test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hell Pit Sadness and Remorse Over The state of NW

callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
*sigh*

I used to look forward to the challenge of Hell Pit, ran the previous versions to the very end and boy was it hard at times.

And now, after the combat rework I switched main to healer, for fun, and for a change.

So a healer build cant solo Hell Pit [or can it? I cant see how myself]

Do I want to spend a shed load of gold moving my enchants back onto a dps char? No not really.

Do I want to waste time balancing an old DPS toon? No not really.

I realise this is a sad state of affairs and reflects me ever growing sense of frustration with where the game has gone in the last year or two.

I feel sad, but this time I may give the Hell Pit a miss - especially as you have to complete every 21 days to get the groovy rewards.

Can someone clarify what the buy out actually give you?

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    If you aimed to get the legendary mount, basically, you have to play all these events with one character.

You probably knew that healer role character is "challenge" to get through all these dps oriented events before combat rework. Even if you could do it before, you didn't really want to do that with a healer. In short, these dps solo event is not for healer before and after combat change.

Not sure how much 'gold' you are talking about but is it really something to 'care' about?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    You can use a DPS loadout on the cleric, not gear it up and see how well scaling works for you. You can see in the patch notes that they challange us to gear up how we like and take scaling for a ride! But truth be told, I would not look forward to this if I mained a DC either.

From todays patch notes:
    "Characters above this item level are not scaled down; please feel free to rip and/or tear as desired, until the event is done."

I know when I last ran HP I chose to lower my IL below the recommended and let the system scale me up. This time around I will walk in the door fully geared and see what it offers for a challange!
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    I was never bothered about the Leg Mount so thats not an issue.

And yeah DPS loadout on my cleric might be worth trying.
    reg1981 said:

You can use a DPS loadout on the cleric, not gear it up and see how well scaling works for you. You can see in the patch notes that they challange us to gear up how we like and take scaling for a ride! But truth be told, I would not look forward to this if I mained a DC either.

From todays patch notes:
    "Characters above this item level are not scaled down; please feel free to rip and/or tear as desired, until the event is done."

I know when I last ran HP I chose to lower my IL below the recommended and let the system scale me up. This time around I will walk in the door fully geared and see what it offers for a challange!

So if you are item level 50k then you should be able to shred the enemies? Is that what you are saying?

edited April 2021

reg1981 said:

From todays patch notes:

So if you are item level 50k then you should be able to shred the enemies? Is that what you are saying?

Actually, DPS cleric can be easier in hell pit setting than melee only fighters.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

reg1981 said:

From todays patch notes:

Actually, DPS cleric can be easier in hell pit setting than melee only fighters.
    Yes - good point, but all my equipment and stuff is geared towards healing. I will give it a shot anyways ;)
    Tried it. Wow. Just got annihilated on 2 different toons.

Way harder than last time.

Not for me.

Again, I feel sad that something I enjoyed [a challenge for sure] is either broken or WaI but not for my toons.

Really quite upset about this being honest.

Wiped round 1 on day 1 after literally 20-30 seconds
    edited April 2021
    For me, the difference between now and the past is caused by the self-healing nerf (insignia bonuses). I did not need to drink health potion or using in game bonus or artifact or mount attack or daily on day 1 in the past. Today, I used all the them.

For me, the difference between now and the past is caused by the self-healing nerf (insignia bonuses). I did not need to drink health potion or using in game bonus or artifact or mount attack or daily on day 1 in the past. Today, I used all the them.

Yeah, I actually feel a bit liberated in a weird way. Like I dont *have* to worry about completing it this time. If this is Day 1...

Anyhow - would love to hear other peoples thoughts as well

Yeah, I actually feel a bit liberated in a weird way. Like I dont *have* to worry about completing it this time. If this is Day 1...

Anyhow - would love to hear other peoples thoughts as well
    My 40k barbarian (the one which I have been using) did not have too much trouble. I (myself) am rusty though. A quick change of approach got that done. I would say it is still 'easy' because my barbarian can still one-shot certain monster. But, it is day one though.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    39k Dreadnought, much harder to play through then last time, even with better equipment/enchantments and so on.
    29k Justicar, had to switch to an augment, the normal epic companions i have on that character are just useless in the pit, and it was a pain to play through, felt like playing through week 3 and not 1.

