test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Preview Patch Notes: NW.123.20201217e.2

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
Known Issues
  • Companion enhancement "Counteract" only increases companions deflect and not companion's critical avoidance
  • Vorpal Weapon Enchantment Damage bonuses incorrectly deals 0 damage.
  • Bel’s Relics have not yet been updated to the new system.

Fixes and Adjustments

Character
  • Power and Defense caps now properly display on the Character sheet.
  • Fixed an issue where Critical healing was not receiving its full benefits
Classes

• Wizard: Fireball – Cooldown reduced to 18 seconds. Spell Mastery benefit makes the power single target with 750 magnitude.
  • Wizard: Icy Rays – Cooldown reduced to 18 seconds
  • Wizard: Smoldering Recovery Feat – Action Point gain increased to 0.5%, up from 0.25%
Companion
  • Companions now properly deal Combat Advantage damage.
  • Fixed an issue where Companions that were supposed to receive Critical Avoidance were getting Deflect instead.
  • Grung: Fixed Poisonous Skin and Mesmerizing Chirr now function correctly and do the proper damage
  • Vallenhas Elite Soldier: “For Vallenhas!” power now properly states it does bonus damage to Avernus devils
  • Book Imp: Adjusted stats so it has more Combat Advantage instead of Control Resist
Enemies
  • Lair of the Mad Mage: Reduced the HP of boulders in the Bore Worm fight.
  • Reduced damage on Halaster and Zariel in their respective trials
  • Infernal Citadel: Reduced the damage from the crowd attacks on the Hellfire Engine.
Items
  • Weapon Enchantments should now deal their expected damage, with the exception of Vorpal
  • Adjusted damage on Soulforged Armor enchantment
  • Adjusted bonus from Founder enchantment values to be in line with other enchantments
  • Goristro’s Horns now properly apply to the other contributions in the Character sheet
  • Awakened Forger’s Box: Changed the Ratings increases to percentages and adjusted item level
Races
  • Aasimar: Fixed the text on Aasimar race bonus to say 2% instead of 1%

Comments

• dracory1#6808 dracory1 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Zariel still hits way, wayyy too hard. Even harder right now. I have done my tests, 1.3 million no damage reduction 47% defense, over 1 million with damage reduction and defense as in my post on last preview patch notes topic

Hawk and Mercenary companions' powers reduce all ratings instead of increasing.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    Can you please adjust zariel and halaster aoe unavoidable damage based on dps and healers Defence? (50%)
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User

Can you please adjust zariel and halaster aoe unavoidable damage based on dps and healers Defence? (50%)

Or, DPS and Healers can invest more in defensive stats...(it's that "choice" thing)
    edited December 2020

CLERIC with 50% defence survived the hit after the following

: 1:phalanx
    2: hallowed ground
    3:defender banner
    4:griffon
    5:swarm
    6:wyvern
    7 he deflected.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Has anyone complaining about trial damage tried adding awareness instead of just defense?
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    nabu#4746 said:

The Thaum changes are very lackluster, the biggest issue with the paragon is the obnoxiously long 12 second icd on directed flames. Removing that internal cooldown would be the easiest way to make Thaum relevant again

My biggest gripe with Thaumaturge is the cooldown on Icy Terrain. It's interminable.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
    arazith07 said:

Has anyone complaining about trial damage tried adding awareness instead of just defense?

Pretty much this. Looking at that ACT log, it doesn't seem like the damage is out of line (especially) when you see that the flank value was "True." That, in and of itself, is a 1.9x damage multiplier.

You're going to have to decide how you want to manage/balance your damage output with your survivability. Cleric with 50% defense is only mitigating 25% damage.
  • jman3l#5579 jman3l Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    nabu#4746 said:

The Thaum changes are very lackluster, the biggest issue with the paragon is the obnoxiously long 12 second icd on directed flames. Removing that internal cooldown would be the easiest way to make Thaum relevant again

They also just need higher magnitudes. I don't know why they are afraid to give 20%+ magnitude buffs. Thauma is probably 40% or more behind the top dps paragons.
  • carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    rubytrue said:

arazith07 said:

Pretty much this. Looking at that ACT log, it doesn't seem like the damage is out of line (especially) when you see that the flank value was "True." That, in and of itself, is a 1.9x damage multiplier.

