Install Arc
Options

Is Black Owlbear bugged?

2»

Comments

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I would suggest that since the game can tell if you 'own' the power, display 'owned' or 'unowned' on the tooltip.

Currently, the immediate interpretation is that owned refers to the mount and not the powers.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    sagakaiyume#0847 sagakaiyume Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I just want to point out many players in NW don't read tooltips.. How many times have we had to tell players empowered doesn't give hp to the player when placed in def slots and they say it does? How many pally tanks have you seen not know a difference between tab and tab + shift, or that tab + shift even exists?

No matter what solution they go with, if it requires reading a tooltip to understand, there is no winning.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    --

I just want to point out many players in NW don't read tooltips.. How many times have we had to tell players empowered doesn't give hp to the player when placed in def slots and they say it does? How many pally tanks have you seen not know a difference between tab and tab + shift, or that tab + shift even exists?

No matter what solution they go with, if it requires reading a tooltip to understand, there is no winning.

I have no problem reading tooltip. The bigger problem is when the tooltip is wrong or misleading or missing.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
    pitshade said:

I would suggest that since the game can tell if you 'own' the power, display 'owned' or 'unowned' on the tooltip.

Currently, the immediate interpretation is that owned refers to the mount and not the powers.

That's actually where it gets tricky. The item doesn't actually know if its owned in that state. The magnitude on the power has a formula which gets the highest quality you have, multiplies by the bolster, by how many stats come from an item level, and what percentage of the item level that stat is taking.

What we did is if that formula finds 0 for the quality, it replaces it with the value for mythic as it is doing the calculation. So the only thing that technically knows it is unowned is the number itself.

We can adjust the text of that to be more clear that it is referring to the power specifically and not the mount itself.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I talked about missing information in the tooltip above. What I refer to is there is no tooltip of the mount in the stable. Once in the stable, the only information of the mount available is what kind of insignia slot they have. I don't know which mount has which powers unless I can find it in the collection page (not all available) or AH (not all available).
    Say, I want to buy the mount with certain power which is owned by character A for character B. I don't know what to buy or not easily to figure that out.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User

I talked about missing information in the tooltip above. What I refer to is there is no tooltip of the mount in the stable. Once in the stable, the only information of the mount available is what kind of insignia slot they have. I don't know which mount has which powers unless I can find it in the collection page (not all available) or AH (not all available).
    Say, I want to buy the mount with certain power which is owned by character A for character B. I don't know what to buy or not easily to figure that out.

The stable needs a view like the companion manager. Where we can see the mount, its insignia slots, possible insignia bonus', powers, stats, etc. Even better would be a view where you can see mounts you don't have and display data as if you had them based on your current bolster. One step further would be a menu on the mount to buy it in the Zen store or search the auction house.

Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User

pitshade said:

That's actually where it gets tricky. The item doesn't actually know if its owned in that state. The magnitude on the power has a formula which gets the highest quality you have, multiplies by the bolster, by how many stats come from an item level, and what percentage of the item level that stat is taking.

What we did is if that formula finds 0 for the quality, it replaces it with the value for mythic as it is doing the calculation. So the only thing that technically knows it is unowned is the number itself.

We can adjust the text of that to be more clear that it is referring to the power specifically and not the mount itself.
    I appreciate your explanations and now have a better idea of what is going on so thankyou. I am not a coder and cannot speak to how it would work to fix, all I can do is point out my own experience with this Owlbear tooltip when viewed in the AH (so it will be experienced by others too) and that it proved extremely confusing and the end result was that I was left feeling cheated (obviously it is apparently working as intended so technically giving correct information based on how you have set it, however it did not give the information we are used to getting and making decisions based upon) and this is not the user experience or general feeling we want for the game.

At the risk of repeating myself, when you go to buy an item from the AH you are almost always wanting to boost your stats then and there and the tooltip provides the info necessary to make an informed decision on what to spend your AD on. "I buy A and it gives me B and when I buy it and equip it, I will see that reflected in my stats." What we need is not a stat which you will get 'one day' under certain conditions, but a stat as close to what you are going to receive when you buy and equip it today. If it can also show what it is capable of providing you in the future eventually under certain conditions as well great, but the current stats you are going to receive should always take precedent. When I initially hovered over the Owlbear in the AH I did not own it and did not own the power (stalwart) anywhere else so I don't know why it is showing the 'un-owned' stat as max when that is not what I will get when I do not own it and then go and buy it. If this is incorrect sorry, but this is how people's brains work when they are playing the game. It was purely because of the HP stats I was buying it so I needed to see what I was going to get. Any other information it could show is conjecture as I may never upgrade anything in the future for all the game knows and those stats might never materialize. I hope this can be ironed out, and thankyou again for your explanation on the issues behind this.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.