test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Multiclass

I was watching some videos on youtube and I came across Multiclass - is this a DnD thing? Wellllllll - know what I'm trying to get at? Yes! How about NW had a Multiclass paradigm - where we can switch across classes - maybe u can have a class switch to another and have go at anything you want! Like instead of using alts all the time! Or have alts to level up - say to l60 - then make the class available to all the alts above l60 - or something like that! Seems like a good thing to work on - thanks for the time!

Comments

• kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    The devs would have to re-design the whole game. Not even a possibility, you could triple the dev staff and it would not happen. Also, Cryptic would much rather sell you another character slot and make you level and gear it up.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    Yeah, way too much work.

The game is built to work a certain way and multiclass is nowhere in that system.

Not as "level 30 paladin, level 50 cleric" as it would be in the PnP game, and certainly not as "I get to play one character and level them up to 80 in every class and pick which one I want to use at any given time".

The former would require an entirely new design, the latter would still require significant changes and would almost certainly lose profitability.
    Neither of those are going to happen.
  • oktlryk#2717 oktlryk Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    Yes - But if the code were modular you know how it would go - just add OOP classes to add multiclass abilities!! lol - I mean if the code were - which I think someone mentioned was really spaghetti code - since it was a really old code base - but if the producers decide to clean it - it could happen - lol - update the code and reap more productivity.

For instance - classes would all fit into the generic DnD Class - which could then have main class attribute. When you multiclass you could then expand or compose the main class as multiclass - a new variant class of DnD Class. These could all have the info required and processed in the rest of the game - simple and clean!

Just a very light example of how it could be implemented - l8er!!!
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    The new class is on the "drafting table" for sometime around September 2021. We are told it is some type of DPS for now. I know most people are speculating on either Bard or Monk. I always felt the best new and last class for this game would be a free form. They made free form for Champions years ago, players still pay cash money to buy the free form class slots on Champions to this day. It would be close to what you are asking about, where you could build your custom class from the various existing powers. The "real trick" would be, having points to spend on each power, making sure any combination of powers didn't upset the game, and prevent building supermen to break the game.

At this point, I am not interesting in getting a new class. My husband says, with this company's history, anything they make at this point will indeed break the game for years to come. He has cited how in Spring of 2015 they introduced the Oathbound Paladin and for a long time people complained about them being over powered. After juggling nerfs and blessings with all the classes, since that time, they still haven't maintain a good balance of the classes. So much to the affect, that PvP is just not seriously played here anymore.

Don't feel bad about people here laughing at the idea. It does work on Champions, which is the core this game was built upon. I am not forecasting the free form to be the next class. Although, I think it would be the right direction, I imagine they will just create a lame or overpowered class, and utilize the existing base powers to call it monk, bard, or even druid. It isn't that tough to add a druid class when you are fighting druids and dryads in the game already. A monk is nothing more than a brawling cleric, I doubt they will even need to add more animations. Bards exist as NPCs throughout the game, but I am not betting on the bard being the next class to come in 2021.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User

Yes - But if the code were modular you know how it would go - just add OOP classes to add multiclass abilities!! lol - I mean if the code were - which I think someone mentioned was really spaghetti code - since it was a really old code base - but if the producers decide to clean it - it could happen - lol - update the code and reap more productivity.

For instance - classes would all fit into the generic DnD Class - which could then have main class attribute. When you multiclass you could then expand or compose the main class as multiclass - a new variant class of DnD Class. These could all have the info required and processed in the rest of the game - simple and clean!

Seriously, statements (in a software development context) that start with "Yes, but you just have to..." only come from very inexperienced software developers.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

I was watching some videos on youtube and I came across Multiclass - is this a DnD thing? Wellllllll - know what I'm trying to get at? Yes! How about NW had a Multiclass paradigm - where we can switch across classes - maybe u can have a class switch to another and have go at anything you want! Like instead of using alts all the time! Or have alts to level up - say to l60 - then make the class available to all the alts above l60 - or something like that! Seems like a good thing to work on - thanks for the time!

Two words. Double. Nerf.
    Keep in mind that WotC has the power here.

D&D uses classes, each with access to abilities that make them more or less distinct from every other class.
    The class system is one of the defining characteristics of the game.

Why would WotC authorize some generic 'pick-a-power as you go' class that bears no resemblance to anything in the actual game?

And after mod 16 and all the work at streamlining classes they did, now Cryptic is going to introduce one class that makes every other class obsolete and offers so many possible build combinations that balancing becomes nigh impossible?

And I am not saying that they did a great job with M16, but that just emphasizes the point even beyond whether WotC would approve.

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Unrealistic, and not going to happen.

