test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official - Combat Changes - Master Trials

Comments

• karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    Divine Palisade can be buffed to 75% of HP with Unyielding Champion.
  • damnaciousdamnacious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 354 Arc User
    From my own testing of both ToMM and ZC on Preview with these changes, tanks definitely seem to be struggling a lot with the sheer size of the damage output from big hits, and also the frequency of hits.

As suggested in the "Stats" thread, i recommend these as solutions to the problem(s):

Hit Points and TIL
    Increase the bonus HP value gained from TIL for tanks to 80% from 20%, for healers to 40% from 10%, for DPS increase from 0% to 10%. With this simple change, a tank even at 54k IL will have slightly improved their survivability from TIL provided HP of 648k at 20%, to 972k at 80% - thereby slightly readdressing the current imbalance and slightly improving tank survivability.

Deflect Severity and Critical Severity
    Given how easy it has been claimed to be for DPS to cap Critical Severity at 90%, and how challenging it can be for Healers to do so, while it proves literally impossible for anyone but a Rogue to cap Deflect Severity at 90%, I propose removing both Critical Severity and Deflect Severity entirely from the Ratings and giving them both a base constant 90% for all classes, NPCs and roles of all levels. This change will immensely benefit everyone, while providing 'balance' without unbalancing the game.

Tank Shift and Tab mechanics
    Increase the base Stamina regeneration rate for tanks by 33%. This will assist and encourage tanks to use their Shift/Tab mechanics for the big hits, while slightly improving survivability at end-game.

Other sources of Hit Points
    Currently, there has been a logical and progressive move towards changing the stats provided by companions while in Power Slots to provide a % increase in stats. This is definitely a fantastic and much-needed improvement, as it greatly assists with future growth and evolution of the game. However, HP provided by companions and mounts are still static, and i believe that changing these values to a % also, will significantly increase the ease by which players will experience future changes and growth

Okay so you agree that sentinels and justicars need an extra 15% awareness on their tab mechanic like fighter? Lol. I play a sentinel, as does Malistaire, and we just want to be AS GOOD AS the easy tank =P. Based on Malistaire's tests on the previous page, Sentinels don't even have 60% like fighter does. We would need a 10% buff and 15% awareness just to be equal to fighter. I don't care if they nerf fighter or buff sentinel/justicar, I just want the tanks to all be equally good. Right now sentinel has been a running joke on live server since mod 16 first dropped. It has the worst aggro, worst survivability, and worst group support based on their encounters/dailies/mechanics lol.

I, most definitely, agree that Barbarians and Paladins seem to need a bit more buffing to assist with managing the damage output from Combat Advantage increases.

However, I don't generally end-game much with my Barbarian or my Paladin, as much as end-game with my Fighter, so my experience and knowledge pertaining to what might be best for either Barbarian and/or Paladin isn't going to be of much use and shouldn't be given much consideration - if any.
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User

The saddest thing i've seen in this thread so far, is not anything to do with the changes, but how all players of tanks seem to be focussing upon insisting that the 'other tank(s)' get nerfed, rather than just focussing on what their class requires to become effective.

To me, providing suggestions on how to improve the general system while not encouraging targeted nerfing is generally a far better approach.

The last thing you really want me to start doing is the same thing i've seen so far - targeting everyone else and insisting on nerfs.

Sorry to say this but Fighter was stupidly OP with the 90% Awareness cap with Dig In. It is not that we "target" the class because we don't like it. It was extremely unbalanced and had to be mentioned in this thread.
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
    hastati96 said:

Sorry to say this but Fighter was stupidly OP with the 90% Awareness cap with Dig In. It is not that we "target" the class because we don't like it. It was extremely unbalanced and had to be mentioned in this thread.

I think a better understanding of the use and context would have clearly indicated that it wasn't as great as you might like to think.

The difficulty with having that hard cap obtainable via usage of Dig In was that it was temporary, required framing, and resulted in a loss of Threat/HATE while benefiting from it.

If the 'buff' to Awareness was a 'timed duration' buff, such as "use Dig In, and for 4 seconds gain x Awareness", then that would definitely have been too far overpowered and would require nerfing.

