test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Avernus "car"

rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
...makes no sense. And I do not want to argue about lore - it just does not make sense the way it is implemented.

You leave Wandering Emporium - and you are forced into the car. However, you can leave it. You can summon other mounts. You cannot have the car in other Avernus maps. ...why this combination? It does not fit together at all.

...so, the suggestion would probably be: Make the car a blue mount... with a speed bonus on the specific map. It would at least be somehow consistent.

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,206 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    You do not exactly own the car. You got a rental. For the insurance purpose, it cannot leave certain area of the " State of Avernus" and the mechanic always needs to standby to fix it. Again, for the insurance purpose, you are required to check into your car whenever you leave Wandering Emporium.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • bige03bige03 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    next mod we will be flying in space with light sabers and green lantern rings...way to stay with the D&D theme ...
  • carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    bige03 said:

next mod we will be flying in space with light sabers and green lantern rings...way to stay with the D&D theme ...

Infernal War Machines are an official part of D&D with "Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus". I don't know about light sabers and green lanterns, but flying in space is also an official part of D&D with the Spelljammer setting.

There are plenty of games restricted to boring generic medieval fantasy tropes. D&D isn't one of them.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,090 Arc User
    ...all we want is life beyond Thunderdome...
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    thank god you can't use the car in other maps :) i don't like the way it handles

(random side note: you can summon your car if you lose it or leave it, on your usefullitems/keys tab there is a thing called infernal resonator, you can put it on your belt slots and call for your car like an uber)
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I told people, I like the dune buggy map, but the car lacks steering quality. I keep expecting it to handle like a mount, but another player tells me this is closer to a Halo Warthog. I did play Halo once (I think) but I don't recall warthogs. Of course I played GTA and keep hitting the lamps, pedestrians, and other cars too. So it could be my driving ability.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    What I dislike about the car is Cryptic used it as an excuse to empty our action points and stamina.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

I told people, I like the dune buggy map, but the car lacks steering quality. I keep expecting it to handle like a mount, but another player tells me this is closer to a Halo Warthog. I did play Halo once (I think) but I don't recall warthogs. Of course I played GTA and keep hitting the lamps, pedestrians, and other cars too. So it could be my driving ability.

My first car was an '83 Lincoln Towncar. The thing steered like a dead cow. The War Machines are fine.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited July 2020

My first car was an '83 Lincoln Towncar. The thing steered like a dead cow. The War Machines are fine.
    My first car was a green 1972 Plymouth Scamp, I wrecked it. I never did have much luck with all my cars come to think of it. I just keep trying to steer left and right with A and D keys and the war machine steers with the camera. Maybe I would still have all the cars I sent to the scrapyard, if I had a keyboard instead of a steering wheel?
    wb-cenders.gif
  • winteranestiwinteranesti Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    I was not crazy about the car at first, but now I love it. Its like a racing game and I just buzz around Zooming and the control is easy if you hit the speed button (nitro) and land you don't to wipe out hitting things just stop using a direction key and you stop/land in a dead still. Its great to take your frustrations out on the little guys smacking them around a bit. I got Vehicular Manslaughter at hitting 6 of the guys, next rank was 66, can only guess what rank 3 is at. :P Also jumping ramps 25 times I got a accolade as well..I think there is more..there are single monsters scatter..wonder what happens when I keep killing them. All in all, I enjoyed it. I do like play racing games and cars so its more of my cup of tea.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    @winteranesti I think you would love The Dust/HAMSTER Crater of Badassitude ...this is just a poor copy of those maps and their playability.
    Personally, I would prefer if they skipped this plagiarism, but if it desperately has to be present in this game as well - it should be somehow consistent with the rest of the settings.
  • lucifer#4269 lucifer Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    First car was an 89 Chevy Silverado single cab. Thing was a war machine in and of itself that guzzled oil like the souls of the damned.
    Lucifer, the light-bringer. Leading man to ruin and away from salvation since at least 1986!
    Nobody can beat my 1970 Pinto which floated when it was beside a container truck in highway ... and "float" means moving the steering wheel left and right (slightly) did not seem do anything.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • lucifer#4269 lucifer Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Had a 94 cavalier that did the same. Lol
    Lucifer, the light-bringer. Leading man to ruin and away from salvation since at least 1986!
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    My first car was a '67 Mustang. No power steering, no disc brakes, no AC, heater that only worked in the summer. By the time I drove to the gym I had already got a good workout :-P
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    I learned to drive in a '54 Chevy, with manual transmission and no power assist for the clutch or the steering. Like driving a tank.
  • zactorzactor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 57 Arc User
    Could we get the ability to paint our cars, they are ugly in brown. I would love to add some dye to it. Dye car dye!
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    kharkov58 said:

I learned to drive in a '54 Chevy, with manual transmission and no power assist for the clutch or the steering. Like driving a tank.

I learned to drive on a diesel tractor covered in rust and decades old faded, red paint. Hi-Low 1-4 gears/speeds
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

My first car was a '67 Mustang. No power steering, no disc brakes, no AC, heater that only worked in the summer. By the time I drove to the gym I had already got a good workout :-P

I believe that is called a "warm-up"

I believe that is called a "warm-up"
    Drive to gym -> warm up
    Work out in gym -> exercise
    Drive back home -> stretch
    zactor said:

Could we get the ability to paint our cars, they are ugly in brown. I would love to add some dye to it. Dye car dye!

Avernus is hell on wheels.

And whatever is sitting on those wheels...
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User

As a side note, my first car was a 1996 Buick LaSabre which I feel trained me well for the war machine.

va8Ru.gif
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I quite like the Car, running the Manes over was fun.

First car - 1974 Mazda Capella. On the highway, when the highway curved right, you would need to steer left. At night, in rain, with trucks . . . was the stuff of nightmares
  • anoreksjaanoreksja Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    My first car to play module 19
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybePHfm9No
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    bige03 said:

Believe it or not there are old school D&D boxed sets with lasers. Tales of the Comet for example.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User

I was not crazy about the car at first, but now I love it. Its like a racing game and I just buzz around Zooming and the control is easy if you hit the speed button (nitro) and land you don't to wipe out hitting things just stop using a direction key and you stop/land in a dead still. Its great to take your frustrations out on the little guys smacking them around a bit. I got Vehicular Manslaughter at hitting 6 of the guys, next rank was 66, can only guess what rank 3 is at. :P Also jumping ramps 25 times I got a accolade as well..I think there is more..there are single monsters scatter..wonder what happens when I keep killing them. All in all, I enjoyed it. I do like play racing games and cars so its more of my cup of tea.

Rank 3 is 666, the Number of the Beast
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    To return to the topic of the OP... I don't mind the car but game wise, it is totally pointless.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother

Believe it or not there are old school D&D boxed sets with lasers. Tales of the Comet for example.

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks