test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Black Owlbear bugged?

rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
I like my hitpoints and recently I saw the epic Black Owlbear in the AH gave you around 32,000hp and I decided to buy one. I just bought one earlier for just over half a mill thinking I was going to get 32,000hp but when I equipped it the Stalwart power shows 14,000hp. Huh?

I did read something about mounts sometimes showing lower stats in the new system for some reason but I can't remember the details, but I'm not sure that applies here? In the tooltip as an epic mount it showed 32,000hp and now I only have 14,000, it's still epic, os why doesn't that stat apply, why isn't it giving what the tooltip says it should? If this is expected behaviour, can someone please explain what is going on so I can do something about it and get my effing 32,000 anyway? If it's a bug, I'm reporting it here. Please don't tell me the tooltip was wrong for epic and it was supposed to show 14,000 on the AH. It showed 32,000 and I paid the amount I did specifically for that. TY.
Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.

Comments

• rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    Hang on, I just went back in and went to the AH to get a screenshot of the tooltip and now it shows 14,000 on them. I have been looking at this mount for days and days and it consistently showed 32,000 I have it burned in my brain. What's happened? Signed, confused.
    I've now taken a few screenshots for support to look at. I realized that even though it has changed on my main character I still have other characters to check on and take screenshots.

The first image is how it looks on my main now (name: Jornutz) (where when I did not have the mount it said 32,000), this character is lvl 80, IL just over 24k, has a couple of epic mounts, epic/leg insignias with one blue insignia still, only one epic collar and no other collars as yet. Black Owlbear hitpoints are showing at just over 14,000

The second image is taken on a new character I made yesterday just to use for bank slot spaces, (name: KONG) he is level 5, has only the free mount you get straight away, no insignias or collars at all, his IL is 110. Black Owlbear hitpoints are showing at just over 30,000

The third image is on my old account I no longer use, (his name: Marquovis) He is lvl 80 and still kitted-out as he was when I stopped playing him apart from the weapon and armour enchants I took from him for my new account, currently has an IL between 24-25k, several leg mounts the rest epic, epic and leg insignias and no collars at all. Black Owlbear hitpoints are showing at just over 40,000

I searched the exact same Black Owlbear from the Auction House on all three characters, hovered over them and screenshotted the tooltip. You can see that on my current it shows 14k, on the lvl 5 character 30k and on my old account which is better geared mount-wise than my current character but has comparable stats, it shows 40k. But you can easily see that a lvl 5 character with one free mount and no other mount gear and no other gear and an IL of less than 1,000 is seeing over 30,000 hitpoints which is around what I was seeing on my current character before I purchased the mount.

Can someone make this make sense please?

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    What is your mount bolster total?

My toon that has 35% shows 40500 (based on the tooltop of the mount in AH).
    My toon that has 37% shows 41100.
    My toon that has 33% shows 39900.
    My toon that has 22% shows 7320. ?? (level 80)
    Another toon that has 22% shows 36600 ?? (level 4)
    My toon that has 19% shows 35700. (level 4).
    My toon that has 11% shows 33300. (level 4).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    Current main: 17.5%
    Lvl 5 character: 0.5%
    Old character: 34%
    edited October 2020
    And thanks for posting that also Plasticbat, seeing the percentage rate diffs is helpful, because it shows me that it is looking like it does indeed calculate in advance what hp's you will get based on your current mount bolster % (even though it still looks a little wonky in some areas) and in fact my 17.5% currently I have is more or less in line with what I'm seeing in your list at comparable percentages, which is the 32,000 I was constantly seeing before buying it. But this doesn't explain why it suddenly dropped to 14,000 after buying and equipping plus on top of that, what I'm seeing in less percentages than 17.5% is still greater than 14k anyway.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User

The one you looked at in the AH showed the maximum bonus as the tooltip mentions. Once you equipped the mount, the amount was actually calculated for your character.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    So why is it showing at all various amounts depending on bolster %? If it shows max for un-owned, it would show the same value for all the characters who don't own it.
    I'm assuming that Plasticbat doesn't own a black owlbear on each of those toons, but even in the unlikely event they did, the two characters Marq and Kong don't own it, and one shows 40,000 (inline with what Plasticbat showed for the same bolster % in their list) and Kong shows 30,000, neither of those characters own it so why are they showing different amounts? They're 10,000 different to each other. Max is max isn't it? Whatever the maximum possible stat it can be is.
    No, I do not own a black owlbear. I only checked the number from the mount in AH when there were 2 of them. Now, there is none. Hence, I cannot check anymore. I also cannot find that mount in Collection page.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    That's why it was showing 32k before you bought it. How long ago did you look at and then buy it? I don't see max numbers on anything in the AH tonight. Regardless of whether I have the power in my stable or not, it's calculating everything based on my bolster.

Mount powers I have, the AH seems to showing the tooltip that my stable shows. For Legendary Carpet of Flying which adds defense, an epic mount with defense still shows the amount I get from my legendary. Same thing for Mythic Tenser (owned) and Epic Enchanted Courser (AH). So 'owned' isn't based on the having the mount but having the power enabled in the stable.

For mounts with powers that I don't already have in my stable, the amount shown on the AH seems to the max value but I can't test because all of my characters except my first have the same bolster and she seems to have every single stat equip power. For the ones that don't have Deflection, it shows as 11,025. I have too many account unlocked mounts to be able to check.

I would check and see if the characters showing different values for the AH tooltips have Stalwart in their stable.

edited October 2020
    I just went and checked both characters, well I already knew Kong didn't have Stalwart because he has one free mount and nothing else, but I checked Marq who has a lot of mounts and powers and that is actually one he doesn't have. I can go and check the other chars on that account but I don't know there's any point. Marq and Kong both have 10,000 hp diff between the supposed 'max' amount and neither have either the black owlbear mount or Stalwart power so there is nothing bringing it down if it's being actively calculated at the moment.

No, I do not own a black owlbear. I only checked the number from the mount in AH when there were 2 of them. Now, there is none. Hence, I cannot check anymore. I also cannot find that mount in Collection page.

Yea, I saw that the last one was gone. A day ago there were around 7 or 8 of them all over half a million going up to over 700,000. There must be a lot of people thinking that they're going to get all these hps and paying through the nose for that mount. Boy will they be surprised and peed-off.
    The only thing I can think of then, is to be sure characters aren't scaled when checking mounts as it will change the numbers.

I really can't do much else to test since my bolster amounts are the same for every character but one and she has nearly every power. What do you see if you look at an epic mount with deflection? That was the only one I could see that an alt didn't have. It showed 11025 for me.

However, don't concern yourselves over the specific mount. Any epic mount with HP should show the same bonus as Black Owlbear since the game is checking powers that your character has unlocked, not specific mounts.
    pitshade said:

The only thing I can think of then, is to be sure characters aren't scaled when checking mounts as it will change the numbers.

All my characters were parked in PE, Moonstone mask or Citadel.
    edited October 2020
    I was in AI headquarters in PE everytime I checked these things, I sort of use that as my PE base in between queues. No scaling there.

edit: oh hang on, my main Jor is there. The new one Kong is also in PE outside the bank where it's convenient for me to swap to him cause it will only be banking after all, and Marq is parked up in the very top level in Yawning Portal where he was at the time when I rage quit, he used to use that as a base and I like it there too, the music is nice. YP is also not scaled.
    edited October 2020

I was in AI headquarters in PE everytime I checked these things, I sort of use that as my PE base in between queues. No scaling there.

edit: oh hang on, my main Jor is there. The new one Kong is also in PE outside the bank where it's convenient for me to swap to him cause it will only be banking after all, and Marq is parked up in the very top level in Yawning Portal where he was at the time when I rage quit, he used to use that as a base and I like it there too, the music is nice. YP is also not scaled.

