test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you are having trouble after combat rework, read this!

Comments

• aletheionaletheion Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    > @"ultramath#3953" said:
    > DOOD... another cleric! LOL
    >
    > You got Daunting Glow, Searing Javelin (good one!), and a radiant at will for AoE. HOW ARE YOU NOT WRECKING FACE?
    >
    > Do you not use mount insignias? What about mounts at all? Cram all your mounts full of insignias. Even <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ones boost your TIL and that means more damage and HPs. When you can, set up a couple of Gladiator's Guile for speed, get some Barbarian's Revelry and Survivor's Blessing for self autohealing. Green insignias drop like pinata candy everywhere. Chests, skill nodes, mobs, etc. They are cheap on AH as well if you have some spare change. You can buy POWERFUL comp gear (904, i think? 940?) to put on a companion at any rank that is cheap as dirt on the AH. Look for green stuff without rune slots if you are starting out. Prefixes to search for in AH are "cracked" "pearl" "pointed" "charred". One of those. Companion Belts give defense stat last time I checked.
    >
    > You should be blasting the living <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of everything, you have a legendary chicken for gods sake! :)

I don't know what Elmandakar's setup is, but my stable is full (the freebie horses) with green insignias that give various bonuses, I'm using those skills you mentioned, yet the mobs are so tanky the high damage output just doesn't kill them very fast any more and the incoming damage is just too high to stay alive. I would say yesterday I was wrecking face, but today I'm getting my face wrecked.
  • ultramath#3953 ultramath Member Posts: 143 Arc User

.... I honestly have no idea what Gladiator's Guile, Barbarian's Revelry and Survivor's Blessing are... snip

OOOOOO I can help you. Finally. Those things I mentioned are mount insignia powers you get from having certain mounts slotted with the correct sequence of insignias. For example, any mount slotted with a Regal, Enlightened, and Illuminated insignia of any rank and not necessarily in that order will give you gladiator's guile, which adds 10% to your movement speed. And they stack! Another gladiator's guile from a different mount in your active stable will give you another 5% movement speed, so that's like having an extra 30 points of Dexterity! Survivor's blessing heals you for 1% of your HP every time you deflect any attack. Barbarian's Revelry heals you for 1% of your HP every time you crit. So yeah, when you crit about 50% of every attack and you deflect about 50% of every incoming attack.... it starts to add up.

Survivor's Blessing: Crescent, Crescent, Barbed (doesn't have to be in that order)
    Barbarian's Revelry: Crescent, Enlightened, Enlightened (still doesn't matter what order)

There are a LOT more mount insignia bonuses out there, but these are some pretty good defensive ones that should help keep you alive more.
  • elmandakarelmandakar Member Posts: 32 Arc User

.... I honestly have no idea what Gladiator's Guile, Barbarian's Revelry and Survivor's Blessing are... snip

OOOOOO I can help you. Finally. Those things I mentioned are mount insignia powers you get from having certain mounts slotted with the correct sequence of insignias. For example, any mount slotted with a Regal, Enlightened, and Illuminated insignia of any rank and not necessarily in that order will give you gladiator's guile, which adds 10% to your movement speed. And they stack! Another gladiator's guile from a different mount in your active stable will give you another 5% movement speed, so that's like having an extra 30 points of Dexterity! Survivor's blessing heals you for 1% of your HP every time you deflect any attack. Barbarian's Revelry heals you for 1% of your HP every time you crit. So yeah, when you crit about 50% of every attack and you deflect about 50% of every incoming attack.... it starts to add up.

Survivor's Blessing: Crescent, Crescent, Barbed (doesn't have to be in that order)
    Barbarian's Revelry: Crescent, Enlightened, Enlightened (still doesn't matter what order)

There are a LOT more mount insignia bonuses out there, but these are some pretty good defensive ones that should help keep you alive more.
    Aaahhh, OK; then I do have Gladiator's Guile for sure on a Mount, as I said I am bad at remembering names. The Others, as far as I can remember, is something that increases by companion's damage by 20%, something that enhances my stats after I use my mount's power, something I cannot remember for the life oe me, and yeah, I probably do have the self-healing one.

