test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Astral Lockbox - Great Thought / Needs Readjustments

The New Astral Lockbox just released for 100,000 astral diamonds in the Wonderous Bazaar. Contents are relatively the same as a regular lockbox. The idea that you can open this box without a key is GREAT. The idea that I can earn astral diamonds, purchase this lockbox and have a chance to get potential items to use or sell is DEBATABLE. However, as it stands and the state of the game, this lockbox (in my opinion) is not a great experience opening.

My first experience opening this box. I spent 75,000 (due to my VIP) and received the following: 3 Alexandrites and 1 Philosopher's Training Manual. All four of these items together are valued at 12,455 AD (on PS4 as of 7/30/2020) if they sell. So, I spent 75,000 AD and walked away with potentially 12,455 AD, and due to my daily AD cap limit I must wait until the next day to get another 75,000 to open ONE box......

Before reading anything else below know that, this is just my recommendation based on my experience of opening a SINGLE box with the limits of 100,000 AD. It is my opinion on rather it is worth MY TIME to invest more AD outside of the Daily Cap to open the new Astral Lockbox. Therefore, I acknowledge some players have great ways of making AD and utilizing this new box. Again, when you consider the idea of opening a lockbox with in game currency compared to an enchanted key, I think is a great move. However, I do not think it is a great experience that I can only do that once a day without having to use other methods of making AD, and the terrible RNG results that do not provide value gain from opening a single box.

The limitations of the box and Suggestive Readjustments

1) The Astral Diamond Daily Cap poses a potential problem for the cost of ONE box. 100,000 when you can only refine 100,000 a day. This is NOT GOOD. Yes, a player can earn diamonds by playing the market or purchasing Zen to convert to astral diamonds (one day when the Exchange is back) but due to the state of the game, both of these latter options are not viable options for most players.

- Possible Solution: Lower the cost of this box. At best, 20,000 Astral Diamonds. Regular lockboxes are 200 Astral Diamonds. This change will ensure at least 5 boxes are obtainable to open in a single day for an average player that gets 100,000 AD.

2) The Refinement Filler items for Lock boxes must GO!

- Refinement Filler Items are not Treading and very annoying when refinement already drops well in the game. Please consider replacing these items with the following suggestive items: 1) Preservation Ward packs, 2) Insignia Powder packs (NEW), 3) Insignia Choice Packs, 4) Enchantments Rank 11 or 12

3) Consider thinking outside the BOX

- This box could have been a great way to provide players with items to progress their toon(s) and alts. If you think it would have caused harm to the economy, make all the items in this NEW lockbox..... ACCOUNT BOUND. Therefore, if one toon had no use for those items, they can move those items to progress another toon on the same account.

- If players want items that are UNBOUND, then they continue to purchase keys and open the UNBOUND lockboxes.

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    It is more or less a regular lockbox without using a Zen store lockbox key.

VIP price of 75K AD means 100 Zen (for 750:1 exchange rate in PC).

So, this is a AD sink for the lockbox lovers without them waiting for Zax to go through.

The outcome of the lockbox seems to be more or less in line to the regular lockbox without using Zen to buy a key.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • joe7777joe7777 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    This lockbox is most likely intended as an AD sink for players with excess AD to burn to burn it while gambling for some account-wide Mounts. I don't see it as anything beyond an AD sink, personally.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    I opened about 2 mil worth just to see how they were. I think it's great as an ad sink. however I do think some things need to be adjusted. I opened a few that equaled 6 alexandrite and one opal.. that's poor. the refinement stones really need to not be the most likely thing to roll in three slots if you want ppl to really dive into these
    edited July 2020

It's garbage. Don't buy any unless you can resell them for more later. Watch online, someone opened like 8000 and got 4 mounts. You'd have to spend thousands of real dollars to get that. VIP is a much better idea because you can choose which boxes you open.

