test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Changes to bondings and companions

Comments

• samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited November 2020

How can people be happy about this. I didn't use ad to upgrade my bondings it was done with real money and alot of grind which took along time to do. As for the we will give you 2.6 mill for them. It's a joke and another kick in the teeth for what has been a loyal but now dwindling player base.

The AD/Zen exchange has been getting longer and longer. I have an order in from Sept 14th for 2k and it still isn't filled. That leads me to believe that many of the ones left now are the those that pay for everything in cash. I see flying wings and giant companions everywhere and very few horses and minor mounts anymore. It could be players that got lucky last year and used the exchange when it was not so backed up, but the current business model will make many just fork out the cash or leave, I fall into the later category BTW after my membership expires.

Sad too as I used to support this game with cash occasionally, now it is just an uphill grind with no end in sight with every mod!
    I think you have that backwards. Plenty of players buying items for Zen would reduce the backlog. When I finish spending my Zen, my leftovers are used to get some quick AD. If there are more of us cash only players, then we are not scooping up your AD offers. I would be quicker to blame the zen store pricing. When I spend $200 cash, I get +9000 more for total of 29,000 Zen. If all the items I buy are equal values ending in "00" then I could spend all my Zen and have nothing remaining. About the only time I end up with an odd remainder is using a coupon or buying an item that ends with "25", "50", or "75". Take a good look at the Zen store, most of the prices end in double and triple zero.

Where you see paid players running about with VIP, companions, and wings, I see freemium players spending the zen we traded them. I am waiting on people to run preview before I make any decision on what to spend. This pause will also increase your backlog, until we get a look at what we really need to know. Anyone buying Zen between now and the preview is taking a big risk. BTW I don't buy into silly cosmetics like wings, I am a gambler, I buy lockbox key bundles.
    Post edited by sameriker on
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • destrion#3156 destrion Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Someone probably already pointed it out but i fear that the milions of AD ppl will get from the bonding exchange will destroy the AH prices, gl to newer players trying to get their hands on enchants and stuff they need to get a built together.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited November 2020

Someone probably already pointed it out but i fear that the milions of AD ppl will get from the bonding exchange will destroy the AH prices, gl to newer players trying to get their hands on enchants and stuff they need to get a built together.

They will have the option to get AD or exchange to another enchantment/runestone of the same rank. Getting AD is not necessary the best deal.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User

You are assuming people will save the AD they get by plowing it all into the ZAX. More likely the funds will be reinvested into new companion setups.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited November 2020

You are assuming people will save the AD they get by plowing it all into the ZAX. More likely the funds will be reinvested into new companion setups.
    Well, AH prices will probably recover after a while, but a lot of AD will end up in the ZAX, considering that a safe route for a new (or improved/upgraded) companion setup would be buying account-wide epic companions from the ZEN shop.

No point in investing time or real money into something that isn't account-wide these days...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    regenerde said:

Well, AH prices will probably recover after a while, but a lot of AD will end up in the ZAX, considering that a safe route for a new (or improved/upgraded) companion setup would be buying account-wide epic companions from the ZEN shop.

No point in investing time or real money into something that isn't account-wide these days...
    One thing to consider is that with the push towards bolster becoming more and more integral to max-out your character's stats which means someone has to now rank-up a bunch of companions (in each category) to leg or mythic just to be competitive with their peers at end-game content, the process is going to be so prohibitively expensive for most that it will be less likely people will be able to get to the desired state on more than one or two characters. This may mean that account-wide purchases down the track are less relevant to people as they'll be possibly focusing on only the one main character or if they're really rich, a couple.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited November 2020

regenerde said:

One thing to consider is that with the push towards bolster becoming more and more integral to max-out your character's stats which means someone has to now rank-up a bunch of companions (in each category) to leg or mythic just to be competitive with their peers at end-game content, the process is going to be so prohibitively expensive for most that it will be less likely people will be able to get to the desired state on more than one or two characters. This may mean that account-wide purchases down the track are less relevant to people as they'll be possibly focusing on only the one main character or if they're really rich, a couple.
    Well, i'd dare say that most players know by now that focusing on only one character is a surefire way of watching your whole investment being flushed down the toilet in the near future.

