test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Allowing fighter tanks to deal more damage

I believe that as a playing fighter tank we should be able to deal damage equal to DPS enabled characters..ect.(rogues barbarians mages)as it would improve survivability so not have to rely on healers or other to revive. When we are overwhelmed by mobs

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Not happening literally because of the way Mod 16 and beyond were designed.

Mod 16 overhauled tank damage in such a way that there would never be a return of the Conqueror Guardian Fighter (aka: a tank spec that was so good at dealing damage, it could burst down enemies before they had a chance to respond and was stronger than most actual dedicated DPS classes).

Also, needing to rely on a healer was intentional. You can't block every attack by design because the devs really really want you to get a healer to babysit your HP bar to enforce the "tank/healer/DPS" trinity of other MMOs.

• kythelion#3210 kythelion Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Tanks matching and beating DPS for damage during a dungeon (if they're properly doing their job) are gone. And if it does happen, it will be swiftly fixed. M16 and everything following was designed to crush the whole one-man-army concept entirely. It's only partially successful as they have yet to truly make healing a required or desired role, but that's another story not relevant to you. The part that is relevant to you that I will probably incur wrath to say is that while you will never match a DPS again, you CAN build yourself to not require heals. There are tanks of all three classes that can run everything except ToMM (and I anticipate Zariel) with no healer at all. So that part of your wish is currently possible, and thus far the mechanisms of making this possible don't appear to be changed in M19.
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    No offense but this is not what role a tank should fit in.

The current design has clear roles: Tank, Healer, DPS. If one role could do 2 jobs at once then one role would be useless.

A tank is there for holding aggro and taking damage. If you would have a tank that does equal damage to a DPS why should you pick a DPS? A DPS is more squishy and dies a lot faster.
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • giz#2086 giz Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Actually a tank can do high damage with some gear procs and good build, in my opinion tanks have decent damage right now (not compared with end game BIS DPS) but can be 2nd or even 3rd in DPS at random queues, and even 1st in TIC. But they said that they want tanks to tank, so isn't expected to play a tank to be a HDPS tank even when it's possible for some content.
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

Not happening literally because of the way Mod 16 and beyond were designed.

Mod 16 overhauled tank damage in such a way that there would never be a return of the Conqueror Guardian Fighter (aka: a tank spec that was so good at dealing damage, it could burst down enemies before they had a chance to respond and was stronger than most actual dedicated DPS classes).

Also, needing to rely on a healer was intentional. You can't block every attack by design because the devs really really want you to get a healer to babysit your HP bar to enforce the "tank/healer/DPS" trinity of other MMOs.

The issue is that the balance was targeted in the actual MMO part. The solo content is a bit iffy regarding balance with those classes.
  • exgardianexgardian Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    Tanks are not supposed to do high damage. Is not your role.
    2fv72Fw.png
  • demarw2#2749 demarw2 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Lol. For a Tank our Fighter can deal good damage. My Vanguards damage is about 60% of my Dreadnoughts damage. So in random queues I am often 2nd or 3rd on Paingiver as a Tank. Tanks damage should be reduced and not increased.

If you want to deal damage you have to play a dps role. So switch to Dreadnought or play a class with more damage then fighter.
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    Don't forget, you also received bonus hit points in exchange for the reduced damage you do.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    FYI Guardian Fighters even RN can dish out good single-target damage.

Tanks shouldn't have a lot of damage as that defeats the purpose of being a tank. This is 101 RPG stuff. As soon as a tank can deal more damage than DPS classes, game is broken completely.

Since this is an MMO, meaning MASS MULTIPLAYER ONLINE, perhaps you can find 1-2 people to tag along for your quests and daily stuff?

You help them in dungeons, they help you in quests and so on... It's a win-win situation + you can share a lot of fun stuff, music, films, tv shows, have some good time together on Discord etc. Mods come and go, damage comes and goes, friends usually stay.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • volournvolourn Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    "This is 101 RPG stuff."

No, it isn't. It is MMO 101. Actual traditional 101 RPGs don't have MMO style 'tanks'.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    volourn said:

"This is 101 RPG stuff."

No, it isn't. It is MMO 101. Actual traditional 101 RPGs don't have MMO style 'tanks'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_(video_games)

What is this "MMO STYLE" tank? Are you aware of how many MMOs are out there?

Tank 101 is literally HP heavy category, slow, can mitigate, take a lot of punishment and collect aggro.
    If you have such a character dealing high damage, you are disabling the need to have a DPS role to begin with.

Might as well give 1.000.000 hp to Wizards and Rogues at that point ; )

Heck, make 1 class only and nothing else. HP/DMG/Mitigation, full pack, and give everyone ak-47.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • raiderone000raiderone000 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    exgardian said:

Tanks are not supposed to do high damage. Is not your role.

Total BS when game puts out loot mechanics to kill named bosses like Garyx and Mog. Forces tank to group because
    no way going to out DPS aka DPS roles even players several thousand IL below tank. It is very annoying and pisses me off.

Tanks need more love. And I feel biggest issue is that DPS can almost totally ignore defensive metrics while maxing Offense.

We need to go back to the Tank DPS. Or remove Healer from Pally's and make DPS tree. We need new Healer like Druid
    to take the role away from Pally's.

Pallys are my favorite class and because being forced to Tank or Healer, they are basically sidelined. Make it Tank/DPS.
    Or add 3rd tree of DPS. So Tank/Healer/DPS builds.

I played DDO for like 11 years during initial start. Pally's Tank and DPS. DPS isn't as good but they have option to
    be three variations of Pally. But DDO is a real D&D game while NWN only in name...

Oh D&D Pally's are fighter based class... Just like Ranger, Fighters and Barbs.. And since when are Rouges DPS...ROLES right... Seems thats all this game is about ROLES.. I'll take some butter on my Roll...
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Burnadin was pretty nice to play
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80