test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

anyone else having issues with cast delays?

lissblissb Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited October 2020 in Bug Reports (PC)
dunno if it's a problem with my connection, hence this thread and the title. I play a lvl 80 cw and I've noticed lately that all of my casts are delaying a good 5s from when I press the button until she actually casts, which sometimes leads me to taking damage that could've been avoided had she cast and killed the enemy. also, I've seen it mentioned before in another thread, but with shard of the endless avalanche the cast time is much much longer than what it says on the powers tab. and sometimes i'll cast shard otea and the boulder won't even appear on screen. she'll like mimic it and the enemy will take damage, but there'll be no sound and no visual.
I feel like cw has always been kinda glitchy, but it's gotten worse in the past couple of weeks. cast delay hadn't been a problem for me before. anyone else going through this or should I look for a better internet service? XD

Comments

• Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Does this happen consistently or during specific times of the day/week?
  • Options

Does this happen consistently or during specific times of the day/week?

I usually play around the same time bc work, so usually at night. and I've only started noticing the delays since maybe... the last patch? maybe this doesn't help much, I know it all sounds kinda vague, but it's been random D:
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I have notice all the keys are a bit laggy. The reason this happens is most likely network latency. When you notice this happening to you. Type in chat /netgraph 1 and you will see a green monitor in the lower right corner. Big spikes are big lags where the client is out of contact with the server. To turn the display off type /netgraph 0 this just will confirm my suspicions the network is being naughty. Not much we players can do about it.

More to the point when you press your key to cast, it has to send that to the server in California. I assume you are still in Los Gatos, CA @nitocris83 ? No big plans to move yet? Okay the server gets the key you pressed, checks for cool down, special effects, and whatnot... the whatnot is real important, trust me. Then the server tells the client what to do next. However latency can not only have you rubber-banding but also getting keystrokes long after you press them. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I hammered on "6" and shouted at the screen, "I pressed six! Damn you! EAT the blue healthstone... oh look I am dead.". This sort of thing I get irate and my husband reminds me, it is only a silly game.

Have fun! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options

I have notice all the keys are a bit laggy. The reason this happens is most likely network latency. When you notice this happening to you. Type in chat /netgraph 1 and you will see a green monitor in the lower right corner. Big spikes are big lags where the client is out of contact with the server. To turn the display off type /netgraph 0 this just will confirm my suspicions the network is being naughty. Not much we players can do about it.

More to the point when you press your key to cast, it has to send that to the server in California. I assume you are still in Los Gatos, CA @nitocris83 ? No big plans to move yet? Okay the server gets the key you pressed, checks for cool down, special effects, and whatnot... the whatnot is real important, trust me. Then the server tells the client what to do next. However latency can not only have you rubber-banding but also getting keystrokes long after you press them. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I hammered on "6" and shouted at the screen, "I pressed six! Damn you! EAT the blue healthstone... oh look I am dead.". This sort of thing I get irate and my husband reminds me, it is only a silly game.

Have fun! <3 </p>

thank you SO VERY MUCH for taking the time to write such a detailed explanation! <3 I'll try to keep all this in mind. figured it could be a network/connection thing, but who ever knows, right? XD
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    One thing you can try to help with it is to reboot your comp and your router.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    I'll put this here instead of making a new topic.

Recently I have found that sometimes, not all, when I hit my daily, the sound and character animation goes off, but the power does not proc and then I have to hit it again. Example of this is my main daily I use as a cleric is Hallowed Ground because it is versatile, I can be back fighting ranged and out of the way of splats but when I want to help-out the melee fighters I run right into the middle of them where they are fighting and set Hallowed Ground off and then dash back out of the way again and it sits there protecting them and giving a heal. But what is happening is that I run up and hit my daily, my character does the animation (kneels and closes arms) and it makes a sound, I leave it a second or two to proc then I dash back, and see that the golden circle is not there and it has not procced. I then have to rush back again and do it again and then the circle does appear. It only ever happens the one time for me, the second time I hit it it procs fine so it has never done it more than the first time. I also have had this happen (less frequently) on Staff of Flowers artifact which I pretty much use all the time as my default, I hit 3 to set it off and nothing happens and I have to hit it again to make it work. The daily one is doing it the most though and not proccing properly each time when it is hit.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.