test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please give Paladins more swords.

I am begging you. This is not to disparage maces - there are some beautiful maces in this game. But we are holy knights, not clerics, and while I love my paladin, looking at some of the sets that fighters get gives me some serious sword envy. Even giving us the option to have a mace or a sword would be an improvement, though I'll concede that adds both artistic and possibly technical work to your end.

But believe me when I tell you that giving paladins more swords - or even just letting us use the ones that fighters can - would be greatly, deeply, appreciated.

Thank you. ♥

Comments

• mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    It goes back to the history of the game and the idea that each class should look unique.

Some of that is gone, now, with fighters and paladins sharing a lot of weapons and several classes having some armor crossover with each other, but I don't think that I want it to go away entirely.

That being said, I would like to see some more weapon designs, and I think that crafting is where I would like to see it for accessibility and speed of deployment.
    And if those designs, be they mace, hammer, axe, spear, trident, or whatever else need to be shared by both paladins and fighters in order to justify that move then so be it.

At every skill/item level where there is a sword I would like to see one or more alternate weapons available as well in whatever the appropriate crafting skill. It may require some new sub-components (a blackiron spear, for example, might be an item for an artificer to make, but they might need a blacksmith to craft a blackiron spearhead, so that item would have to be added to the blacksmithing items).

And then they just add whatever weapon(s) to their content going forward, with a bias towards swords since I assume that those are the most popular, but not ignoring maces, hammers, axes, etc.

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    There are a lot of sword skins available for Paladins to use. I would say that most of the modern weapons for paladins are swords not maces. If you are still leveling up, you may not see them but you can buy swords on the AH, convert them to use for appearance and select them, even if you are underleveled to use the actual weapon itself.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • applecup#4166 applecup Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I'm level 80. of the recent sets, legion, zariel and lionheart are all maces. hellfire is an axe (a reskin of the old tiefling axe set). alabaster was a sword (reskin of the old tiamat set). watcher was a hammer. recent drop sets (black jaw etc) have all been maces.
    Lionheart is a hammer. Pretty sure most of the Undermountain stuff from leveling quests are swords. (Prospector, Wretched, etc...) and there are crafted ones also. The level 80 Cobalt MH is a sword.

I'm at work now but I'll try and make a list of swords you might check out to use as skins later.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Traveler comes in both a mace and a sword option.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    These should all be available on the Auction House. There are also some I didn't list that are really expensive such as the Elemental Evil transmutes.

Adamantine Knightly Sword
    Ancient Grand Knight's Longsword
    Blackiron Cleaver
    Blackiron Flamberge
    Bronze Broadsword
    Bronze Longsword
    Cobalt Knightly Sword
    Fool's Longsword
    Forgotten Lonsword of the Prospector
    Hardsteel Estoc
    Hardsteel Longsword
    Iron HAMSTER Sword
    Iron Longsword
    Misplaced Mace
    Mithral Knightly Sword
    Mithral Longsword
    Sparkling Long Sword of Winter
    Steel Knightly Sword
    Steel Longsword
    Traveler's Mace (variety with sword icon)
    Wretched Longsword
    Oooh! Where do I get an Iron Hamster?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    Damn! The word is banned here but exists in the game.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • vaultingfrog#2497 vaultingfrog Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    > @pitshade said:
    > These should all be available on the Auction House. There are also some I didn't list that are really expensive such as the Elemental Evil transmutes.
    >
    > Adamantine Knightly Sword
    > Ancient Grand Knight's Longsword
    > Blackiron Cleaver
    > Blackiron Flamberge
    > Bronze Broadsword
    > Bronze Longsword
    > Cobalt Knightly Sword
    > Fool's Longsword
    > Forgotten Lonsword of the Prospector
    > Hardsteel Estoc
    > Hardsteel Longsword
    > Iron <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Sword
    > Iron Longsword
    > Misplaced Mace
    > Mithral Knightly Sword
    > Mithral Longsword
    > Sparkling Long Sword of Winter
    > Steel Knightly Sword
    > Steel Longsword
    > Traveler's Mace (variety with sword icon)
    > Wretched Longsword

I just want to point out that many of those end up sharing the same skin.... so reality wise the list isn't nearly that long.
    Inwent through professions and then spot checked the AH to provide a list. It's probably safe to assume the same skin is shared between bronze and iron of the same type (longswords for instance) but itbwould take 5x as long to visually check and remove duplicates. If someone wants to do that, more power to them.
    I know that the weapon vendor sells a sword for paladins and the adventurer's seal vendor has some swords as well.

Point is, there are a lot of sword skins out there to be had.

Craft them.
    Buy them from vendors in exchange for coins or seals of the appropriate type.
    Buy them on the AH.
    Get them from campaign stores.

A lot of options for picking-and-choosing just the right sword for you.

Might be more limited than the fighter's selection, but there are still many options available.

• c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    When I look at Paladins, first thing I wonder about is - what type of Mace/Hammer does Pally wear?

I get discouraged when I see it's just some bland sword.

Which is why Watcher's Hammer is possibly the best looking fashion item in the game for Paladins.

Swords are decent, but that's all there is to it unless they have a special glow or look spectral-like, or similar.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language

When I look at Paladins, first thing I wonder about is - what type of Mace/Hammer does Pally wear?

I get discouraged when I see it's just some bland sword.

Which is why Watcher's Hammer is possibly the best looking fashion item in the game for Paladins.

Swords are decent, but that's all there is to it unless they have a special glow or look spectral-like, or similar.

That's all eye of the beholder stuff, though.

I will, probably, end up with a mace or hammer for my paladin, but I am glad that there are options and I would like to see more.

I completely understand people wanting swords. I mean, the original Holy Avenger was a sword. The paladin in the original "A Paladin in Hell" art from the AD&D PHB was wielding a sword. Old people like me remember this stuff, never mind that the sword is the stereotypical medieval weapon.

But when they introduced paladins into the game there was, as I mentioned in my first post here, still an effort to keep unique appearances for classes and weapons were a big part of that.
    Now, not so much, so open things up.

More choices = Better chance for everyone to get a look that they love.
    My paladin favors the Volcanic Sword and Shield. Goes well with his Flaming and Fireburst enhancements.
  • exgardianexgardian Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    Nightmare Longsword too. But only one or two remains in the server.
    2fv72Fw.png