test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alts after Combat Rework

burnahbros#7516 burnahbros Member Posts: 72 Arc User
edited February 2021 in PvE Discussion
I was worried about the state of my alts going into the combat rework after reading horror tales across the internet. I have many alts of all classes at various levels of progress. Some of my weakest alts do not even have good gear or good guild boons because they are in a low level guild, unlike my main character.
I have tested out a wide range of my very weak alts across all classes and through out the adventure zones they previously could do quests in. To my great surprise I can do everything I did before without making any upgrades at all. On some characters I made some slight changes by shifting around a mount power or companion bonus but did not upgrade anything yet on my alts. Everything was fine and very doable. I then decided to try some even weaker alts without making even one single adjustment and of course without upgrading anything cause I really can't afford to waste resources on any character other than my main. Well guess what? All of my alts are fine and there is no need to upgrade anything at all. Making adjustments is a good idea but even without moving any stats around I could still complete quests.
It's nice to know that I don't need to upgrade unless I want to. And if I want to then I can but if I decide I want to save my resources and just optimize my main then all my alts will still be viable to do what ever I want to do with them without having to break my bank or wallet. Thank you very much Cryptic for keeping alts viable!!!

edit:grammar

Comments

• erevel09erevel09 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    I don't know what content you run on your alts, but it's good that you can still do it. For me it is a little diffrent.

Before combat changes I had 8 toons I played on. Four of them were my mains, namely Wizard, Cleric, Paladin and Warlock and the other four alts that I made for Dread Ring only, because I have no time or patience lately. Those were Ranger, Rogue, Barbarian and Fighter. I used to run them during x2 Refining Stones event for maximum gain.

Now, after combat changes that numbers went down. I have 2 mains, Wizard and Warlock, 2-not-sure-how-to-call-them, and 4 more invoking alts that don't run Dread Ring anymore. Why? Let me put it this way, for each class:

Wizard: can handle anything in the game I believe (didn't run tomm or zariel after changes, had no problems with tomm before, zariel is zariel). It's ok, even though a little dull and boring. (51k IL)

Warlock: not as high IL as wizard and damage is still something I work on, but with having constant CA that class performs really well atm for me. (35k IL)

Cleric: well, here it goes. That class has no way to gain CA by itself, so I settled with more power and better items to help run stuff. Guess what? Unless I have luck with crits and no deflect from mobs, it takes longer to get stuff done than before. It works but feels tidious. That's why I don't run anything there atm. (34k IL)

Paladin: this one is not something I should talk about, but I'll do it anyway. It was never BiS, never really good. Nice class to play around and smash stuff with Smite. I had no problems before combat changes, now... That class has no CA by itself, has no power in Forte (thus I would have to upgrade a LOT more to get 90% cap in power alone) and divinity that runs out pretty quickly, because it can't kill stuff quick enough. Same problem as with cleric. Feels tidious for running solo. (33.5k IL)

Now, let me state that those mains worked well enough to do anything I wanted them to do. Could run dungeon, do campaign, do hunts or else. Never really a problem, Paladin sometimes took a little longer, but it was doable. Running stuff solo was nice and clean and pretty fast for most cases.

Ranger: I have no way of knowing that class completely, but had next-to no problem running Dread Ring before changes. Took a bit longer, but that's to be expected. It's an alt. Now, after those changes that toon of mine can do Dread Ring dungeons, yes. But from 2-3 minute per run it goes up to 7-9 minutes. Why? I have to do one group at the time and wait for hp and cooldowns to come back before I hit any other group. If I attack more than one group = dead. Tidious.

Rogue: in a bit better state than Ranger, have CA from stealth. Still, it takes way longer to kill stuff than before so situation is pretty much the same as it was with Ranger.

Barbarian: no CA by itself, rage mechanic helps a bit here, but the situations is the same; it takes too long to kill anything so it became tidious.

Fighter: let me put it this way; even before changes that class was never that great for me. I thought that maybe I do something wrong, or maybe it's the class mechanics that are somewhat broken. After the changes... no comment. Out of every toon I have this one takes the longest to do a simple run.

And all of that with somewhat decent pets (close to 30% bolster) and mount powers (60% bolster).

So in conclusion, yes it is doable. It just takes way longer to do. And jump from 2-3 minutes to have double (or even triple) that time... well, not enough reason for me to upgrade them just to get back to where they were.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    point of note; any class can obtain combat advantage by using a non-augment companion and standing on the opposite side of an enemy to your companion.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • erevel09erevel09 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    I appreciate you pointed that out. Might be useful for others, I already know that. Getting CA with companion is useful, true, however it not always works correctly. I mean, companions tend to run amok and not really care about you trying to get CA. But that's another issue I think.
    edited February 2021
    Very true - as Cryptic have managed to make all enemy mobs CA aware, you'd think they'd expand that make companions aware too.

• admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    I finished the weekly Dungeons including the HC's in my GF Tank without him being equipped with no enchant in the defensive slot, no 3 insignia bonuses and no collares (those were better not to have them) and it was the same as playing before the combat change. This is good since I can do the random in the tank without having spent 1 coin of AD on it and without having to wait 40 min as in my main char.
    Have you noticed that tank is the class most waited for now in RQ? Used to tip more toward Healer.