One should not use real money to get Zen to get AD to buy this to begin with. If you don't have millions of AD in your purse or have somewhere else to spend them, you should not buy this at all. The is meant to bait those who have stashed a lot of AD.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

It's garbage. Don't buy any unless you can resell them for more later. Watch online, someone opened like 8000 and got 4 mounts. You'd have to spend thousands of real dollars to get that. VIP is a much better idea because you can choose which boxes you open.

buying keys with zen that let you open more profitable boxes remains that way because they still want people to buy zen. ad sinks like this one exist to rid excess ad from the game. I think they should keep it. pc needs some serious ad sinks. this seems like a solid one. (I think but not sure that's true for ps4 as well) not so true for xbox but it certainly won't hurt us.
  • caelia#3631 caelia Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    VIP price of 75K AD means 100 Zen (for 750:1 exchange rate in PC).

The outcome of the lockbox seems to be more or less in line to the regular lockbox without using Zen to buy a key.

^This is right^ .. Putting in terms everyone can understand if you bought 1 key from the zen market it would cost the same as its value in astral diamonds as already stated. The drop rate is the same also, buying keys doesnt guarantee you will get better items. I have opened thousands of lockboxes "with keyes" and gotten mostly refinement from them so the drop rate is the same whether you buy a key or buy a astral lockbox.

HOWEVER! The random (not so random) legendary mounts you get from astra diamond box are ACCOUNT bound. Currently there is no lockbox that you can open "with keys" that has account bound mounts, so for anyone that wants to take a chance with this lockbox, has the AD for it and prays to the NW gods lol, its a good investment to get an account bound mount.

The OP left out the mount information and I think its important to have ALL the information before making the decission to get or not get something.
    Post edited by caelia#3631 on

I opened about 2 mil worth just to see how they were. I think it's great as an ad sink. however I do think some things need to be adjusted. I opened a few that equaled 6 alexandrite and one opal.. that's poor. the refinement stones really need to not be the most likely thing to roll in three slots if you want ppl to really dive into these

you get the same stuff with lockboxes that uses keys... having a key doesnt give you better items. If they were to adjust this lockbox then they would have to adjust every lockbox in NW cause its the same as far as drops.
    edited July 2020

HOWEVER! The random (not so random) legendary mounts you get from astra diamond box are ACCOUNT bound. Currently there is no lockbox that you can open "with keys" that has account bound mounts, so for anyone that wants to take a chance with this lockbox, has the AD for it and prays to the NW gods lol, its a good investment to get an account bound mount.

Do you mean the top prize of this AD box is account bound and account wide legendary mount vs the top prize of mod 19 lockbox is not account bound but account wide legendary mount?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/playstation/neverwinter/news/detail/11476713-limited-time-astral-lockbox!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/playstation/neverwinter/news/detail/11476513-blood-war-lockbox!
    Post edited by plasticbat on
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I bought and opened 2 because I had the AD and was bored. Instant regret. Won't be buying more. :( 3 Alexandrite and an epic insignia are not worth 100k. Neither is a Brilliant Diamond, Alexandrite and Epic insignia.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    edited July 2020

Do you mean the top prize of this AD box is account bound and account wide legendary mount vs the top prize of mod 19 lockbox is not account bound but account wide legendary mount?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/playstation/neverwinter/news/detail/11476713-limited-time-astral-lockbox!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/playstation/neverwinter/news/detail/11476513-blood-war-lockbox!

Here is what i mean (see pics) @plasticbat i stand corrected ... i forgot the new lockbox has account mounts ... thanks for reminding me :)
    The Legendary Mount that can drop includes:

Legendary Hellfire Engine
    Swift Golden Lion
    Legendary Carpet of Flying
    Legendary Triceratops
    Legendary Volcanic Flail Snail

edited July 2020
    It also shows in the chat when someone gets a mount from the astra lockbox and it says "Swift Golden Lion - Account" in the chat

edited July 2020
    The link already says it is account wide.

The Legendary Mount that can drop includes:

Legendary Hellfire Engine
    Swift Golden Lion
    Legendary Carpet of Flying
    Legendary Triceratops
    Legendary Volcanic Flail Snail

Note: Legendary Mounts are account-wide unlock.

Not need to post the pictures.

Same as the Blood War Lockbox. The "account" is shown in the picture of the web page.

What I did not know was where the "account bound" in your post came from. Now, I know it was a typo.
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    FYI, the "Magnificent" lockbox now gives account-bound Legendary mounts.
    The Astral box probably will work as intended in some way, at least on PC I think it will drop the backlog a little, but more (enticing?)AD-sinks are needed to make a real difference.