test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are there only 100 Zariel companions in this game

clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
As the title says, how many are there really. I ask because I collect companions (surely I am not the only one) and if there are only 100 then the current lowest price of 12 million AD seems almost too cheap. Or can these also drop from dungeon rewards? How safe is it to assume that one day in the future this will be available from the zen store (not the Soradiel substitute).

Comments

• nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    It would be "unfair" and not feasible for players who join in the future to not get a chance at the Zariel companion. My guess is they going to package these top prizes as a Zen pack one day or make it available for purchase (Tbars/WB).
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    nic1985 said:

It would be "unfair" and not feasible for players who join in the future to not get a chance at the Zariel companion. My guess is they going to package these top prizes as a Zen pack one day or make it available for purchase (Tbars/WB).

Soradiel is exactly the same except for name and graphics.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I tossed out my rather unique concept long ago. Back when there was a Foundry. I suggested making truly "one-of-a-kind" weapons for stories, because that is the definition of unique. Not that the weapon itself wields the power of the Gods or anything. But you would go take it from big bad boss man and the story would change stating they no longer wield their signature weapon. Some hero by the name XDrawrLOL stole the weapon. At that point, minions of the boss would be hounding the player everywhere they go to get the weapon back. If the player (e.g. XDrawrLOL) fell in battle to the minions they would lose the weapon and it would be returned. Every 24 hours, XDrawrLOL is not online counts as sleeping. A percentage counter would progress and they could lose the weapon by theft.

Meanwhile other players who know XDrawrLOL has the weapon could challenge them for it in one on one PvP. But there would only be one of that weapon in the whole game. Back when they had the Foundry, I could see thousands of these bosses with their one-of-a-kind weapons being a real cool thing for players to have purpose to play between modules. They could win the Blade of 1,000 Deaths from the Doom Master Swordsman or the Orb of Nullification from the Zen Wizard, the list would be endless, but if you don't get online every day to play, it could get stolen! If you fall to their minions or lose in PvP, bye-bye Awesome Dagger of Melted Butter.

Therefore I am cool with there being only 100 of anything in the game, and I also think it is fair. However @nic1985 is probably correct. I suspect a lot of this stuff will pop up in the future for Zen.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    @mentinmindmaker But the collection will likely have two different companions and for some that is enough for them to must have to complete collection, also appearance is everything to some people.

• vaultingfrog#2497 vaultingfrog Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Problemo.... if you have the zariel comp and buy the other one.. you now have access to 2 comps giving critical severity instead of the just the 1.... with no possibility of anyone else getting access to the zariel comp...

Just ain't cricket
  • nooneatzanooneatza Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    ...it was a limited time reward given only to people who spent their time grinding their butt off. There is a ,copy of her in the zen store named Soradiel, same stats, same attack pattern, same animations, just a different skin.

"oh no i didn't want to spend the time to grind for something limited but i want it so devs gib pls", guys, it doesn't work that way
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    nooneatza said:

...it was a limited time reward given only to people who spent their time grinding their butt off. There is a ,copy of her in the zen store named Soradiel, same stats, same attack pattern, same animations, just a different skin.

"oh no i didn't want to spend the time to grind for something limited but i want it so devs gib pls", guys, it doesn't work that way

There is grind, and then there is there is a grind that only 100 can achieve, because they are grinding (ahem botting) close to 24/7. You can't seriously expect the game to create content that 99.9% of players have zero chance of ever getting.
  • nooneatzanooneatza Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    @clericalist which is why the developers have been kind enough to add Soradiel to the zen store.

The design choice of making a -NON BIS ITEM- limited time based on an event, and then having a reskin with the same stats in the zen store is a good thing. (remember, RC is a limited time event)
    This way who wants it for real goes and battles it out with the community for a chance to get it, and if they don't there is the alternative of spending zen. Remember, combat stats are the same and Soradiel is just a reskin.

As long as events like these don't offer best in slot things that hinder progression it can be considered as good design. (looking at journals, ap gain horn, apocalypse dagger and a few more things)

(and no, i wasn't top 100 but i helped some friends of mine that wanted to do it and they reached spots between 20 and 60, you most certainly did NOT need to grind 24/7)
  • vaultingfrog#2497 vaultingfrog Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    It's not the... " Oh I want it!" <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

It's more along the lines of them having two companions with the same companion bonuses to equip to boost their critical severity way up instead of just the 1.

Kind of creates an unfair advantage to everyone else and further increases the gap between the "elite" and "normal" players without it having anything to do with skill...

That is the problem. Unless their abilities can't both be equiped, which I have no reason to see why they wouldn't..
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User

Problemo.... if you have the zariel comp and buy the other one.. you now have access to 2 comps giving critical severity instead of the just the 1.... with no possibility of anyone else getting access to the zariel comp...