First mounts and now companions, i'm pretty sure that another "Class Balance" update is "in the works" too...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    edited November 2020
    regenerde said:

regenerde said:

Well, i'd dare say that most players know by now that focusing on only one character is a surefire way of watching your whole investment being flushed down the toilet in the near future.

First mounts and now companions, i'm pretty sure that another "Class Balance" update is "in the works" too...
    For years, I basically don't know anyone that I interacted with focus to only one character. They may focus "more" to one character and they grow multiple characters.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • eddiestormeddiestorm Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    What I see in this thread is "OH NOOOO, THE SKY IS FALLING". Ok I can understand concerns that MIGHT fall but before we run around like an abyssal chicken can we at least wait to see that it is starting to fall.

What I see in this thread is "OH NOOOO, THE SKY IS FALLING". Ok I can understand concerns that MIGHT fall but before we run around like an abyssal chicken can we at least wait to see that it is starting to fall.

About every 1.5 years, the "end of the world" threads happens.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    I spent yesterday upgrading Mounts and Companions. With the calculations I did, I found it more cost effective to purchase those Upgrade Tokens from the Zen Store. Much more expensive buying it from resellers on the AH. I did buy Companion XP Tokens from the AH as that was more cost effective.

I now have 100% Bolster from the Mounts. I had three Companions at Legendary, now I have ten. My Il boosted up about 5k with all that.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User

regenerde said:

regenerde said:

For years, I basically don't know anyone that I interacted with focus to only one character. They may focus "more" to one character and they grow multiple characters.
    People might have to rethink things the more bolster becomes central to maxing stats and all the cost that entails for each separate character.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • methuslah#7626 methuslah Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Just to add to the guy giving tips on leveling up companions using quests:
    Get a cheap head, arms, feet, belt, neck and makos' ring.
    Fill the utility slots on those items with very cheap, rank 8 or 9 azure enchants.
    When you go to hand in quests, swap out companion, the aforementioned XP gear and the guild XP bonus if possible.
    Hand in your quests with a huge XP bonus! Yes it does work, your companion gets the same XP as you.

Look around for quests that give relatively high XP. The guild hall one's are decent, however the Valenhas quests are better, if you do the above you can easily get 40k to 50k XP per quest. It's possible to take a companion from 30 to 35 in one set of Valenhas quest handins.

Hope this helps some, don't waste AD buying companion XP books, this method is seriously fast.
    edited November 2020

regenerde said:

regenerde said:

People might have to rethink things the more bolster becomes central to maxing stats and all the cost that entails for each separate character.
    There is not much difference comparing with before. The cost always entails for each character except Zen store mount (which was the only thing that was account wide). Yes, it will need to invest more for each character just like every N changes they made before. It is just one cycle of the circle of life in NW.
    edited November 2020

Just to add to the guy giving tips on leveling up companions using quests:

Get a cheap head, arms, feet, belt, neck and makos' ring.

Fill the utility slots on those items with very cheap, rank 8 or 9 azure enchants.

When you go to hand in quests, swap out companion, the aforementioned XP gear and the guild XP bonus if possible.

Hand in your quests with a huge XP bonus! Yes it does work, your companion gets the same XP as you.

Look around for quests that give relatively high XP. The guild hall one's are decent, however the Valenhas quests are better, if you do the above you can easily get 40k to 50k XP per quest. It's possible to take a companion from 30 to 35 in one set of Valenhas quest handins.

Hope this helps some, don't waste AD buying companion XP books, this method is seriously fast.

I have tons of companion XP books that I got when the XP rewards produced them long long time ago. Why do I still have them? Because I have been doing what you described for years and did not bother to move the XP book to do the job. And, I do that mostly through the XP from invocation.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    edited November 2020

Remember you can upgrade companions with AD.

My guesstimate is ZAX queue might even become less since a lot of AD will be diverted into mythic companions.

At least for a short while, this could be the AD drain we have been asking for.

While it might be cheaper to go AD->Zen->Companion upgrade tokens, that currently means waiting 90 days for your Zen, so I doubt many will prefer that route.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User

"This ship is sinking" ever since I got here, heard this from nearly every vet I knew back then.
    But - those are mostly gone now, so for them, it is true =D.
    It depends on how often you want to witness something like this and continue hamster wheeling :D
    - bye bye -
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

"This ship is sinking" ever since I got here, heard this from nearly every vet I knew back then.
    It depends on how often you want to witness something like this and continue hamster wheeling :D
    People have been saying this even in open beta, with Caturday. There will always be doomsayers or the loud minority that feel personally attacked whenever something 'might' get nerfed. When in reality most of the major changes were needed to deal with some parts of the game getting brokenly overpowered or what have you. There will always be something for them to point at and be negative about, it's part of human nature.