Aaahhh, OK; then I do have Gladiator's Guile for sure on a Mount, as I said I am bad at remembering names. The Others, as far as I can remember, is something that increases by companion's damage by 20%, something that enhances my stats after I use my mount's power, something I cannot remember for the life oe me, and yeah, I probably do have the self-healing one.

I admit that you're freaking me out a little bit over here. You are WAAAY more powerful of a character than I am.

This is going to sound stupid, but maybe humor me? Take off all your gear (including mount insignias, companion stuff, everything) and then put it all back on. It's like your character is bugged and missed a gear calculation or something. I cannot fathom how you could be having problems... you aren't some noob just standing there and letting yourself get pounded.

I got nuthin' man. Honestly. I thought you were undergeared or didn't know about some things, but you're better than I am.
    armadeonx said:

The one small flaw in the advice on gearing for new players: they have to make sufficient AD to buy the right mounts, insignias, companions etc and that's a lot harder for them now.

Agreed. They might have to do a couple of random dungeons, and that might be a little terrifying right now with so many players upside down in their builds --> there may not be a lot of people running. I can't even remember the last time I was with a group that FAILED a random leveling dungeon, because the thought of that for that past few years would be ludicrous to imagine.

It could happen now. Maybe. The scaling might be bizarre... even a couple of 80s may not be able to carry everyone else anymore.
  • janhow#7164 janhow Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    I started 8 months ago, I have all my Boons and have done a lot of research but what the game really lacks is a good document on direction. Especially now. Mounts, mount collars, mount insignias, companions, companion gear, companion enchants, gear enchants, gear/jewelry enhancement, chest armor and weapon enchants, Boons .... What do you concentrate on? What should be prioritized? Where is the best bang for the buck? Currently trying to get your stats to 50% from what I see is the goal. I think the question is what are the pros and cons of everything available to get there. I think that would aid new people and everyone else.
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

2. Healers are quite strong with the new update. My cleric is healing for A LOT of HP bar% compared to this morning. One Bastion of Health is pretty much going to refill you to full if you only hit one or two players with it. And this is a cleric that is NOT minmaxed in any way -- I'm still leveling at lvl 47 right now, and I'm in blues and greens with no enchants slotted.

I just noticed this part. Well, of course it is, HP have dropped on all characters, so the very same healing as before fills the bar whereas it only added a little before the update :-D I can almost heal myself fully with a radiant potion, but the potion isn't better, my health is much worse.

HP should have gone up for everyone. I know for all my toons that I am familiar with have a ton more HP. Radiant potions have indeed been changed too, a few days ago they only healed 65k, now it's 231k healed.
    Not everyone, tanks got the shaft again on things they had upgraded to get HP bonus of 40%. Example: take one of any companions that gave 16k HP, now they got dropped to 10k at legendary, and tanks get 20% bonus now instead of 40%. Even at mythic, comp goes to 15k hp, so 18k total, whereas i was getting 22.4k hp before. So after tanks upgrade, we lose 4.4k hp.

I started 8 months ago, I have all my Boons and have done a lot of research but what the game really lacks is a good document on direction. Especially now. Mounts, mount collars, mount insignias, companions, companion gear, companion enchants, gear enchants, gear/jewelry enhancement, chest armor and weapon enchants, Boons .... What do you concentrate on? What should be prioritized? Where is the best bang for the buck? Currently trying to get your stats to 50% from what I see is the goal. I think the question is what are the pros and cons of everything available to get there. I think that would aid new people and everyone else.

Thanks, janhow.

