test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alpha Compy vs Owlbear Cup

demarw2#2749 demarw2 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
edited July 2020 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey there.

I am playing on PS4. So I can't use ACT. That's why I am asking in the forum. This week we can buy Alpha Compy in the ZEN Market. I am not sure whether it is worth 1.5kk AD (or 2000 ZEN). Alpha Compy increases power by 5%. So it increases damage by 3%. Have some body testet with ACT how much the Owlbear Cup increases the damage in mod 19? I am especially interested in Barbarian and Fighter, because these are my main chars. I think that Owlbear Cup could be nice for fast attacking Barbarians and not so effective on slow attacking Fighters. Some numbers would be very interesting to compare with the compy. Thanks for help.

Comments

• mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
  • demarw2#2749 demarw2 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for reply. There are no detailed numbers or combat logs. One says 'about 2.5%' and another have tested 4% on a target dummy, but only with burnished weapons (and yes LH or Celestial would make a difference). Sadly there are no information about their classes. I think some classes benefit more of Owlbear Cup then others.

So it is interesting, but not detailed enough.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    The problem of Owlbear Cub is in the "chance" and "internal cool-down". That means - a lot of fast attacks give better results than slow, heavy blows. Barbarian can get a lot from that companion, dps cleric not much at all.

Healers do benefit from AC - and are totally unaffected by OC , there is no discussion what to use with those.
    Tanks are usually slightly better tankers with OC compared to AC. However, tanks often prefer a HP comp in the utility slot, so there is a rather limited space for AC/OC discussion anyway.

I know you wanted EXACT numbers, but I cannot give you those. I do not have Alpha Compy and Owlbear Cub on the same class, so the comparison would not come even close to being valid. My barb usually have in logs up to 5% of damage coming from OC. However, that is roughly the best result I would guess AC can produce (outside of Chult) as well.

So, I fall into the category "meh", take whatever you like. There is no significant difference in damage,... just if you like to brag about sky-high Power, it might be difficult without having AC slotted.
    However... OC has one wonderful advantage - it can be used as a summoned companion. It is an augment companion - with actually useful stat bonuses.
    AC is unfortunately not an augment, in practice rather toothless for a raptor - and you can no longer fit him with a special effect rings, so... yeah, you will probably not use him summoned till the next companion rework (- and I do not think something like that is even being considered.)
  • demarw2#2749 demarw2 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Wow. Thanks for reply. There are some useful information in your post. So I think I don't need AC for my Barbarian... That was helpful even without some specific numbers. Thanks :)
  • alanea#4230 alanea Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

The problem of Owlbear Cub is in the "chance" and "internal cool-down". That means - a lot of fast attacks give better results than slow, heavy blows. Barbarian can get a lot from that companion, dps cleric not much at all.

just two things
    1)realistically AC cannot get close to 5% due to base power vs buffed power(it doesnt multiply any proc/augment/buff/potion power) most time its under 3% if you use gear procing power .. have maxed companion and use buffs

2) owlbear doesnt have any kind of cooldown ... it can even proc multiple times on several encounters ( icy terrain conduit of ice smoke bomb ... or even rapidly hitting at wills(duelist flurry can proc owlbear with every hit) it works exactly as reversed storm spell
    but can easily be 5%+ .. its impossible to count it tho as it depends on encoutners/atwills/feats you using and their magnitudes
    i suspect thats why they released it to zen store .. to milk last drips from once god level companion while most still dont realize how strong owlbear is .. and how changes nerfed compy to ground since m16 (mostly use of augments)
    before m16 compy worked quite differently as his " buff" could be power shared working as another multiplier in alreasy insane power share loop
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    @alanea#4230 For the first point, with power at 200k power, an added 5% power is 10k power, which will increase dps by about 4.2% with the compy. So while not a 5% increase to dps, its not under 3% either. And all power is additive, proccing/augment/buff or not.

For the Second point, you may well be correct about the owlbear's 5% dmg increase, idk, I don't have one on my main. But I do believe there is an internal cooldown, as most things of that nature do have them. And you can test how much dmg the owlbear adds by running a damage parser (ACT is very popular).
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    AC is roughly 3.35% damage increase if you are over 200k power, but the benefit from ac always has to be calculated off your combat power with all buffs and everything on, which makes it tend more to a 3.4 than a 3.3, as its damage actually scales with your power. As for owlbear cub, like mentioned previous, it highly depends on your class and the content you are doing, as you wont be seeing over 2.5% from it in relatively short fights unless u are just super lucky, and its same with classes that dont rely mum on atwills or have long cds. On a long boss fight, its true that OC can indeed go up to ~4% on most classes and ~7% in aoe.

All in all, i wouldn't waste cash on compy if you already have OC as the difference is too low to actually make much of a difference in any dungeon. Unless you just like to see high power ofc, personal choice here.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    I have parsed Owlbear to 11% of my dps. Wizard doing AE map farming in Avernus.

Owlbear is nice in situations with many small hits. For healers and for single target situations(few and big hits) Alpha likely is better.