Changes come and you adapt or you don't adapt and you either become a 'bitter vet' or leave. BTW, expect a fresh round once this hits preview soon. Even if the changes are good, they will be misinterpreted or overblown if mildly bad.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

People have been saying this even in open beta, with Caturday. There will always be doomsayers or the loud minority that feel personally attacked whenever something 'might' get nerfed. When in reality most of the major changes were needed to deal with some parts of the game getting brokenly overpowered or what have you. There will always be something for them to point at and be negative about, it's part of human nature.

Changes come and you adapt or you don't adapt and you either become a 'bitter vet' or leave. BTW, expect a fresh round once this hits preview soon. Even if the changes are good, they will be misinterpreted or overblown if mildly bad.
    To echo on that, I've never seen a persistent-world game that didn't have this discourse constantly on their forums. I've been on many over the years. It's always, "This promo was a bad cash grab, game is dying," or "Going Free to Play means it's dying," or "ANY CHANGE AT ALL = HUGE NERF QQ."

We really don't know what new stat will replace Companion Influence on Insignias, Enchants, and Boons. Might be a mix - Boon might be better off as a combat supportive stat, but the other two could very well be something people really want, like Rough AD droprate. After all, there's a new collar for that one. But it's all Wild Mass Guessing, myself included.

There's also a lot of assuming that the new benchmark for balance will be based on having 3 Bonding R15s. Many players don't have that. I was in the process of getting there, but stopped when I saw the news. Maybe they take a different benchmark, and as a result the other IL and stat adjusts actually buff us. It's not unheard of.

Yeah, this was a bit of a surprise, but outside of a very vocal handful, I haven't seen much talk of this in-game. I for one will wait until it plays out. Sometimes, changes need to happen. I've personally seen a lot of Item Level inflation not representing stats, so maybe an adjustment will help.
    Call me El, she/her only. Currently Professions-only until the next combat change fixes this mess.
  • violencebf22violencebf22 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    This is quite a good innovation. if the companions (combat) were not so useless. Well, except for chicken and zuna. satellites whose attack rate or skills do not work or whose satellites have too few stats with the same things as others, but the damage was cut due to lack of stats like a purchased zariel. and again we boil down to what they wrote from above. vet * don't care about changes because they have 100 + k million ad and they have all satellites because they own vet * and are collectors. Priestess of Sehanine Moonbow before buff party by 20% chance of crit after edits and fixes, I just started giving 100 when you need 90k and the satellite gives 100 .. and so on most. so before the companions changes, would it be worth making the companions themselves cost-effective? Tutor does not give a party(5) % AD. Stalwart Golden Lion with its crooked damage buff that does not work yes it is displayed but you don't have 14% damage(10+2*2) Neverember Guard Archer or any other archer attacks too slow with a 3-5 second shot. Repentant Dragon Cultist almost half of the fight now and then buffs himself making oneself practically useless and so with 90% of companions.

You know what's funny? You invest literally dozens of millions of AD to become a high level player, become basically a god slaying legend in the NW world, and then get absolutely destroyed by a chicken. Main source of DPS for DPS characters should be their own damage. Not me payin some random bloke to do my job for me. Because at that point I ain't an adventurer, I'm a guild hiring others. I'm a business.

