test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Revamping the companion system

2»

Comments

• vasile1991vasile1991 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 73 Arc User
    greywynd said:

It seems like a lot of programming work for very little payout.

With a good revamped system every companion could become relevant again. We'd have so much variety... You fail to see the issue.

Viperion - DragonTribe guild.
    Playing Ranger/Paladin/Bard/Fighter.
  • vasile1991vasile1991 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 73 Arc User
    In my opinion you're right, the companion system does need a rework and if done properly, probably every companion can become relevant once again.

They could give some combined rating as base stats and then some other stats which could make them more unique (e.g. some could give more crit, others more armor pen, etc) and a special power to use every X seconds (similar to mounts).However, I'd say it needs more variety than they did with the mounts.

Having some control over a companion's power can prove very useful in combat since the AI in this game is poor. I'd really like to use the companion's special power in some key timing of the fight (e.g. debuff or cc or heal at the right moment).

My only concern would be stat redistribution and bondings. People will rage if they'll lose stats. But I think with good combined ratings + some more customized stats per companion, there will be no problem.

I support this idea!

Viperion - DragonTribe guild.
    Playing Ranger/Paladin/Bard/Fighter.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,090 Arc User

With a good revamped system every companion could become relevant again. We'd have so much variety... You fail to see the issue.

"Oh, noes! Everyone is using the same companion! Where is the variety!?"

Yeah, I see the issue.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @the1truehunter the problem with your suggested revamp is this;

The developers are not falling for it. Chris Whiteside used the keyword "REDUCTION" while introducing himself to us. Your idea (regardless of my opinion about it) will not be implemented, as their goals is to make everything ultra simple, but remain convoluted enough the players believe there is an actual companion system.

Now for example; if you told the developers, definitely not us, that you have this great idea to make a cube mesh and call it companion "X" and thereby eliminate all the companion 3D mesh assets and textures from the game. They might listen to you, assuming you can make all the players happy about this new companion "X" cube. Their direction has been mini pets that do nothing and augments that do nothing and races that have no real affect on this game. I think you can see their trend?

Have fun! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    Still debating about suggestion how rework companions system?

Before that, perhaps firstly need to evaluate current companion system do everything work OK.
    Then think about solution how fix it..

Simply throwing changes can lead to bigger mess, which would require more time to clean up and fix.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    they already said xuna and chicken were working as intended (although they did nerf chicken a little already) ofc you are going to do less personal damage because in optimizing for your companion you are equipping yourself like a nub. I think it's a great equalizer. Everyone has the same ability to do damage in a dungeon right now regardless of how nerfed into the ground your class is. I think they left it with two harder to obtain comps because they can make money off at least one of them. how long did we all just use the tiger? it's teh way this game has always worked. there is only ever one choice for a workable companion. before that everyone had archons and sellswords.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I would buff all active companion damage by about 10%, except Xuna and Abyssal Chicken, which I'd nerf by about 20%. I'd turn the runestone slots into something completely different. Companions would gain stats by leveling to 50 (mythic unlocks at 45) These stats would get a 1% buff per companion owned, up to 100% max extra bonus. Companion Experience packs would not work after level 40. We would be forced to play the final 10 levels up.

Ideas for the 3 runestone slots (removed):

1) TRINKET - Campaign currency boosts - purchased or dropped
    2) BOOSTER - AD/Gold/Glory/ or healing potion boosts
    3) SYMBOL/MARK - Speed, Companion Influence, Control Bonus, or other non-primary impacting boosts.

Players would be allowed to convert bonding stones into ANY other stone (bound to account), or trade them in for half of their value in the Tarmalune Trade Bar store.
    edited October 2020
    if you nerf xuna and chicken any more you will just doom them to being unused again. buffing the others by 10% would not be enough to make them worth while. part of the trade off of gearing to make your pet do a lot of damage pretty much insures you personally will not be doing a lot of damage.

I'm having fun in this game for the first time in ages because of the novelty of this. I've really missed having a different build and a different build that you could play with and tweak for different and better results and having a companion to play with.
    Post edited by thefiresidecat on
  • the1truehunterthe1truehunter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 211 Arc User
    I just made a chicken build and I already crashed two times in two different dungeons necause there was another person using it. 😊 So the game works just fine "as intended"

• karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    Yeah, getting rid of bonding stones would be a mistake. As is, our stats are in large part dependent on the gear/stats of our companion/augment X bonding stones.

210% of the stats provided by my augment is not something I want to replace.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    @thefiresidecat which of those companions are they making money?? I don't see Xuna in the Zen market, we just got a coupon 100% off companion from the market. I think we would see a lot more Xuna in the game, if she was available from the market. I believe the one for sale in the AH is from dungeon chests. I never put a lot of stock into the Xuna hype either.

I do agree players (think) there is one "god mode" companion. I only picked Xuna from the anniversary choice box because I didn't care for the Lich. I found her to be satisfactory but not god like. She can be an issue, drawing in too many mobs with her bloodbath.

I never base my companion choices on stats and I never went with the boiler plate builds. Dirk just happened to select the Con Artist and everyone started talking on about the "3 ring business" back in the day. I picked him because Dirk is half elf and it fit into his history. Dirk switched to the Skeleton later on, because of story. Llorna has been near forever with her Renegade Invoker husband. I recently did a test and found he is doing 21% of their total damage. @zimxero#8085 's idea of adding +10% buff would only put him up to 23% damage. What would be the point of that weak of an upgrade? I imagine as the game advances into the future, the roles of augment and companion could get flipped and the push will be on to grab companions again.

They just went through a mess of stuff with remaking the companion system. While they may nerf a companion or buff another, they will not be hankering to rebuild the entire companion system anytime soon. Unless of course it is just to dispose of it. Augments may as well be another enchantment you wear on your character. I figure they might plan to "reduce" all the companions to just an item "in name only" that perform nothing other than a personal buff. All those 2 menus are much more simple, than making a 3D artificial intelligence that will fight and perform functions in battle.

Edit: added stats for Starblade and Xuna.

Starblade and Xuna was tested and Xuna is doing 33% of the damage on that team. Nerfing her 20% would only drop her to 27% damage. I really don't see any of this as an issue.
    Post edited by sandukutupu on
    wb-cenders.gif
    edited October 2020
    she was just available in the refinement pack and people opened A LOT of those. I think they make most of their money from spot sales. not long term things available in the store.