test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bring back the players

The number of people forming ToMM runs has dropped significantly. I rarely see anybody doing MZC. Only 6 people online from my friends list. Only 4 online in my guild. Its 7pm on a Sunday, there used to be a lot more people around at this time. I know the number of players ebbs and flows in between Mods but we're only a few weeks into the newest one, it shouldn't be this dead. I'm not trying to be an alarmist screaming the game is dead, but it certainly is tonight.

My suggestion for the Devs would be to push up the next episode in the campaign so people have more to do in Sharandar. I've run VoS numerous times now but once you've got your drop from each boss there's not much incentive to keep running it all week. It's a major consumables dump, especially when the bosses suddenly turn their cone attacks and insta-kill you. Also, for the next mod you should consider adding a Skirmish in addition to the Dungeon or Trial so the lower level players can experience new content as well. Even if the campaign is locked out to them because of item level, having something new to run that the higher level players in their guild could enjoy too would help everyone.

But more importantly, fix the rewards system. Nobody wants to spend a half hour or more in dungeon if the reward at the end are Blackened Jaw gear or a black opal. I've seen some very detailed posts here with great suggestions on fixing the reward system and RNG in general. I hope the Dev team is actively considering them and working to implement changes asap.

TLDR: People are bored and the rewards suck.
Tagged:

Comments

• jman3l#5579 jman3l Member Posts: 302 Arc User

The number of people forming ToMM runs has dropped significantly. I rarely see anybody doing MZC. Only 6 people online from my friends list. Only 4 online in my guild. Its 7pm on a Sunday, there used to be a lot more people around at this time. I know the number of players ebbs and flows in between Mods but we're only a few weeks into the newest one, it shouldn't be this dead. I'm not trying to be an alarmist screaming the game is dead, but it certainly is tonight.

My suggestion for the Devs would be to push up the next episode in the campaign so people have more to do in Sharandar. I've run VoS numerous times now but once you've got your drop from each boss there's not much incentive to keep running it all week. It's a major consumables dump, especially when the bosses suddenly turn their cone attacks and insta-kill you. Also, for the next mod you should consider adding a Skirmish in addition to the Dungeon or Trial so the lower level players can experience new content as well. Even if the campaign is locked out to them because of item level, having something new to run that the higher level players in their guild could enjoy too would help everyone.

But more importantly, fix the rewards system. Nobody wants to spend a half hour or more in dungeon if the reward at the end are Blackened Jaw gear or a black opal. I've seen some very detailed posts here with great suggestions on fixing the reward system and RNG in general. I hope the Dev team is actively considering them and working to implement changes asap.

TLDR: People are bored and the rewards suck.

Yeah its because they made a trash mod 11 weapon set best in slot for dps. It renders lionhearts and celestials useless. The rings are worthless also. This is why.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    People dont run ToMM only for weapons, people run ToMM for profit. Rings are pretty expensive now and halaster scepter too

You just have to compare Zariel and ToMM. People run ToMM every day. Zariel is a desert.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • franciscoperolafranciscoperola Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    I fully agree that, now, it is very difficult to make some random dungeons, but not just because of the lack of veteran players, but, essentially, because the new players have very little experience, even when they reach level 80. I put a post on the forum on this subject and I will not repeat it. But Cryptic has to do something to correct this disastrous situation.
  • cracklepants#2252 cracklepants Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    I don't mind that Mirage are BiS for many DPS. I don't like that all the recent dungeons are designed to exclude a large majority of the players. Can I run TOMM and Zariel? Yes, but I don't. I don't like mechanics that have that tight a tolerance, and I don't like the stat balance game. I want to relax and have fun. Also, myself and many of the people that I run with don't like to do the end-game dungeons because the lag severely effects those of us that are not playing on a higher-end box (yes, I have adjusted my settings. It no longer helps.) We have seen a good number of guildies coming back now that BiS is a suggestion, not "mUSt haVe CeleSTiaLs! or oOh mUh lioNhEArts!" and they don't feel forced to spend their free time training for content in an online game.
  • unknowndramaunknowndrama Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    Dont espect to be better whit mod 20 episode 2..its all about midless heroics farm to death..and you know how much "fun" and crazy about heroics we are...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63zyVfzH34Q
    45K Shattered diamonds = 12 pieces of companion gear..
    So..100 diamonds arround 35 he or 45 m he ...you do the math..is this content fun to log in game?
    I dont know...not for me..
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User

Dont espect to be better whit mod 20 episode 2..its all about midless heroics farm to death..and you know how much "fun" and crazy about heroics we are...

