test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Critical Severity Forte issue for dps

synyster3006synyster3006 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
This was mentioned already on Preview Feedback threads, but now that more people got their hands on this new Combat System, this is becoming a real issue while balancing your stats.

Critical Severity is really easy to cap at 90%, and that is fine since his efficiency is bound to critical chance, and there are a lot of sources to rise your “other contribution” percentage:
- Ribcage - 12.5% (at full stacks)
- Wild Storm Elixir - 10%
- Flask of Potency +1 - 7.5%

All those listed are available to any dps classes and and let all of us cap to 90% without even cap rating (and without any real effort)

The real problem comes when we start talking about Forte distribution on DPS classes.
Having Critical Severity has secondary stat means that we waste at least 12.5% (with a common 50% forte) in one of the other offensive stats.
So we have some classes that well built manage to cap 4/5 offensive stats in combat at 90%, and others that barely cap 3.

I’d appreciate if you could at least think about it. That thing is making stat balancing really hard.

Thanks,
Aster

Comments

• synyster3006synyster3006 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    > @jman3l#5579 said:
    > @noworries#8859 I suggest the following for superior flask potions:
    >
    > Currently we have Superior Flask of Potency (+1) granting the following stats:
    > power 400 (440)
    > critical strike 400 (440)
    > accuracy 400 (440)
    > critical severity 7.5%
    >
    > How about offer three new potions modeled exactly like the above^ except giving the following (using purple companion enhancement slot names for suggestions)
    >
    > Superior Flask of Vision (+1):
    > power 400 (440)
    > accuracy 7.5%
    > critical severity 400 (440)
    >
    > Superior Flask of Might (+1)
    > power 7.5%
    > accuracy 400 (440)
    >
    > Superior Flask of Precision (+1)
    > power 400 (440)
    > critical strike 7.5%
    > accuracy 400 (440)
    >
    > This would offer a lot of potion diversity and be more incentive to get into the crafting necessary to make them. It would also help mitigate the critical severity forte issue.
    > Thanks very much,
    > Neko

Yh, that’s a really good idea and may solve the issue of balancing stats on who has this kind of forte stat distribution.
    Also will allow more build diversity and choice, based on what someone has or not in his companion pool.
  • astolfo#6568 astolfo Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I agree!
    Also barbarians have class ability that increase our crit sev by 10% while using battlerage. It's absolute garbage right now.

@noworries#8859 I suggest the following for superior flask potions:

Currently we have Superior Flask of Potency (+1) granting the following stats:
    power 400 (440)
    critical strike 400 (440)
    accuracy 400 (440)
    critical severity 7.5%

How about offer three new potions modeled exactly like the above^ except giving the following (using purple companion enhancement slot names for suggestions)

Superior Flask of Vision (+1):
    power 400 (440)
    accuracy 7.5%
    critical severity 400 (440)

Superior Flask of Might (+1)
    power 7.5%
    accuracy 400 (440)

Superior Flask of Precision (+1)
    power 400 (440)
    critical strike 7.5%
    accuracy 400 (440)

This would offer a lot of potion diversity and be more incentive to get into the crafting necessary to make them. It would also help mitigate the critical severity forte issue.
    Thanks very much,
    Neko

@noworries#8859 could you please take into account this suggestion? we really need more variety of those potions.
    Atm there are classes that can reach (in combat) 90% on 4/5 of their offensive stats, and others that can barely cap 3 only.

Thanks, Aster
  • coolgor28#5062 coolgor28 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    Yes for now they need to fix forte so every class can chose theirs or have crit sev uncapped for damage and heal because is depended on crit chance.
    Guild

The imaginary Friends

Main Kingslayer.jr(barb)
  • jman3l#5579 jman3l Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    > @coolgor28#5062 said:
    > Yes for now they need to fix forte so every class can chose theirs or have crit sev uncapped for damage and heal because is depended on crit chance.

A better / easier fix would be to just change arbiter and blademaster to crit instead of crit sev
  • datarider#1036 datarider Member Posts: 221 Arc User

> @coolgor28#5062 said:

> Yes for now they need to fix forte so every class can chose theirs or have crit sev uncapped for damage and heal because is depended on crit chance.

A better / easier fix would be to just change arbiter and blademaster to crit instead of crit sev

yea... theres not enough items in the game to use for crit strike % :D I cap crit sev 90% easy... but nothing gives crit strike % (except some comp powers, that I need to use for power)
  • drago#9606 drago Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Diversity for potions would make a lot of sense. I think it's a general truth for most "bonuses" (gear, potions, companions etc). There needs to be variety so you can customise your build to suit.

The problem isn't that some DPS classes have crit sev as their forte bonus, it's that other bonuses are currently unbalanced and need to be adjusted through increased diversification.

There's also a huge amount of potential in using crafting to develop your bonuses. Imagine gear had NO bonuses by default (just higher IL, for higher base damage), but you could create your own to suit your needs. So many possibilities...
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    I don't see any problems here. Why aren't you complaining that Forte gives you Power which is even easier to cap? Some characters have Accuracy, which is easily the worst stat to invest in after hitting 50%. It's all about distribution. It's ridiculous to complain that you have too much of something you want to cap when you have full control over it's amount. I can sympathize more with Accuracy Forte characters, since Accuracy is the very worst place for DPS to invest their stat points. Either way, classes will all get balanced against their strengths and weaknesses as time moves forward. Variety is good. No one forces investment into Forte.

