test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Preview Patch Notes: NW.123.20201218a.1

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
Greetings all,

Thank you for playing Neverwinter Preview and for your continued feedback through the Combat Rework! Contained within are the patch notes for
NW.123.20201218a.1.

You better watch your back! In this patch, Combat Advantage has now returned to the monsters of Neverwinter. And with the Defense adjustment… I challenge you to topple the Mad Mage Halaster, and the Redeemed Angel Zariel in this new world order.

This build contains even more bugfixes for Companions, as well as a UI revamp on the Companion Interfaces. Thank you for showing us your videos/logs of the companion damage that you were able to achieve!

We have reduced the damage dealt by companions and continue to welcome any feedback/reports about companions doing too much or too little damage relative to the change.

This patch also contains adjustments to Weapon and Armor Enchantments.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/categories/neverwinterpreview-announcements-release-notes

Known Issues
  • Weapon and Armor Enchantments have been adjusted, and there is a range of issues during this iteration.
    • Here are some types of issues for the Weapon/Armor Enchantments:
    • There are tooltip errors for a few enchantments.
    • Example: Soulforged, Rank 14 states that it does 213% damage.
    • Weapon Enchantments Damage bonuses incorrectly deal 1 or 0 damage.
    • Briartwine Enchantment does not deflect damage.
    • Dread Enchantment does not increase player damage.
    • Frost Enchantment does not increase player damage.
    • Shadowclad Enchantment increases do not display on the character sheet.
    • Daily activation does not increase Combat Advantage on the Vorpal Enchantments.
  • A few older items may have incorrect Ratings.
  • Armor Penetration and Companion Influence references are still being scrubbed by Goblins… and some Trolls.
  • Bel’s Relics have not yet been updated to the new system.
  • Certain Gems, Runestones, Insignias cannot be donated to stronghold coffer.
  • Certain Companions and Companion Powers do not function in one or multiple categories:
    • Certain powers do not function, per the tooltip.
    • Certain Active Bonuses do not function or states an incorrect tooltip.
    • Certain Enhancements do not function or states an incorrect tooltip.
  • Divine Protection Power contains a typo and does not modify Critical Avoidance total.
  • Glorious Founder’s Enchantment grants incorrect number of Stats.
  • Miscellaneous text and formatting errors for tooltips.
  • Some characters do not get automatically respecced when loading in or when switching loadouts.
    • If you ever deal 0 damage, or notice that your damage is consistently 0, a character respec will fix your character
  • Race Appearance presets appear as white boxes.
  • Several zones or critters in the zone may still be difficult for players to complete.

