test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Dumbing down of trials and dungeons

With the new combat update Ive noticed how much theyve modified the Hunts, Trials and Dungeons in the game, For example the avernus Tier 2 hunt the frost giant is now basically a tanky low damage nightspine with a stun. I really dont understand as to why these changes were made because In my opinion this really takes away the whole skill of knowing the mechanics and how to deal with them. fighting a high damage but low health boss is more challenging and more fun than fighting a low damage but massive health boss.

Comments

• Options
    reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    I kinda feel the population of Neverwinter is a 50/50 split when it comes to this lol Half want the increased difficulity, the other half want a button masher game.

Suppose it comes down to what group spends more money! lol
  • Options
    ziggerlinziggerlin Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    I think the new combat system and scaling that made the lower level zones MUCH harder also made Avernus easier. The "ape" encounter is embarrassingly easy now compared to what it was just over a week ago. Avernus is, in some ways, easier for decently geared level 80 characters to quest solo than doing Cloak Tower with five decent players.
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    reg1981 said:

I kinda feel the population of Neverwinter is a 50/50 split when it comes to this lol Half want the increased difficulity, the other half want a button masher game.

I am a prime example of a player who wants a challenge [think Valindra boss fight or the Malabog castle final boss fight] but who doesnt want to learn a shedload of mechanics [think Zariel]. I enjoy a fight where the Tank draws aggro and the healer heals the tank and the dps bring down the fearsome beast. That *feels* like what D&D should be about.

One shot kill tactics are fair enough, as long as it doesn't mean I have to be an arcade platform type player, the pull push in CoDG is a classic case of I know what to do and when to do it, but I still manage to get pulled off occasionally. Ok the more I do it the better I seem to get...

But there are one shot killers in the other end game dungeons I still dont know what happened sometimes!

[Yeah I know theres YouTube]

For me the balance is about teamwork + stats + experience vs the monster + the mechanics, when that is balanced abotu right it makes for an enjoyable experience.
  • Options
    bluecoder#3448 bluecoder Member Posts: 14 Arc User

reg1981 said:

I am a prime example of a player who wants a challenge [think Valindra boss fight or the Malabog castle final boss fight] but who doesnt want to learn a shedload of mechanics [think Zariel]. I enjoy a fight where the Tank draws aggro and the healer heals the tank and the dps bring down the fearsome beast. That *feels* like what D&D should be about.

One shot kill tactics are fair enough, as long as it doesn't mean I have to be an arcade platform type player, the pull push in CoDG is a classic case of I know what to do and when to do it, but I still manage to get pulled off occasionally. Ok the more I do it the better I seem to get...

But there are one shot killers in the other end game dungeons I still dont know what happened sometimes!

[Yeah I know theres YouTube]

For me the balance is about teamwork + stats + experience vs the monster + the mechanics, when that is balanced abotu right it makes for an enjoyable experience.
    There would be no problem with that but then doesnt it sound counterintuitive that they make relevant content easy and boring and make older ones harder?

• Options
    davewedavewe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Why I have uninstalled the game it's just a hit your left mouse button game again whilst drinking your cup of tea.

I was not overly happy with game but put my hopes on the new patch making Neverwinter more like a MMORPG and less like a kids game and got me wish, and then they take it away again, so Arc basically made up my mind for me.