You're going to have to decide how you want to manage/balance your damage output with your survivability. Cleric with 50% defense is only mitigating 25% damage.
    50% defense is 33% mitigation, not 25%.

That said, Awareness seems to be slightly more effective than Defense, so maybe "swapping" them on DPS builds (so that awareness is closer to 50% and defense is on the low side) is a good idea.

rubytrue said:

arazith07 said:

That said, Awareness seems to be slightly more effective than Defense, so maybe "swapping" them on DPS builds (so that awareness is closer to 50% and defense is on the low side) is a good idea.
    check the poeple on preview i havent see yet a dps build focusing on defensive stats.
  • jman3l#5579 jman3l Member Posts: 302 Arc User

rubytrue said:

arazith07 said:

As Mamalion mentioned, no dps are focusing on defensive stats at all. I slot 4 tacticals in the 4 defense slots we have, because most healers will run runic aura to help the party (including tank) with defense capping. Most tanks would not want to slot more than 80% or so, because astral shield and one other mitigation power and you are already capped on dr. I agree its better to focus on awareness now where its necessary.
  • noone330noone330 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    curious why you guys seem so adamant about not fixing wizards?

i mean, honestly, at the risk of sounding rude, i don't mean to, but WTF are even those "balances"? thaum is completely irrelevant, can we at least fix our lack of effective aoe relative to other classes? magnitudes? cooldowns? if anything, i'd boost the class overall, thaum is a lost cause, arcanist is pretty solid, but could use some magntidude/cooldown/aoe updates

i'm scared you guys see your "metrics" and think the class is fine, it's not TERRIBLE, but compared to the other classes, painfully obvious it's pretty behind, this is warlock all over again, you guys kept saying the class was fine and this and that, so stubborn to fix and imrpove the cooldowns/magnitudes, yet lo and behold you ended up boosting that class to top tier

sigh
  • tempus86#1158 tempus86 Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    While the small CD reductions and the change to Fireball are a step in the right direction, and welcome changes, they dont really address the core problem with the Thaumaturge spec and that is Smoulder is terrible.
    So much is tied to it that simply changing smoulder will have a wide effect.

Rework Smoulder to deal 200 over 8 seconds (50 every 2 seconds), instead of 80 over 12 seconds( 20 every 3 seconds) and see how things stand after that.

In addition I think Icy Terrain should do 80 Magnitude instantly, and an addition 270 magnitude over the next 9 seconds which would benefit both specs since Arcanist is clearly lacking in AoE

Rework Fanning the Flames, to deal, 400 magnitude over 8 seconds, and all targets within 15' take double smoulder damage for the duration.

Chilling Advantage - chill grants combat advantage to the target for 4 seconds ( player only )

Conduit of Ice - increases damage taken by the primary target by 10% for the duration
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

rubytrue said:

arazith07 said:

As Mamalion mentioned, no dps are focusing on defensive stats at all. I slot 4 tacticals in the 4 defense slots we have, because most healers will run runic aura to help the party (including tank) with defense capping. Most tanks would not want to slot more than 80% or so, because astral shield and one other mitigation power and you are already capped on dr. I agree its better to focus on awareness now where its necessary.
    On live, there are defensive stats you need to hit so you can survive in ToMM and Zariel, it would make sense that there would be minimums with the new system as well. We just have to find out what those are.

rubytrue said:

arazith07 said:

I really wish @noworries#8859 would clarify what goes into the damage mitigation formula before defense is considered; he mentioned in another thread that there were some mitigations happening and that lead to the appearance of potential defense over the 90% cap.

One of the things I liked about the initial rollout was that we knew 90% was a hard cap that was respected by all types of mitigation from gear, companions, effects, etc. That meant, that as a tank, I knew I could work backwards given the damage reductions effects I had and then choose whether I wanted to bolster other defensive stats or put more stats towards offense to help with aggro management.

The more forms of mitigation that I can use, the less I have to put into defense as a tank and the more I can put into other stats.
  • rysiek86rysiek86 Member Posts: 145 Arc User

While the small CD reductions and the change to Fireball are a step in the right direction, and welcome changes, they dont really address the core problem with the Thaumaturge spec and that is Smoulder is terrible.
    So much is tied to it that simply changing smoulder will have a wide effect.