45K Shattered diamonds = 12 pieces of companion gear..
    So..100 diamonds arround 35 he or 45 m he ...you do the math..is this content fun to log in game?
    I dont know...not for me..

Agree, RNG to get BIS gear... Again. And very low RNG.

This gear should be BoE, I dont know why this need to be BtA, they are scared of bots farming diamonds? I dont think NW have bot problems this days... they are elsewhere. Not much players to sell their stuff here.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I can do a census this morning, it would be more accurate with more census takers, but everyone I know left town.

Should be done in about 30 to 40 minutes, I will report the population within reason. However a precise mathematical statement about the total PC population is plus or minus 5% because the players move around a bit. Also you would get a higher sample on the weekend during peak hours. I will be right back...

Here is what I found.

Port Nyanzaru = 8
    Soshenstar River = 15
    Lost City of Omu = 12
    Undermountain = 44
    Stardock = 1
    Vallenhas = 96
    Avernus = 116
    ===

New Sharandar = 52
    Barovia = 37
    Dread Ring = 22
    Well of Dragons = 25
    Mantol-Derith = 2
    Bryn Shander = 23
    Lonelywood = 7
    Cold Run = 9
    Sea of Moving Ice = 19
    Icewind Pass = 17
    Dwarven Valley = 3
    Caer-Konig = 8
    ===

Elemental Evil
    DS = 5
    RR = 8
    FP = 1
    SR = 4
    ===

Ebon Downs = 14
    Blackdagger = 20
    Hotennow = 8
    Pirate Skyhold = 5
    Vellosk = 6
    Helm's Hold = 16
    Icespire Peak = 12
    Rothe Valley = 8
    Whispering Caverns = 10
    ===

PE
    11x15 = 165
    2x14 =28
    +52
    ====

Blacklake = 20
    Tower District = 32
    Neverdeath Graveyard = 24
    River District = 69
    The Chasm = 7
    ===

990 Total Online (excluded are Strongholds and Dungeons)
    Tuesday morning 5:45 to 6:15 AM EST

Port Nyanzaru = 29
    Soshenstar River = 26
    Lost City of Omu = 18
    Undermountain = 95
    Stardock = 13
    Vallenhas = 149
    Avernus = 231
    ===

New Sharandar = 109
    Barovia = 44
    Dread Ring = 58
    Well of Dragons = 60
    Mantol-Derith = 18
    Bryn Shander = 32
    Lonelywood = 11
    Cold Run = 5
    Sea of Moving Ice = 22
    Icewind Pass = 16
    Dwarven Valley = 5
    Caer-Konig = 16
    ===

Elemental Evil
    DS = 14
    RR = 19
    FP = 12
    SR = 10
    ===

Ebon Downs = 20
    Blackdagger = 49
    Hotenow = 27
    Pirate Skyhold = 22
    Vellosk = 16
    Helm's Hold = 37
    Icespire Peak = 26
    Rothe Valley = 14
    Whispering Caverns = 32
    ===

PE
    38x15=570
    2x14=28
    3x13=39
    +77
    ====

Blacklake = 46
    Tower District = 78
    Neverdeath Graveyard = 64
    River District = 82
    The Chasm = 134
    ===