Not really. The Manager usually gets more money and credit than those works under him/her.
  • madrigal#2900 madrigal Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    hundreds of companions in game
    only half a dozen give 8k stats covering most stats,but none give 8k accuracy
    only a few augments add to power
    only 2 are aggressive offensive and fast dps choices..xuna/chicken..everything else is slow to react
    there are a few 'team' companions that actually are worth the effort - harper bards team power buff is a good example
    half a dozen +crit severity comps...but we dont slot their abilities if we can slot power/hp
    half a dozen +4k power
    half a dozen +16k hp..and the energon with its 32k
    i use my small bank of 15 utils comps, swap them around and can run as a 610k hp, 218k power all stats capped at 108k 158k CA dps (prepping for mod 20 - i dont run with that normally)
    or 510k hp, 240k power, stats capped at 98k 148k CA dps, or a 440k hp, 260k power, stats at 98k, 148k CA dps.

i used to use my secondary spec as a healer until the healing comps were reduced dramatically and the healing changed from aoe to targetted zones/single target..so those legendary comps were shelved and now gather dust alongside old 'BiS' comps like the chult tiger and the razorwood.

its just such a shame that so many companions are just not feasible in utils slots or as summoned companions. i hope that the incoming changes make a lot of them more viable as alternatives, giving us all more flexibility in our builds.
    our appearance tab, and using fashion or transmutes may make us appear different, but sadly under the hood we are all using basically the same gear, same comps, same weapon sets, same enchants slotted, same mounts and mount abilities/powers.

we keep getting more diverse races added, but even so, they end up just being a skin that utilises the exact set up that every other race uses and the racial differences are really negated at end game.
    when you start the game it appears that there are a huge variety of builds,races, comps etc...but it all narrows down to a few limited choices end game.
    it would just be good to have more options..more choices available end game...to jump into a RTQ or REDQ and see a variety of comps ..all viable, because tbh, im up to here with xuna/chickens/bulette pups.
    fingers crossed - not a good way to hold a mouse though :)

• elderislt#1066 elderislt Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    i dont know.... now standing in PE with 275k non in combat, so ye i waiting for test server .... on max 300kbase or more.... camon....+ imagine tomm runs with 10 ppl+ 10 striker masive companjon :DDD in f3 on double spreat :disappointed:
    BABY ZARIEL.... 270k base HUNTER
  • elderislt#1066 elderislt Member Posts: 146 Arc User

I still don't understand why you guys hating this upcoming change??

These changes had to be done sooner or latter it is inevitable.

With current companion system, any player who have augment + bonding runestones can easily ignore most of in game mechanics due raw stats.

So it's no surpise why Pug's CoDG runs end up in fails, same can be said about dungeon in HC mode.

Players don't even bother to learn mechanics or even pay attention to whats happening arround, all they do is keyboard hammering, and eat all hits without any attempts to avoid them.

Or lets take Xuna/abyssal Chicken case.

Not so long ago I was in IC, healer used xuna and in boss fight switched to Abyssal Chicken.
    Now in the end when we completed dungeon I looked to paingiving scores. Healer was tops dps, and he done x2 more dmg then second highest paingiver.

It's no longer matter if you play as wiz, or warlock or ranger, heal or tank, xuna and abysal chicken wipe enemies for you.

In other words players become least required element in gameplay.

more we have, leess we need, not its alot off strong player, whu dont care about mechanic in dangeons, its dont care its CODG TONG, TOMM or CITADEL, ppl just can skip 80 % all mechanic, so its bad
    BABY ZARIEL.... 270k base HUNTER
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    ltminns said:

With the calculations I did, I found it more cost effective to purchase those Upgrade Tokens from the Zen Store.

Since Zen is so hard to come by at the moment. that basically means you found it more cost effective to go the wallet warrior route :)

It will always be more efficient to purchase Zen.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

ltminns said:

With the calculations I did, I found it more cost effective to purchase those Upgrade Tokens from the Zen Store.

Since Zen is so hard to come by at the moment. that basically means you found it more cost effective to go the wallet warrior route :)

It will always be more efficient to purchase Zen.
    Quite a few people do just have Zen on hand for the purposes of flash sales or are just sitting on it waiting for something worthwhile to spend it on. Just because someone can spend Zen right away, doesn't mean they had to break out a wallet. Even if they did however, we need these types of players to keep the lights on.
  • gor1llaf1stgor1llaf1st Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    if you really want people to have options, you need to remove the ability to see dmg number logs. seeing the numbers pop over someones head is great, having the ability to mine all the data into a chart is what makes min maxing so quick after you make changes and then everyone follows suit. on live and test servers
  • gor1llaf1stgor1llaf1st Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    also, saying bondings is a hurdle for new players is just dumb since every thing that makes a end game character is a hurdle for new players, just like ranking up companions even further will be..... thats like trying to convince us that seeing what we were getting in the chest before key use was a bug for 5 years lmao