If Dig In actually allowed the Fighter to deal damage to maintain and generate Threat while using it, then i would also agree that it 'may' be overpowered and may require nerfing.

The reality was, using Dig In to obtain that benefit was a compromising sacrifice - it wasn't something you wanted, or could, use as frequently as people imagine.

That doesn't detract from the need for both Barbies and Pallies to have their capabilities increased though, as that should be a given - there just wasn't/isn't really a need to 'take down' a fellow tank as the process.
    First off, not calling for any nerfs. Just pointing out that with Shield of Faith, Absolution and Divine Palisade paladin receives 35% less damage, with Unyielding Champion, total with out the Awareness buff to Divine Protector. On top of that the shield absorbs 75% of the paladin's HP, an increase. Not to forget I would share 50% of my heals recieved during the Shield.

Now I admit that is 1 encounter, 1 daily and tab/shield mech but is still close to the addition of awareness buff on the other.
    edited January 2021
    I have a question regarding agro, does a tanks out going heals count toward agro generated?
    Also, if so does the increased agro generation of tanks affect the healing agro?
    karvare said:

First off, not calling for any nerfs. Just pointing out that with Shield of Faith, Absolution and Divine Palisade paladin receives 35% less damage, with Unyielding Champion, total with out the Awareness buff to Divine Protector. On top of that the shield absorbs 75% of the paladin's HP, an increase. Not to forget I would share 50% of my heals recieved during the Shield.

Now I admit that is 1 encounter, 1 daily and tab/shield mech but is still close to the addition of awareness buff on the other.

The major challenge for Paladins with this is that using Divine Palisade with Unyielding Champion uses Divinity as well as Stamina, so the Paladin is then forced to choose whether to potentially drain their Divinity and potentially experience issues trying to generate/maintain/regain Threat/Aggro (as Threat and Hard Taunts are mostly tied to Divinity), or not use it at all/for as long.

While there are other benefits derived from using the Divine Palisade + Unyielding Champion mechanic, it's still hard to determine which would be more useful - the Fighter's Dig In which only relies upon Stamina for 60% reduction, or Divine Palisade + Unyielding Champion relying upon both Stamina and Divinity for 75% - each is pretty unique, different and kind of capable in their own way.

edited January 2021

karvare said:

The major challenge for Paladins with this is that using Divine Palisade with Unyielding Champion uses Divinity as well as Stamina, so the Paladin is then forced to choose whether to potentially drain their Divinity and potentially experience issues trying to generate/maintain/regain Threat/Aggro (as Threat and Hard Taunts are mostly tied to Divinity), or not use it at all/for as long.

While there are other benefits derived from using the Divine Palisade + Unyielding Champion mechanic, it's still hard to determine which would be more useful - the Fighter's Dig In which only relies upon Stamina for 60% reduction, or Divine Palisade + Unyielding Champion relying upon both Stamina and Divinity for 75% - each is pretty unique, different and kind of capable in their own way.

Yeah, in testing not using any smites it takes a little over 60secs to fully charge divinity.
    Even with around 50% divinity that would still give you the 10% reduction in damage as well as your 75% HP from the block. Should allow a smite or so for agro in that minute.

Mostly this has been my theoretical out look for how I would try to work around the current mechanics.
    I see the added damage from nearest ally or a 180 sec cool down as not too much better options.
    karvare said:

karvare said:

Yeah, in testing not using any smites it takes a little over 60secs to fully charge divinity.
    Even with around 50% divinity that would still give you the 10% reduction in damage as well as your 75% HP from the block. Should allow a smite or so for agro in that minute.
    karvare said:

A Smite only every once per minute? That's got to be difficult to manage :( I find i use Smite far more frequently than once per minute on Live!

Well, I also use VoE as a back up, but yeah still not a lot to rely on for agro intense moments.
    That 180 sec cool down just has me a bit off put. Or redirected damage at a bad moment. 8(
    karvare said:

I have a question regarding agro, does a tanks out going heals count toward agro generated?
    Also, if so does the increased agro generation of tanks affect the healing agro?

AFAIK, the answer is "Yes" to both.
  • sekosek#5740 sekosek Member Posts: 120 Arc User

Powers that fully negated Combat Advantage made sense balance wise when that was mainly a concern outside of boss fights.

With Combat Advantage being on for bosses it changes the balance.

My current plan to roll out with the next build is that:

Dig In adds 15% awareness
    Sharpened Senses adds 30% awareness to Bladed Rampart

Primal Instinct adds 30% awareness

Divine Protector now adds 30% awareness

That should give all tanks options and also not have a situation where any tank can essentially ignore awareness by having powers that max it out.

This is still not balanced. Why Fighters still getting an extra 15% awareness for free? To make it equal between all tanks, either remove that 15% from Fighters, or add 15% to other tanks aswell. Stats could be different to make it unique, for example Barb tank can get 15% deflect sev, and Paladin can get 15% crit avo, something like that.

On top of that, Barb tank tab power Unstoppable still absorbs less than other tanks. Fighter has 40% with shift and 60% with Dig in, but Barb tank has 40% with shift and 50% with Unstoppable(same as live). Unstoppable already is a bad tab mechanic for a tank, and it still stays useless. Unstoppable should be 60% aswell.
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited January 2021

The saddest thing i've seen in this thread so far, is not anything to do with the changes, but how all players of tanks seem to be focussing upon insisting that the 'other tank(s)' get nerfed, rather than just focussing on what their class requires to become effective.

To me, providing suggestions on how to improve the general system while not encouraging targeted nerfing is generally a far better approach.

The last thing you really want me to start doing is the same thing i've seen so far - targeting everyone else and insisting on nerfs.

Okay so you agree that sentinels and justicars need an extra 15% awareness on their tab mechanic like fighter? Lol. I play a sentinel, as does Malistaire, and we just want to be AS GOOD AS the easy tank =P. Based on Malistaire's tests on the previous page, Sentinels don't even have 60% like fighter does. We would need a 10% buff and 15% awareness just to be equal to fighter. I don't care if they nerf fighter or buff sentinel/justicar, I just want the tanks to all be equally good. Right now sentinel has been a running joke on live server since mod 16 first dropped. It has the worst aggro, worst survivability, and worst group support based on their encounters/dailies/mechanics lol.
    Sentinels should already be getting the 15% awareness buff (or thereabouts) passively from Forte...so do you think it is fair that Vanguards actually need to *do* something (Dig In) to equal the awareness bonus that Sentinels get for free? People are talking about the "free" awareness that Vanguards get, but they ignore the "free" awareness Sentinels get....
  • jman3l#5579 jman3l Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    rubytrue said:

Sentinels should already be getting the 15% awareness buff (or thereabouts) passively from Forte...so do you think it is fair that Vanguards actually need to *do* something (Dig In) to equal the awareness bonus that Sentinels get for free?
    Fighters get some other forte buff than Sentinels do not (deflect sev?). Okay, so give Sentinel 15% deflect sev in rage then. Deal?
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User

rubytrue said:

Sentinels should already be getting the 15% awareness buff (or thereabouts) passively from Forte...so do you think it is fair that Vanguards actually need to *do* something (Dig In) to equal the awareness bonus that Sentinels get for free?
    Fighters get some other forte buff than Sentinels do not (deflect sev?). Okay, so give Sentinel 15% deflect sev in rage then. Deal?
    We originally had awareness as our secondary Forte buff. I want that back. You can have whatever you want; I'm like Oprah here.
  • silente07#2597 silente07 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Since we are just throwing things out there, can the Fighters get rid of Seethe, the absolute worst mechanic. Useless. How about interesting combat animations that don’t lock up.
    Again, i think it's important we attempt to consider this entire situation from the context of what each class needs in order to be able to do their job in a reasonably effective manner, and not necessarily as a competitive comparison between what one class may or may not have against another.

As it is, which tank classes get which Forte Ratings isn't really going to make that much of a difference when we really and actually consider what we, as tanks, actually need for us to do our jobs.

This is why i proposed those changes to HP derived from TIL, Stamina regeneration increases, changes to HP from other sources to a % value, and changes to Deflect Severity and Critical Severity so they are a static value and not a Rating.