ITEM LEVEL UPDATE: Hell Pit no longer has an item level restriction, and players of all item levels will be scaled appropriately to be able to participate
    not sure how that's working exactly, but it feels like they still can't find the spot where content is challenging but fun and not just frustrating.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • riccaone#8845 riccaone Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    51k warlock Dps here, used to have fun with this event. Now I am getting beaten on round one. Don't want to find complex startegies or use resources to beat it, just hoped to have some fun and get mount with fifth token. After they have ruined queus with extra long time needed to beat old easy places now they have ruined hell pit. Hope next time we'll get dream event, at least that was in group.
  • oberonsghostoberonsghost Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Hell pit day 1.
    Went in with 99 radiant healing potions came out with 35. Died so much I started using divine injury kits.
    Completed it, but no intention of ever doing it again.
    My main character is 40K IL Arcane Wizard so I guess it's my fault really.
    I used to play this game to unwind.....
  • johnnystranger#5900 johnnystranger Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    45K Ranger warden made it to round two used a lot of potions as well. Just not worth it anymore this is week one it’s going to get ramped up even more week to what’s the point? I even change the mill powers to give me some heels with Chris hits everything and it’s a Knogo. I didn’t let anything get behind me as much as I could and I still got pounded hard and heavy.
    I tossed in the white towel , good job Neverwinter
  • pspoonpspoon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Hell Pit is complete garbage. I can't make it past round 1 on my Control Wiz 36K IL. Not fun, not challenging, not at all anything that I will waste my time trying to do. Thanks so much Devs. Do you even play your own game, for sure you like to Troll us, good on you, this is awesome Troll content.
  • johnnystranger#5900 johnnystranger Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    Sorry for the typos in my prior post . I used Siri , lol .
    Swapped mount powers , for heals on Crits etc . Even went as far as stripping naked . Didn’t work for me .
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    They made it harder and still havent fixed any of the bugs....how hard is it to remove the super glue from the entrance??!?!?!?!? Thats when I knew I might as well pass. I might try healer loadout for my lock tomorrow as I recall having switch to it to get through the last hell pit. although from the OPs comments that will likely not work...but will see... If only my lock had the defense capabilities of the locks in Sharandar Ep2 area.
  • rey007#5400 rey007 Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    Hell Pit after the combat rework has made the event more challenging for sure. I took my 39k Warden Ranger and I did not too well. I used quite a few health potions but got it done today. From what I noticed is if your DPS output isn't high enough, the incoming mobs are spawning before you kill the current one which adds to the challenge. For a Day 1 event, this was painful and I will have to tweak my load-out for the rest of the event.
    - Rey

- in umbra igitur pugnabimus!
  • acrinicusacrinicus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    50K Warlock. Difficulty is about the same as before due to the tactics used to beat it. The combat advantage changes are what will kill you, so I don't recommend trying to take the mobs head on like some people have done in videos on Youtube. Here is what I did to sail through it smoothly.

1) Make sure you are faster than the mobs. Use Gladiator's Guile or gear that provides a speed boost of some kind. The speed boon can also help. This is a bit easier for tanks who get a speed boost already.

2) Equip as many ranged AOE attacks as you can. This is admittedly more challenging for tanks.

3) When you enter the pit, kite everything around the exterior. When you are 30' or more ahead of the mob, turn around and toss an AOE attack at them, then resume kiting. Rinse and repeat. You need to kill them about as fast as they spawn, which I *think* is something like 22 seconds unless you are killing them real quickly. Grab the power up when you run by it. If the mobs get too close to you, use your tab ability to evade / block and get away.

4) When a ranged bad guy spawns, focus your AOE attacks on them. They tend to bunch up, making this a bit easier. You may have to maneuver to get line of sight. It is important to take down these ranged attackers as they will really kill you. The melee bad guys can be kited for days.

5) Have healing potions or a heal encounter ready (I use vampiric embrace on warlock). You may need to heal once in awhile. Due to vampiric embrace, I didn't really need to use pots, but based on how much damage I was taking while kiting, I suspect pots will get the job done. Potion boon(s) can help.