I'm wondering if many people have stopped playing their tanks.

• admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

Have you noticed that tank is the class most waited for now in RQ? Used to tip more toward Healer.

Maybe because Tank's don't get damage bonuses it's too hard to farm something. I tried to make the Tomb of Dread Ring in my tank which has some offensive companions and I tell you for sure that it was horrible. Of the 10 keys I bought, I only used four. But GF and GWF just like SW and DC have loadout of DPS, already the OP's, those must be feeling in hell. Maybe this specific class should have a third DPS path but focusing on PVP and solo farm or believe they will soon disappear.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

point of note; any class can obtain combat advantage by using a non-augment companion and standing on the opposite side of an enemy to your companion.

some non-augments are better for this than others. some comps want to be right next to you no matter what you do. (looking at you xuna) other comps position for ca nicely. (air archon) lots of examples on both sides of positioning but it's good to keep that in mind when playing with various comps if you have a hard time positioning you probably need a different companion. the black scorpion has an attack that gives you ca no matter where you are but he's kind of pooh other than that.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    erevel09 said:

I appreciate you pointed that out. Might be useful for others, I already know that. Getting CA with companion is useful, true, however it not always works correctly. I mean, companions tend to run amok and not really care about you trying to get CA. But that's another issue I think.

try air archon.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Enemy mobs are very "insistent" trying to get CA, in fact, being a tank this days is more fun, trying to not get your HAMSTER kicked.

They should apply the enemy AI to get combat advantage to our active companions.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor

armadeonx said:

Maybe because Tank's don't get damage bonuses it's too hard to farm something. I tried to make the Tomb of Dread Ring in my tank which has some offensive companions and I tell you for sure that it was horrible. Of the 10 keys I bought, I only used four. But GF and GWF just like SW and DC have loadout of DPS, already the OP's, those must be feeling in hell. Maybe this specific class should have a third DPS path but focusing on PVP and solo farm or believe they will soon disappear.
    I agree. I've posted a few times in different threads saying that the Pally solo class feature Blessed Wanderer needs to be boosted to at least 10% - preferably 20% for OPs to do solo content.

I do think there's a big drop in Pallys though - wouldn't surprise me if a lot of players are switching classes or dropping the game.

• melotai#0794 melotai Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    So far, my paladin has no real problem soloing older content as a tank and I was not even using Blessed Wanderer until I just read your post.

And, with mod 20 I did make a lot of other big changes that improved her damage output by a lot, increased her HP by about 40K and increased the damage output of her active companion by 52% (Chultan Tiger, purchased via zen with the 100% off coupon they gave us).

When I was making changes I was not even thinking about solo content as I was more concerned with getting her to be a functional tank in group content but the changes I did make had an overall positive effect on both aspects of it.

My only problem now is wanting to use her in group content which I do not want to do at this time.
  • silente07#2597 silente07 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Pally is put away and moved to bank guild.
    My GF was my main , but, is going to be put away soon as well. Waiting for RC to get fixed to finish the progression and then done.
    The GF is one of the lowest dps in the game and don’t have the resources or time to get the gear to make it better.
    Doing anything solo takes forever and I just don’t have the time. Also, it’s not fun because now every battle is a slog, just getting to one place or the next is a game of don’t see me then oops you did and now I’m dead or that just suck 15 mins to just get from point A to B.
    Yep my pally is now mothballed, I'll just use it for the weekly AD quests. My DC and HR are looking better now and I had fun running my rogue through legacy campaigns to finish up on some boons yesterday (double legacy currency).

Only my DC is running HC content atm.

• milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

Yes but the comps don't always stand on the opposite side that you are on. In fact I have noticed that my quickling, and mercenary comps don't engage in the battle until the enemies are right up on us. Makes it tough to impossible to get CA...
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

Yep my pally is now mothballed, I'll just use it for the weekly AD quests. My DC and HR are looking better now and I had fun running my rogue through legacy campaigns to finish up on some boons yesterday (double legacy currency).

Only my DC is running HC content atm.

I've all but stripped my pally clean of high rank enchants and such. My rogue(next highest IL toon) is kicking HAMSTER taking names. 42k IL with 4 collars, and in the new mod he does good. In fact he performs as I would have expected my 51k IL healadin to perform in the old content. Now the pally is a shell of his former self.

My cleric is next most fun to play, except when I have to wait on divinity, but he still kills things way faster than my similarly geared warlock dps. My wizard, well, he got thru the intro, and that's probably all he'll do...

I haven't done any random qs hardly at all since the combat rework. It's too slow, and tedious for the same rewards, and I find that unacceptable.

I'm still trying to decide which of my alts is gonna get the most attention for upgrades, since there are still broken comps, and I'm quite hesitant after pouring so much time and effort into my pally only to see him sit now as a bank cuz he's just not fun anymore...

• burnahbros#7516 burnahbros Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Almost 2 months since changes and I'm loving them. The combat rework is the best thing to happen in the game in a long time. And that's saying something because they have done many great thing in the game.