General Updates
Fixes and Adjustments
Character
  • The way Defense and Deflect Severity works has been adjusted.
Companions
  • The following Augment Companions should now grant the correct Rating Bonus:
    • Bear Cub
    • Boar Shoat
    • Chicken
    • Black Dragon Ioun Stone
    • Black Ice Ioun Stone
    • Goat
    • Icosahedron Ioun Stone
    • Ioun Stone of Allure
    • Ioun Stone of Might
    • Ioun Stone of Radiance
    • Owlbear Cub
    • Polar Bear Cub
    • Quasit
    • Rat Pup
    • Red Dragon Ioun Stone
    • Star of Simril
    • Watler
  • The following Non-Augment Companions should now grant the correct Rating Bonus:
    • Boar
    • Celeste
    • Tiger
  • The following Companion Powers should now grant its Combined Ratings and scales when the companion increases in Quality.
    • Baby Polar Bear’s Instincts
    • Lillend’s Insight
    • Squire’s Discipline
    • Silverscale Cleric’s Wisdom
  • The following Companions have had other adjustments and fixes on their powers, and tooltips.
    • Acolyte of Kelemvore
    • Allosaur
    • Cave Bear
    • Gith
    • Hunting Hawk
    • Slyblade Kobold
  • The following Companion Bonuses should now grant Combined Ratings, and scale as the Companion Levels:
    • Sylph’s Insight
  • Companions with Known Issues:
    • The Flaming Skull’s Cryptic Insight does not function unless the player has a Laughing Skull Companion.
Items
  • The Blessed set bonus has been adjusted to the following:
    • When you use an encounter power, your weapons become Blessed, which increases your Power, Accuracy, and Combat Advantage by 3%, and grants you a random buff for 10 seconds.
      • Blessed Guidance – Increases your Critical Strike by 5%.
      • Blessed Might – Increases your Action Point gain speed by 7.5%.
  • Weapon and Armor Enchantments have been adjusted.
    • Weapon and Armor Enchantments have been increased in Item Level.
      • Item Level at Rank 14 is now 800.
      • The damage bonus of all Enchantments have been increased to maximum 8%.
      • Enchantments that deal damage have also been increased in Magnitude to better match to their Item Level increases.
    • Briartwine Enchantment now reflects up to 6% of the damage dealt to you back to your attacker and have a 10% chance when struck to root your attacker for 2 seconds. This can only occur once every 10 seconds.
    • Bronzewood Enchantment’s mark now causes targets to take up to 6% more damage from you and your allies.
    • Dread Enchantment now reduces the target’s Defense by up to 4%.
    • Eclipse Enchantment now increases the Deflect up to 8%.
    • Feytouched Enchantment now decreases target damage dealt by up to 2% and decreases the target’s Deflect by up to 2%.
    • Flaming Enchantment now decreases your target’s Deflect Severity by up to 4%.
    • Frost Enchantment now decreases the target’s damage dealt by up to 4%.
    • Frostburn Enchantment now decreases your attacker’s Critical Strike by up to 8%.
    • Holy Avenger Enchantment now has a chance to increase Defense up to 3% while healing for 60 magnitude.
    • Plague Fire now decreases your target’s Critical Avoidance by up to 1.5% per stack.
    • Lifedrinker Enchantment now has a 10% chance to heal you for up to 120 magnitude.
    • Terror Enchantment now decreases your foe’s Combat Advantage by -4% for 10 seconds. The chance to root has also been increased to 30%.
    • Shadowclad Enchantment now grants Deflection by up to 8% and Defense by up to 4% Defense per its effect stacks.
    • Soulforged Enchantment’s healing has been increased, and the damage adjusted.
    • Vorpal Enchantments now increases Critical Strike by up to 4%.
      • Secondary effect has been changed to increase Combat Advantage by 2% to Other Contributions after using a Daily.
Powers
  • Barbarian Sentinel’s Forte bonus has been corrected to grant Defense.
  • Guild Boon: Enhance Overload: Ward now correctly grants 1000 Item Level.
UI
General
  • References to companion rank and level have been removed.
  • Companion categories have been removed, as all companions now are in the same category. 
  • In all titles, the companion name (e.g. "Phase Spider" is shown in the pet quality color, and the player given name (e.g. "Spidey") is shown in white. Also there is a new quality-colored border for all name headings.)
  • Mount Bolster Total display has been adjusted.
    • Mount Item Level contribution is now shown at the bottom right of the Current Mount tab along with the Mount Bolster Total.
Summoned Companion
  • In Summoned Companion display, buttons to manage the summoned companion are moved to the window footer.
    • On PC there is a new "Summoned Option" button with shows a dropdown menu for dismissing, upgrading, and naming the summoned companion. If the companion is dismissed, this button changes to "re-summon'. 
  • Companion Powers now show their Item Level in their tooltips
  • Total Companion Bolster is shown where the summon another/dismiss buttons used to be, and the summoned companion's contribution to Total Item Level is shown as well.
    • The tooltip is also improved.
  • The ratings contributions are now shown in the same order as the players.
    • Incoming Healing now displays in the Companion Stat Panel.
Summon Picker
  • Added top display option for list/grid formatting.
  • Display options (favorite only, sort) are now available as a footer button.
  • Yellow "+" sign (to indicate 'ready for upgrade') has been removed because all companions are always ready for upgrade now.
  • If a companion is favorited, the favorite star shows up in the top left corner of its icon.
Companion Roster
  • Added top display option for list/grid formatting.
  • Upgrade button on right side moved to top left and label is iconified.
  • Companion bolster contribution is shown at bottom of right-hand pane.
  • The ratings contributions are now shown in the same order as the players.
    • Incoming Healing now displays in the Companion Stat Panel.
  • Yellow "+" sign (to indicate 'ready for upgrade') is removed because all pets are always ready for upgrade now
  • If a companion is favorited, the favorite star shows up in the top left corner of its icon.
Companion Inspect
  • Inspected pets no longer show their contribution to the player's ratings.
  • Companion bolster contribution is shown at the bottom of the left-hand pane.
Things to Come
  • Adjustments to Gear Bonuses.
  • More miscellaneous text fixes.

