test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Race Balance

fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
IMHO races need to be balanced. I know that this may not be a hot topic but races are highly unbalanced.

Dragonborn for example get...

Draconic Heritage: You receive 5% more healing from all spells and abilities.
Ability Scores: Grants you +2 to any two stats.
Dragonborn Fury: You gain a bonus 1500 Critical Strike and 3% increased damage.

Humans only get...

Versatile Defense: You gain a bonus 250 points to all of your ratings (Offense and Defensive stats).
Ability Scores: +3 to Any Ability Score.

Versatile defense is totally useless, especially compared to the 3% more damage dragonborns get. On top of that you get one less ability score point.

Please consider balancing races. Humans could get 2500 points instead of 250 (scaled with level). Or make that 3%-5% additional ratings instead.

What do you think?

Comments

• autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    Then why would anyone pay for new races? Like it or not, Neverwinter is a business is needs to make money. Not saying I like it or not, it's just the way it is.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User

Then why would anyone pay for new races? Like it or not, Neverwinter is a business is needs to make money. Not saying I like it or not, it's just the way it is.

Dragonborn is a free race, isn't it? Also, there are better free options than humans. Having to pay for a race is a weak argument.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Dragonborn is NOT a free race! Originally you had to pay $75 or get lucky with lockbox prizes for either of the Dragonborn. I know there have been recent promotions where you could buy for only $10 and you can also buy with AD on the AH. But that is only after 5 years of it being out. It needed to be better enough for people to willingly spend the money otherwise they would not make the sale.

You'll find that Aasimars are similarly more powerful than all the other races aside from Dragonborn. You have to pay $50 plus spend about 112 hours of grinding to be able to unlock it. And for some, it's just not worth the price.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,214 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    In addition, the trade off of Dragonborn is: it is ugly. My conspiracy theory (from my back end) is it was intentional not allowing player to cover its face to make sure everyone can see its ugliness.

By the way, Human was also a special race in the past. Human had more feat (before they changed everything in mod 16).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    As stated, Dragonborn had to be purchased. Still do.

Aasimar have to be purchased.

The fact is that there are not too many people that will be too eager to pay money for a race that is no better than any of the free races in the game.

Some people will. There may be some people that love Gnomes, for example, so much that if they were on par with Dwarves and Halflings in terms of power that they may still pay money to have access to them, but that number will be lower than those that would pay if they were stronger.

But this might be the path to getting more and more new races. If they can make them more powerful, but not *TOO* powerful, and it becomes a decent income stream for the game then we should expect some more new races.

They can mix up how they are offered, too. Just a race for X much, as part of a package for Y, etc. I just hope that they do not decide to make races that are exceptionally strong for more money.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,214 Arc User
    Gith was free for unlock when it was introduced. It is not free anymore. All the race that has a lock symbol in 'Creation' are not free.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Besides Gith, Menzoberranzan Renegade and Moon Elf aren't free either but aren't stronger than the average race.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    Ok, let's ignore races you have to buy. The free races are nevertheless unbalanced. A tiefling gets 2.5% more damage (5% more for HP under 50% is roughly equal to 2.5%). This is way better than what humans get, which is practically nothing.

I agree though, dragonborn are ugly. That's why I will not switch, regardless of them giving the best bonus IMHO.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    The races aren't supposed to be equal. Each had something beneficial that the others could not provide.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • highlyunstablehighlyunstable Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
    Seriously.... what do you want? Every Race to have the exact same abilities, stats, bonus' ? Why not just make ONE race and ONE character with the exact everything so we can all be equal. The true essence of D+D was to have different characters that do different things with different abilities... if you don't like what yours' is capable of..change it, but to say that the game should change for you, and not the other way around is just silly.
  • alanea#4230 alanea Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    greywynd said:

The races aren't supposed to be equal. Each had something beneficial that the others could not provide.

if everyone had something this topic wouldnt exist but all races have "barely noticeable bonuses" overshadowed by two p2w races that have same bonus and significantly stronger buff on top of that

Seriously.... what do you want? Every Race to have the exact same abilities, stats, bonus' ? Why not just make ONE race and ONE character with the exact everything so we can all be equal. The true essence of D+D was to have different characters that do different things with different abilities... if you don't like what yours' is capable of..change it, but to say that the game should change for you, and not the other way around is just silly.

dont pull D+D into that :D
    its pure marketing
    1) make race
    2 make race thats alot better for everyone and put it in zen store

if all races offered some bonus thats roughtly balanced no one would complain ... but m16 removed all bonuses worth mentioning across races except dragonborn that was already best ... making him no longer league above .. but two
  • sinfury76#9265 sinfury76 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Coming from DDO online, this games transactions are insane.
  • sinfury76#9265 sinfury76 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Only started today and level 6 and I like the game alot so far but not sure where to start or spend money at, says I need to get level 15 or buy a founders pack (which I can't seem to find) to be able to even use zone chat lol.
    Unless something changed you have to do a lot to access zone chat.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    Race bonuses only matter to Min/Max players, overall they don't make enough of a difference to make or break the game.

Min/Max players don't care about aesthetics, which is literally the only real point of races. Therefore they also don't complain about racial bonuses.

Every racial bonus makes sense only to that race, altering that would break one of the few ways the game actually adheres to its D&D roots.

For example, people complain the Human racial bonus is lame but that's kind of the whole point. Humans are versatile but overall unremarkable, they have no real strengths or weaknesses just a general adaptability. That is the actual race descriptor.

So either you're a Min/Max player in which case aesthetics mean nothing to you and you're playing Metallic DB for the minuscule 3% damage, which let's be honest; is not worth being an incredibly unpleasant person to be around.

Or you don't give a heck about Min/Max play and only care about aesthetics; in which case you also aren't complaining about racial bonuses.

The only other option is you just want to annoy everyone with pointless arguments because that's all you have going for you.
  • finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    I am a Dwarf... I demand that I get 6 inches taller..
    /em trows in a tantrum
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer

• lothandra#7239 lothandra Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Been unhappy w/races, even before takin rerolls ability scores. That was a huge step backwards. Suggestions: easy enough & help the balance & desire to use other races again more
    1) Letting us reroll the ability scores again(Like real D&D fun. It doesn't harm or give huge bonuses & is diverse & balances the initial character. Certain race isn't always dumb/strong - let us make race characters UNIQUE. 2) " Dexterity '&' Wisdom or Charisma" removed Making EVERY ELF etc w/ the exact same choices is a bit much. Give 3 choices for each with out a particular "One" just 3 to choose from ( HINT not ALL ELF RACES have to be without strength etc etc). 3) open Moon elf & Renegade or at least w/out the packages like Metallic Dragonborn, Maybe for 750