I park most in Moonstone mask because of its fast instance loading comparing with other area. In addition, I have VIP. Going there is fast (2 clicks). PE is slow for loading. I parked some level 4 storage toons there only because of its guild bank.
    I have a couple of of characters parked standing at the bar there.
    @nitochris ello. Is anyone going to respond to this or is it going to just sit buried in the thread further and further back and finally get ignored. I think we at least need to know why the 'max' value when not owned is jumping all over the place for different characters and people. Surely max value is one set thing for that mount, not different ones. I'm really only looking for clarification to understand what's going on and to submit a bug report here if it's actually bugged in it's behavior.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Hey @rockster#6227

Others have pretty much covered this but as the tooltip says "If unowned, the stats are shown as max quality" - Quality is the rank so it is based off of Mythic when unowned. It uses your current bolster, it doesn't set it to max bolster, so the variance among characters will be on where their bolster is.
    edited October 2020

Hey @rockster#6227

Others have pretty much covered this but as the tooltip says "If unowned, the stats are shown as max quality" - Quality is the rank so it is based off of Mythic when unowned. It uses your current bolster, it doesn't set it to max bolster, so the variance among characters will be on where their bolster is.

@nitocris83
    It is NOT true. I don't think you read through the whole thread.
    I don't own such mount anywhere in my account.
    The following is the result when I checked that (posted above):

My toon that has 35% shows 40500 (based on the tooltip of the mount in AH).
    My toon that has 22% shows 7320. ?? (level 80) <---- pay attention to these two
    Another toon that has 22% shows 36600 ?? (level 4) <------

None of them shows "max quality" when unowned for my case.

The above was done with black owlbear.

Just for the heck of it, I checked with owlbear (which I also don't own):.
    toon with 35% bolster, the tooltip in AH shows 2025 deflection.
    36% shows 2040 deflection
    37% shows 2055 deflection.
    A toon that has 22% shows 9150 deflection. ?????? <----
    Another toon with 22% shows 1830 deflection. ???? <----
    25% shows 1875.
    33% shows 1995.

No, it does not show the max quality (again, I don't own it). The tooltip is wrong.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
    The tooltip says "If unowned, the stats are shown as max quality"

Quality is the rank, so it is based off of Mythic when unowned. It doesn't set it to max bolster

Hey @rockster#6227

@nitocris83

25% shows 1875.
    33% shows 1995.

No, it does not show the max quality (again, I don't own it). The tooltip is wrong.</p>
    Max Quality (which is just the rank) and Max Bolster would be HP at 60,000

Max Quality and 35% bolster would be 40,500

Your numbers match up to what she is saying.

Max quality is the rank only, it has nothing to do with bolster. It always uses your current bolster. It doesn't change the border icon or anything else. It simply plugs Mythic quality values into the tooltip formula if you don't own the power at all.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited October 2020

Quality is the rank, so it is based off of Mythic when unowned. It doesn't set it to max bolster

IMO the stats displayed for mounts is just extremely confusing, unpredicatble and hard to track.
    This bad user interface design.

Let the mounts show the base value for their rank regardless of it being owned or not. This will make it easy to compare mounts.

People can add the bolster themselves. People can also figure out if it is an upgrade themselves.

As it is it is just very confusing.
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer

IMO the stats displayed for mounts is just extremely confusing, unpredicatble and hard to track.

Let the mounts show the base value for their rank regardless of it being owned or not. This will make it easy to compare mounts.

People can add the bolster themselves. People can also figure out if it is an upgrade themselves.

It has no knowledge of the rank of the mount that it is in a pack with when unowned. That is the issue.

Mounts being broken up into pieces of the costume, slots, passive, combat power means that they don't know the info of each other. They're all fully independent items (which is why when they switched to that system they didn't have mount upgrades).

So a system was built where the passive power looks through the mount slots inventory on your character for matching tags. It finds all of the matching tags, and then takes the highest one to use as its value. So if you have a green quality mount, a purple, and an orange all of which gave the same passive power, it will know to use the orange as the value.

This means when it is unowned it is finding nothing. We felt the most informative solution was to show what that value would be when it was mythic since a player is deciding if they want to spend something, AD, tradebars, zen, etc., to get the mount so they'd want to know the maximum potential before making that investment.

We also figured most players wouldn't want to spend the time to do the math every time they looked at their owned mount powers to see that something had a value of 12,000 and then multiply that by their 37% bolster which is why the tooltip does all of that math automatically.

There is always room to adjust displays. And we can explore those, but I think you'll also find that every option has a tradeoff due to the isolated nature of the mount parts.
    edited October 2020

Hey @rockster#6227

@nitocris83

25% shows 1875.
    33% shows 1995.

