test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Was this change needed?

I have been reading in the game chat, That there are a LOT of unhappy people with the current changes to the game. High level characters complaining about being taken down in one shot by a creature, Bosses becoming to OP, etc, etc.... There are some things I like about the new changes, But there are more that I don't. This could lead to a loss of the number of players in the game if you cater to a certain portion of the players and ignore the rest.

Comments

• eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Generally agree. I like some of the UI changes, I can see why they wanted to change Bondings and Power, but the rest has been too heavy handed. It's not that I can't do it, it's just much less fun to do. Very little feeling of any improvement before you hit the highest qualities of enchants, comp qualities, and mount qualities.

If it were more linear, or the costs to upgrade comp/mounts and refine enchants were more affordable, I'd be much happier. Put altogether and it's discouraging.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying, they took a ball-pein hammer sized problem and tried to fix it with a starship orbital strike.
    Call me El, she/her only. Currently Professions-only until the next combat change fixes this mess.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    They are using those high end players as testers tho, so I can understand that they are indeed listening to them - even if they have not always acknowledged the preview testing they did use it to fix at least the most outstanding bugs - and most casual players simply do not preview.

The situation is a dead end, probably.
    - bye bye -
  • maxzius#3795 maxzius Member Posts: 165 Arc User

I have been reading in the game chat, That there are a LOT of unhappy people with the current changes to the game. High level characters complaining about being taken down in one shot by a creature, Bosses becoming to OP, etc, etc.... There are some things I like about the new changes, But there are more that I don't. This could lead to a loss of the number of players in the game if you cater to a certain portion of the players and ignore the rest.

In theory, it should be easier for the devs to scale things after this patch. Unfortunately they are terrible at math and the scaling is worse than it used to be. As it stands now, there is almost no reason to run the highest IL gear (only if you want to run end-game dungeons and you can just keep a separate set for that) as a 40k char and a 50k char will do the exact same damage when scaled down for 97% of the content in this game. There is literally no real reason to try and progress anymore.
  • c3rb3r3c3rb3r3 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    neverwinter ... you know the drill. 1 step forward, 2 backwards.
    I learned the hard way. I come back every ~2-3 mods now, see what's up, play like a casual, then leave. After all, there's no point in burning myself out.
    I just think this there's not enough people working on this game anymore. Reworks are interesting, but are often broken so it's sad. Some things like companion rework do look good, but again everything is screwed due to current scaling formulas.
  • intothegrooveintothegroove Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Must reiterate this:

"As it stands now, there is almost no reason to run the highest IL gear (only if you want to run end-game dungeons and you can just keep a separate set for that) as a 40k char and a 50k char will do the exact same damage when scaled down for 97% of the content in this game. There is literally no real reason to try and progress anymore."

Having re-balanced my 50k IL rogue and done several skirmishes and dungeons it is disheartening to see my dps only just beating that of a character 10k IL lower. I understand the need for some scaling to make the older content more of a challenge but this is penalising end game players. The scaling needs to change. Why bother to invest all that time, grind and money if its going to be removed when you go and play anything thats not end game?
  • dagmurdagmur Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    An old dungeon is an old dungeon is an old dungeon ... It doesn't get any better by scaling. The truth is that this developer team obviously has no ideas anymore. Since years, they just release broken Modules or Patches. I wonder why.
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    There were definitely some issues that needed addressing in the game. How weak Charthraxis is compared to at-level characters in Neverdeath, how a max geared character can blow through all lower content at a dead run, how tricky it is to gear up properly for different situations etc. How to make a party of differing levels work better in older content than "just run as fast as you can to keep up with the high-geared fellow in front".

Also how to make most companions more than a collection of paperweights, etc.

However as usual, instead of addressing the actual problems with an actual solution, Cryptic just said "Hey guys let's break the progress people have put years and dollars into, shake it up and make them start over again as if they were noobs!"

The difference is, most good players look at these issues with the mindset "What would make an interesting game and a good play experience?". Cryptic is looking at it from the mindset of "We don't actually play so we don't really care about the experience. What will make players pay more money and spend excess AD, and what can we do with the 2 guys we have on staff who can actually change code without breaking more than they change, and what jives well with whatever corporate phrases our current producer likes to spout?".

When you compare those two mindsets you get very different outcomes.

Personally my aim would have been to create a setup where in any given situation, players that are low-level/low-geared for it face a significant challenge, at-level characters face a decent challenge, and over-geared characters find it relatively easy but not a cakewalk. You'd come out with a sort of bell-shaped curve of "Your gear/power level vs the content level" and I can easily code at least 3 ways of producing this. But then, apparently I'm not the sort of programmer or designer that Cryptic would hire.
  • ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited January 2021

Must reiterate this:

"As it stands now, there is almost no reason to run the highest IL gear (only if you want to run end-game dungeons and you can just keep a separate set for that) as a 40k char and a 50k char will do the exact same damage when scaled down for 97% of the content in this game. There is literally no real reason to try and progress anymore."

Having re-balanced my 50k IL rogue and done several skirmishes and dungeons it is disheartening to see my dps only just beating that of a character 10k IL lower. I understand the need for some scaling to make the older content more of a challenge but this is penalising end game players. The scaling needs to change. Why bother to invest all that time, grind and money if its going to be removed when you go and play anything thats not end game?

That's not the worst part. The newest dungeon coming with mod 20 scales players above 51k DOWN to 51k. There are no words.
    Post edited by ph33rm3 on
  • datarider#1036 datarider Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    cryptic dev looking at the broken game: "TIS BUT A SCRATCH!"
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited January 2021

I will focus on this

"if you cater to a certain portion of the players"

I don't know a single person who likes these changes nor was hoping for something like this. So I think it is not good to state how Playerbase wanted this, or even a portion of the players in general. Nobody I know wanted this, nobody talked about this, I never saw anything even remotely similar in 10+ Discord channels I visited, I never saw anything similar in 10+ In-Game channels I frequented, nor I saw anything similar on the forums.

There is no explanation as in to why these changes are superior to M16 changes nor what is the focus for it. There was no discussion about it either so that we find some common ground. This change simply happened, and just like that nearly everything you've worked on in the past two years became obsolete. M6 vibes all over again. You'd think that they've learned their lesson from it.

The lack of transparency and adequate communication is what's killing this game, and it is not like the players have big expectations. Everything else feels like a marketing sham. It is like one of those "Not my job" memes happening within the company, I guarantee!

Wizard's Daily bugged for two years in a row and counting!

Don't mind this sentence, it has a 40% chance to proc whenever I leave a comment.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • shugenshashugensha Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    I always thought that the devs only do what the higher ups demand to them to do and if our feedback doesn't align with what the higher ups wants... Well, you all know the outcome.
    The meta it's just a guideline. And guidelines are boring.

Soulweaver: The Lovely Red
    Minstrel: The Rose Troubadour