You make good points. With bondings out of the picture, it's not so obvious anymore. Do I rush to 70 to get to undermountain gear, and then rush to 80 to get to Avernus and start grinding away at Zuma Bags? How much should I care about boosting my insignia ranks right away? Should I care more about refining my gear enchants? It's all the same currency: RP. Do I rush my artifact gear to legendary before anything else?

I wonder if somebody is calculating this already? I mean there has to be a definable "stats returned per RP" you can figure out for each page of your character sheet.

This is going to sound stupid, but maybe humor me? Take off all your gear (including mount insignias, companion stuff, everything) and then put it all back on. It's like your character is bugged and missed a gear calculation or something. I cannot fathom how you could be having problems... you aren't some noob just standing there and letting yourself get pounded.

I got nuthin' man. Honestly. I thought you were undergeared or didn't know about some things, but you're better than I am.

I sort of did that already, yesterday I removed almost everyrhing and put that back on in different combos to see what I could do to improve the IL

I sort of did that already, yesterday I removed almost everyrhing and put that back on in different combos to see what I could do to improve the IL

And you said you're stuck in the River District? And you're over 70?

Sorry I forget there's been a bunch of posts now lol
    Checked the mount's power, I do not have the healing one, I have a wanderer's fortune that's probably useless though, I will replace it

Checked the mount's power, I do not have the healing one, I have a wanderer's fortune that's probably useless though, I will replace it

Think about this: every time you chuck a Javelin of Light at somebody, you are around 50% chance going to heal from a crit if you have barbarian's revelry. This might be the thing that gets you past "the hump".
  • aodfireravenaodfireraven Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Been playing on and off a long time. Started a new character a week back or so. I try to limit bring in outside gear from other characters. He died in the Kobold Sewers as a lvl 20. I did forget about the combat change and got a nasty surprise. But even changing tactics, it's making it a HAMSTER to be a low level solo player. Improve gear, mounts yada yada. Luckily I can pull gear and mounts from my acct/stronghold banks but I try not to ruin the experience. I'm all for adding some difficulty to higher levels but as always, the adjustment for that screws things up for new toons/players unless they can afford to buy better gear than the usual stuff initially offered.

This reminds me of the rework to the trash mobs in the stronghold, it pretty much killed the idea of taking them on if the toon was 70 and below. Especially in certain areas where trying to move as a non-melee character usually meant drawing in another trash mob.

Been playing on and off a long time. Started a new character a week back or so. I try to limit bring in outside gear from other characters. He died in the Kobold Sewers as a lvl 20. I did forget about the combat change and got a nasty surprise. But even changing tactics, it's making it a HAMSTER to be a low level solo player. Improve gear, mounts yada yada. Luckily I can pull gear and mounts from my acct/stronghold banks but I try not to ruin the experience. I'm all for adding some difficulty to higher levels but as always, the adjustment for that screws things up for new toons/players unless they can afford to buy better gear than the usual stuff initially offered.

This reminds me of the rework to the trash mobs in the stronghold, it pretty much killed the idea of taking them on if the toon was 70 and below. Especially in certain areas where trying to move as a non-melee character usually meant drawing in another trash mob.

There have been a bunch of people in this thread who are having a tough time, too. Did you read my post at the top of the thread? Maybe something in my list can help you with a game plan that doesn't involve spending money? Obviously, getting a higher TIL from buying stuff will make you stronger, but sometimes it can be just as useful to use what you already have a little better than you are used to needing to. I have been hiding behind walls to break line of sight of mobs to cut down on incoming damage, kiting mobs into tight spots to break them down with AoE.. Heck, back in the sewers you could probably drag some of them into one of those floor spike traps or into a spear trap to continually hurt them while you hold your ground and swing away. Haven't had to think about doing something like that in this game for a long time! :)
  • gizmobandoliogizmobandolio Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    I started a new Ranger just yesterday. Geared with greens appropriate for my (low) level i was just trying to do a quest 4 levels beneath me and i erase about 50% of a regular mobs hitpoints using all 3 of my equipped encounter abilities.. That's just not fun imo. I like the idea of actually having to use combat mechanics and not just click 3 buttons and stomp everything, but this is just ridicilous. Every single quest now involves dying several times unless you spam health pots on nearly every encounter, and that will bring you to lose money on every quest. When facing 4 enemies my encounter abilities need to refresh like 10 times to kill the entire group. At-will abilities is almost completely useless, it doesn't even remove a visual part of an enemies health bar.
    Im new to the game, started about a month ago and just managed to get some decent complete gear for my wizard, around item level 1000 or so from doing the master expedition. Those are just impossible now. It's almost impossible to kill any group of enemies there now without dying. Have to focus on bringing one enemy from the group down, then die, run back and kill next, die again and so on.