Does anyone here believe that if those listed changes weren't implemented that we wouldn't we able to then reasonably do our jobs - irrespective of whether one class have which Forte stat?
  • gweddeoran#4924 gweddeoran Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    What I'm worried about most is that we haven't had any Dev talk about these problems yet- the reduced HP and nerf to Defense (it is now worse than on Live) have made Tanks overall less tanky while the connection with TIL to HP has made DPS get more HP than before. This reduces the gap between Tanks and DPS, which makes no sense since Tanks take damage for the whole party. Currently the changes are a bit too DPS oriented and that needs to be looked at considering this all going to Live in a matter of a few weeks or so (based on the fact that this is supposed to be out a bit earlier than Mod 20).
    edited January 2021

This reduces the gap between Tanks and DPS, which makes no sense since Tanks take damage for the whole party.

Tanks are A LOT tankier than DPS. The 25% defense that is given by Forte is already a gamechanger. Futhermore tanks have a shield (at least another 40% additional HP, up to 75% for paladins) AND a Daily that provides at least 30% Awareness. DPS are nowhere close of replacing a tank in a master trial.

I would even say the gap is bigger with the changes. Forte makes it impossible to cap Defense as a DPS.
    hastati96 said:

I would even say the gap is bigger with the changes. Forte makes it impossible to cap Defense as a DPS.

That's not true. I've seen friends testing their DPS characters who have managed to cap Defense with ease, with very slight sacrifice to their offensive stats. They do have serious difficulty capping Awareness, but then so do Tanks.

If a Tank was able to utilise a perpetual 40% 'bonus' to survivability derived from their Shift/Tab mechanic, then i'd be more inclined to agree with you, but that's not the case.

It's becoming increasingly more frustrating seeing people refer to temporary features as if those temporary features were actually providing a static benefit - i.e. your reference to the use of a Daily.

While these temporary features do assist in increasing survivability for a tank, they are, without any doubt, a far cry from providing the base survivability reasonably necessary for tanks to do their jobs.

Or, are you attempting to maintain that you experience no difficulty with survivability while trying to tank Trials?
    edited January 2021

hastati96 said:

That's not true. I've seen friends testing their DPS characters who have managed to cap Defense with ease, with very slight sacrifice to their offensive stats. They do have serious difficulty capping Awareness, but then so do Tanks.
    I would rather ask why would you want to have 90% Defense as a DPS in master trials? No offense but those people do not clear Zariel with such builds.

The initial question was: Can a DPS replace a tank? And the answer is simple - No, a DPS can't replace a tank in TOMM / Zariel. You are forced to have 2 tanks.

Or, are you attempting to maintain that you experience no difficulty with survivability while trying to tank Trials?

I have never said this. If you would check this thread you would notice that I said more than once that I think Zariel / Halaster still hits a bit too hard.

Tank's survivability is more than fine currently on preview, same with DPS. The trials only have to be tuned down a bit further imo.
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User

This is still not balanced. Why Fighters still getting an extra 15% awareness for free? To make it equal between all tanks, either remove that 15% from Fighters, or add 15% to other tanks aswell. Stats could be different to make it unique, for example Barb tank can get 15% deflect sev, and Paladin can get 15% crit avo, something like that.

On top of that, Barb tank tab power Unstoppable still absorbs less than other tanks. Fighter has 40% with shift and 60% with Dig in, but Barb tank has 40% with shift and 50% with Unstoppable(same as live). Unstoppable already is a bad tab mechanic for a tank, and it still stays useless. Unstoppable should be 60% aswell.

True. Let's make fighters even more useless. They're useless as dps, with vorpal nerf, they will be even more useless. Let's make barbarian top dps clas - well, it already is; top tank class too and let's even boost bilethorn. All for barbarians. Go, play "balanced" tank fighter with "perfectly" balanced seethe mechanic or as dps fighter, specially after vorpal nerf. BTW, can fighter get some love ? Everybody complaining, but no fighters. Obivously we gave up hope few mods ago.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    hastati96 said:

I have never said this. If you would check this thread you would notice that I said more than once that I think Zariel / Halaster still hits a bit too hard.