6) When the timer is at about 60-70 seconds, pop your power up and finish strong. Regeneration (heart) and shield are best and will ensure you do not die while kiting, but movement speed is helpful to quickly get to the ranged guys and take them down.

This is a "run and poke" event. Tomorrow I will try my GF and see how it goes. I hope this helps some of you, and best of luck in the hell pit.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I had never done this before.
    I was far too casual and the item level usually kept me out of these "special challenges".

My lack of a guild or in-game friends was not an obstacle for this, though, and I have been working on the one character that I spend any time playing to get their item level up (though it ended up not mattering).

But it's a paladin. If someone has some hints for how a tank is supposed to get this done, I'll listen.

I thought that the object was to make it through one wave for the participation and then you would get challenge tokens for going further, but having to beat five waves just for participation?

I never got close to making it through wave two, and out of the several times I tried, I only got through wave one once and that was fluky.

I had never done this before.
    I was far too casual and the item level usually kept me out of these "special challenges".

My lack of a guild or in-game friends was not an obstacle for this, though, and I have been working on the one character that I spend any time playing to get their item level up (though it ended up not mattering).

But it's a paladin. If someone has some hints for how a tank is supposed to get this done, I'll listen.

I thought that the object was to make it through one wave for the participation and then you would get challenge tokens for going further, but having to beat five waves just for participation?

I never got close to making it through wave two, and out of the several times I tried, I only got through wave one once and that was fluky.

Yes, you need to finish them all to get one participation token. After you did that 7 times (once per day), it goes to the 2nd tier (harder). Another 7 days, it goes to 3rd tier. After you get 14 successes (14 days), you get a token of achievement. You start to get token of challenge from 15th success (15th day) to 21st success.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Pro Tip Using Terrain to your advantage ,,: find the "safer" ledge spot up in the rocks and let time bleed down doing most of the "work" for you ..only attack mobs at range that agro on you. .clearing enemies "faster" only makes them respawn faster ... when round time is up jump down take the super buffs on the ground that soak up/ deal damage and kill the last mobs of the wave..Rince and repeat ..

This will not work in later weeks of hell pits as smoothly as . Random mobs have more range attacks to reach you to knock you off in later iterations of the hell pit map event
    acrinicus said:

50K Warlock. Difficulty is about the same as before due to the tactics used to beat it. The combat advantage changes are what will kill you, so I don't recommend trying to take the mobs head on like some people have done in videos on Youtube. Here is what I did to sail through it smoothly.

1) Make sure you are faster than the mobs. Use Gladiator's Guile or gear that provides a speed boost of some kind. The speed boon can also help. This is a bit easier for tanks who get a speed boost already.

2) Equip as many ranged AOE attacks as you can. This is admittedly more challenging for tanks.

3) When you enter the pit, kite everything around the exterior. When you are 30' or more ahead of the mob, turn around and toss an AOE attack at them, then resume kiting. Rinse and repeat. You need to kill them about as fast as they spawn, which I *think* is something like 22 seconds unless you are killing them real quickly. Grab the power up when you run by it. If the mobs get too close to you, use your tab ability to evade / block and get away.

4) When a ranged bad guy spawns, focus your AOE attacks on them. They tend to bunch up, making this a bit easier. You may have to maneuver to get line of sight. It is important to take down these ranged attackers as they will really kill you. The melee bad guys can be kited for days.

5) Have healing potions or a heal encounter ready (I use vampiric embrace on warlock). You may need to heal once in awhile. Due to vampiric embrace, I didn't really need to use pots, but based on how much damage I was taking while kiting, I suspect pots will get the job done. Potion boon(s) can help.

6) When the timer is at about 60-70 seconds, pop your power up and finish strong. Regeneration (heart) and shield are best and will ensure you do not die while kiting, but movement speed is helpful to quickly get to the ranged guys and take them down.

This is a "run and poke" event. Tomorrow I will try my GF and see how it goes. I hope this helps some of you, and best of luck in the hell pit.

Yeah I used this tactic both previous times. last two times it was a fun challenge, now its major overkill. I am a long standing player who has run this event all times previously. This time the incoming damage is way higher than last times.

I stood back to wall, no real difference, still dead in 10 seconds. Tried running. BOOM killed by ranged DPS. Tried a few tactics, but I want a fun event, the challenge was just about right before. Not now.

