test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you think module 21 will be this fall?

2»

Comments

• kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    It will be a retread...of something.

And the intro will be another clunky in-game video, because the talent/budget to do a creative mini-movie like the OG intro or the intro to Ravenloft has clearly departed the studio.

The main selling point will be a new class - not the story or the new gear or anything else. That's assuming they stick to their roadmap from last year.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

I'm thinking new mod will be: City of Heroes

Good lord I hope not!! Cryptic already killed CoH once and some good fans did a Lazarus on it. Now City of Heroes on the various rogue servers (in particular Homecoming) is what the game should have been while being run by the people that should have been running it originally. Fantastic, truly free and play to win, responsive developers, and an amazing community. I played there for a lot of years. Needed a break from superhero play and wanted to try more D&D. That is why I am here. Now I am considering re-visiting Paragon City again. And maybe checking out ESO for more of that D&D development/player based feeling that I am not really seeing here.

I started NWO late 2020 and the game seems to be Swiss cheese with content that was removed and item based. Still enjoyable as I have spent some free time here, but not as satisfying as I was hoping. Like going to a favorite pizza place from your youth that later went franchise and not experiencing the same level of enjoyment. Sure it's decent...but it's not the same.
    To be fair, City of Heroes and City of Villains was created by Cryptic Studios in 2004, ten years before Neverwinter, and back when it was owned by Atari. NCsoft moved the staff from Cryptic Studios to a new location in Mountain View, California, to continue development of the game as Paragon Studios. In 2012, NCsoft terminated its Paragon Studios development team, ending all production on City of Heroes. This team has little to nothing to do with CoH.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • nooneatzanooneatza Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    A fail.
  • flyball#6248 flyball Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    Might be interested seeing a new area expansion into Bloodstone. Wither something like the original adventure Throne of Bloodstone, or the Bloodstone Wars. Where Vallenhaus and Path of the Fallen venture into Hell Bloodstone would venture into the abyss with perhaps a rematch battle with Orcus (this time he is much stronger)

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    I would much rather see a return to the Realms and mortal concerns.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited May 2021

Might be interested seeing a new area expansion into Bloodstone. Wither something like the original adventure Throne of Bloodstone, or the Bloodstone Wars. Where Vallenhaus and Path of the Fallen venture into Hell Bloodstone would venture into the abyss with perhaps a rematch battle with Orcus (this time he is much stronger)

Wow! :+1: Going back to an old '88 edition, that is why I haven't heard about this one. If I were to do this one as a module, I would avoid Vallenhas, the way the developers tend to rework things, and mess up the original in the process. I would have the party find a portal in the woods that transports them 100 years into the past. I would have the setting revisit old school D&D which mean magics works differently because you are before the spellplague. I am not talking about a rework of the mechanics, just have temporary stats while you visit the past. What are your thoughts on that scenario?

@nooneatza ... maybe but let's hope not.
    wb-cenders.gif

yea, my joke was implying the demise of a beloved game, hence the COH reference, in which Cryptic Studios has history with, at least on paper, regardless of all the other moot jargon

"I thought you may have been joking," Wendy replied with a smile, "sometimes I get misunderstood, written communication without the narrative.", as she winked at Lord Manshoon.

:heart:

wb-cenders.gif

Wow! :+1: Going back to an old '88 edition, that is why I haven't heard about this one. If I were to do this one as a module, I would avoid Vallenhas, the way the developers tend to rework things, and mess up the original in the process. I would have the party find a portal in the woods that transports them 100 years into the past. I would have the setting revisit old school D&D which mean magics works differently because you are before the spellplague. I am not talking about a rework of the mechanics, just have temporary stats while you visit the past. What are your thoughts on that scenario?

How old is Minsc?????????It not like he really should be around now isn't it and yet he is here because we all love Boo.

Well I was thinking a 2 stage mod like Avernus. You have several option with the return of the Witch King (being all undead and somewhat immortal create a current timeline where he has come back even stronger due to Spellplague.

Of course like Vallenhaus it can set the state for more outer world forays into the Abyss if you want the original Throne of Bloodstone story involving Orcus, or Heck create there own does not rally matter and how do we know time passes at the same rate in the outer plane...especially in the heart of Chaos with the Abyss. Meaning time travel may not really be necessary.

• hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    I don't know about the rest of what you are discussing, but I do know about this question.

How old is Minsc?????????It not like he really should be around now isn't it and yet he is here because we all love Boo.

Minsc and Boo were brought back to life by wild magic, trapped under the effects of petrifying magic. They both were thought to only be a statue in honor of the warrior and his pet. When you are playing Elemental Evil, Drizzt Do'Urden questions the ranger about his longevity but it just doesn't sink into Minsc's head that he should be long since dead. Simply put, Minsc and Boo pulled off a Buck Rogers and never noticed.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    I was under the impression that when they released Avernus, new mods after that were going to be ever-descending new layers of hell, no idea where I read it, it may have just been a comment somewhere I forget now. I read something about there being multiple layers of hell, all different, and each new mod was going to be one of them. But instead they deleted and re-packaged one of the most loved areas in the game and called it a new mod. So maybe the next mod will be Dread Ring V2. I was reading yesterday about Castle Never and they were writing about some maze in the basement which has it's own life force and where statues would come to life and attack you, I've been playing this game a very long time but am in no way knowledgeable on D&D lore so I have no idea what possibilities are there in what is already in existence, but from what I gather there is a lot of D&D lore out there which is not in this game already and which could be drawn-on to create new mods without needing to re-hash old stuff and delete original maps which people are attached to. Or here's an idea... announce a temporary 2 year pause on new storylines and in that time create a new engine and also fix every single old bug.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.

I was under the impression that when they released Avernus, new mods after that were going to be ever-descending new layers of hell, no idea where I read it, it may have just been a comment somewhere I forget now. I read something about there being multiple layers of hell, all different, and each new mod was going to be one of them. But instead they deleted and re-packaged one of the most loved areas in the game and called it a new mod. So maybe the next mod will be Dread Ring V2. I was reading yesterday about Castle Never and they were writing about some maze in the basement which has it's own life force and where statues would come to life and attack you, I've been playing this game a very long time but am in no way knowledgeable on D&D lore so I have no idea what possibilities are there in what is already in existence, but from what I gather there is a lot of D&D lore out there which is not in this game already and which could be drawn-on to create new mods without needing to re-hash old stuff and delete original maps which people are attached to. Or here's an idea... announce a temporary 2 year pause on new storylines and in that time create a new engine and also fix every single old bug.

Under D&D rules Hell has 9 layers...each with its own ruling arch fiend and 9 being the seat of Asmodeus (the one who corrupted Zariel) There were certainly modules (not official TSR) that offered a decent into Hell one in particular was called inferno which went to layers 1,2,3,4

Castle never certainly has its share of lore and being a fan of NWN2 I have to wonder what happened to the castle's magical defenses...certainly the knight captain did not break them getting the rod for Lord Nasher.

The problem with programs is that there is no such thing as being bug free. bug fixes often times lead to other bugs or create new ones. Thus far since I have been playing any major bug has been completely addressed in a very timely manner. *Major bugs are those that shut down servers, memory leaks etc...and not my weapon does not seem to work right. Fixing weapon/armor/enchantment bonuses and perks are second tier, and even those are addressed relatively quickly if one understands how the fix process works. This is a summary based on my experience with Enterprise level software.

Developers create new content
    Programmers fix existing content

Bug reports come in through a variety of channels (forum, direct reporting etc.)
    Each one is reviewed and a test case is created to attempt to replicate the issue. This also assigns priority to each bug. Server crashing bugs are a higher priority than cosmetic bugs, or this artifacts is not working correctly type bug. What is a priority for you the user does not create the priority for the team.

If bug is replicated a test case is create and fix assigned to a programmer and priority checked
    Programmer checks out the code suspected of having the bug and creates the fix
    When done Code is checked back in.

Unless there is a major major server crashing, game killing bug (like the initial release of the new combat system) fixes are assembled into build releases and released at specific periodicities....monthly, quarterly etc... Major fixes get released ASAP but generally fix fewer things as they are focused on the major bug. The smaller things tend to be things in areas of code that had to be fixed for the major fix and were already checked in.

