test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leveling new toon after the Combat Sytem changes...

wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
I didnt find an official thread where this would fit, but this one is for you @noworries#8859

First of all ; The combat system changes makes the leveling process feel extremely fun as opposed to the far too easy leveling we currently have on live server. Some tweaks are needed to not scare away new players, as a few fights got a bit too hard for a "veteran" player like me.

After about 12 hours, I got a fresh toon to level 30. These are my observations :

1. Before making the paragon selection at level 30, my toon felt extremely weak compared to zone critters. This got progressively worse to the point where I had to use the guards of Helms Hold to help me kill the critters to finish the last two quests to hit level 30. As soon as I was able to select paragon path (in this case Dreadnaught Figther), my stats got a huge boost from Forte. I suggest having a generic Forte distribution for pre-paragon selection toons to help with this issue. Forte contributing to Power,Defense and Combat Advantage for all toons until Paragon selection is my suggestion. Edit : From watching other players level up other classes, I have learned that the jump in difficulty may be linked to the Fighters lack of control powers.

2. The ingame tutorial needs a MAJOR rework as new players need to be informed about basic game mechanics. As it is now, I had to use all that I have learned from years of playing the game to force my way to level 30. There is nothing in the game informing about basics like Combat Advantage, threat generation,

3. The Adventurers Rewards (chest that can be opened as we level up) should include materials for upgrading companions, mounts and insignia to inform players this actually is a thing. This could help inform players that their pitiful magnitude 30 mount combat power can be upgraded, that there are alternatives to the 250.000 upgrade cost for a green companion and that insignia can be upgraded.

4. Companion gear and green insignia should be added to quest rewards/bounty merchants.

5. Leveling dungeons should have their loot table updated.

6. Item level requirement for the public queues with the leveling dungeons is 15.000. At level 33 with all the best gear the game provides at this point, I’m 6700. This will actually lock new players out of public dungeon runs.

7. The introduction of the new combat system would be a perfect time to take a look at the rewards from the referral program. Increased quality of the companion and mount from green to blue would make new players aware of the benefits from upgrading the ones they already have. Adding equip bonuses to the gear would give players an early peek at awaits when gearing for epic content. Increased visibility of the referral program with the help of content creators and maybe a few mentions in the CMs ( @nitocris83 @cwhitesidedev#9752 ) streams/blog posts would help with new player awareness.

8. Maybe this is the right time to remove levels all together? Making skills and game mechanics unlock by introduction quest line instead of level unlocks? This would make players able to start building their toons from the very beginning instead of wasting time gathering gear and resources they will out-level on their way to 80.

I will add more to this post as I make my way to lvl 80.
Elite Whaleboy
Post edited by wilbur626 on

Comments

• rainer#8575 rainer Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    So, I was the other guy leveling up a toon on preview - inspired by @wilbur626 and his struggles. I leveled up a Ranger to 16 in one session, and although it being a bit harder than before, it is manageable (definitely not as tough as the fighter...)

So here point 1: Maybe I haven't progressed enough yet, but in no situation did I really feel something was too difficult to overcome - even without my forte bonus. It does make sense though to give some kind of "standard forte" for those who haven't picked a paragon yet (Power, Critical Strike, Defense would be a good set). Disadvantage might be that once you do pick a paragon, you all of a sudden have different stat distribution and your character might feel very different while playing - but that might also be intended.

Point 2: Agreed

Point 3: It would be nice (and this could also be part of the tutorial) indeed if we got some kind of mount and companion upgrade in the form of tokens in the starter packs indeed, to make people familiar with those mechanics.

Point 4: Wouldnt hurt - those things cost no gold to replace (like enchantments)

Point 5: This depends on other changes. Basically time invested vs rewards should be correct

Point 6: Random (leveling) Dungeon Queue should indeed be available once you're through Cloak Tower (~6k item level - yes it's early)

Point 7: Agreed

Point 8: Leveling up to 80 actually does nothing anymore now, except for prevent you from wearing certain gear. If you level - your character does not get stronger at all (yes you might unlock extra powers), which is odd in a game like this - but I don't really see a way around it in the new system. Is removing levels the way? It would make it so that players can get "level 80" gear from the start and skip the leveling areas altogether - so I'm not sure that's the way to go... But leveling should have a bigger impact on character strength.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Adding something in here, because I wanted to check this out myself. I ported over a level 20 Wizard. On live, she has a full set of highest available Professions crafted +1 gear, with some rank 5 and 6 enchants, giving 6k IL.

After porting, I definitely noticed the fighting taking longer. I can survive if I blow potions and do a lot of Blinking around and freezing. But it takes forever to take enemies down, a good 4 times longer. Although Wizard has been a slower class to damage than my other DPS classes, the "overgearing" I did was helping me make up for it.

My Dark enchants are essentially useless, since I have no Forte yet. I agree that some base stat boosts from Forte need to be there from level 1-30.
    Call me El, she/her only. Currently Professions-only until the next combat change fixes this mess.
  • haludor#3628 haludor Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    just tried leveling a wizard and got from 1 -10 alright, the NPC's were a little harder than I remember, but doable.
    but the one thing I noticed most was that the "daily" attacks do less damage then encounter attacks. this might be something the Devs overlooked on the calculations. just a heads up devs