test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

state of the combat build

thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
edited February 2021 in PvE Discussion
the following all screen grabs from the same toon different builds. yes the first build will probably not work for absolute end game stuff. it will be too low il to enter sharandar (but how much work would it be to get it to 40?) but for all other content, I posit that the first build is the superior one. it's nearly all good damage gear from hunts and the stats are closer to perfect than the second higher Il build using all the standard end game gear and full rank enchants and whatnot. I am missing ribcage and other t3 hunt gear.

the point is, that's a lot of work to be like the third picture.. for no real return.. and if I wanted the third picture to look like the low effort first two pictures it would cost me a great deal more time effort and moolah.

oh boy, I can do a few more end game trials that are absolutely no better than older trials in terms of reward? The weapons are no longer chase items. There are no decent chase items. Even baby zariel (which I haven't tried with my new low il load out but I should) has rewards that are less compelling than a 3 minute run of Tiamat. This is basically going back to where we were at mod 16 but worse. Then it was eschew higher il gear for hunt gear but still get the highest Il you can of the hunt gear. Now you want to do everything you can to pare down your il. you want the oldest hunt gear you can hunt down in your inventory or in game.

If you go back even further you could compare this to mod 6. You don't have to balance anything much. I remember being new in mod 6, and just taking what I got and doing ok. I didn't top the charts, but I did ok without balancing anything. It wasn't probably til mod 7 or 8 that they changed something so it really mattered how much arpen you had and power. This is really kind of like that and it's not good. It isn't doing anything to make anyone want to stick around. Even though this should be favorable for noobs there is just no in game guidance whatsoever about stats what they do and important mechanics like CA. Even knowing what you're doing it seems like enemy ca can work thru walls. you still will get one shot regularly from mobs that shouldn't be able to do that. So this isn't the noob friendly experience that 6 was. (At least to me, I know it was widely hated but as a complete and total noob I was ok with it)

There is just nothing good to say here. Combat is boring. That's the crux of it. It's become dull. Fights take forever for no purpose or real reward. there is no chase item of note. there is nothing to build for. you want to anti build. we have more changes hanging over our heads that from what we've experienced so far, leave very little room for hope. Instead it's this dread anxiety..

the cdp a year or two ago promised us there would be listening to the base about what we wanted and didn't want. but it is actually 90 times worse than it was with that mod 16 bomb. focusing on cult of personality isn't going to save this game or convince people they're having fun.

listening to the player base about core motivations to play and spend money would really go along way towards rebuilding trust. (and that doesn't mean the streaming talking heads. they don't speak for most of us) what we've been given is not what we've been asking for. I know I don't speak and cannot speak for everyone.. but I don't think I stand alone. (especially because i know I'm just rehashing what many have been talking about for many months, but I figure it's good to put your own spin on the same thing just to keep the topic open. Kudos to those who came before me)

2-18-2021-10-54-09-AM-iyamocm0
2-18-2021-10-43-01-AM-sboxfizz
2-19-2021-2-14-15-AM-nngkw4ne
Post edited by thefiresidecat on

Comments

• jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Theoretically wearing old meta is something that I did find
    a) funny
    b) really really funny
    c) enjoyable
    but only for the first few minutes of swapping back to it.
    What is really not funny is, that it is not just swapping back to Kiuno or swapping back to Fearbringers or - despite me really loving Soshenstar/Omu and thinking that this (with M14) was the height of the game for me - Tyrant weapons, is, that I do not do it because of the items, but just because they are the best items for a low IL.

I love hunting in Omu. I really do. Right now, this is the only thing I can do while I log in every other day to check up on people. But to see that people are actively hunting for a second loadout to run in old content that is, other than the random queue bonus, completely unrewarding and appearently beyond frustrating is so irritating.
    I could not imagine playing REDQ and hoping beyond hope that it doesn't take too long, while I get nothing - and needing a low IL loadout for it.
    There is so much wrong with this idea that I find it harder than ever to start somewhere. I can't even tell people to try out this or try out that anymore, because... why do you hurt yourself.

You can only reach those people if it shows up on their sheets. Seriously. @thefiresidecat amongst many many other people cared and reached out in several feedback threads (M16 feedback threads are still around. Find them if you weren't here then and believe ppl are just salty) and in CDPs to be belittled and obviously not taken seriously.

If you want them to take you seriously, and if you take yourself seriously (I would even argue this is about self-care) then find yourself something that is really enjoyable.
    Everything in this game right now is either (or several of those) unrewarding, stuns you, kills you, annoys you, slows you down or RNG on RNG and those occassional chase rewards are just gonna make you try again. This is not only NW, but very very obvious here: They are not moving on from old die hard business habits, they are making examples on how not to behave as a company.
    There is no interaction now. Not even from our own community manager. There is nothing going on but dropping stuff on players, and leaving to crunch their own spreadsheet numbers and zen sales.
    There is no community interaction, there is literally nothing going on.
    There is misleading information on their own sales. Poor customer support.
    They frequently get away with treating their customers like that, its always the same program... after they drop a rework or a mod like that: You hear nothing from us until you behave like we want you to again.
    Thats not a way to sell a product in these days. This is stagnation, and this stems from sitting on their high horses and looking down on players.
    - bye bye -
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    @jules#6770 I think it went like this. Yo Dawg, we heard you when you said as a chorus, that you don't want scaling at all. that you want scaling!! so here is some scaling to go with your scaling on your scaling with a hearty topping of more scaling.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    Speaking of CA I've noticed that critters are getting it even when they are far away where they can't hit me at all.

Let's say I am "O" and the critters are "X". In the scenario below I under stand why they get CA

X 0 X

But I have noticed they are getting it in the below as well

O X.......................................................X

They just have to be inline with each other and not near you at all.

PITA

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Speaking of CA I've noticed that critters are getting it even when they are far away where they can't hit me at all.

Let's say I am "O" and the critters are "X". In the scenario below I under stand why they get CA

X 0 X

But I have noticed they are getting it in the below as well

O X.......................................................X

They just have to be inline with each other and not near you at all.

PITA

CA by positioning used to only work in very close range. Sometime in Mod 13/14 (?), CA by positioning was extended to 80' in response to Archer Rangers qqing about they don't get CA.

From cursory tries, enemy CA works regardless of line of sight ... as in, enemies on the opposite side of walls magically grant enemies you're fighting CA.

• armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Maybe they should make it 80' and 'in combat'?
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    not sure why they wouldn't have different parameters for the npc vs player toons.