test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Paladin feedback after changes

Hello all,
First of all I know there has been a lot of negative feedback towards the new combat changes but I understand where you are going and what you are trying to do so I appreciate it. I also understand this is not going away so we need to work within the confines of what you have given us.

That being said I have been playing a paladin since they came out in mod 5? whenever that was on Xbox, I have been server first on many things, I have every enchant, multiple loadouts, 500Mill +++ spent on my toon, over 1 yr played game time, blah blah blah. Anyways pedigree out of the way lets get to the meat and potatoes.

Paladin tanks are "Generally" in a decent spot. I don't have to like it and I feel they are just a mediocre tank but I again I see where you go with it. My two things I would like to give feedback are on:

1) Switch the feat "banefull strikes" to "Templars strikes" and switch the Free bane to Free templars wrath. I understand this removes the ranged attack we have via bane but it gives us the ability to hold aoe aggro better as well as synergizes more with the class, as far as I can tell (obviously I don't have the analytics) Templars wrath is incredibly under utilized and it SHOULD be our bread and butter encounter power for aoe pulls and holding large amounts of critters but due to the fact we only have 3 encounters there's just no space to put it on our encounter bar.

2) Aura of wrath was "missed" when you basically upped all the magnitudes to compensate for the damage decrease in the first run of the combat changes. (generally 20% increase to all encounters/at wills?) I would recommend upping aura of wrath from a mag 10 to mag 15 (just because 15 looks better then 12) It still means our 1-2k hits will be low but at least puts it in line with the magnitude changes you made. I am guessing you missed it because its a class feature power and not an encounter/at will.

Paladin healers are awful, just plain awful. the entire premise of the new combat change is that we need to rely on armor procs (ie when you heal/damage for 15% of your hp you gain x% crit/power/crit severity etc etc) our healing as a whole is so low that we cannot proc these bonus's. On average I heal for about 60k and I have 600-650k, therefore the procing is inconsistent at best and at worst just doesn't even proc. Therefore we cannot hit the rating caps to even keep these proc'd, I understand you upped "dive shelter" in a recent patch but I just don't see how this is still going to help, why are paladin healers magnitudes so low when warlocks/Clerics are double if not triple the magnitude in most cases. Obviously the answer to this is the Shield mechanic, so instead of nerfing the healing, maybe another pass should be looked at the shield mechanic, one option is just to have a separate magnitude for the shield and a separate magnitude for the heal. Another option is to remove shielding all together and give a "new" benefit via paladin example could be "gives a random 5% to a rating for 5-10 seconds, can be applied multiple times)

Lastly our dailies.

Shield of faith:
This is our bread and butter Damage Resistance buff for raids on both roles. I understand that tanks have Divine palisade for the 10% in a cone behind them, this is great on paper but when the tank is on the other side of the boss they cannot move to be in the proper position WHILE TANKING and in time for it to matter to utilize this ability. Phalanx which is the fighter daily is FAR superior to damage reduction and is the main reason why 2 fighter tanks is far superior to have in raids. On top of this Shield of faith only seems to effect 5 people this is counterproductive as there are 10 people in the raid.
Simple fix, up the Damage reduction to 10% and effect the entire raid regardless of distance, it is not as good as phalanx but it is not a sustained ability and has no casting time so I feel that is a fair compromise.

Sanctuary
This is awful, My goodness I want this too work so bad, I consistently try it and beg and hope and every time I do it fails on me. This is just plain awful.
1) Its a Sustained 10% damage reduction, this is not inline with ANY sustained abilities/encounters/dailys. It should be simply the same as Phalanx at 20%, the Healing on this is "Ok" but it doesnt proc enough to keep healing through the burst damage from attacks. example Whitenoise, I CANNOT sustain this ability and heal my raid team (even with help from another healer) before everybody dies. If it is a sustained ability then the heal magnitude needs to be upped to compensate as I cannot do anything but stand there and take all damage directed in that area. This would put it also in line with having the healer choose between Shield of faith or Sanctuary depending on situations. Shield of faith for instant DR and moving required. Sanctuary for stationary DR/Healing.

I understand that these suggestions are Buffs to paladin healers but right now it is an awful role to play and it simply cannot compete with a warlock or cleric of the same player caliber.

Thankyou for your time reading this wall of text.
-SilverHawk

Comments

• Options
    amascus#1899 amascus Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    I do not disagree with you but there is low hanging fruit that is simply ignored. Paladin is literally the only class without a DPS spec which hampers basic questing and any solo activity. Simply uping "Blessed Wander" damage percentage which is only useful when you do not have a group would go a long way for levelers and questers. It does nothing when grouped so no balance problems. Paladins are often overlooked since we tend to be more stoic and our wheels are better oiled then most of the other classes. Short of the rework you note above a little nod that we still exist would be nice though.

Blessed Wanderer
    Class Feature
    Increases damage dealt by 5% whenever there are no party members nearby.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Baneful Strikes is the only thing that makes solo content bearable on Justicar.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother