test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you are having trouble after combat rework, read this!

Comments

• ultramath#3953 ultramath Member Posts: 143 Arc User

I've been progressing well and im lvl 50 now! I can root my enemies and keep them in place as I shoot them down with my ranger. Melee mobs are piece of cake but when im getting hammered by 4+ ranged enemies it's so annoying lol

I knew you could do it, man! Don't listen to the negativity on the forums or in zone chat. For every complainer about the sky falling or how this is the end of the game or whatever, I see dozens of new players making it work in the leveling areas -- most of them having a much easier time than me! LOL
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited January 2021

I've been progressing well and im lvl 50 now! I can root my enemies and keep them in place as I shoot them down with my ranger. Melee mobs are piece of cake but when im getting hammered by 4+ ranged enemies it's so annoying lol

I knew you could do it, man! Don't listen to the negativity on the forums or in zone chat. For every complainer about the sky falling or how this is the end of the game or whatever, I see dozens of new players making it work in the leveling areas -- most of them having a much easier time than me! LOL
    The difference is you didnt have time/money invested into the game, like being a guild leader that worked the boons from lvl 1-10. You not having that invested, means your opinion is about just starting players, and you ignore that the game changed the actual boon now. Are they going to let us choose a new boon of equivilant lvl? No
    stark760 said:

The difference is you didnt have time/money invested into the game, like being a guild leader that worked the boons from lvl 1-10. You not having that invested, means your opinion is about just starting players, and you ignore that the game changed the actual boon now. Are they going to let us choose a new boon of equivilant lvl? No

I have been playing this game, off and on, in its many forms since about launch. Mod 1 maybe? Mod 2?

Anyway, when I was around I have seen with each new change in the game mechanics or... anything, really... the mountain of inevitable grief from the playerbase. This has happened a bunch of times. I just can't be bothered to be worried or angry anymore. I never really was in the first place.

People are coming in this thread telling me that they're level 63 and can't fight mobs in Blacklake? Come on, man. I was clearing that area no problem naked with the starter weapon at level 5. I get that people are upset -- I have seen this many times before -- but exaggerating things WAAAAAY out of proportion isn't helpful to anyone. Neither is unloading a bunch of retaliatory grief back at the griefers.

You just can't stop this reactionary stuff. All you can do is get caught up in it or not. I'm choosing NOT. I'm allowed to do that. I am not some shill for Cryptic trying to get people to buy stuff -- in fact you can plainly see I am advocating for the exact opposite with my playthru. I am making it work, even with gimping myself on purpose. You don't need to buy anything with real money.
  • ovacomerovacomer Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I think change is good! Figure it out! We all have spent funds and ran many dungeons, trials an skirmishes to develop our toons and we will adapt to this. This game is a metaphor for life.....someone always moves the goalpost!!!
    Well, the patch tomorrow morning will nerf pretty much every mob that gave me grief in my playthru so far. I'm interested to see if after the patch I will have any issues in Mt Hotenow. That area is LOADED with ranged mobs. I will also check on the hordes of ash zombies and make sure they aren't overwhelming compared to before.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

The problem is people are weaker in all zones now destroying any sense of progression. Removing progression from a D&D based game is like removing the force from a game about Jedi.

This update fundamentally changes how the game feels and is played from the ground up. They might as well rename it "NW Gauntlet" at this point and remove any sense of levelling from the game because it doesn't matter any more. All you do is fight just as hard no matter what you do and no matter what you accomplish it doesn't matter because you don't get stronger, you just get more stuff that really doesn't do anything different.

They already did that when they couldn't figure out how to use Armor Class (AC) and dropped it.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    My big problem is damage has been Nerfed.

I've already suggested that they drop the Sharandar Grind Fest and do three episodes from Rime of the Frostmaiden:
    • Xardock's Fortress (and a Chardalyn Dragon)
    • Abode of Auril
    • Rise of Ythrym
    Something that actually might be fun, Oh, and no more Grindy 5 point Quests.

• thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    This rework is bad. The game is no longer fun. Put it back.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    ovacomer said:

I think change is good! Figure it out! We all have spent funds and ran many dungeons, trials an skirmishes to develop our toons and we will adapt to this. This game is a metaphor for life.....someone always moves the goalpost!!!

Change is bad, always. If you don't know this now you will learn with age. I'll be playing other games until this is fixed. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

edited January 2021
    This from the patch notes for tomorrow:
    The Random Leveling Dungeon queue now allows players to queue at level 12 or higher. Undergeared players will be scaled up to an appropriate Item Level.

