test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should I play Chult or Ravenloft first?

bgrantford1bgrantford1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
I am a returning player from some years back and am not sure whether to play Chult or Ravenloft first.

My understanding is that Chult comes first story-wise...but the devs have suggested 14000 IL for Ravenloft and 16000 IL for Chult.

I am currently about 18000 IL so I qualify for both.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• malistaire#9098 malistaire Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    Start with undermountain, then go to Vallenhas and Avernus. This will get you good gear and weapons. Ignore recommended Item Levels, those are mostly not a good indicator of whether you can complete the content. After that you can do any and all campaigns in any order you want. With the gear from undermountain and avernus, you will have a easier time playing the various campaigns.

If you don't want to do undermountain/avernus yet, then do both Ravenloft and Chult. The campaigns have built in time gating so you can only progress so much in one week. So you'll have plenty of time to keep up with both campaigns.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Chult takes a lot longer to get through than Ravenloft, so you might want to get started on that one. You could just do the weeklies in one while you grind the other, or even do the weeklies in both campaigns while you work on Undermountain if you like. The narratives of those three are unconnected, so I wouldn't worry about doing them out of order.

The recommended ILs sound like they're off. Sure feels like Ravenloft hits harder than Chult.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,185 Arc User
    I personally would do all the modules that I can handle at the same time because each module has its weekly gate. Once, you reach the cap of the week whatever extra you do would not be 'efficient'. Hence, I would go to do a different module until that module also hit its weekly cap again.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Additional thing to take into an account: Chult gives keys for ToNG and CoDG, Ravenloft for CR.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited July 2020

I am a returning player from some years back and am not sure whether to play Chult or Ravenloft first.

My understanding is that Chult comes first story-wise...but the devs have suggested 14000 IL for Ravenloft and 16000 IL for Chult.

I am currently about 18000 IL so I qualify for both.

Any suggestions?

Item level 18K should have no issue with either. Ravenloft is just more fun in my opinion. Chult will give you more boon points. Ravenloft currency converts to AD better than Chult. There are pros and cons on both so if you need to decide between just those two... Did you like Dracula movies or Jurassic Park?

Others above brought up valid points;
    Other than story, fashion, and boons, Chult offers you nothing in current gear or armors.
    Barovia hands you the same gear as Undermountain, if you need to get from 70 to 80 fast, do Undermountain.
    If you have been gone since Chult mods 12 & 13 or before, I would steer clear of AI (Aquisitions Incorporated mod 15). The dialog is YouTubers telling their best potty jokes. The benefit to finish it is a legendary enchantment.
    Module 17 (the hidden non-campaign) is after Undermountain called Stardock and has nothing to do with space. But you can pick up the latest companion gear there.

Once you hit level 80 go to Avernus and run APE (demonic summon epic) as two APEs gets you enough to buy Juma's Bag 'o Chicken. Only 30% chicken! They drop item level 1225 armors ... among other things. Almost forgot, the 30 seals you get for APE adds up and you can get seal gear from the vendor too.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Just what the game needs: more well-geared seals.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I'd wait until 2x campaign currency event and then do them then
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Do both if you play-time allows for it. Doing the dailies in Chult isn't bad, but when you roll in the weeklies, Chult takes 3 hours to get it all done.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.