test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

About the power

crusthelvetecrusthelvete Member Posts: 118 Arc User
Hej!

I did read somewhere if i reach for an example 199 power in combat, it is good. but if it goes for example 201 it is bad.
Reworking some stats here and i have 183 power atm, in combat it sometimes goes up too 203-210.

So why is it bad?
I may have seen some dmg lowering tho, but i have those under 200 aswell.

Sry my bad english

greets

Comments

• admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    https://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics/power

There is no loss of damage. Adding more power than you already have, there is only less damage gain.

So some players argue that after 200k of power it would be better to invest in critical severity, since even with a 50% chance there is more damage gain than investing in power, not to mention that critical severity has (or had, been a little out of date) synergy with combat advantage.

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    One thing thought, this is the up to date link:
    https://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics16/power

The other one is for pre-mod16 stuff.

In general, there is nothing special about 200k power, having 210k power is better than 190k, and 230k is better than 210k. There are maybe other things that also good for damage or heals or whatever, but more power is not a bad thing.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User

I'd like to point out that critical severity & +damage% boosts both suffer from relative diminishing returns, not just power. There is no amount where any of them change dramatically.

example: adding 1,000 power, will add a fixed amount to you DPS... and therefore your final damage. It does not matter whether you go from 50 to 51% or go from 240% to 241%. The amount added to your damage from the 1,000 power boost is the same.

Where 'diminishing returns' comes into play.. is when we talk about DPS% increase. In other words the ratio between new and old stat. if you increase your power from 200,000 to 220,000 your damage will increase by 6.7% (320,000/300,000). I added 100,000 to power when calculating because we already have 100,000 invisible power on our characters. The invisible power is what causes the 100% damage we deal when our power stat is at 0.

Critical severity works just like power, except you have to cut its increase in half, because it misses half the time.

Many players forget that damage boosts (most of them) work the same way. If you have an encounter power that is boosted by +80% damage. (encounter +3%, armor boost +5%, weapon mod +10%, mount damage mod +15%, skill mod +10%, strength mod +5%, character ability +25%, feat +5%, item +2%) it adds up. so... if your already getting this much and have to decide whether to add 5,000 power or a 3% damage boost... which is better? If, for you, 2,500 power increases damage by 1% the power is actually better than the game description of +3% damage boost.

• crusthelvetecrusthelvete Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Thank you all for answering, think i have a better look about this now :)
    Probably gonna read zimxero's answer some more more time xD