Just a warning: Neverwinter hasn't always been super-good about scaling chars up. Or down. LOL Maybe they will get it right this time. I hope somebody at Cryptic playtested a little bit after they fiddled with some coefficients.

Edit: removed mention of possible exploit just so nobody gets all huffy-puffy
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Well, i'm now waiting for the patch to drop before continuing my low level tank tests... i just hope this "up scaling" won't end up in a way that fighting "in the raw" is better then fighting with everything you have equipped.

Btw. how much damage did the Flame Sprite do, that they had to jump so quickly on nerfing it? Or did the little glowworm only work "properly" with a whole set of Indomitable Runestones slotted? Played around with a rare and an epic one, and it seem to be in line with other companions...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • vastano#2343 vastano Member Posts: 169 Arc User

Just curious on all these supposed success stories as to how much $$$ have you spent for your companions and such. It seems to me based on other threads advising about which companions to choose, not all of us have those options for cash tos spend. My best char is L63 and still has an Item level under 10k.....This character can no longer even survive in Black Lake because he is take out by a single hit with or without CA....My next best is slightly lower and has an even lower item level. As he cannot survive in blacklake...even with stealth, dodging a single hit and am dead.

I started a new toon and same story once hit level 20.

I was challenged plenty under the old system. I struggled with the Rimewolf....and don't get me started about the first boss in the Chasm. (It took 20 tries before I finally succeeded.

As it stand now there s no joy in this game, no fun, thus no motivation.

i will answer that question for you
    i spent most of my time on preview rebuilding my lvl 80 ranger warden so it was still viable
    when this hit live my char was pretty much sorted so all i did was screenshot all the equipment i had (trust me pretty much everything had been changed)
    popped back onto live and copied over yes my toon is ok powering through mobs almost like before but what you asked was cost so here goes
    with exchanging all my bondings (including all those from every alt) for r15 enchants and a few r15 runestones so i can have 2 loadouts also exchanging all my r15 runestones and all my r15 radients through exchange
    i then spent 5k tradbars and 8million ad +

edited January 2021

WHAAAAAAAAA???

And you had r15s before all this you just had to switch around types? And getting more from bonding exchange you still spent this much after all that?

Dude.

Goes to show you how the definition of the word "viable" can vary from person to person. LOL

On a side note, I thought only Ranger HUNTERS were the "viable" paragon path! :p
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited January 2021

WHAAAAAAAAA???

And you had r15s before all this you just had to switch around types? And getting more from bonding exchange you still spent this much after all that?

Dude.

Goes to show you how the definition of the word "viable" can vary from person to person. LOL

On a side note, I thought only Ranger HUNTERS were the "viable" paragon path! :p
    Thats why people are complaining.
    If you had a viable build in the last meta, you have to switch a lot of HAMSTER around now. A lot of this involves buying what many want now, and if you do not have the funds you might want to sell what many others are also trying to get rid of. Or you exchange it for bound versions that you just KNOW will sooner or later need to be switched again, losing the worth of the enchants you had before - and you will have to buy it new.
    The harder the content you ran before (and want to run again), the pricier the switch. (Even if you, say, are not shooting for just released content you will have to apply your toon)
    The biggest arguments are that you CAN run content with a sub-optimal build, but the truth is that for certain content, it is about who would run it with you if your build is sub-optimal. (Yes, yes, friends, who all are still around and in the same timezone and would not mind taking longer / wiping because their friend is not up to upgrade)
    That all happened before. It will happen again. You can run zones with pretty much whatever - maybe not now, but after they nerfed the game back to what it was before (this happened in M16 too, it took them 1-2 weeks to "adjust" the game, including the mobs that are suprisingly deranged now, like zombies in dread ring - that was the same thing in M16) then yes, you can.
    Depending on what you want to run and who you are going to run it with, it is about effectiveness.
    - bye bye -

People are coming in this thread telling me that they're level 63 and can't fight mobs in Blacklake? Come on, man. I was clearing that area no problem naked with the starter weapon at level 5. I get that people are upset -- I have seen this many times before -- but exaggerating things WAAAAAY out of proportion isn't helpful to anyone. Neither is unloading a bunch of retaliatory grief back at the griefers.

