewards would provide those characters with some improvements in the end... but now, it makes more sense to just grind some AD and then simply buy legendary account-wide mounts and legendary mount insignias from the AH directly.

Heck, i don't even have to grind AD atm. for any upgrades, since i still have some Bonding Runestones banked, that i can turn into AD and buy whatever i want with it.

Anyway, not saying the game has to hand me everything on a silver platter, just saying that there's no balance between time/resources invested and rewards delivered at the end here.

Last but not least, to the bean counter in charge at Cryptic, crappy changes like these aren't going to "encourage" me to spend money in NWO again. Fun events, like the one with the chickens, would do the trick, if there were more of them to play around with...
    Want to know why?
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Sincerely, it does not matter if it is low IL, butchered class, wrong gear, wrong skill set or insufficient player skill, the point is if you chuck 20 potions per day in hell pit now, do not think about getting leg mount or insignia out of the hell pit event.

People are saying the rewards are good - but that requires you being able to survive the second and third week as well. If you drink potions now - I consider your chances unlikely. Without the second/third week your reward will be whopping 3 mount tokens... or one mark of pot, rank 4. That is it.

So, technically, you drink the potions purely for a fun experience - or you are being misguided. There is no reward for you if you struggle at week one. Definitely not anything worth more than a stack and half of advanced healing potions.
    Post edited by rikitaki on
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    ...or burning through a Stone of Health.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited May 2021
    Well, i'd say the point is that the Hell Pit event difficulty was raised to frustrating levels for most players, which is just nuts, considering that those players are the ones that would benefit the most from the event rewards. Not to mention that those players are probably still spending some money on the game every now and then, while everyone else probably has no reason for doing that any longer, since there's nothing left worth buying for them.

Another point would be providing player feedback for the Devs, and hoping that they see it, consider it and then dial back the difficulty a bit for the next two rounds. Last time the second week was easier for most of my characters then the first week, have to wait and see if that's the case again now.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11487723
    second part of the STO event campaign is now running, and it's rather easy to just play through - as mentioned before, may be they should try playing that and take some notes on how to create a good experience for all kind of players.
    Want to know why?
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Dial down the scaling to about 20k and above that you're unscaled.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    @regenerde I believe the second week was much much harder than the first one - the new set of mobs had more damage, more health, control powers, debuffs... they had it all. Although, it still was a lottery - you could get lucky with a trivial mixture.
    The third week was certainly easier than the second one, because it had less rounds.
    edited May 2021
    @rikitaki i think the demon rounds were easier then the ones with devils, but i might be wrong here, right now those Zythar demons are a pain in the rear to fight against, 2+ of them can burn through the defenses of my lower IL Fighter pretty quickly, i always kill them first now, even if that might trigger another wave directly.
    Want to know why?
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    regenerde said:

@rikitaki i think the demon rounds were easier then the ones with devils, but i might be wrong here, right now those Zythar demons are a pain in the rear to fight against, 2+ of them can burn through the defenses of my lower IL Fighter pretty quickly, i always kill them first now, even if that might trigger another wave directly.

Demon rounds were harder... I don't have problems with this event with my fighter this time. But my fighter now is far better. What is interesting to me... We have two events for that leg. mount. One (hell pit) is hard and other one is just toooo easy. From one extreme to the other :(
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Yeah, this event is no longer the fun ride it used to be and since I mainly used it to get health stones there's no point this time since I'll be consuming the uses faster than earning them. Just another example of how scaling is a failed waste of resources and worthless design decisions. On the plus side: rejoice! Skipping the event means you can do other things... like try out better and more exciting MMOs without worthless scaling.

Cryptic likes playing stupid games, they can win stupid prizes.
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

Yeah, this event is no longer the fun ride it used to be and since I mainly used it to get health stones there's no point this time since I'll be consuming the uses faster than earning them. Just another example of how scaling is a failed waste of resources and worthless design decisions. On the plus side: rejoice! Skipping the event means you can do other things... like try out better and more exciting MMOs without worthless scaling.

Cryptic likes playing stupid games, they can win stupid prizes.

I love this. So apt. So relevant. So true.

Is it the event is harder or is it that the Combat Rework has nerfed some toons?

Or is it wonky scaling?