test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Problems running Neverwinter through Lutris' standalone launcher

imix#8569 imix Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Hello. I want to launch Neverwinter using Lutris without running Steam. I've had some success running Neverwinter through PlayOnLinux, but I prefer the new Lutris UI and would rather not have to deal with steam accounts and DRM (even though Neverwinter itself probably has its own DRM).

Has anyone had any luck with the standalone launcher? I got the Arc launcher (note: not the Neverwinter launcher) to boot but whenever I click the install button for neverwinter it crashes. I assume it has something to do with the Arc launcher not having permission to modify the `drive_c` directory but I'm not sure. If someone's gotten the standalone launcher to work what steps did you take?

Comments

• hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    imix#8569 said:

Hello. I want to launch Neverwinter using Lutris without running Steam. I've had some success running Neverwinter through PlayOnLinux, but I prefer the new Lutris UI and would rather not have to deal with steam accounts and DRM (even though Neverwinter itself probably has its own DRM).

Has anyone had any luck with the standalone launcher? I got the Arc launcher (note: not the Neverwinter launcher) to boot but whenever I click the install button for neverwinter it crashes. I assume it has something to do with the Arc launcher not having permission to modify the `drive_c` directory but I'm not sure. If someone's gotten the standalone launcher to work what steps did you take?

The difference between PlayOnLinux and Lutris is negligible, they are both scripted front-ends for WINE. There is no need for ARC or Steam Launchers. As for DRM (digital rights media) I am not sure what you mean there?

To start up Neverwinter, I place the script below into /usr/local/games and make sure the $PATH environment shows it using;

$ echo $PATH

#!/bin/bash

run_game ()
    {
    #This is the path to my game launcher, you need to find where yours is located.

cd '/media/MY_USER_ID/Drive D/Cryptic Studios/'
    wine Neverwinter.exe
    }
    #This checks to make certain I don't have the game client up and running.

if [[ $(ps -ef | grep GameClient | grep -v grep | wc -l) != 0 ]]; then
    zenity --question --text "Neverwinter Running, are you sure?"
    if [[ $? = 0 ]]; then
    run_game
    fi
    else
    run_game
    fi

I save this file as Neverwinter and make the properties as executable by anyone. Then I can make a desktop shortcut to this script.
    ------------ Simplest Method ------------
    All of that aside the simplest and best thing to do;

I will assume you have Wine installed properly.

1. Open Filemanager and navigate to your Neverwinter.exe
    2. Right click the file Neverwinter.exe
    3. Open with...
    4. check "Set as default"
    5. Select your Wine 5.0

Now you should be able to make a link to the Neverwinter executable on your desktop, click to run it.

I have nothing against the front-ends, even the commercial version Crossover is another front-end. You are actually paying for their user support. I haven't checked into Lutris lately but a few years ago it was sort of clunky user interface. Sorry I cannot help you more with your front-end, but fortunately Lutris has a support forum here.
  • imix#8569 imix Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Alright, thanks. Not sure what you mean by Crossover since I'm using Lutris, but that's fine.
    In fact, running a script might be more useful towards me since I am using a tiling window manager and could launch it with a keybind.
    However, I will also make sure to ask on the Lutris forums.
  • hooligan1006#8757 hooligan1006 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    All day crashes...Every 4-5 min-crash! Help,pls!
  • echolife25echolife25 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    yes ! same here...i start to play Neverwinter 1 week ago, the game working perfect ( Laptop ) and today start`it to get crash, server no responding, i did the solution with Force verify but still no working, why owners no search any solution to fix this ? because i saw..i`m not alone..we are alot of pple with this problem !