Developers working on new content or new things like new combat systems also have to apply these same patches to continue new development but have stricter guidelines.

It is a simple process that just take time and a real understanding of priorities.

• unknowndramaunknowndrama Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    Whats the point of new mod ...you know it will be 1 dungeon if we are lucky...1 zone 2 bhe 3 he like 10 quests that no one reads them and another if you put all mods on top of each other they are all the same just difrent names...nothing "reimagined" all boring as hell..old dungeons and skirmishes have mod 6 loot ...who cares..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoqN5aVWaXM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKhzhgXJ_w

Heroic Encounters in Neverwinter not only serve as an additional fun activity for players, they also exist to tie the evolving world episodic story to the main story of the entire module.

Sorry your wrong we hate them to death ..since they added heroics in mod 3 they didnt stopped ..no one likes them everyone hates them if someone actually do heroics is becose they are forced to do not becose they like heroics...
  • thordet91#6067 thordet91 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    > @unknowndrama said:
    > Whats the point of new mod ...you know it will be 1 dungeon if we are lucky...1 zone 2 bhe 3 he like 10 quests that no one reads them and another if you put all mods on top of each other they are all the same just difrent names...nothing "reimagined" all boring as hell..old dungeons and skirmishes have mod 6 loot ...who cares..
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoqN5aVWaXM
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKhzhgXJ_w
    >
    > Heroic Encounters in Neverwinter not only serve as an additional fun activity for players, they also exist to tie the evolving world episodic story to the main story of the entire module.
    >
    > Sorry your wrong we hate them to death ..since they added heroics in mod 3 they didnt stopped ..no one likes them everyone hates them if someone actually do heroics is becose they are forced to do not becose they like heroics...

Agreed, we don’t need new locations, give us 2 dungeons instead of a map with 10 quests
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    > @unknowndrama said:
    > Whats the point of new mod ...you know it will be 1 dungeon if we are lucky...1 zone 2 bhe 3 he like 10 quests

Couldn’t agree more. I really hope that devs will spend time fixing bugs/issues with existing content and even improving existing content (Strongholds, PVP and mastercrafting for example) instead of adding more of the heroic encounters and extremely boring fetch quests.

Maybe @nitocris83 even has an update on the CDP/roadmap that could help enlighten players.
    Elite Whaleboy
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    edited May 2021

Under D&D rules Hell has 9 layers...each with its own ruling arch fiend and 9 being the seat of Asmodeus (the one who corrupted Zariel) There were certainly modules (not official TSR) that offered a decent into Hell one in particular was called inferno which went to layers 1,2,3,4

Castle never certainly has its share of lore and being a fan of NWN2 I have to wonder what happened to the castle's magical defenses...certainly the knight captain did not break them getting the rod for Lord Nasher.

The problem with programs is that there is no such thing as being bug free. bug fixes often times lead to other bugs or create new ones. Thus far since I have been playing any major bug has been completely addressed in a very timely manner. *Major bugs are those that shut down servers, memory leaks etc...and not my weapon does not seem to work right. Fixing weapon/armor/enchantment bonuses and perks are second tier, and even those are addressed relatively quickly if one understands how the fix process works. This is a summary based on my experience with Enterprise level software.

Developers create new content
    Programmers fix existing content

Bug reports come in through a variety of channels (forum, direct reporting etc.)
    Each one is reviewed and a test case is created to attempt to replicate the issue. This also assigns priority to each bug. Server crashing bugs are a higher priority than cosmetic bugs, or this artifacts is not working correctly type bug. What is a priority for you the user does not create the priority for the team.

If bug is replicated a test case is create and fix assigned to a programmer and priority checked
    Programmer checks out the code suspected of having the bug and creates the fix
    When done Code is checked back in.

Unless there is a major major server crashing, game killing bug (like the initial release of the new combat system) fixes are assembled into build releases and released at specific periodicities....monthly, quarterly etc... Major fixes get released ASAP but generally fix fewer things as they are focused on the major bug. The smaller things tend to be things in areas of code that had to be fixed for the major fix and were already checked in.

