test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time to say something positive about the game.

sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
The forum is looking somewhat jaded. I recall days, I would post a comment here, and when I returned a few hours later it would be buried on page 2. Now the bottom of the page is March 14th and my avatar is showing far too frequently. Since March 15th I only commented about 16 times here, that is an average of 1.6 posts per day. Most of the topics on here are dark, gloom, or just doom prophecies.

Let's see what we can say, positive about the game Neverwinter Online.

1. It is still here, online hasn't died yet. I know some people say, low population is the death of a game, but I define it by the day I can no longer log in and play. You cannot put an exact number on low population, zero is my number.
2. Graphics are still pleasing for an 8 year old game with a 12 year old core engine.
3. The new campaign is very casual friendly as I have part one done by playing only on the weekends.
4. Looking forward to see what they have planned for the 8th anniversary.
5. Looking forward to finding out, if my suspicions are true and the next class is druid.
6. I plan to play all week on here April 1st to the 8th. The 2x currency in Ravenloft, Astral lockbox returns, plus a 15% discount in the Wondrus Bazaar.
7. While I am not into giant chicken mounts, they also return with the event April 1st.

Remember to think unicorns, sunshine, and rainbows! :heart:
wb-cenders.gif

Comments

• mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User

The forum is looking somewhat jaded. I recall days, I would post a comment here, and when I returned a few hours later it would be buried on page 2. Now the bottom of the page is March 14th and my avatar is showing far too frequently. Since March 15th I only commented about 16 times here, that is an average of 1.6 posts per day.

Yeah, I was just noticing the same. The activity here on official forums has dropped dramatically.

That is also the case on Reddit.. and a lot of the Reddit posts these days are newbies asking for basic advice.

So even your post is meant to be positive for the game, I am afraid you are pointing out that the player activity of the game seems to have a big problem.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    The forum activity is also because the lack of official comments.

Even a casual comment of a developer in any post makes a lot. When you start thinking that your post arent readed or they just dont care, people stop posting.

I think they care, and also think they do read, but they dont have time to answer.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Yep, not much happening on the forums. Forum is somewhat dead, barely a thing in the Class section.

Very much mirrors what I am seeing in the game - some new players are there but most of the experienced players are gone or taking a break.

However I do like the colour scheme in the OP - bravo!
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    lantern22 said:

However I do like the colour scheme in the OP - bravo!

I use this page to do the color schemes; https://www.stuffbydavid.com/textcolorizer

:heart:

wb-cenders.gif
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Personally, I hate old Sharandar. It is the area I always avoided to go.

I heard people like it but I could not understand.

People said it was beautiful but I always consider it was ugly.

People said the new Sharandar is jammed with mobs. I consider the old Sharanadar was jammed with mobs. One way or the other, no matter how careful I was, I could trigger red cap in old Sharandar. I don't have such annoyance in the new Sharandar. I think it is probably because there were many walking around red cap in Old sharandar. For example, in the middle of cleaning a group, another group would walk by.

People said the trip in new Sharandar is long. No, not really. Not for me anyway. I guess it may be because I have VIP signpost and uses the portal stone. In the Old Sharandar, after you get through the portal, it always a long ride to get to something. In the new Sharandar, you get to something in a pretty short distance.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    Well there are a few positive notes here, I guess I am partly to blame for commenting at the start about forum population.

@plasticbat I don't have VIP signpost, and I never felt any of the maps warranted a mount, but I can fly by on my mount and the best of mobs don't touch me. That is good for getting to a BHE or MHE fast, but also here completion speed is the biggest complaint. I am not saying we should all jump off our mounts and fight each mob on the way to an encounter, but if we didn't have these mounts, the campaign would be a longer longer. I tend to set my hub portal for PE but here I set it to the hub and after completing Army of Darkness, I can teleport out once per hour. The maps twist and turn, on a fast mount early on, I found myself at dead ends.

As for mob strength, one needs to use strategy over power with the cyclopes up on the ridge. There are regular patrols walking back a forth and if you time it badly you will get wasted. This is the area I would naturally avoid unless I am on a quest there. My friends told me they just killed the first cyclopes and map transferred to another zone. They repeated this action two more times.