This discussion is utterly pointless. There are, however, some MMORPGs that are like this, and maybe you can find what you are looking for there.
    Hoping for improvements...
    Well I guess experienced coders did lend their 2 cents! lol - well anyway - it's just a post guys! No Need 4 D-R-A-M! Digital Recording stuff and so on - well - thanks for the comments all the same! And DnD has multiclass - look at the YouTube vid - and most of these classes implement DnD computations - maybe not 100% faithful - multiclass has it's own set - and in the end it would balance out!
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    edited September 2020

Well I guess experienced coders did lend their 2 cents! lol - well anyway - it's just a post guys! No Need 4 D-R-A-M! Digital Recording stuff and so on - well - thanks for the comments all the same! And DnD has multiclass - look at the YouTube vid - and most of these classes implement DnD computations - maybe not 100% faithful - multiclass has it's own set - and in the end it would balance out!

They can only follow the general direction of what WoTC ask them to. Usually, that means promoting their story line. If they want to add class, they should add the missing DnD classes before thinking about multiclass.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited September 2020

What "DnD" has multiclass?

You are not telling me anything if you are saying that the pen and paper game has multiclassing. I already acknowledged that. I imagine I could explain multiclassing and dual-classing as it appeared in AD&D far better than you could.
    But what the PnP game has would not work here in the game as designed. You seem to be ignoring that.

As D&D has worked over the years, multiclassing would basically be either:

A ) A "true" multiclass:

Players would trade higher-level abilities in order to access extra lower-level abilities from multiple classes.
    If I was a level 50 paladin and a level 30 cleric, for example, multiclassing would, in theory, allow me to mix paladin and cleric powers as well as assume any role since all are available between the two classes, though I would be limited to only those paladin abilities that were available at level 50 and lower, and cleric abilities that were available at level 30 and below.

What if I want to equip my cleric/paladin with a holy symbol but use paladin close-combat abilities? Sure, they could hold their sword up in the air and use cleric powers, but hitting bad guys with their holy symbol in close combat?
    What would missions that reward class-specific loot offer me? Would I get to pick between the paladin reward and the cleric reward?

This would require a massive redesign of the game.

OR

B ) A "dual class" approach:

Players would be able to level multiple classes on a single character and switch back and forth as they wish, probably limited in the same ways that switching roles/builds is limited.

This would decrease cash flow for the game.
    A single character could provide all the variety that currently requires 10 classes (and will be 11 within the year), which means that a player would need a lot less in the way of bank slots, artifact upgrading, companions and mounts and upgrades for the same, and on and on.

How would gear rewards work here? I am a warlock/wizard/barbarian/fighter/ranger/cleric/paladin/rogue and I am about to get some class-specific reward. Do I get everything? Do I only get the reward for the class I ran the quest as? That I accepted the quest as? That I turned in the quest as?

This would also require a lot of work under the hood.

So which is it?

Which approach are you looking at, or is it something else?

Because neither of those seem "simple and clean" to me.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights all say hello...but then those are all turn based games that literally takes the pen and paper rules and codify it. DDO I believe has Multiclassing as well, but as far as action MMOs...there are none. As far as Neverwinter goes, with the current system, it would be incredibly difficult to code and at that point you may as well just make a new game from the ground up.

They can only follow the general direction of what WoTC ask them to. Usually, that means promoting their story line. If they want to add class, they should add the missing DnD classes before thinking about multiclass.
    To some degree this is true. However it more pertains to how they effect IP (intellectual properties) and not game mechanics as much. If what you said was 100% true, then our characters would not do damage in the thousands and have health in the hundreds of thousands. Makos would not exist at all, as he is a creation of Cryptic Studios and not Wizards of the Coast. Wizards of the Coast apparently has the right to claim Makos and others characters, as they have appeared in other D&D branded games now. Cryptic Studios has made changes to lore and even the demeanor of Lord Dagult Neverember, as he is not quick tempered, racially bias and abusive toward demi-humans, and flirtatious with female adventurers. I believe that was done to make his character more politically correct. I imagine Cryptic also has to sit at the table and discuss such changes with the Hasbro representatives. But from what I have seen and heard, the Wizards of Coast takes a very neutral position at most of these meetings. This was so very obvious when Cryptic added the PAX YouTubers to module 15 Acquisitions Incorporated, but it also didn't stop Hasbro from making game books based on A.I. adventures.

While it is my husband's opinion that plans to make a new class will be game breaking, I don't think it has to be, assuming they test it on Preview for more than a few weeks. In the past, they pop it out as a last minute surprise and no one but a scant few beta testers have even been allow to touch it. They need to check this over months of real game play and sadly very few players will test on an open Preview. While I don't see it as game breaking, I always expect bug, glitches, and exploits upon release.
    wb-cenders.gif

To some degree this is true. However it more pertains to how they effect IP (intellectual properties) and not game mechanics as much. If what you said was 100% true, then our characters would not do damage in the thousands and have health in the hundreds of thousands. Makos would not exist at all, as he is a creation of Cryptic Studios and not Wizards of the Coast. Wizards of the Coast apparently has the right to claim Makos and others characters, as they have appeared in other D&D branded games now. Cryptic Studios has made changes to lore and even the demeanor of Lord Dagult Neverember, as he is not quick tempered, racially bias and abusive toward demi-humans, and flirtatious with female adventurers. I believe that was done to make his character more politically correct. I imagine Cryptic also has to sit at the table and discuss such changes with the Hasbro representatives. But from what I have seen and heard, the Wizards of Coast takes a very neutral position at most of these meetings. This was so very obvious when Cryptic added the PAX YouTubers to module 15 Acquisitions Incorporated, but it also didn't stop Hasbro from making game books based on A.I. adventures.

