test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interesting Turn of Events

samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
I was looking at Black Desert Online (BDO) today and they have until February 24th to move their accounts or lose access to the game.

Why? Apparently the game developers are buying out the publisher. They made so much money on that game, they are stinking rich now. I don't understand how the publisher didn't get rich. However the developer Pearl Abyss has enough money to throw at the publisher Kakao Games to buy them out of the BDO.

This could be awesome news, to give you an idea, this would be like Cryptic Studios buying out PWE and making all their own money without having to adhere to anyone but the players. However Pearl Abyss could end up making new rules, get greedy, and spend all the cash on booze and hookers. You never know for sure. IF I do buy an account, I am waiting until March. I don't want to risk losing a new account. lol

If you played BDO in the past, you might want to go there and migrate your account before you lose it.
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain

Comments

• autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    Black Desert Online (BDO) is a paid for game with in game spending like NW. I was looking at them as a replacement for NW the other day and was wondering what if NW charged a small nominal fee for the game and made in game spending less intrusive. Might be a good way for them to go.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Except for "Free to Play".
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Except for "Free to Play".

Well obviously that would no longer be the case. If it would mean they could offer more content, less nerfing and less disruption I'd gladly pay for the game.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    It seems that they are not buying the publisher. They are taking over the publishing duties, it means they are buying out the contract, and paying out the exit/penalty sum.

BDO also had several promotions where it was free for a weekend and if the player reached a certain level the game remain accessible to them (in essence removing the buy price)
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    BDO is akin to Guild Wars as in you buy a pack $10 for the basic, $50 for some extras, and $100 for the full bells and whistles. And by whistles, you need to whistle for your mounts. They have a sandbox PvE world with housing, trade, crafting, and a very Maxis the Sims approach. The underlining plot is new people are arriving with no memory of where they came from, the mystery is very deep and leads you to the Black Desert. Another draw for many is the custom character creation - no two characters look alike.

The game is currently either grind to repair broken armors and weapons or you will pay about $250 and up to play the full game without much effort. It is a great game "buy in game", as long as you understand what you are buying into, and I could see anyone being able to enjoy it on XB1 or a decent PC and good graphics. But choose wisely, as they are not cross-play accounts. For $20 you could buy one console and one for the PC and still have a lot of fun.

PC requirements are; 4 to 8 GB of RAM (I have 16GB), Intel Core i3 to i5 (I have an i7), and legit graphics card that doesn't run on oatmeal. My graphics card runs on the souls of the unbaptized children in Limbo. :trollface:

Just killing time...
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @blargskull

I guess I have you to blame for this "Valentines" gift from my husband?

It sure is a nice game and he put $10 on it in pearls.

Here is my Warlock oops... Sorceress. She is living in this house and Venomcraft Shanarvos is only level 15.

She is such a bed hog!

I made her a Wizard for her kid brother Khanoxus

The only drawback in the game so far is sex=class so I cannot make a male sorcerer. There are tons of classes but all of them gender locked.

Now STOP distracting me with other games! I have enough to do without more.

But thanks for suggesting it. I will get to playing it more later.

Have fun! :heart:
    wb-cenders.gif
  • samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Well for those of you been asking about the "charge$ within game" on this one. You could spend hundreds on this game and it really don't matter if you spend anything at all.

@sandukutupu no offense, your husband is REAL CHEAP $10?? He could afford $50 on this and you could really buy something other than the sexy undies. Female underwear for one set runs you $7.50 an entire fashion costume is about $35.

So back to buying and selling. Pearl = 1 cent just like Zen here. You still have to buy A coins (original cash currency), then grab a pearl box, 1000, 2000, etc. VIP would be the 30 day value pack seen here in this screen.

Regular price is 1,500p or $15 cash. I have a 50% off coupon and can get it for $7.50. All the buffs remain active for 30 days.

Here is the same item requested in their trade house (aka Central Market) for silver (like AD very abundant in the game) there are over 10,000 requests for this item at 133 million silver. None have been posted for 3 months. This is a backlog like the Zax where you can buy it for cash or wait forever for someone to trade you VIP for silver.

Basing the economy on this item alone, off sale for 1,500 pearls means 1 pearl = 88,667 silver. The item on sale has the pearl value double 177,333 for each pearl.

What can you buy with pearls? A lot of costumes, crafting materials, etc. Everything is either in the pearl market or the trade house. The game dumps silver so the prices are very high on many items. If you like playing a game the mechanics are decent. There are other vendors I have not covered here, but this is the straight talk without the glitz and glamor.

Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
    edited March 2021
    @sandukutupu "I guess I have you to blame for this "Valentines" gift from my husband?"

Guilty as charged. See you in the game. :lol:

@autumnwitch The game accounts for PC are still free to nab one and will save you ten bucks! Comes with 6 character slots and plenty of inventory. I don't play this on my console but the cost remains at $15 for my PS4. Once you have an account set up, you don't have to spend money at all, but all those costumes... *wipes drool from chin*.

Interesting fact, you will not buy a horse for pearls, most low tier horses don't run much faster than you. You can buy a horse or rent a donkey, but if you are a real adventurer... you can catch one in the wild. Get a male and female horse and breed them, tons of options. The Pearl Mount section is just saddles and whatnot to put on your horse. Well you can buy a boat in the there, not like it is going over land. :trollface:

Just killing time...
  • raziel2004#7353 raziel2004 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Dont compare this game to BDO. BDO prices for zen equivalent base on region while NW not. I spend money playing BDO coz its cheap but ZEN quite expensive for me.

Dont compare this game to BDO. BDO prices for zen equivalent base on region while NW not. I spend money playing BDO coz its cheap but ZEN quite expensive for me.

I don't see how he is comparing it, it is being used as an analogy to equate similar economic examples. I play BDO about as often as any other game, at present I am play Lego Marvel 2 on my PS4 and chatting on discord on my PC. Lego Marvel 2 is exactly like Neverwinter Online, I have trouble telling them apart. :trollface:

Just killing time...