My husband has yet to find time to play the campaign, he plays Splinter Cell a lot and likes to use stealth. I am wondering how he will endure, as his one and only character there is a cleric with no boon points. Needless to say, he sure doesn't play this game like you are expected.

Focus on the positives you encountered! :heart:
    wb-cenders.gif
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    hmmm... something nice? I like how they made Lord Neverember's Vizier Jafar uh I mean Makos turn good. That was cool. Hey I am trying!

I like the part where I had to find a very bad undead wizard a new a place to live. Then later the same wizard tried to kill me.

I like Strahd, his personality was very unique for a villain. Boasting at the gate that he would most likely kill me later.

I liked Lucan the Sewer Wizard of Illusion, he was a good sport, a coward who had both ego and self-doubt at the same time.

Last year I got the chicken mount, but I really like the Halloween items, both the broom mount and broom companion. The year before that they change all the mounts on April 1st into stick horses. I would have bought the stick horse but they offered it for a limited time only and I wasn't working at the time. All of this was very original thinking on their part.

My favorite campaign was Ravenloft but the follow up to Cloaked Ascendancy (Shar of Night) was great, I got the smoking cloak and it allows me to be part of the smokers jacket club.

I would like to do 7 impossible things before breakfast but you are asking too much. :trollface:

Just killing time...

As for mob strength, one needs to use strategy over power with the cyclopes up on the ridge. There are regular patrols walking back a forth and if you time it badly you will get wasted. This is the area I would naturally avoid unless I am on a quest there. My friends told me they just killed the first cyclopes and map transferred to another zone. They repeated this action two more times.

There are 2 cyclopes behind the BHE area. There is also a lore to read over there.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I got the cauldron mount (mythic - account) from my daily key yesterday which was really great as I needed the awareness boost for my Pally. I was very happy.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    @blargskull You dropped the "d" the quest is The Shard of Night. Maybe you were thinking of Shar the Mistress of the Night, goddess and twin of Selune? Yes, I like Lucan too, but the Far Realm has nothing on Detroit.
    @armadeonx I purchased the legendary cauldron from the AH at 800K, this is only my second legendary mount in 8 years playing. Maybe in 8 to 10 more years, I might actually get myself a mythic. Congrats on the mount!
    @jules#6770 I always felt like the Cryptic should manage both the wiki and the forums better. By that, I don't mean heavy handed censorship either. They seem budgeted on so many things, I guess they cannot afford better?
    @autumnwitch I am having a good time on the weekends, I am back to assisting new people with getting started.

I hope to see you all at the 2021 Barovian Bash! this October, always the day before the Liar's Masquerade. :heart:
    wb-cenders.gif
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    > @plasticbat said:
    > There are 2 cyclopes behind the BHE area. There is also a lore to read over there.

There is a third one outside the wall, same area as where the BHE spawns.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    I wonder if this area will be used in the future as a dungeon entry point? I could not help but noticed, the large dark opening, that looks like I want to light up a torch and explore it. Probably not, but here is hoping! :heart:
    wb-cenders.gif
    edited March 2021

I wonder if this area will be used in the future as a dungeon entry point? I could not help but noticed, the large dark opening, that looks like I want to light up a torch and explore it. Probably not, but here is hoping! :heart:

No sure how far you went through in this Part 1. The cyclope area beside BHE is the entrance to see granny and also an exit in the other side.

No sure how far you went through in this Part 1. The cyclope area beside BHE is the entrance to see granny and also an exit in the other side.
    I just stopped after I made my second boon point. I haven't done granny, but I have read players talking about her. I guess I will do her quest next weekend. I don't know when part 2 is dropping, it appears we have all summer to finish this up.
    Enjoy your week, tomorrow is Monday, make it a fun day! :heart:
    wb-cenders.gif
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