Comments

• supmadbrosupmadbro Member Posts: 28 Arc User

Seems Power has no cap anymore?
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    supmadbro said:

i hope is a bug enough with the power creep.
  • carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    supmadbro said:

It's a bug with Power and Defense, they currently are going over the 90% cap but noworries confirmed it was not intended and will be changed.

• xander#0631 xander Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    -on preview the antiquites scolar doesn't have anymore the tab to exchange weapon and armor enchantment

-IF you changed defense so that the stat will fall in line with other stat, then i think that each enchantment should give the same %bonus buff/defuff, and with the same activation; why some put a debuff/buff only with daily and other with every power? why the % and duration of the debuff/buff is not equal?
    obviously there will be better enchantment than other the way it is now

-vorpal wasn't used only by dps, but also by healer, it had stat useful for that rore; now healer benefit for only the %critical and nothing else.
    from what i see vorpal still remain the only enchantment that still has some use to heal, but we benefit from only one of the effect

to make different builds, al least a little, weapon and armor enchantment need to be balanced and not only from a dps point ov view, but also from buff/debuff
    reality is what most recognize as true
  • xander#0631 xander Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    bringing my paladin tank from live to previeew i lose 2 constitution and 300k hp,
    reality is what most recognize as true
  • gweddeoran#4924 gweddeoran Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    hastati96 said:

Thanks for the fast change of capping defense at 50%, really looking forward to test it :) At least the other defense stats have a meaning now.

I don't think that's what they did- rather, the cap is 90% but it functions like Power,so it's effectives does not mean enemies only get 10% dmg through to you but rather 1/1.9x dmg through to you aka 52%
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited December 2020

hastati96 said:

Thanks for the fast change of capping defense at 50%, really looking forward to test it :) At least the other defense stats have a meaning now.

I don't think that's what they did- rather, the cap is 90% but it functions like Power,so it's effectives does not mean enemies only get 10% dmg through to you but rather 1/1.9x dmg through to you aka 52%
    Yes, calculation should be as you said. It was written very vague by me lol

One of the proposals has been to simply change defense to a cap of 45%. This would mean that capping the rating would =25%, and there would be a total of 45% from all sources.

Post edited by hastati96 on
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • sagakaiyume#0847 sagakaiyume Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    ron#1747 said:

NoWorries: suggests a change on the forums

Most comments:are against this change

NoWorries: does it anyways

Well then why did you even ask about it in the first place?

The reason why is simple, to make it look like they wanted honest feedback, while knowing tanks aren't exactly the most played role, figured between dps community and pvp community they'd get overwhelming agreement from the thread. Instead they picked who sided with them and went with it anyways. Its nothing new.
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Is it intended to have Barkshield's last charge to be 256k HP?

Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • tardbathtardbath Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    So we will be able to exchange that vorpal right ?
  • rosh#3730 rosh Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Did you watch Aragon video he was testing barkshield on his Paladin and got Slaughtered in 2 hits by Halaster when his toon is already maxed out .. imagine dps with less HP and defensive stats and no damage mitigation mechanics getting hit that would be massacre

Merry Christmas Every One
  • rosh#3730 rosh Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    > @c1b0r7 said:
    > These changes are utterly POINTLESS.
    >
    > WHY did you decrease defense to cap at 50% damage reduction but kept the cap at 90% rating? Wasn't these "%" changes supposed to make the game easier to understand in a "1:1" ratio?
    > Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to reach the 90% defense cap? I'm a 53k Fighter, fully geared/enchanted and even moving EVERYTHING I had on offensive stats to defensive, I still barely managed to reach 90% defense, 81% crit avoidance. Not even gonna mention Awarness and deflection... It's literally IMPOSSIBLE to cap defensive stats.
    > And WHY provide ALL ENEMIES with Combat Advantage at ALL TIMES???? Do they have some special sixth sense? Why do we as players still need position but enemies don't? If you wanna make a completely USELESS stat as awarness useful, at least make it have some sense and not just throw it in like "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you all, they all have CA now". Why not remove this stat totally? You removed Armor Penetration for some dumb reason anyways...
    > With your new "improved changes" and "bug fixes", Halaster without stacks of Annihilation is hitting for 400k on basic attacks.
    >
    > Anyways, I HOPE that you change the way this game is heading, because you're just pushing useless stuff on players to make us spend even more money.

