It seems that tanks got hit hard with the combat changes. A very active thread in the General Discussion (PC) Section of the forum seems to suggest, that many "old" tank players are very upset with the new combat system, a couple might have left the game.
A major part of the criticism about the new combat system for tanks is, that the tank damage reduction formula has been changed from
old damage multiplier: (1 - defense% / 100%)
new damage multiplier: 1/(1 + defense% / 100%)
With the "old" formula a tank with 90% defense would get a damage multiplier of
x =1 - 90%/100% = 1-0.9 = 0.1
In other words, the tank only takes 10% of the unmitigated damage, the rest (90%) is mitigated by the high defense rating
With the new formula this has changed dramatically.
Now a tank with 90% defense gets a damage multiplier of
x = 1/1 + 90%/100%) = 1/1.9 ~ 0.53
In other words, the tank takes 53% of the unmitigated damage, only 47% is mitigated.
I understand why the formula was changed:
Taking only 10% of the "normal" damage at the defense cap of 90% is a bit over the top,
in particular if a players defense percentage can be increased temporarily beyond 90% by special effects or powers
However, now taking more than half of the damage (53%) at max defense makes tanks far less survivable than ever before.
In fact, it does not provide any incentive to maximize defense, because 70% defense still results in
In other words, the benefit from going to 70% defense (taking 59% of the normal damage) to 90% defense (taking 53% of the normal damage) is marginal.
As I said, I understand why the change was made, because the "old" formula had the non-desirable effect or "increasing return".
With the old formula, the closer you got to the 90% cap, the more damage reduction you would actually get for every % point added.
The new formula ensures, that there is a "decreasing return", when you approach the cap. This is how it should be.
But on the other hand
- if a maxed out tank still takes 53% of the damage,
- and the dps typically take 65-70% of the damage
the tank takes almost as much damage as the dps.
In fact, currently a maxed out tank at 90% defense still takes 75% of the damage, that a typical dps would take (with 45-50% defense).
Tanks are damage-wise far too close to the dps, in order to tank effectively in difficult content.
IMO a maxed out tank should at least be able to withstand three times the damage that an average dps can.
My suggestion therefore is the following MODIFICATION of the damage formula (for tanks only):
If you change it
- from x = 1/(1 + defense%/100%)
- to x_mod = 1/(1 + 3*defense/100%)
you would still have diminishing returns close to the cap, but a maxed out tank with 90% defense would have a damage multiplier of
x = 1/(1 + 3*0.9) = 1/3.8 ~ 0.26
If you compare this to the damage multiplier of a "typical" dps at 50% defense with x = 1/(1 + 0.5) ~ 0.66
a maxed out tank could withstand somewhat less than three times the damage an average dps would do.
This is IMO the right proportion, and it will make it easier to balance difficult group content, that requires a real damage soaking tank.