Just ain't cricket

Since they have the same effect name, you will only see it once in your list of selectable effects. So no, having both will not matter.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Well, it wouldn't surprise me to see all the Citadel rewards being packed up in a 20k ZEN bundle at the end of the year, without the race of course, since that one would be placed inside another bundle for around 10k ZEN.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • arheliyaarheliya Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Hello. Unique items that are never obtained again have their own advantages to the player's feel. This is the story he went through. But many do not play every day and miss months. It is very disappointing to miss the moment, so such one-off events can affect the player's decision - whether to continue playing at all.

I got to the event and I'm happy about it, but the situation could have turned out differently, and I don't even know how bad I would feel if I missed it. Other post-event retrieval methods are unacceptable.
    Ru-PC server:

Sorry I don't speak English. I am using an online translator.
    Ru-PC server.
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited October 2020

There is grind, and then there is there is a grind that only 100 can achieve, because they are grinding (ahem botting) close to 24/7.

Completely false idea about the ability to get in top100. Yeah, being 1st, 2nd or 3rd or even 1st page) may require quite a lot (if not a ton) of time and dedication, but 100th was achievable with roughly 3-4h of farming per day and/or with the support of your guild/ally/friends (you know, MMORPG is also a social game ^^).
    The competition will probably be more ferocious for phase 4 I think though.

You can't seriously expect the game to create content that 99.9% of players have zero chance of ever getting.

1- Content ≠ Reward. I didn't and won't compete in top 100 of any phase.
    But i helped and will help our guild champion for the phase to get in => even though i don't compete myself and dont get the reward and the glory for myself, I'm playing this "competition" content as part of something like a "champion's crew/staff".

2- Why not ?
    Why do you play a MMORPG ? Don't you want your main toon to be unique ?
    Should everyone easily be able to get what everyone else can, so we would end up (which is more or the less the case currently) as an army of clones ?
    In a true RolePlaying situation, would you be bothered if a player :
    - as a fighter was rewarded by Bruenor with a unique axe because he won the official (pvp) tournament organized by the Mithral Hall ?
    - as a wizard won a unique mount for getting the best time of the server in the slalom race during the whole winter fest ?
    - as a female toon end up with a unique Tiara because she won the Miss election organized by Neverember ?
    - etc

3- What does it change for you if some get those "limited edition" rewards and you do not ?

From my point of view, and even if i never get my hand on any "top100"-like reward, the problem is not that the Avernus phases are rewarding the top 100 with "limited edition" items (BiS powerful or skin only, it doesn't matter).
    The problem is : there are not enough events/occurences like that in Neverwinter.
    I want more, much more things like that, with limited-edition prizes. Both in quantity and variety (based on PvE, PvP, RP, speed races, skill contests, tournaments, grind/farm, puzzles, enigmas, hunts, ingame sports, individual, collective [even to the guild scale] or whatever else that can be thought from entertainers).

If they change a bit the the winter fest, and add a unique reward for the top10 best times in the iced toboggan run, will you try to compete ? I definitely will :P (even without any hope of finishing in top 10)

• mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited November 2020

2- Why not ?
    Why do you play a MMORPG ? Don't you want your main toon to be unique ?
    Should everyone easily be able to get what everyone else can, so we would end up (which is more or the less the case currently) as an army of clones ?
    In a true RolePlaying situation, would you be bothered if a player :
    - as a fighter was rewarded by Bruenor with a unique axe because he won the official (pvp) tournament organized by the Mithral Hall ?
    - as a wizard won a unique mount for getting the best time of the server in the slalom race during the whole winter fest ?
    - as a female toon end up with a unique Tiara because she won the Miss election organized by Neverember ?
    - etc

3- What does it change for you if some get those "limited edition" rewards and you do not ?

From my point of view, and even if i never get my hand on any "top100"-like reward, the problem is not that the Avernus phases are rewarding the top 100 with "limited edition" items (BiS powerful or skin only, it doesn't matter).
    The problem is : there are not enough events/occurences like that in Neverwinter.
    I want more, much more things like that, with limited-edition prizes. Both in quantity and variety (based on PvE, PvP, RP, speed races, skill contests, tournaments, grind/farm, puzzles, enigmas, hunts, ingame sports, individual, collective [even to the guild scale] or whatever else that can be thought from entertainers).

If they change a bit the the winter fest, and add a unique reward for the top10 best times in the iced toboggan run, will you try to compete ? I definitely will :P (even without any hope of finishing in top 10)

A PnP game is very different from this game.

If you are worried about characters looking too much alike because they all have access to the same gear then:

A ) You should be pushing that more and different-looking gear of the same quality be made available to everyone

B ) You should go into the appearance tab and change your toon to look less similar

• co2#1085 co2 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Important is that they remain rare as summoned companion, because due to their huge size they tend to block the view ...
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User

Just ain't cricket

Everyone can have access to two crit sev pets. Get Soradiel(When it's finally fixed) and Splinters from the Halloween event that just ended. Both def slot crit sev pets. But how many DPS need them? Most only have 1 def slot they can utilize, unless your a barb/fighter dps.