Raising Accuracy from 50% to 90% increases your damage by 20%

I don't see any problems here. Why aren't you complaining that Forte gives you Power which is even easier to cap? Some characters have Accuracy, which is easily the worst stat to invest in after hitting 50%. It's all about distribution. It's ridiculous to complain that you have too much of something you want to cap when you have full control over it's amount. I can sympathize more with Accuracy Forte characters, since Accuracy is the very worst place for DPS to invest their stat points. Either way, classes will all get balanced against their strengths and weaknesses as time moves forward. Variety is good. No one forces investment into Forte.

Raising Accuracy from 50% to 90% increases your damage by 20%

As you said "Variety is good", the point is that there's no variety in potions, and that's a big issue in balance! leterally everyone cap Critical Severity to 90%, without even cap the rating. And that's because of potions that gives up to 17.5%.

we're just asking to remove the Critical Severity on forte option for DPS paragons or even better add other potions that can grant 7.5% on other stats such as Critical Chance, Accuracy or Combat Advantage.
    Well at least accuracy gives something, imagine to have 20% more crit sev and gives 0 damage bc you are already capped in that and have tied tab power on crit sev also. This is bad for arbiters also as long as all other class that have different forte then can cap crit sev easy.
    Guild

The imaginary Friends

Main Kingslayer.jr(barb)
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    So... the forte of this thread is that a few players are too lazy to down-adjust their capped critical severity, and therefore, they want thousands of other players to re-adjust theirs instead?

Instead of pushing for consumable nerfs and lobsided changes to character building, I would focus a push for adding new consumables that boost accuracy, Combat Advantage, and Critical Hit chance.
    i quote myself ...

we're just asking to remove the Critical Severity on forte option for DPS paragons or even better add other potions that can grant 7.5% on other stats such as Critical Chance, Accuracy or Combat Advantage.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

i quote myself ...

Different consumables will be added in the future, the devs know that we do want more options and have expressed excitement about providing them in future content.

As for Crit sev specifically, just move your other sources of crit sev to something else.
    The fact is: I can’t... what do you think? That I’m running with some companion that give me that?
    Really people don't even know how forte works or classes work, what do you mean move stat elsewhere , we moved all stats and we still have wasted 15% crit sev that is a lot of damage if it was other stat. And wait for some miracle from devs to put other potion.
    Guild

The imaginary Friends

Main Kingslayer.jr(barb)

Really people don't even know how forte works or classes work, what do you mean move stat elsewhere , we moved all stats and we still have wasted 15% crit sev that is a lot of damage if it was other stat. And wait for some miracle from devs to put other potion.

Having those potions (that noone confirmed that's a real thing that will come) in like 6 months or 1 year? what should we do in the meantime? playing another class or take a break i guess...
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

I don't think you realize how little forte actually adds to the secondary stats, like crit sev. Only 25% of your forte percent will go to crit severity. I main an Arbiter, which has crit severity as a forte bonus, and I am not over the 90% cap, even while using the Wild Storm Elixir. Even if you had 90% Forte, the most that will be added to your crit severity is 22.5% and if you are 15% wasted like you claim to be...then you have 47.5% that you should be able to move else where, be it companion bonuses, dexterity modifier, equipment bonuses, etc.
    Well because you are not using t3 armor and don't have 10% crit sev on tab power, and barbarians are 90% of time in rage. So first gear up max everything and can talk. We are talking about maxed chars that cant swap anything anymore i play other classes also on my cw is so easy to cap crit sev and have combat advantage in forte.
    Guild

The imaginary Friends

Main Kingslayer.jr(barb)
    No comment , you have proven how to build a max endgame toon =)
    Guild

The imaginary Friends

Main Kingslayer.jr(barb)
  • jman3l#5579 jman3l Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

Well because you are not using t3 armor and don't have 10% crit sev on tab power, and barbarians are 90% of time in rage. So first gear up max everything and can talk. We are talking about maxed chars that cant swap anything anymore i play other classes also on my cw is so easy to cap crit sev and have combat advantage in forte.

Why would we use the t3 armor? It does nothing for us, you are better off using something else entirely. Even the Fured Kiuno would give you more benefit than the Ribcage armor will. Forte isn't the reason why you are over capping anything.
    100% yes it is xD. Putting any dps paragons on critical severity was absolutely terrible game design, given the amount of consumables that grant critical severity. That plus several feats give critical severity, which is part of the pre combat rework design. Those feats / features are all totally useless now, and often their counter feats were worthless anyway, so the critical severity feat was the only one using. Examples:

Warden Ranger's Skirmishers Gambit, now totally useless - opposite feat to the wind (was always totally useless)
    Barbarian crit sev feature / feat - both totally useless given the current meta gear.
    Rogue lashing blade on stealth - 50% extra crit sev.. absolutely useless, and its the 3rd best encounter to use for single target due to magnitude

This is horrendous game design^. If you rework the entire combat system, you have to finish the job and make sure you fix all the feats / features to match it.