test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

History repeats itself

ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
This feels like Mod 6 all over again. Back then, the whole system changed as well. Everyone needed new stats and new gear. It was too much for some people. Every last person I knew in real life quit the game. These people spent thousands of dollars buying the things I was wearing and recommending to them.

They all said they felt robbed. Not by me, but by the company. I myself was running a leadership army at the time and could afford to remake my character and did. So I stayed when they all left.

Here we are. History repeating itself. People leaving all over the place giving all their stuff away because the KNOW they'll NEVER be back. You can be assured none of these people will ever recommend this game to anyone and if asked their replies will only be negative.

For me personally I am okay with the new system and once again I could afford to remake my character and will be staying. But scaling is a show stopper for me. As it stands right now. Item level determines damage. If 2 players many thousands of item level apart are scaled to the same item level, then they will have the same damage. The only things separating them will be minor stat differences and armor +damage bonuses.

It doesn't make sense to upgrade your character for higher item level when it will just be scaled away. Forget about item level. Pick gear with the best +damage bonuses regardless of item level. You are going to be scaled down anyway. Even the new dungeon will scale my 54k character to 51k. I've already decided I won't be doing scaled content going forward. If the dungeon remains scaled, I guess I'll be skipping that as well and I'm done playing altogether. I'll just continue to do what I've done for the last 8 years and hang out in PE. At this point, chat is much more entertaining then the game anyway.

Comments

• vastano#2343 vastano Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    haha lol i agree since the changes i log on to collect my key (30 days left) and hang round pe as well
    though i have got my toon sorted anmd those left in alliance have also got theres
    but as for pug redq or rtq no way i am not wasting an hour of my time to either fail or get a black pearl
  • datarider#1036 datarider Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    ph33rm3 said:

I felt responsible for all my family/friends losses. I recommended the game to them. I told them what to buy.

Needless to say. I haven't recommended this game to anyone in many years. I don't ever want to feel like that again. They all said the same thing, "It's okay. It's not your fault". But no matter how many times they said it I still felt and still feel, responsible.

lol same - I got few ppl into the game 3 months ago :D and I can say from a 2nd hand new player perspective - they are quitting since they saw about the changes on the preview :D feel sad - they even gave money to the game..
    I even gave good review to the game on steam - 2 months after mod16. Said that no way this happens again and no way they don't learn a lesson... I was wrong haha 1 hour lomm yesterday with fairly decent group.. :D:D
    changed my review.. not that it matters :D
  • shugenshashugensha Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    Wait wait wait wait wait.. If history repeats itself here.. Does that mean the templock is coming back!?
    The meta it's just a guideline. And guidelines are boring.

Soulweaver: The Lovely Red
    Minstrel: The Rose Troubadour

not all history... some of it :D
  • larrylowlife83larrylowlife83 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    This happened in Mod 6 then in MOD 16. It happened with Permabubble pallys, haste dc's, power share, etc. It happened with Twisted Weapons, to Fangbreaker Weapons, to River District, etc. The game continuously changes. It takes a month or so to get used to it and then it's back to normal. If you were endgame before the mod ull be endgame after the mod.

You think people were happy when they got rid of checking the rewards box before using key, twisted weapons in lockboxes, complete overhaul in mod 16, scaling down, bonding stone changes, account wide ad cap, etc. People will come, people will leave. Everytime something "drastic" happens, there's always a mass exodus. It happens. Stop whining about the "end of Neverwinter" and start figuring out how to adjust to the new reality.
  • larrylowlife83larrylowlife83 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    > @autumnwitch said:
    > So you're saying only endgame players matter? What about everyone new-ish, mid and not end game not being able to play content they could before. I suspect these people constitute a way larger group than endgamers and also spend way more cash than endgamers as well.

No. What I'm saying is the grind is the grind. They aren't going to leave areas unplayable. They will fix it. Players will adjust to the changes like they have mod after mod.

> @autumnwitch said:

> So you're saying only endgame players matter? What about everyone new-ish, mid and not end game not being able to play content they could before. I suspect these people constitute a way larger group than endgamers and also spend way more cash than endgamers as well.

No. What I'm saying is the grind is the grind. They aren't going to leave areas unplayable. They will fix it. Players will adjust to the changes like they have mod after mod.

Few players adjust tho :D half leave and new players come... Only about 10-15% "adjust" IMO. If you think losing half of your player base every year is good bussines.. w/e dont care :D
  • madrigal#2900 madrigal Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    shugensha said:

Wait wait wait wait wait.. If history repeats itself here.. Does that mean the templock is coming back!?

but...but....i never left!

As one of the newbies...started about 2 months or so ago, Here are my comments.

Under the old system the only real complaint I had was that spell casters and missile attackers would bring down the first 2 dragons before any melee attackers could get in a blow....

T

All valid comments from a presious new player :)

About the dragons - you just need to place an AOE attack on the spot where dragon lands - there are indications /circle/ for enemy presense there. Throw axes /or do a mighty leap/ or place a smoke and you will be hiting it :)
  • thelawra#4078 thelawra Member Posts: 13 Arc User

As one of the newbies...started about 2 months or so ago, Here are my comments.

I never thought he game was easy before the change. It had plenty of challenge for those that did not buy starter packs, or buy lvl 70 characters. Part of the enjoyment I thought was to build a character from scratch...gives one a chance to actually learn their class. I also prefer playing solo...except of course when group play s required.

My classes are Blademaster and Rogue Assassin,,,,Bother are primarily melee DPS. Neither is LVL 80 in fact I am in the low 60s and item level is <10k. (I keep hearing how great all these lvl 80 with 20k are doing). I have reworked stats and enchantments

Neither character can survive in any of their current quest lines or campaigns. Initially I would die in <3min....now I can fight 10min. Note I do not even get to bosses anymore. I have even tried going to previously completed areas like Ebon Downs, Neverdeath Grave Yard and it feels like I am fighting with weapons that only give paper cuts instead of doing any real damage. My armor even with enchantments is like card board where even a single kolbld knife or axe penetrations and kills me where I stand before I can close the distance.

I only have the freely available companions, and free mounts. As it stands no matter how hard I try I just cant even survive the simplest of encounters...which basic means the game is an exercise in frustration thus the fun factor is gone with my motivation to play while the game is in this particular state.

Prior to the update I was begin sufficiently challenged..Especially in Mt Hotenow and working through the Chasm. It too about 15 tries to get past the first boss in the Chasm (now I cannot imagine or want to imagine the difficulty of the task.

I tried making a new character to see if restarting in this new environment might help in adapting to the new system. That Character it level 20 and unable to progress in Blacklake. I am stuck n the merchant Guild as the axe throws rip me part. No amount of stealth or dodging is helping, I have tried all the "pro" tips from those who seem to enjoy this level of play and frustration and for me it simply does not work. Scaling up and down that they have implemented perhaps should only come into play for those at lvl80 as it does only seem that positive reviews are coming from endgame players and not new or casual players.

I will not spend money on a game that does not bring some sense of satisfaction or fun as there is simply no point and there are other games and companies that deserve my disposable dollars. At least for now I can progress on the console version as this "patch" has not infected the console game yet. It's still fun and challenging there.

Under the old system the only real complaint I had was that spell casters and missile attackers would bring down the first 2 dragons before any melee attackers could get in a blow....The dragon would be dead while flying forcing melee attacker to wait another 20 min for another chance.

That could have been remedied simply by changing the graphic to include the dragon landing thus allow everyone to begin combat once the dragon had landed. Or by simple courtesy by those with ranged attacks. </p>

I am on the same boat as you, mate. I enjoyed the game before and had a lot of fun playing it. Now, I struggle A LOT and my progression has grinded to a frustrated halt. You're not alone in this pain.