Tank's survivability is more than fine currently on preview, same with DPS. The trials only have to be tuned down a bit further imo.

100%.

Even a quick try and it's clear that it's not tanking issue. Without significant mitigation (knives, griffons, etc.) DPS is more likely to go down like flies, or can't clear the ice. While tanks are more likely to be the last standing.

I agree that the damage multiplayer there should be adjusted, but to be fair, also adjusting chars properly takes / will take time.
    Post edited by micky1p00 on

True. Let's make fighters even more useless. They're useless as dps, with vorpal nerf, they will be even more useless. Let's make barbarian top dps clas - well, it already is; top tank class too and let's even boost bilethorn. All for barbarians. Go, play "balanced" tank fighter with "perfectly" balanced seethe mechanic or as dps fighter, specially after vorpal nerf. BTW, can fighter get some love ? Everybody complaining, but no fighters. Obivously we gave up hope few mods ago.
    He is talking about the tank paragons xD nobody wants fighter to be useless, we want the tanks to be relatively even but have diverse play styles. Fighter having a random extra 15% awareness is a bit crazy. I think maybe barb could get like deflect sev when in rage or something. Can balance this but make it diverse. Fighter is arguably the best tank on live, and easily the best tank on preview right now. I'd say you don't have to worry lol. As for Dreadnought, I'd imagine some small buffs will come at some point.
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited January 2021

He is talking about the tank paragons xD nobody wants fighter to be useless, we want the tanks to be relatively even but have diverse play styles. Fighter having a random extra 15% awareness is a bit crazy. I think maybe barb could get like deflect sev when in rage or something. Can balance this but make it diverse. Fighter is arguably the best tank on live, and easily the best tank on preview right now. I'd say you don't have to worry lol. As for Dreadnought, I'd imagine some small buffs will come at some point.

Dude, I want my dps loadout fighter to be as strong as barbarian but it's just worthless dps class. BTW don't imagine please. Not small buffs, wizard needs small buffs, fighter needs huge buffs. Anyway who use a shield should have some advantage as a tank over that one who doesn't use one.

Dude, I want my dps loadout fighter to be as strong as barbarian but it's just worthless dps class. BTW don't imagine please. Not small buffs, wizard needs small buffs, fighter needs huge buffs. Anyway who use a shield should have some advantage as a tank over that one who doesn't use one.
    I'm sure sentinel players (myself included) would love to be perpetually the worst tank. That is terrible game design and a little ridiculous lol.
  • sephiz#1200 sephiz Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Might as well point out some facts about OP

Testing OP => 149,818 HP
    149,818*0.4 = 59,927.2
    149,818*0.5 = 74,909
    149,818*0.6 = 89,890.8
    149,818*.75 = 112,363.5

Block => 40%
    [21:09][Combat (Self)]Your Block absorbs 59928 damage from Halaster's Arcane Blast

Divine Champion (Unfeated) => 50%
    [21:15][Combat (Self)]Your Divine Champion absorbs 74909 damage from Halaster's Arcane Blast

Divine Palisade (Unfeated) => 40%
    [21:17][Combat (Self)]Your Divine Palisade absorbs 59928 damage from Halaster's Arcane Blast

Divine Champion (Feated) => 75%
    [21:19][Combat (Self)]Your Divine Champion absorbs 112364 damage from Halaster's Arcane Blast

Divine Palisade (Feated) => 60%
    [21:20][Combat (Self)]Your Divine Palisade absorbs 89891 damage from Halaster's Arcane Blast

Considering I reported this week 1 or 2 of when this hit preview not sure why some are acting like we get 75% with palisade. It's had been bugged since the rework hit preview. Having a tab + shift for 40% is laughable. I will take dig-in any day of the week.

Also the 30% awareness on dailies is extremely useless as things stands that 12s window of +30% awareness does nothing. The uptime is low and you have to strategically use it. What will kill you or drain all you resources and put your powers on CD will most likely happen outside of those 12s.

Edit: Editing a post apparently deletes it gg.