Also, if new people specifically come to the forum to tell the devs that they cannot finish their zones it doesn't mean HAMSTER if you can. Seriously. NW is not dark souls - people come here to play and enjoy and have fun, and you are demeaning them by saying that places they struggle in mean HAMSTER to you.
    I have taken like 20 toons or so through early lvling - early campaigning, I do not struggle with it - I did not in M16, I do not now. It's repetition. Its knowing the game. Its knowing how the controls work, using the environment you so often talk about - its experience. If you are a new player it should be a bit challenging, but not frustrating.
    If there is several (!) new players looking up the forums over an update, it is the dev's part to listen to them. It doesn't mean HAMSTER if other players can finish it - the game is not attracting those new players. The game needs them.

- bye bye -

Thats why people are complaining.
    If you had a viable build in the last meta, you have to switch a lot of HAMSTER around now.

Agreed 100%

HOWEVER

Let's not get things lost in translation for the benefit of newer players who don't realize it:
    When we are saying "viable" with regards to Neverwinter, it is code for "best".

We do this all the time in the forums here. But new folks reading our very civil discussion here might get the impression from our word choices that they NEED to spend perhaps 8 million AD and over 5k tradebars just to play. Because that's what "viable" means to them if they don't know the lingo.

Don't worry new people, you don't need to spend 8 million AD to play this game. LOL
    Thats true, thats just the changing fee.

Meta is meta - endgame is endgame. There is however no need to get those millions through the Zen store - patience and playing the game pays off as well, I guess.
    - bye bye -

Also, if new people specifically come to the forum to tell the devs that they cannot finish their zones it doesn't mean HAMSTER if you can. Seriously. NW is not dark souls - people come here to play and enjoy and have fun, and you are demeaning them by saying that places they struggle in mean HAMSTER to you.
    I have taken like 20 toons or so through early lvling - early campaigning, I do not struggle with it - I did not in M16, I do not now. It's repetition. Its knowing the game. Its knowing how the controls work, using the environment you so often talk about - its experience. If you are a new player it should be a bit challenging, but not frustrating.
    If there is several (!) new players looking up the forums over an update, it is the dev's part to listen to them. It doesn't mean HAMSTER if other players can finish it - the game is not attracting those new players. The game needs them.

This point is probably moot since everything is nerfed as of this morning's maintenance, but I maintain that a lev 63 character would not -- ABSOLUTELY NOT -- have any problem clearing content in Blacklake even at this game's worst. That was an exaggeration. It just was, and don't try to tell me it wasn't. At no point in calling out this obvious exaggeration did I try to "demean" anybody. Check the mirror, jules.
    edited January 2021
    - eh, forget it
    - bye bye -
  • vastano#2343 vastano Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited January 2021

WHAAAAAAAAA???

Dude.

ok you tell me how you change 15 legendary insignia to 15 completely different legendary ensignia

and upgrade 1 blue mount to mythic because you happen to need that mounts power now
    also upgrade 10 companions (only 3 of which were lvl 40 before) to mythic without spending that sort of ad there are plenty of people in game and on here could do with your wisdom
    last time i looked was 700000 ad for 100 companion tokens considering it takes 120 to go from epic to legendary and 150 tikens to go from legendarey to mythic with inflation seems i got away lightly

ok you tell me how you change 15 legendary insignia to 15 completely different legendary ensignia

and upgrade 1 blue mount to mythic because you happen to need that mounts power now
    also upgrade 10 companions (only 3 of which were lvl 40 before) to mythic without spending that sort of ad there are plenty of people in game and on here could do with your wisdom
    last time i looked was 700000 ad for 100 companion tokens considering it takes 120 to go from epic to legendary and 150 tikens to go from legendarey to mythic with inflation seems i got away lightly

I'm not saying that you did anything wrong. If you go back and read what I wrote, I simply noted you used the word "viable" in a way that doesn't really mean what it means to most other people.
    On a different note, the this morning's nerf missed Mt. Hotenow. The mobs there are still very dangerous, unlike everywhere else I've been with trashGWF and checked that the mobs had been depowered quite a bit, especially the ranged trash. I was able to take off all gear and unsummon Giggles and just stand around leisurely inside CA letting mobs in most areas swing at me until I was almost dead and then wipe them out in seconds. Mount Hotenow is still bugged, almost unplayable for trashGWF at this point, so be warned if you are going to that area.
  • baltboy#0562 baltboy Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Played for several hours Saturday and made some adjustments to stats to try to push all of them as close to 50% as possible given my gear, mount, companion limitations. Did lots of dailies, AD runs, and randoms. Icewind Dale still feels very overpowered. Mobs in general at level appropriate content are still way OP. Did defending the bulwark I died 4 times trying to clear the initial rush. Died one more time during the battle for Aldric. This included using several shots of a health stone. Previously using a handful of health potions I could clear it with difficulty without dying. Aldic himself is WAY stronger than me now one shotting almost anything he hits. One of three things needs to happen to balance this out. The mobs attack needs to be slower, the tanky builds need to have much more HP, or the shield needs to be able to absorb much more damage. The latter is really the change that would bring the mobs back into balance for the Vanguard fighter.
    edited January 2021

