test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I think winter fishing is ugly and want the old system back

sol2286sol2286 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
The winter festival fishing system used to be better, more pleasant, and atmospheric. With the introduction of the fishing system from Chalt, it became disgusting, uncomfortable, unpleasant, ugly and not atmospheric. There is no peaceful and relaxed pastime, it causes rejection and unwillingness to use this content. Plus these ugly holes instead of cozy round holes - they are terrible. I have been avoiding fishing at the winter festival for the last 2 years because I am disgusted. The winter festival was good for relaxing the psyche after a hard year, and now it has become a continuation of work. I understand that you are so struggling with cheaters, but in this fight you have lost the spirit of the fistival. Bring back the old fishing system, or at least remove those disgusting big holes!
Tagged:

Comments

• penguin9#6367 penguin9 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    More atmospheric fishing to the gods of atmospheric fishing
  • motvei8motvei8 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    +
  • exelenticaexelentica Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    +
  • witherfullwitherfull Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    +
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    You realize, Cryptic is not real fond of admitting they made a mistake.
  • sayonara#1650 sayonara Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    +
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    SoMI fishing was always BS, yet they've more than doubled down on it. I doubt it's going away. But as you said, the previous winter fishing was much better.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    I am going to play Devil's Advocate here and be very honest.

To my understanding, I was informed that the old version was just like the fishing quest in Icewind Dale, Lonelywood beach quest. You will notice they never changed that quest to be like the Sea of Moving Ice? The reason behind the change for the Winter Festival fishing is plain and obvious. This was done to reduce bots and/or AFK fishing.

It is not that difficult to set a character near a hole and have a script pound the F key all day long. Weak monsters appear and you only need a substantial companion to kill them. The difference here is the Winter event allows you to collect some kind of currency to gain rewards. While the quest in Lonelywood is just a simple quest, no one cares about it.

While I have never attended the Winter event, I did try both fishing on the beach and from the boat in Sea of Moving Ice. The boat fishing is made to be a challenge for humans, while it could still be automated, it is no longer as simple as tying your house cat to the keyboard.

I am not stating that anyone here is cheating, but you can only blame those that do, for this new style of fishing. I seriously doubt you will get the old fishing back, but if you like it that much just for the atmosphere. Then you shouldn't mind the rewards being removed and placed somewhere else? You could fish all you want at the old fishing hole and enjoy it.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Due to changes in development schedule, the Winter Event mechanics have not been updated this year but we are looking at all feedback for future iterations.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User

To my understanding, I was informed that the old version was just like the fishing quest in Icewind Dale, Lonelywood beach quest. You will notice they never changed that quest to be like the Sea of Moving Ice? The reason behind the change for the Winter Festival fishing is plain and obvious. This was done to reduce bots and/or AFK fishing.

SOMI fishing was heavily botted as soon as it became obvious that the bottles were worth farming.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • burnahbros#7516 burnahbros Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    I completely disagree, well maybe not 100% but I think you are viewing the old fishing through rose colored glasses. Both systems are not relaxing at all. The old fishing system was worse imo because you would be constantly trolled and gameplay harassed by other players and this made fishing under the old system a total nightmare and not at all fun or relaxing.
    The new system has eliminated the trolling and the gameplay harassment of the old system but the fishing itself is more tedious because of having to constantly press and hold buttons. If only there was some middle ground between the 2 system where we could avoid trolls and gameplay harassment but yet not have to press so many buttons while trying to do some nice relaxing fishing. If I have to choose between the 2 systems of fishing I will take the new system 100% of the time over the old system.

Please do not bring back the old system of fishing it was the worst and made fishing no fun at all. I can't express enough how bad the old system was and how much it used to upset me and make me not want to play the game at all and most of all not fish at all.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Somi fishing was so "automated", I think the automation was already ready on preview before it went live. It was probably the exact level of repeatable boring, trivial to automate and combined with "easy revenue" that I guess it was the most automated thing in the game at the time.

May we never see such things ever again.

(thought the general premise of doing something besides stabbing was good, the implementation there was a huge miss)
  • burnahbros#7516 burnahbros Member Posts: 72 Arc User

It is not that difficult to set a character near a hole and have a script pound the F key all day long. Weak monsters appear and you only need a substantial companion to kill them. The difference here is the Winter event allows you to collect some kind of currency to gain rewards. While the quest in Lonelywood is just a simple quest, no one cares about it.

While I have never attended the Winter event, I did try both fishing on the beach and from the boat in Sea of Moving Ice. The boat fishing is made to be a challenge for humans, while it could still be automated, it is no longer as simple as tying your house cat to the keyboard.

I am not stating that anyone here is cheating, but you can only blame those that do, for this new style of fishing. I seriously doubt you will get the old fishing back, but if you like it that much just for the atmosphere. Then you shouldn't mind the rewards being removed and placed somewhere else? You could fish all you want at the old fishing hole and enjoy it.

The old system was a total nightmare and other players were able to troll you and harass you and you would not be able to do anything but take the abuse. You could not even fish at all if someone decided they wanted to troll you and this would happen every single time I would try to fish in the winter festival under the old system. I was over joyed when I saw they had changed the fishing in the winter festival and made it more friendly and relaxing. I do wish it was less button pushing involved but it is welcome when faced with the alternative. Part of me wonders if the OP just misses the ability to troll people in the winter festival because what they describe of the old system is 100% the opposite of my experience fishing in the winter festival before the change.
    Personally I never understood the appeal of fishing in any adventure game (both online or at my kitchen table). I should try that some day and tell the party they need to collect a 100 fish from the nearby lake. I bet they will want to murder me after 2 or 3 hours of boredom. I hope you work it out, but I can see the biggest difference in the methods is pound on one button like crazy or play a game of Simon Says following the key layout.