Im just glad i decided not to put any money into it before trying it out, and i definitely wont now.
    OK now, this literally makes no sense.
    I went to Aquisition Incorporated basement, and just like in River District the mobs did me more damage and resist to more attacks than they ever did (nothing tragic, they still die quite easily, just a bit harder than before). But they I crossed my fingers and went to Avernus where I always struggled anyway and... I struggle anyway, but not more than before, actually maybe a little less. Something is _seriously_ wrong in this. How can it be that mobs in River District that barely damaged me now kill me and mobs in Avernus that usually led me to the doors of death before I managed to put them down (if I did) now don't?
  • aodfireravenaodfireraven Member Posts: 34 Arc User

There have been a bunch of people in this thread who are having a tough time, too. Did you read my post at the top of the thread? Maybe something in my list can help you with a game plan that doesn't involve spending money? Obviously, getting a higher TIL from buying stuff will make you stronger, but sometimes it can be just as useful to use what you already have a little better than you are used to needing to. I have been hiding behind walls to break line of sight of mobs to cut down on incoming damage, kiting mobs into tight spots to break them down with AoE.. Heck, back in the sewers you could probably drag some of them into one of those floor spike traps or into a spear trap to continually hurt them while you hold your ground and swing away. Haven't had to think about doing something like that in this game for a long time! :)
    Like said been playing on and off since beta. Sometimes pulling works, sometimes it doesn't. My point being, a brand new player won't know this and it will probably turn them off for the game. imo, they need to make some adjustments at the really early levels. Either improve general drops or drop trash mobs. As a barbarian, fighter or whatever it's called, it took 12 hits from an early great sword to kill a kobold hurler and around 22 for a dragonshield. I tested it several times and came up with same numbers. I might just start a brand new, straight from the ocean (ok seriously, if going to change some parts of the story than need to drop other parts out of the dialog. And bring back my boy Wilfred) to see how it goes
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    > @elmandakar said:
    > OK now, this literally makes no sense.
    > I went to Aquisition Incorporated basement, and just like in River District the mobs did me more damage and resist to more attacks than they ever did (nothing tragic, they still die quite easily, just a bit harder than before). But they I crossed my fingers and went to Avernus where I always struggled anyway and... I struggle anyway, but not more than before, actually maybe a little less. Something is _seriously_ wrong in this. How can it be that mobs in River District that barely damaged me now kill me and mobs in Avernus that usually led me to the doors of death before I managed to put them down (if I did) now don't?

When I was in Preview threads, everybody was testing Avernus, ToMM, and Zariel, then New Sharandar and its dungeon, and getting Developer response to those. Most other posts got no reply.

Which is why so many people feel the Devs don't care if they make anything other than the Newest Content playable at all. Because that's what we're seeing.
    Call me El, she/her only. Currently Professions-only until the next combat change fixes this mess.
  • cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User

I am already overcautious, I never go headlong into mobs, actually I never even go close to mobs if I can help it. I Always retreat from fights when I can (sometimes you cannot unless you want to reset the encounter). That's how I play all the time. Now it's no longer enough and, I stress again, in a lower level area where I shouldn't have any problem fighting. If all this was happening in the area my PC belong to, I wouldn't be complaining.