Rework Smoulder to deal 200 over 8 seconds (50 every 2 seconds), instead of 80 over 12 seconds( 20 every 3 seconds) and see how things stand after that.

In addition I think Icy Terrain should do 80 Magnitude instantly, and an addition 270 magnitude over the next 9 seconds which would benefit both specs since Arcanist is clearly lacking in AoE

Rework Fanning the Flames, to deal, 400 magnitude over 8 seconds, and all targets within 15' take double smoulder damage for the duration.

Chilling Advantage - chill grants combat advantage to the target for 4 seconds ( player only )

Conduit of Ice - increases damage taken by the primary target by 10% for the duration

If they would listen to at least one of those ideas... :anguished:
    Would be also nice if Ray of Enfeeblement work for 10 seconds as its written in tooltip instead of 6.... on live and preview :anguished:
    Wizard is one walking mess and it seems it wont change ... unless the whole class will get a serious rework... because every 'patch attached to this dress' seems like it's taken away from other spot and keeps the holes on it... still.
    oh oh oh ... another thing... is there any other class that cant keep the Goristro's Crit chance buff up ??? :D Because wizards cant :D (could it be the indicator how bad our dmg is?)
  • xander#0631 xander Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    i don't understand:
    as a paladin tank, when i use absolution or sigil of the paladin, the % that those give to damage resistance should or should not appear in the % of defense? do they count toward the 90% cap ? at the moment it doesn't seems so
    reality is what most recognize as true
  • justtester#3228 justtester Member Posts: 73 Arc User

i don't understand:
    as a paladin tank, when i use absolution or sigil of the paladin, the % that those give to damage resistance should or should not appear in the % of defense? do they count toward the 90% cap ? at the moment it doesn't seems so

I cannot find that comment right now but someone did some testing previously and found:
    1. These damage mitigations works as additional multipliers (so, Absolution gives you *20% multiplier, not +20% to Defense).
    2. You still cannot reduce your incoming damage (with all defense, paladin sigil's, encounters and other multipliers) to more than 90%.
    This forum is an echo chamber
  • roubi2roubi2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    as long you change in class as i see like wizzrd why you dont think to change in others all class they got nice change after mod 16 but tanks no they stay like what they are with 0 changes ... i will try to ask for the last time pls change the feet on fighter the sacend one up and down they are super uesles no one ues them pls pls change then give us samething to ues not to only full up cos we have to ... and also ITF this skill its really nice and you kill it by move it to dps build and guss what no one even think to ues it i dont got it for what just move it to tank build .. as i see with all this changes we need same kind of buff for the team its not anymore like mod 16 as long you change combat then you must change class
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited December 2020

i don't understand:

I cannot find that comment right now but someone did some testing previously and found:
    1. These damage mitigations works as additional multipliers (so, Absolution gives you *20% multiplier, not +20% to Defense).
    2. You still cannot reduce your incoming damage (with all defense, paladin sigil's, encounters and other multipliers) to more than 90%.
    I am still sceptical about the whole migation calculation. It is possible to reduce incoming damage by over 90%. A fresh screenshot from today in Halaster on preview. See "Effectiveness".

Maybe some dev can clarify what exceeds the 90% damage reduction?

Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • brewaldbrewald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 212 Arc User
    @hastati96
    Simply by dodge
    Brewald - GWF 18.3k
    Eleonore - CW Mof Renegade 17.5k
    Harlgard le Vieux - OP Prot 18.3k
    Valrik - DC AC 18.2k
    Furiela - SW Temp 18.1k
    hastati96 said:

i don't understand:

I am still sceptical about the whole migation calculation. It is possible to reduce incoming damage by over 90%. A fresh screenshot from today in Halaster on preview. See "Effectiveness".

Maybe some dev can clarify what exceeds the 90% damage reduction?

It looks like both crit avoid and awareness helped to mitigate the damage a bit since the damage was registered as both Crit/True and Flank/True. Mitigating those damage multipliers would (could?) take the damage reduction over 90% potentially, I would think.