That reminds me of when we could access dungeons via tunnels/caves/doorways on open-world maps. I actually miss that, I never really understood why they removed it.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • franciscoperolafranciscoperola Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    Sandukutupu; an especially affable player and commentator, who I am in the habit of reading, asked for a comment on the positive aspects of Neverwinter, which I think are many. However, unlike most comments I did not like New Sharandar, for me it was a huge disappointment. I am a graphic designer and I give great importance to the design of the areas and, therefore, I loved Old Sharandar, without even mentioning the lack of dungeons, such as the Reservoir, which I considered especially well designed. There are many beautiful areas like Barovia, Undermountain or Chult, but in general the design of areas is excellent. Aesthetically Neverwinter is a successful game, despite its age. The developers have created a beautiful world full of incredible details. It seems that there is always something worth looking at and, moreover, it is a living world full of busy NPCs, or just lazy.
    Neverwinter's music is of very good quality as well. The ambient sounds of a vibrant city are great and the voices are excellent. Neverwinter is a beautifully crafted game that appeals to both eyes and ears. Of course, for many the most important thing is the game universe, a fantasy world based on the iconic RPG Dungeons & Dragons. In which game do we have to fight alongside us a companion like Minsc? A friend of mine when he first played the missions with Minsc, said to me surprised: it is really him, image, voice and behavior, it seems that I am playing Baldurs Gate. Although over the years Neverwinter has had ups and downs, like any other MMORPG, and the latest changes have aroused a lot of criticism, some also from me, I found that the difficulty of the game is now more to my liking. I like hard games, I love Baldurs Gate 2 for that very reason, and Neverwinter was getting boring. In short, I have been playing Neverwinter for over 6 years, and although I have already made 2 or 3 interruptions, I always end up coming back, and that says it all.
    edited March 2021
    armadeonx said:

That reminds me of when we could access dungeons via tunnels/caves/doorways on open-world maps. I actually miss that, I never really understood why they removed it.
    I was there. People needed to wait in front of the door to enter. When the map was busy, that did not take long. In those days (no VIP), the map was bigger and it took forever to ride there and .... wait. It took a long time to ride back to give up. Having a non-white mount was luxury back then too. Some actually walked and fought along to get there. All these were replaced by dungeon queue. It made the dungeon entrance obsolete.
  • cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    The most positive thing I can say about the game at this moment is the fact I am saving a TON of money letting my premium time expire and not showing any kind of financial support for the changes made to the game

Cirran
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    Today I was cleaning my sofa, I found a nickel. I am 5 cents richer, it is like finding 5 Zen there! :trollface:

I was told by Wendy she meant something more "recent" about the game, all the nice stuff I said above was too old. She said, maybe think about something I am looking forward to in the game's future.

I think I am looking forward to more to do in part 2 and part 3. I don't know what the future holds for this game, I hope it gets better. It is not my top pick of Cryptic games. I play a lot more Champions than I do Neverwinter. I don't own a LTS Champions, if I were to spend hundreds on a game, it would be the LTS on Champions. I would recommend the LTS here but we all know it ain't gonna happen. So here is my "wish list" for Neverwinter...

1. Life Time Subscribers, they charge $250 over on Champions for LTS. Wouldn't it be worth it to have permanent VIP access, toss in some wards every month, and a few other perks?
    2. I am looking forward to new items in a better designed AD store. The Wondrous Bazaar needs items I cannot get with Zen. It needs items that are not for resale in the AH.
    3. I would also like to see a real gold market. There is nothing to spend gold on if you are like me, I don't refine, I use gold to pull items off, and whatnot.
    4. I did like the recent add of the displacer beast companion. Although people are saying it is junk, I like it for appearance alone. I would like to see more unique companions, as I suggested once, the Liar's Masquerade illusionist companion would be a great one.
    5. Not everyone appreciated the humor in module 15 as I did. I think it was a bit over the top for most players, I would like more humor in the game, along with story content.
    6. Content is not redundant combat. I look forward to seeing (reading) more content. The hidden shrine to Kehl Skywatcher is a good touch. But why is it hidden in bushes and not up in the hub were everyone can see it?

There you go, some positive points and hope for the future Wendy. Now I am going back to being mean and nasty!

Just killing time...
    I recommended the displacer beast as a mount quite some time ago, I guess the companion works too.
    wb-cenders.gif