I kept saying you have melee dps and ranged dps and no body gets it so when AoE comes as fighter all you can do is raise your shield and die peacefully simple as that

I feel like I am wearing tutu unicorn right now essentially
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    ron#1747 said:

Earlier in the week I was tempted to point it out that his subsequent comments indicated he was dead-set on doing it anyway. It's not the first time, either. All I can say is that the **entire** leadership of my alliance is on indefinite hiatus from the game after reading his posts and participating in the dev stream. I can't post exactly what they say on Discord as it's NSFW but suffice to say that they've absolutely had it with being steamrolled.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • kyjle6akakyjle6aka Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Dear developers, since you have touched upon enchantment stones for weapons and armor, please allow us to exchange these enchantments for others of our choice. Since you have already added almost all the stones in exchange, it would be pretty good to exchange weapon / armor enchantments.
    I hope you understand, and take the necessary action to make us feel a little better in the game.
  • rhicle#5482 rhicle Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    At this point, you guys must give us an exchange for everything.
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

ron#1747 said:

There really weren't any arguments supported by facts against it. Just feeling and thoughts. Feedback was taken from those who suggested things with actual numbers and such. Tanks will still be required for endgame content, if you can prove that a dps can tank ToMM or Zariel with the changes on preview now, feel free to show it and continue doing so as damage gets adjusted.
    You see, that's just it. With the prior changes on preview, you needed a tank for group content that was below TOMM or Zariel. With this new update, we are back we were and tanks are irrelevant for any content below TOMM and Zariel.....`
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    Not sure how to change the post so that it highlights a bug, but it seems as though Shadowclad isn't working properly. I natively have around 58% deflect, and when I let mobs hit me, neither my deflect or damage resistance stats or percentages changed. Not sure what is happening, but I was consistently going into stealth suggesting that the shadowclad had reached 8 stacks. The probability that I would consistently reach eight stacks without any deflection when I would normally deflect 58% of the time would trend towards nil, especially since it was a repeated occurence.
  • carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    rubytrue said:

Not sure how to change the post so that it highlights a bug, but it seems as though Shadowclad isn't working properly. I natively have around 58% deflect, and when I let mobs hit me, neither my deflect or damage resistance stats or percentages changed. Not sure what is happening, but I was consistently going into stealth suggesting that the shadowclad had reached 8 stacks. The probability that I would consistently reach eight stacks without any deflection when I would normally deflect 58% of the time would trend towards nil, especially since it was a repeated occurence.

I'm not sure about Deflect, but damage resistance effects (including shadowclad) will not increase your defense % total because, just like on live, they are added after the defense cap, multiplicatively. The only thing that should increase the displayed % total for defense is the defense stat itself.

The mitigation formula appears to be the same as we have on live:

taken damage = base damage * damage_resist
    damage_resist = defense_mitigation * product of (1 - x) for all x in active extra mitigations

with the only change being that defense_mitigation is now [1/(1+Defense %)] instead of the current (1 - Defense %).

This basically results in "decrease damage taken by X%" effects being generally more powerful than increasing your Defense in X%, just like +X% damage effects are generally more powerful than increasing your power in X% on live. The previous behavior in preview made Defense way more powerful than many of these effects combined (for instance, increasing your defense from 80% to 90% would have the same effect as having 80% defense + 4 different 10% mitigations stacked together, so Defense was 4x times more effective than other mitigation effects in this case).

I believe they kept the 80% hard cap for damage_resist that already exists on live too, but I wasn't able to test that yet. It's quite hard to reach.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    rubytrue said:

arazith07 said:

ron#1747 said:

There really weren't any arguments supported by facts against it. Just feeling and thoughts. Feedback was taken from those who suggested things with actual numbers and such. Tanks will still be required for endgame content, if you can prove that a dps can tank ToMM or Zariel with the changes on preview now, feel free to show it and continue doing so as damage gets adjusted.
    You see, that's just it. With the prior changes on preview, you needed a tank for group content that was below TOMM or Zariel. With this new update, we are back we were and tanks are irrelevant for any content below TOMM and Zariel.....`
    Of course easier content may not need a tank if you have several people who are well geared. This is a natural occurrence in MMOs. It's an issue if tanks aren't needed in new content.