Played for several hours Saturday and made some adjustments to stats to try to push all of them as close to 50% as possible given my gear, mount, companion limitations. Did lots of dailies, AD runs, and randoms. Icewind Dale still feels very overpowered. Mobs in general at level appropriate content are still way OP. Did defending the bulwark I died 4 times trying to clear the initial rush. Died one more time during the battle for Aldric. This included using several shots of a health stone. Previously using a handful of health potions I could clear it with difficulty without dying. Aldic himself is WAY stronger than me now one shotting almost anything he hits. One of three things needs to happen to balance this out. The mobs attack needs to be slower, the tanky builds need to have much more HP, or the shield needs to be able to absorb much more damage. The latter is really the change that would bring the mobs back into balance for the Vanguard fighter.

Have you tried it JUST now? As in log in right now and check it out after this morning's maintenance. Supposedly they rebalanced a lot of stuff. Which I can confirm they did in the leveling areas with the exception of Mt Hotenow. I'm about to check out Whispering Caverns.

They definitely aren't 100% done balancing yet.

Edit: LOL, yes it is easier to do Whispering Caverns than Mt Hotenow right now. If you are at that cusp of like lev55 or 56 or more and you're about to go to Mt Hotenow, I would suggest you just skip straight to Whispering Caverns instead, even if the map tries to warn you not to go there. Don't worry you can always go back later after they fix it some more.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    Well, another Cloak Tower run done... level 39 Fighter, IL 15k, and the minions are still hitting harder then the bosses. Doing everything i can as tank, watching to avoid or block any power attacks, keeping the enemies more or less lined up in front of me, and it still feels like they're hitting straight through my defenses.

It also looks like the up scaling is working better then the down scaling, just throw your equipment into your bag and enjoy better ratings then with your precious items slotted. I mean i'm all for supporting new players here, but the same should go for players that have spend either real money or a lot of time improving their characters!

Anyway, next run i'll just bag most of my items to see how that feels...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    They aren't done balancing yet. I've posted in the bug report section about Hotenow being harder to play than Whispering Caverns. The orc axe throwers are fixed, but the kobold hurlers definitely aren't.

If somebody is trying to level around 55 right now, it is a good idea to skip Mt Hotenow and go straight to Whispering Caverns, even if the map tries to warn you not do this. Trust me.
  • netherdragon#0997 netherdragon Member Posts: 51 Arc User

They aren't done balancing yet. I've posted in the bug report section about Hotenow being harder to play than Whispering Caverns. The orc axe throwers are fixed, but the kobold hurlers definitely aren't.

If somebody is trying to level around 55 right now, it is a good idea to skip Mt Hotenow and go straight to Whispering Caverns, even if the map tries to warn you not do this. Trust me.

I'm lvl 60 now and I just finished Mt Hotenow! This no doubt has been the WORSE area in the game for my archer so far, the damage those fire elemental archers did to me was insane. I had a feeling after the first few quests that this place would be brutal and it was. I died a handful of times but I managed to get through that zone, the only thing that was hard was dealing with those ranged mobs.

I'm lvl 60 now and I just finished Mt Hotenow! This no doubt has been the WORSE area in the game for my archer so far, the damage those fire elemental archers did to me was insane. I had a feeling after the first few quests that this place would be brutal and it was. I died a handful of times but I managed to get through that zone, the only thing that was hard was dealing with those ranged mobs.

LOL you are a hero! I don't know how you managed it unless you can self-heal. I'm running my cleric through Mount Buggednow and the only reason I am doing as well as I am is because of Soothe and Hallowed Ground. I tried trashGWF but it wasn't happening -- not without health potions. It's too much.

There's no way they are going to leave it like this. After the next patch I'll run trashGWF and Giggles through there to check it, but there's no point right now. Whispering Caverns is like 2 times easier and it's supposed to be harder.
  • cracklepants#2252 cracklepants Member Posts: 69 Arc User

They aren't done balancing yet.

This is the problem. They release the equivalent of "a good second draft" to live. The lack of holistic QA is shocking. We are players, not playtesters.