This time though you have to be able to kill/out-DPS the entire gang chasing you in one rotation or less - i.e. take down up to 8 mobs, which is very difficult if you want to stay alive.

It can work for some toons and not others. Some Alliance members said they thought it was the same as last time, others gave up rage-quitting in frustration.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    50K fighter

tbh very easy run - used one health pot at the start because I forgot to equip second wind. After that didn't need pots or the powerups

is boring tho and you need to make sure you position yourself to avoid CA damage
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Well, if someone can't feel a difference between before and now, then i guess they already had maxed out characters during the last round... so yeah, for them there's little to no change at all, for the rest of us it's like a mountain of youknowwhat dropped right at our feet and our shovel being reduced to a teaspoon.

31k Vanguard, had no problems playing through the event before, died once this time and had to use a Scroll of Life, plus kept a Stone of Health on constant cooldown to get through it.
    Avoiding CA is pretty much impossible - unless you can burn through a wave within a few seconds - i had a run with those fire mages enemies right now, and they spread out all over the place as soon as you get into melee range... it's was just one big mess.

Can anyone remember when events were times where former players would return to the game and continue playing it?
    Yeah, me neither...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • melotai#0794 melotai Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    38K TR, did not notice much of a difference for me, except that I had an active companion summoned instead of my augment. My potion use stayed about the same with me using 1 or 2 of them during a few of the stages.

in terms of weapons and equipment the only real difference is the mirage weapon set that seems to provide a significant increase in her DPS output.

The demogorgon set is still equipped on my TR and has not changed since she got the full set sometime during mod 14 or 15.

Based upon my experience with previous runs for this event then it will get easier after day 7 and the final battle will be boring as hell.
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    Considering the quality of the rewards from the Hell Pit event, difficulty seems good as it is right now. If anything, I would love to see an increase to week 1 difficulty.
    Elite Whaleboy
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I've been looking at the classes of those giving feedback and from what I can infer so far, it seems that classes with decent defensive stats (particularly Awareness) appear to have less of an issue?

Pallys & Fighters have the Defence forte & usually stack Awareness anyway - barbs & warlocks also have Awareness as a forte. I'd also guess that TR's need to have not only high Deflect but also the feat Master of Shadows to pop stealth twice as often?

Those saying they find it very hard appear to mostly be Clerics, Wizards and Rangers - but I'm not surprised Kalina didn't have a problem as I know he's an extremely experienced pvp player.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • pspoonpspoon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I managed to complete the 5 rounds on my 27K IL rogue 2 res scrolls and a lot of potions. It was impossible on my 36K wiz, my main which I realize now was a massive mistake, Wiz is in such a bad place right now.c I couldn't survive even one minute of the first round. Hell Pit is a perfect example of what I consider to be a major problem with this game. Pay to win. If you aren't fully geared most of the endgame content isn't playable. Or you end up using a lot of scrolls and stones which you buy with zen. If you want to be able to play events like the hell pit, it means buying companions, mounts, upgrade tokens, etc... in the Zen store. Cryptic doesn't even try to pretend there is another way, oh well yes you can spend a few years grinding everything out, which I am doing. With the AD cap, it's one good item from the AH per month, including enchants, and the like. So I can look forward to start my 1 year Hell Pit event grind in 2 years or so...
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    > @pspoon said:
    > I managed to complete the 5 rounds on my 27K IL rogue 2 res scrolls and a lot of potions. It was impossible on my 36K wiz, my main which I realize now was a massive mistake, Wiz is in such a bad place right now.c I couldn't survive even one minute of the first round. Hell Pit is a perfect example of what I consider to be a major problem with this game. Pay to win. If you aren't fully geared most of the endgame content isn't playable. Or you end up using a lot of scrolls and stones which you buy with zen. If you want to be able to play events like the hell pit, it means buying companions, mounts, upgrade tokens, etc... in the Zen store. Cryptic doesn't even try to pretend there is another way, oh well yes you can spend a few years grinding everything out, which I am doing. With the AD cap, it's one good item from the AH per month, including enchants, and the like. So I can look forward to start my 1 year Hell Pit event grind in 2 years or so...

This is perfectly doable without spending as much as 1 zen.
    Elite Whaleboy