No, it does not show the max quality (again, I don't own it). The tooltip is wrong.</p>

Max quality is the rank only, it has nothing to do with bolster. It always uses your current bolster. It doesn't change the border icon or anything else. It simply plugs Mythic quality values into the tooltip formula if you don't own the power at all.
    @noworries#8859

So,
    1. you basically say what I see in an Epic mount in AH is not what I will get (if I don't own such thing). How do I plan the purchase?

2. Can you explain this:

A toon that has 22% bolster shows 9150 deflection in a Epic owlbear in AH. ?????? <----
    Another toon with the same 22% bolster shows 1830 deflection for the same mount. ???? <----

If you have interest to take a look at my account,
    the character Battle Chaser has 25% Bolster. The tooltip of Epic Owlbear in AH shows +1875 Deflection.
    the character Battle Storm has 22% Bolster. The tooltip of Epic Owlbear in AH shows +1830 Deflection.
    the character Battle Alita has 22% Bolster. The tooltip of Epic Owlbear in AH shows +9150 Deflection.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

Hey @rockster#6227

@nitocris83

25% shows 1875.
    33% shows 1995.

@noworries#8859

So,
    1. you basically say what I see in an Epic mount in AH is not what I will get (if I don't own such thing). How do I plan the purchase?

2. Can you explain this:

A toon that has 22% bolster shows 9150 deflection in a Epic owlbear in AH. ??????
    What is the quality of the mount that has that same power for each of those toon? If you have a green or white mount with that same deflection power, the AH tooltip will show it at that quality+Bolster, but if the third toon has an epic mount with Deflection, they see a higher deflection amount because of the maxed owned.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited October 2020

It has no knowledge of the rank of the mount that it is in a pack with when unowned. That is the issue.

Mounts being broken up into pieces of the costume, slots, passive, combat power means that they don't know the info of each other. They're all fully independent items (which is why when they switched to that system they didn't have mount upgrades).

So a system was built where the passive power looks through the mount slots inventory on your character for matching tags. It finds all of the matching tags, and then takes the highest one to use as its value. So if you have a green quality mount, a purple, and an orange all of which gave the same passive power, it will know to use the orange as the value.

This means when it is unowned it is finding nothing. We felt the most informative solution was to show what that value would be when it was mythic since a player is deciding if they want to spend something, AD, tradebars, zen, etc., to get the mount so they'd want to know the maximum potential before making that investment.

We also figured most players wouldn't want to spend the time to do the math every time they looked at their owned mount powers to see that something had a value of 12,000 and then multiply that by their 37% bolster which is why the tooltip does all of that math automatically.

There is always room to adjust displays. And we can explore those, but I think you'll also find that every option has a tradeoff due to the isolated nature of the mount parts.
    Ok. I understand that the client is responsible for generating the tooltips, and that the information about the detailed content of the package is just not available in the client until you open it. However the client(obviously) know about the mount in general and the various levels of quality its powers can have.

The most important thing here is to make the display consistent. It really needs to display the same type of value each time you look at it, regardless of whether you own it or not and regardless of your bolster status.

Within those constraints:
    My suggestion would be to display the mythic value always, without any bolster modifications. And to add an an explaining text in the tooltip saying that this is max unbolstered value, and that the actual value you get will be different depending on its rank and your bolster status.

The best solution would however be to include the necessary information in the mount package to generate exact tooltips.. but I guess that is a lot more work, you probably would have to do changes to the client-server protocol.
    Bottom line, when the average player is looking to buy a mount and looks at the tooltip in the AH they will want to see what they get after buying it then and there, this is just confusing AF. Why can't the tooltip show what you will get then and there, and what is possible later on also. Put both, there is room on the tooltip. A tooltip gives you the info you need but the info it is giving people right now is info they need less than the info which is missing. This is just confusing when you are in a real-time situation and wanting to invest AD into an item from the AH to increase your stats then and there which is how it usually goes in this game when you are not yet ranked up fully yet. It's not telling you what you will get. It's telling you what you might get one day far into the future if you level up everything to max. That's not what people need to see in a tooltip on an unbound item in the AH they have not yet bought.
    Because another issue is that it's also currently showing a mythic value for an epic item which makes no sense. Does an epic weapon enchantment in the AH show the values for leg which a buyer might get one day under certain conditions? Of course not. They can be eventually upgraded too and give the player higher stats but they show what they give there and then at their current level which is what someone is buying there and then and getting immediately when equipped.
    edited October 2020
    arazith07 said:

Hey @rockster#6227

@nitocris83

25% shows 1875.
    33% shows 1995.

