test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are there no mercenary guilds??

ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
Back when the game premiered, I bought the Castle Never weapons and gear then used those weapons and gear to farm those same weapons and gear to sell to others. Unfortunately the developers seem to be dead set against unbound weapon drops. So my question is:

Why are there no Mercenary guilds?

I find it strange we aren't seeing call-outs in PE, "ToMM or Zariel carries 200k/run." I know there are plenty of people who want the weapons and would be willing to pay for them.

The potential income is ENORMOUS. But only for those powerful enough to carry. I just can't understand why it hasn't already happened. I watched 5 people do ToMM.

Comments

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    In name only, we are actually a troop of role-players, but Shava's Guild of Mercenaries is a stronghold full of people such as Goro Thay who do perform deeds for pay. The guild was founded by @sameriker who remains the Guild Leader to this day. When we meet in game we perform our art on the spot in Zone chat. No back room whispers for us, none of us hang out in Moonstone Mask, at least none that I know of anyway.

I know you are not asking about RPing, but you could run this idea by @sameriker as he is more into the casual action less of the role-play.

Have fun! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    If you have the idea, why aren't YOU doing it?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    greywynd said:

If you have the idea, why aren't YOU doing it?

Right? There are none because you haven't made one yet. Go for it!
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Markets and services generally develop where the demand exists and makes it worthwhile. Either players are already in general getting the runs they need without paying (perhaps simply by joining a decent guild), or the mechanics of getting a couple carries together, then getting some customers lined up, then doing the run, then splitting the pay - don't pay as well as other activities.

However, if you think the idea is viable, put it together and make yourself enormously rich or enormously disappointed. The world is your oyster!
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    This is a common practice in Guild Wars where we would offer "runs" to players to Lion's Arch, Drok's Forge, and Ferry to Docks. The payment here would have to be in material items as we cannot trade AD directly, So it would be more like "ToMM or Zariel carries 5xGMoPs/run." or something to that wording. I never ran anyone to Drok's Forge, it was quite the feat. I did run some people from Ascalon to Lion's Arch. The idea of having multiple characters doing the same route over and over was not appealing to all players. I did not mind doing it.

Issues were apparently not getting paid, some runners wanted 10% up front or 50% at the half way point. If they didn't get paid, word got around as for who you should avoid. The other end of the stick was scam runners, who got paid up front and split with the gold. All of those issues were rare but indeed real issues of any in game service offered.

wb-cenders.gif
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Beni : Unfortunately, no. These Americans are smart. They pay me only half now, half when I get them back to Cairo. So this time I must go all the way.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • nooneatzanooneatza Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    Someone tried it once, people jumped at his throat saying all manners of unholy things to the guy.
    Out of all the mmos ive played neverwinter is pretty much the only one where saying you sell carry runs gets you into trouble and on ignore lists.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    ph33rm3 said:

Back when the game premiered, I bought the Castle Never weapons and gear then used those weapons and gear to farm those same weapons and gear to sell to others. Unfortunately the developers seem to be dead set against unbound weapon drops. So my question is:

Why are there no Mercenary guilds?

I find it strange we aren't seeing call-outs in PE, "ToMM or Zariel carries 200k/run." I know there are plenty of people who want the weapons and would be willing to pay for them.

The potential income is ENORMOUS. But only for those powerful enough to carry. I just can't understand why it hasn't already happened. I watched 5 people do ToMM.

I'd never ask for a compensation nor I consider playing with my friends as "carrying someone". I find that to be extremely vulgar, unethical, and wouldn't make me feel good about my friends or acquaintances feeling like they're not good enough. I always tend to encourage others to learn the mechanics and play properly. However, not everyone wants to do this as they do not want to immerse themselves to that extent. IMO, they'd rather "get carried" which is the reason why I do not mind mercenary guilds as a concept, as long as there are no exploits involved nor the lack of class balance that we had in the past with 4buff1dps metas.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    nooneatza said:

Someone tried it once, people jumped at his throat saying all manners of unholy things to the guy.
    Out of all the mmos ive played neverwinter is pretty much the only one where saying you sell carry runs gets you into trouble and on ignore lists.

Once? I recall it being a meta for a period of around 2 months.

If Neverwinter had multiple servers, like many MMOs out there do, then a few servers having this agenda set would be no issue. Since we've only ONE International server, this is an issue due to the conflict of interests. Furthermore, back in the days weapon damage bonus was a big deal. Nowadays, not so much. Things are going at a steadier, slowed down pace, which is a nice thing for a change.

THE 4BUFF1DPS META:
    I always laugh when I remember one argument given to me on the forums : It went something like "The reason why Great Weapon Fighter was having the most damage is because he has "Great" in the name, and Weapon Fighter does not".

I recall a specific scenario in MOD14 or MOD15 when GWFs were having crazy damage due to the attack speed, Prominence Enchantment, and the "Unstoppable" mechanic. Since CODG was still a relatively new thing, when there was a 2xstones on the calendar, GWF's would ask for a full compensation in Stones and/or Coalescent wards or Preservation wards in advance only to carry a group of nine other people. This left me with a horrible experience and anger. And I'm sure I wasn't the only one feeling that way. Cleric would simply bind specific powers on the GWF, giving him more power. This was the culmination of a much bigger problem which was extremely potent buffing and extremely potent support role, that would require only 1 dps in a regular 5ppl party, or 1-3 dps in a 10ppl raid, making all other classes to play a buff role, even if the buff was barely noticeable. This, on its own, wouldn't be so much of an issue, but GWFs of that era had a horrid personality to follow and an aura of elitism that was hard to reason with.
    Back then, you had to build your toon a specific way or you didn't play. You'd get kicked, there was no other way around it. If a GWF didn't like you, you get kicked. If a Cleric didn't like you, you get kicked. Good luck finding a group.
    Since so many people disliked this premise of the game, and so many vitriolic people supported it, when MOD16 came and put a stop to all of that nonsence, most of the GWFs (now Barbarians) stopped playing as they were not godlike beings anymore

THE EXPERIENCE:
    Because this creates horrible experience for everyone involved, bar those entitled enough to do such a thing, I'm rather against it as it creates issues in case there is a necessity for class balance down the road. And this class balance thing takes forever to kick in, making the players to accept something that's exploitable as the new meta, and then rushing to defend it when it gets nerfed. And every single time this was the case lol
    In the past days on the forum, some people were defending the 4buff1dps meta, stating that it's the only way to play and any deviation from this on the forums was harshly attacked by those that had interest to keep the things the way they were due to the profitable nature. It also makes them to evade any guilt as they're simply using the situation, rather than calling for the changes and openly speaking up against the developer's decision to create something that makes no sense (which also happens).
    It also breaks the game as it makes people to hold onto positions and attack others in one way or another on the forums and from within the game. This creates POLITICS within the game, and I do not play this because of the politics.
    We already had people trying to manipulate AH by mobbing the unreasonable undercutters (which they still do), trying to manipulate custom channels (which they still do), trying to manipulate all sorts of things that creates an unpleasant feel to it and reverts many players from even playing the game. Since we've people of many ages playing this game, as well as many cultures, it can become rather hard to reason with people on the basis of mutual interest.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language