test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The world map: Six zones, 5 buttons? And it doesn't default to where you are?

lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
On the world map, there are 6 zones you can travel to, but only 5 buttons displayed across the top. If you want to get to Chult, you have to use the arrows on the side. Worse, when you click the arrows the buttons move, meaning the zone you're looking for is no longer in the same place as it was a second ago. Buttons should not move around the UI: PE is always on the same place when you load the map, so the button to see the Chult map should ALSO always be in the same place.

A better design would be to show all 6 at once - there's tons of room. And for future expansions that add zones, shrink the bar on top or run them down the side, or re-use "global" maps like Storm King's Thunder does with the IWD map.

Second suggestion: Have the world map open to your current zone's world map, to make it easier to travel between Chult zones or between IWD zones or between Undermountain zones if you're in them. If I'm in any of those submaps with multiple locations and I want to fast travel, I want to STAY IN the sublocation far more often than I want to leave it, so that should be the default.

Third suggestion: Some of the map choices are kinda pointless. Underdark only has one location, for example, unless you have a specific quest. You should add The Yawning Portal to the main map, and clicking it would take you to the Undermountain map, and add another button for Undermountain to the Underdark map. It's still two clicks away like now, but now you've got a second item on the Underdark map, you've eliminated a top-level map meaning you can show all 5 at once even with the current interface.

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    1. In my monitor, there are 6 buttons on the top.
    2. It is default to where you are if you use the regular gateway instead of the VIP travel signpost.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    edited July 2020

2. It is default to where you are if you use the regular gateway instead of the VIP travel signpost.

Interesting, I haven't seen that on my 1920x1080 desktop or my 4K laptop. What's your resolution at? So you never have to scroll?

Ugh, so I have to RUN to the EXIT? Like an ANIMAL?

(No seriously this should be fixed to have that behaviour on VIP signpost, because that's just better.)
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    I think the world map should be like an atlas with the campaign zones on tabs along one side. Click the one you want, pages flip, and there you are. With the dead space on each side of the map there is plenty of room to add more as need creates them; just add another tab under the last one or start on the right side.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    lowjohn said:

Interesting, I haven't seen that on my 1920x1080 desktop or my 4K laptop. What's your resolution at? So you never have to scroll?
    2560x1440. Never need to scroll although I can scroll for the heck of it.
    lowjohn said:

Ugh, so I have to RUN to the EXIT? Like an ANIMAL?

(No seriously this should be fixed to have that behaviour on VIP signpost, because that's just better.)
    I asked for that feature (making VIP signpost to reflect where I am) long time ago. I also doubted they would do anything when I suggested that.

It also turned out I don't really need that and changing that actually will affect what I usually do. In short, in the beginning, I like to have that feature. Later, think about it more, I don't really want it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • theelusiveone#4954 theelusiveone Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    The problem with 5 vs 6 buttons visible is caused by the "Interface Scale" setting in options.
    I run at 2560x1440 as well but use 1.30 in Interface Scale and only have 5 buttons.
    If I lower Interface Scale to 1.15 or 1.00 I can see all 6 buttons as well.
    Kevfire
    Guild Leader
    Neverwinter SOLO Alliance
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    How about something more like this?

This is just a sketch, a bit sloppy, I rushed it.
    wb-cenders.gif