Man, I have to ask: what class are you? What are you using for companion? Do you have a way of getting and maintaining Combat Advantage? It may not necessarily be YOU that is getting beat, it may be your build and character setup. Look at Aletheon up above -- he doesn't have any AoE encounter powers because of his feat setup! I can't speak for him here as to what exactly is going on in his battles, but there's no way that is helping him.

I just feel that there is a solution for you, we just need to figure it out. Are you a ranger?
    The barbarian blademaster side will have trouble with what your suggesting at earlier points in the game. They nerfed their rage creation in game as well as the class needs to be close to do their damage. They don't have a CC on their skill bar either and they don't have range outside of a skill that initiates attacks. If they are a new player and don't prioritize the defensive stats to lower the % of damage they take it could be very rough for that class. Add in the fact that most earlier game toons don't have the companions/mounts to deal with the area. The early game things a player who didn't buy anything with will struggle with several of the classes. Especially if they use abilities that aren't min maxed for the type of content they are doing.
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k

Dont worry man you are not the only one I have the same issue I can kill avernus mobs in seconds but dread ring or sharander mobs r taking more time and doing more dmg on me.

That's actually a good reason to worry :-D
  • cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User

armadeonx said:

The one small flaw in the advice on gearing for new players: they have to make sufficient AD to buy the right mounts, insignias, companions etc and that's a lot harder for them now.

Agreed. They might have to do a couple of random dungeons, and that might be a little terrifying right now with so many players upside down in their builds --> there may not be a lot of people running. I can't even remember the last time I was with a group that FAILED a random leveling dungeon, because the thought of that for that past few years would be ludicrous to imagine.

It could happen now. Maybe. The scaling might be bizarre... even a couple of 80s may not be able to carry everyone else anymore.
    You can now fail a random. There will be some that do since the game expects with the new mod all members to be contributing members to the completion of the dungeon. If your working as a group most of the content in the lower end is fine. If you have someone in the party that doesn't participate or does the things that make the content harder your likely to fail.
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k

OK now, this literally makes no sense.
    I went to Aquisition Incorporated basement, and just like in River District the mobs did me more damage and resist to more attacks than they ever did (nothing tragic, they still die quite easily, just a bit harder than before). But they I crossed my fingers and went to Avernus where I always struggled anyway and... I struggle anyway, but not more than before, actually maybe a little less. Something is _seriously_ wrong in this. How can it be that mobs in River District that barely damaged me now kill me and mobs in Avernus that usually led me to the doors of death before I managed to put them down (if I did) now don't?

AHA the plot thickens....

So there IS a bug in some zones! It's not YOU, it's not your gear, it's not your build --

And maybe now you see why I was trying to tell you that the patch didn't ruin things for me leveling? Because it didn't, man! You've been testing the rework changes in a bugged zone!

As for the other folks in the thread who are leveling brand new chars on a budget, I have been doing my best to help you given the parameters of "don't spend money" and "just use dropped gear". Have you actually tried out any of my suggestions? I recently saw a lvl 54 Hellfire Warlock in the chasm just tearing the mobs apart like there wasn't a rework. I think maybe he has some guild boons or something, because he made me look like a weakling with all my casting and dodging around. His gear I saw from an inspection was the blue stuff from bounty drops you can get for 5 bounties each at the bounty hunter vendor. I noticed during his fights that his health barely moved off of full and he was just holding his own without flying around and dancing with the mobs like I was. Maybe his soul puppet was carrying him? Did they ever fix that bug? :)

So there IS a bug in some zones! It's not YOU, it's not your gear, it's not your build --

And maybe now you see why I was trying to tell you that the patch didn't ruin things for me leveling? Because it didn't, man! You've been testing the rework changes in a bugged zone!

Yeah but it just confirms what I have been saying, there is a serious balancing problem in this, and they should have thoroughly checked before putting this mess live.