Have a good time at the Winter event.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    I can't stand the "new" fishing and I don't do it. It might be more "realistic", but it's also a severe PITA. It's not fun at all.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
    hustin1 said:

I can't stand the "new" fishing and I don't do it. It might be more "realistic", but it's also a severe PITA. It's not fun at all.

We have real ice fishing here on the Saginaw River, but I don't do that either. I could walk to the river, it's about 2,000 feet from my house, and pitch a tent. The issue I have with ice fishing, is finding all the dead fishermen when the river thaws in the Spring. The river hasn't frozen yet and once it does, we will see news reports about them driving SUVs out on the ice... blub, blub, blub... now that is real as it gets!
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Those anti-bot skeletons have to come from somewhere. They don't grow on trees.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Both new style fishing and old style fishing are not fun at all in my opinion. What is the point of these types of fishing? What is the fun?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • lucifer#4269 lucifer Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Here is an idea....put down the video game and go fishing in real life if you want to relax, ya big baby.
    Lucifer, the light-bringer. Leading man to ruin and away from salvation since at least 1986!
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited December 2020

The issue I have with ice fishing, is finding all the dead fishermen when the river thaws in the Spring. The river hasn't frozen yet and once it does, we will see news reports about them driving SUVs out on the ice... blub, blub, blub... now that is real as it gets!

What in the blue hell sort of city do you live in where they leave the people in the lake for months after they drown????? Lived in the Land of 10k Lakes for 40+ years and can't say I have ever heard of them just leaving people in the lake till spring.

On topic: I haven't had the chance to try the "new" fishing yet, but the old fishing was simple enough that you could get stuff done. I have no idea why ANYONE would have botted it - I think you could get RP from it but it was super small amounts and only used for the things within the festival (IE things that were useless outside of the festival). If they put that stupid SOMI process in the winter festival, I'll do it at the absolute MINIMUM I need to in order to get quests done, and no more.

FYI If you think the old system was easier to bot, you are mistaken. The issue now is, from what I've heard others say, all the botters went to other games now, since Cryptic has basically made anything farmable, not worth farming anymore (professions, gold, RP, enchanting stones, etc). The stuff you want to farm now requires that you go into dungeons - which is fine by me and how it always should have been.

The issue I have with ice fishing, is finding all the dead fishermen when the river thaws in the Spring. The river hasn't frozen yet and once it does, we will see news reports about them driving SUVs out on the ice... blub, blub, blub... now that is real as it gets!

What in the blue hell sort of city do you live in where they leave the people in the lake for months after they drown????? Lived in the Land of 10k Lakes for 40+ years and can't say I have ever heard of them just leaving people in the lake till spring.
    The dominant factors are; ice thickness, river currents (lakes don't get currents), stupidity, etc.. Up until 2017, we had a power station at the mouth of the river that operated by burning coal turning river water to steam. The Weadock (named for Thomas Addis Emmet Weadock) had a discharge of hot water into the river that warmed the water. Most fishermen knew that the warm water attracted the fish to this area, but they didn't seem to worry about the thin ice. The other vent of this type is still active and located in the south end of town. Big Chief Monitor Sugar has a water cooling system and people still flock to fish there. Some of them driving cars, trucks, and quad runners on the thinning ice. The ice will get 8 to 10 inches thick, but I am not about to tempt walk on it, or take a 2 ton vehicle on it. During the dead of winter, solo ice fishermen go missing. Their bodies turn up floating somewhere along the 20 mile waterway. The river current is unpredictable as it will reverse course, almost like it has a mind of its own. This image of the river should give you an idea of its width.

On topic: I haven't had the chance to try the "new" fishing yet, but the old fishing was simple enough that you could get stuff done. I have no idea why ANYONE would have botted it - I think you could get RP from it but it was super small amounts and only used for the things within the festival (IE things that were useless outside of the festival). If they put that stupid SOMI process in the winter festival, I'll do it at the absolute MINIMUM I need to in order to get quests done, and no more.

FYI If you think the old system was easier to bot, you are mistaken. The issue now is, from what I've heard others say, all the botters went to other games now, since Cryptic has basically made anything farmable, not worth farming anymore (professions, gold, RP, enchanting stones, etc). The stuff you want to farm now requires that you go into dungeons - which is fine by me and how it always should have been.

I did some checking and there are some other fishing programs and sims, maybe some of you that don't like the current sim could tell us players and the developers what simulation works for you? I looked at Ice Lakes game play video and found it more complex than current ice fishing. Maybe you can suggest something other than pounding F key to catch those fish.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    +
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • miliantriciamiliantricia Member Posts: 46 Arc User

Due to changes in development schedule, the Winter Event mechanics have not been updated this year but we are looking at all feedback for future iterations.

This is the most atmospheric event. And they won't even update it? Then what to expect in the game? Nothing?
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    I hate fishing in video games.
    /grumpy
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    I loved the old system it was fun and relaxing then they decided to mortar attack the fishing zone and include the most hated part of mod 10 the fishing system in to replace the fun system!
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    I agree, I used to sit and fish while watching movies and chatting with my clan. The new way requires a ton of attention and is not relaxing.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• sol2286sol2286 Member Posts: 16 Arc User

The old fishing system was worse imo because you would be constantly trolled and gameplay harassed by other players and this made fishing under the old system a total nightmare and not at all fun or relaxing.

I understand your problem, but first of all, it created fun when you could interact with each other, and second, it was easy to get around by pointing the camera up. This is a standard way to switch on any action when there are many players at the same point.
  • sol2286sol2286 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    The old system was not easy to bot because those sceletons throw you away from the point.