@noworries#8859

So,

2. Can you explain this:

A toon that has 22% bolster shows 9150 deflection in a Epic owlbear in AH. ??????
    What is the quality of the mount that has that same power for each of those toon? If you have a green or white mount with that same deflection power, the AH tooltip will show it at that quality+Bolster, but if the third toon has an epic mount with Deflection, they see a higher deflection amount because of the maxed owned.
    If this is the case (it looks like it is), it is even more confusing.
    When I right click the Epic Owlbear in AH, it shows "Combat Power: Tunnel Vision" and "Equip Power: untouchable".
    So, it is not about the mount you own or not. It is about the mount's equip power you own or not?

In addition, the 3rd toon does NOT have an epic mount with untouchable and it has the maxed. The other toons have epic mount with untouchable and it shows lower value (right value?).

In short,
    1. I guess one will not able to figure out what you will get by looking at the tooltip of the mount.
    2. If you see a higher number, it is a number you will not get (without upgrading the mount)
    3. if you see a lower number, it is a number to tell you not to bother to buy such mount because you already have another one in your stable to get the same thing (unless you want the skin).

Post edited by plasticbat on

Because another issue is that it's also currently showing a mythic value for an epic item which makes no sense. Does an epic weapon enchantment in the AH show the values for leg which a buyer might get one day under certain conditions? Of course not. They can be eventually upgraded too and give the player higher stats but they show what they give there and then at their current level which is what someone is buying there and then and getting immediately when equipped.

Enchantments are a different item for each rank. When you upgrade an enchantment, the rank you have is destroyed and the new rank item is created in its place. Because of that it always knows exactly where it is and doesn't use a dynamic tooltip that changes based on conditions.

With mounts, you upgrade a mount slot item, not the power itself. The power is 100% separate from this item. The power also comes from multiple mounts. Because of these reasons it is using a dynamic tooltip which is actively looking at the current conditions to be able to display the correct current value when you own it.

With how our engine is currently setup, it cannot show the value it has in relation to the pack it is in when unowned. It doesn't know what rank those slots are to reference the value.

Options on what it can show:

A static value. This could either be the static value of what it provides at Mythic, or potentially the value it is at any single rank (could show legendary, could show lowest rank, etc). - Issue with this solution is not only would a player not know the exact value they're getting out of the pack when they acquire it, they will also never know the value it is giving them once they own it either (unless it is at the rank which matches the static value). This also wouldn't factor in bolster which means players would always have to do math on the items they own to figure out what value it is providing.

A static value with bolster. This would be similar to above, but would now factor in bolster. - This still has the downsides of not knowing what it is before you buy it, and not knowing what it is when you own it unless it matches the rank of the static value. But when it does match that rank, it now gives the exact value * bolster.

Dynamic quality value without bolster. This would allow players who own the item to see what it is currently getting as a value from quality and would always match up to what it is giving. - For unowned we'd still have to pick either a default quality or 0. Players who own the item would need to do their own math to see what they were really getting with their bolster applied.

Dynamic quality value with bolster. This is what we went with. For people who own the power it will always tell them the exact accurate amount of stats they are receiving, no math required. For unowned we needed to decide what it would show. We went with the mythic quality level. While this doesn't tell a player what they will get from the item the moment they purchase it (unless the slots are at mythic quality already), it does allow a player to compare with other powers they own since it factors in their bolster. We figured this would be the best option to allow players to compare since they can look at the value of the power in the pack, and look at their other powers they own which also have their same bolster applied. This comparison is harder if the player doesn't have any powers that are at mythic quality.

If the majority of the player base wants a different setup for the tooltips, we can look into changing that. However, there currently is no solution with our tech where we can show you the actual value you're getting from the items when owned and the value it would pop out of a pack as when unowned.