Developers working on new content or new things like new combat systems also have to apply these same patches to continue new development but have stricter guidelines.

It is a simple process that just take time and a real understanding of priorities.

You will read many posts from many users who state that various bugs have been around for an extremely long time and are never ever addressed. That's what I was really referring to.

*edit* yea that part about the layers of hell is what I read somewhere. I had the impression the new mods were going to go through all those layers.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    If they are continuing the shoot their own foot method by removing content then Frostmaiden would be the best bet as a modified version could cull out Heart of Fire, Elemental Evil, Icewind Dale, Storm King's Thunder and even Strongholds if they swing the story that way. In theory they could also age out Tyranny of Dragons and fold Tiamat into an Avernus expansion since she has a lair there.
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

If they are continuing the shoot their own foot method by removing content then Frostmaiden would be the best bet as a modified version could cull out Heart of Fire, Elemental Evil, Icewind Dale, Storm King's Thunder and even Strongholds if they swing the story that way. In theory they could also age out Tyranny of Dragons and fold Tiamat into an Avernus expansion since she has a lair there.

Not going to lie - getting rid of HoF and EE would totally make a new mod worth it, even if all they did was recycle IWD maps.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited May 2021

If they are going to remove content they might as well just close things down right away. IMO, the Sharandar rework was a mistake, with the new area less fun than the old one.....and the Arcane Reservoir used to be one of my favorite places to go.

Or, on second thought, if they want to remove AI, by all means go ahead.
    Post edited by adinosii on
    Hoping for improvements...
    adinosii said:

If they are going to remove content they might as well, just close things down right away. IMO, the Sharandar rework was a mistake, with the new area less fun than the old one.....and the Arcane Reservoir used to be one of my favorite places to go.

Or, on second thought, if they want to remove AI, by all means go ahead.
    I couldn't agree more, but I am being told that a few actually like the New Sharandar and Heart of Fire (A.I. module 15). There is no accounting for some player's taste. I quit wishing the Neverwinter team would do us right about 2 years ago. They could have left old Sharandar alone and made this new icon pop up on the map when you hit level 80. Then use module 1 completion as a requirement gain access. They probably burned the bridges to revert it back or even replace it. I know how eager they are to wipe the database.

As I have told everyone, I only play the weekends now, but I was busy this week and didn't do more than login to check mail. I look at the forums, they are still dead here, more than ever before. Yesterday (May 9th) there was only a total of 3 topics discussed in General PC, 1 or 2 topics in XB1, and PS4. I don't play DDO anymore, but I dropped by their forums to compare notes. I found 24 topics being discussed on May 9th. Most are complaints, but the massive amount of debate, tells me people are actively playing the game over there.

I also heard Chris Whiteside quit, left, or was dismissed. Not that we need to know this information, according to them we only need to drool over the upcoming release of Magic and enjoy Neverwinter until then. I will make the prediction (not many will like this), I foresee a repeat of module 17. We get some non-campaign module, maybe rewards and boons, maybe not, lack of story content. Also the new class will get introduced, it will arrive broken upon release and most likely break other classes. Over the fall months they will nerf the classes to fix the balance of the new class they added. I really hope I am wrong about all of it. I still half-way expect them to remove another module to squeeze in the new module 21.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited May 2021

I will make the prediction (not many will like this), I foresee a repeat of module 17. We get some non-campaign module, maybe rewards and boons, maybe not, lack of story content. Also the new class will get introduced, it will arrive broken upon release and most likely break other classes. Over the fall months they will nerf the classes to fix the balance of the new class they added. I really hope I am wrong about all of it. I still half-way expect them to remove another module to squeeze in the new module 21.

I have no idea what the overall theme of mod 21 will be, so I can speculate all I want. Last year I predicted M20 would basically include the Frostmaiden and an expansion to Icewind Dale. I was wrong about that, and introducing that content now would be too late now. Maybe if WotC introduces a new setting/module very soon, then M21 might be scheduled to include something related to that.

I am also hoping that we will get a proper rework of the crafting system, but well..I guess I have to wait a bit to see if that's the case.
    Hoping for improvements...