test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the point of companions

mrimsogoodmrimsogood Member Posts: 147 Arc User
DEVs, seriously what is the point in having comps in this game anymore.
Mod 16 completely changed everything, rending nearly all combat comps (Xuna and Chicken being the exceptions) completely obsolete and in the same process making augments (particularly the bulette pup) useful.
Now with Mod 20 even augs are virtually useless.

How I see it either 2 things have got to change.
1) Augments either give 100% of their stats + 20% of their bonus stats or raise their base stats higher. Combat comps either need a increase to their base damage, a increase to their attack rate (or give them at-wills) or go back to when they gave buffs/debuffs.
2) Completely remove them from the game and just up the stats on gear

Comments

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    I tend to agree strongly with the get rid of companions bit.

Lets all play solo and stop worrying about the companions - give us a fair trade in and get rid of them.
  • gothkid1972gothkid1972 Member Posts: 61 Arc User

I tend to agree strongly with the get rid of companions bit.

Lets all play solo and stop worrying about the companions - give us a fair trade in and get rid of them.

Unless Cryptic is willing to heavily reimburse me for all the money Ive put into companions on over 20 toons...then no...

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited December 2020

DEVs, seriously what is the point in having comps in this game anymore.
    Mod 16 completely changed everything, rending nearly all combat comps (Xuna and Chicken being the exceptions) completely obsolete and in the same process making augments (particularly the bulette pup) useful.
    Now with Mod 20 even augs are virtually useless.

How I see it either 2 things have got to change.
    1) Augments either give 100% of their stats + 20% of their bonus stats or raise their base stats higher. Combat comps either need a increase to their base damage, a increase to their attack rate (or give them at-wills) or go back to when they gave buffs/debuffs.
    2) Completely remove them from the game and just up the stats on gear

If you feel the companion is useless in mod 20, choose door #3, don't use it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • xenocide#6577 xenocide Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    I wouldn't say augment pets are useless.
    Let's wait until the changes go live, things are changing on preview ALOT.

Alot of bis DPS players are trying to maximize their glass cannon builds but we don't even know if they will be able to survive the bosses big attacks with these builds.

The average player might actually need the extra stats from the augments to bring their defense and awareness high enough that they are not going to get one shot during the boss fights.
  • leo#4323 leo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    hi all . just like to say they will just mess it all up, you know its coming .. TY
  • wickid#3619 wickid Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    i am an optimist, the game has evolved wonderfully. my compliments to the DEVs and highly to the artists of the game, great attention to detail. as an artist for more than 60 years of my life your work does not go un-noticed. thank you all for what you do.
    any dragon run is a good dragon run
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    For me, companions add a bit of side fun to the game. I love and I mean LOVE the swarm the chicken does. I also love the fact that splinters will sweep the dead bodies of your enemies XD The anamations are wonderful!

They can be situational, but are viable and can be fun. I've done tomm with bulette pup, quasit, splinters(broom), batiri, and a few others summoned(Yet to try the chicken tho). The stats are achievable for the content once you're toon is built up.

Once you figure out the mechanics and know when to burst in and attack and when not to burst in and attack you can use just about any companion, many different gear combos, and different stuff altogether. There might be different pets that you'll do better with than others but all CAN be used. It's gearing up to learn that pulls everyone toward the current meta simply because people won't take you in content if gear isn't ideal in most cases.
  • xtremozxtremoz Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    Companion miss he old skill/attacks that were removed in mod 16, like this atack lowers dmg done, that lower defense, this increases party crit... and so on rust monster used to lower defense, chult tiger use to make target take more dmg... and some others, now most ppl look at the lion for the 2% dmg stacks or maybe some healer that make like shield that absolves dmg.

Make like most companion have a buff/debuff skill... and low dmg on companion is irrelevant.

Right now companions only matter for the buff in status they give to player in the 5 slots we have.
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    @xtremoz there are still companions that lower critter DR. Look for “Vulnerability up” debuff.
    Elite Whaleboy