2373 Total Online (excluded are Strongholds and Dungeons)
    Tuesday afternoon 1 PM to 1:30 PM EST

I notice Avernus has more people in it than New Sharandar. In both counts, twice as many players in module 19, than module 20. Undermountain module 16 is almost tied with New Sharandar.
    Post edited by sandukutupu on
    wb-cenders.gif
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    There's more to do and attractions in Avernus than in New Sharandar, simple. There are still two episodes of New Sharandar to be released, but from what I see, this style of campaign ing with episodes did not enthuse most of the community, even if it pleased me.
    I think the players will return, if or when they hear part 2 is available. Until then, I am making the most of Barovia for this week and plan to vanish until part 2 arrives. I am expecting it late this month or early next month. From what I posted above the population seems pretty normal for this time of year. Every now and then people will post a thread claiming the population is dropping. It does drop for a variety of reasons;
    • No content, nothing to explore, nothing new to do. This is a big factor due to this module being fast and easy to finish.
    • Spring is here, today I went out for a ride on my scooter, enjoying the weather.
    • Other new online games have more appeal and offer a new experiences. I am currently dividing my time on two new games this summer.
    • People are leaving their caves. Covid is almost to an end, regardless of what the media is saying, the majority of my apartment building (including myself and husband) got Covid back in early February. I have heart and lung problems and didn't find it any worse than any other flu. My husband was sicker but neither of us went into the hospital over the experience. My sister spent 2 months in the hospital over Covid.
    Neverwinter and many other games have to work harder keeping the users they do have and attracting new players. The popularity of any online game ebbs over the course of time. I know this game is about to lose more players when they release Magic Legends. I am not interested in Magic, but others will be. I have no doubt Cryptic will put more support and focus behind ML once it starts up. I don't know how many players will return to the game, I hope to see them this fall. Two things will happen this fall that might increase player population; they have promised us a new class, and the next module should be ready to drop.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    I can't believe you're falling so far. If I were to bet, I'd bet on growth, as there are predictions for a TV series and a D&D movie, plus another game released with characters you can find here in Neverwinter. If I were to bet, I'd bet on growth, as there are predictions for a TV series and a D&D movie, plus another game released with characters you can find here in Neverwinter. People who like the story are sure to pick up other content and many of them may appearr around here.
    edited April 2021

I can't believe you're falling so far. If I were to bet, I'd bet on growth, as there are predictions for a TV series and a D&D movie, plus another game released with characters you can find here in Neverwinter. If I were to bet, I'd bet on growth, as there are predictions for a TV series and a D&D movie, plus another game released with characters you can find here in Neverwinter. People who like the story are sure to pick up other content and many of them may appearr around here.

I just looked that up, 2022 "Dungeons & Dragons" with cast of Regé-Jean Page, Chris Pine, Sophia Lillis, Michelle Rodriguez, Hugh Grant and Justice Smith. Anything will be better than the 2000 slop with Justin Whalin and Jeremy Irons. Hope we get good writers. Movies normally supply a fresh new group, as some have noticed with Star Trek Online. That movie release date is probably 14 to 19 months away.

As for my census, someone in game chat asked, "How are you sure your numbers are accurate? It is not like you work at Cryptic Studios.". For all the doubting Thomas in the room, it is not 100% accurate but pretty damn close. There is a thing called the uncertainty principle, where a person counts chickens in a pen, and since they will not stand still, there is about a 5% chance they counted the same bird twice or missed one.

Anyone can do what I did. Make a list of all or most the zones in a text editor. In the game, start with the least populated as they are the easiest. Press O key to bring up "Social Menu", choose "Find Person" tab, copy/paste the zone name and enter. If the total at the bottom is under 100, then you are done. For the others like PE you may need to visit. Avernus was over 100, but not by much, I keyed in Avernus #1 and got the amount in each instance until they stopped. If it stops, try at least 2 more just in case there is a break in the sequence. In Protector's Enclave, I open the change instance menu and sort by population. This afternoon there was 38 maps full 15 players, 2 reported 14, 3 at 13, the rest was simple to add up to 77.

I added up subtotals, totals, and came up with a population. I didn't count strongholds and dungeons. Every so often people will use Steam and others will criticize that Steam numbers are not accurate, due to Arc, and players, such as myself, who don't use either one. I believe the very best way, I have performed this census in the past is to get 3 or more players all counting within the same hour then compare counts. Assuming the people search engine is working, then your census should be very accurate.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    For what it is worth, PE was experiencing significant lag this morning. I just about quit the entire game after playing for 4 years because once again an event is in PE and the instances can't handle the increase in animation and traffic. I logged off at around 12:30 EDT, and I don't know if there was a general reboot of the servers/instances later in the afternoon. By 7 PM the lag was gone and I was able to finish all my PE quests. But, I'm just saying that performance issues during limited-time events greatly impact the morale of the players. Thanks for the snapshot of the health of the game, we shall see what the future holds.