While it is my husband's opinion that plans to make a new class will be game breaking, I don't think it has to be, assuming they test it on Preview for more than a few weeks. In the past, they pop it out as a last minute surprise and no one but a scant few beta testers have even been allow to touch it. They need to check this over months of real game play and sadly very few players will test on an open Preview. While I don't see it as game breaking, I always expect bug, glitches, and exploits upon release.
    That is why I said "general direction".
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

You do know that Acquisitions Inc is DM'd by the WotC senior story designer right?

It's been stated that players will be testing the new class in both open and closed beta for months and that it won't be *long* before we are told what that new class is (I think it will be revealed early next year).
  • vastano#2343 vastano Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights all say hello...but then those are all turn based games that literally takes the pen and paper rules and codify it. DDO I believe has Multiclassing as well, but as far as action MMOs...there are none. As far as Neverwinter goes, with the current system, it would be incredibly difficult to code and at that point you may as well just make a new game from the ground up.

i cna confirm ddo does have multiclassing i had a 10 monk 8 ranger 2 fighter monkcher and for a while it was best class in game (remember in ddo even though cap is 30 you get 20 class levels and 10 epic levels)
    also best tank in ddo when i left was 18 cleric 2 pally
    personally i would love multiclassing here would give so much more buil;d potential and maybe just maybe stop the "if you aint x wearing y and wielding z then you cant join my party"
    lets be honest as far as getting toward endgame on neverwinter is concerned its all about right class with right feats and got to have bis gear or you aint getting nowhere and i feel thats quite boring

lets be honest as far as getting toward endgame on neverwinter is concerned its all about right class with right feats and got to have bis gear or you aint getting nowhere and i feel thats quite boring

Sadly, the direction they took is toward 'boring' when they removed the previous feat and boon system. They want it to be 'simple'.
    Well - I think there's too much confusion in the group on this thread - I hope you guys don't get too worked up - lol - In most aspects of DnD - it's a lot bigger then you might imagine in fact I've even heard rumors of this really being a bubbleverse inside a super hyperspace reality - in which Faerun really exists! It's not a joke!

But as far as these games go, I think multiclassing isn't rocket science and IDK why you guys commented negatively and rubbished it and the corporation making this game or even me! LoL! In any case I hope you can take it a little easy on the Cryptic is insane angle - which is pretty boring - in my opinion Cryptic is just like any other corporate entity - and they're to be praised for having this game - even if it's kinda in need of more material sometimes - and that's not really a bad thing to say about them - lol - and thank you again but please try to stick to gameplay stuff and not get to fanatical - lol - and finally - multiclassing is just a more complex class - like any other class - it's not rocket science!

As for the guy who knew this stuff well - I think you should start a thread!!! IDK the answers like you said but someone may!

L8ER!
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Be realistic.

First, the direction of Neverwinter is to reduce (preferably eliminate) character customization in any area that really matters. Fixed initial stats, reduced effects of additional stat points, ineffective and badly-thougt out boons, half of the powers useless, limited gear choices - all this mean that there is very little variability in builds and playstyle in the end. Adding multiclassing would absolutely work against that, and would work against the apparent goal of making everyone alike.

Second, adding multiclassing is complex, and given the number of issues we have seen (the Bel disaster, for example), I have zero faith in the ability of the development team to pull off anything of that complexity.

Third, it makes no financial sense. They just do not have the recources needed, and would have to increase the development staff - but they seem to have pulled most of the people over to work on the new game. So, this would be expensive, but it is doubtful whether there would be any increasi in income to compensate.

Fourth, the game is nearing the end of its life cycle. They will continue to update it and make additions while the game remains profitable, but I would not be surprised to see it go into "maintenance mode" in a couple of years. You do not make major changes to something if you have already decided to let it die slowly.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User

[...] But from what I have seen and heard, the Wizards of Coast takes a very neutral position at most of these meetings. This was so very obvious when Cryptic added the PAX YouTubers to module 15 Acquisitions Incorporated [...]

Oh, how I wish that they had not taken a neutral position, but rather stopped Cryptic from implementing this utter garbage mod....

Well - I think there's too much confusion in the group on this thread - I hope you guys don't get too worked up - lol - In most aspects of DnD - it's a lot bigger then you might imagine in fact I've even heard rumors of this really being a bubbleverse inside a super hyperspace reality - in which Faerun really exists! It's not a joke!

I started a thread here about the D&D Multiverse not long ago. I am not heavily informed about all the D&D universes but even World of Warcraft is apparently a D&D universe. Basically anytime a new concept is made another universe is formed. Greyhawk was one of the first created by Gygax and Blackmoor was the original by Dave Arneson.

But in the end, it is all fiction and fantasy and we can do as we please. <3
    wb-cenders.gif