test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which Companion for DPS - Abyssal Chicken or Bulette Pup

Hello guys, im a wizard and got a quick question: Which one do you think is better guys? I currently have legendary bulette pup and my friend said abyssal chicken is far better in terms of providing dps in dungeons when u equip armor penetration gear on it (like 40k+). He is 20k ilvl with 100k power and he almost always gets top dps as ranger in LOMM and he is saying its because of the chicken (even when it is epic rarity) and suggests me to change my companion bulette to chicken.
Tagged:

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,213 Arc User
    I think if there are more than one abyssal chicken in the instance, the instance crashes. Not sure if that is fixed.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • xenocide#6119 xenocide Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Well you will eventually need an augmented companion like the bulette pup to be able to cap your stats for end game stuff like IC and zariel. But the abyssal chicken is a really good companion to use while you save up your ad. It can help speed up questing as it's damage is decent and for 50k it's probably the best deal on a semi useful active companion right now.

It is especially useful to help out newer players and lower geared non dps classes for questing. I would highly recommend it as long as the price stays low
  • xanderleopard2#4636 xanderleopard2 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2020

Well you will eventually need an augmented companion like the bulette pup to be able to cap your stats for end game stuff like IC and zariel.

why would i need to cap my stats for end game when chicken covers the damage i am missing due to no augment? or do you mean defensive stats too?

edited July 2020

Well you will eventually need an augmented companion like the bulette pup to be able to cap your stats for end game stuff like IC and zariel.

why would i need to cap my stats for end game when chicken covers the damage i am missing due to no augment? or do you mean defensive stats too?

What he mean is to use the augment so that you can reach the cap of multiple stats. All the stats of the augment pet goes to your character.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

What he mean is to use the augment so that you can reach the cap of multiple stats. All the stats of the augment pet goes to your character.
    yes i know that. i said it is not needed to cap offensive stats when chicken does the damage im missing and even more of that. i asked if he also meant the defensive stats in case they are needed to be capped for endgame
  • northwind1974northwind1974 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I have legendary chicken and it is a beast for farming and whatnot. However, in a higher level dungeon I would avoid using and stick with the augment. Simple reason besides the obvious needs to cap stats (and yes, DPS should be capping defense and crit avoid these days) is the chicken dies.. and dies alot! Gold level elites can one-shot a chicken without any effort which negates any extra damage done.

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @xanderleopard2#4636 Let's get this straight, here and now, augments are not companions. I always go with companions hand down for many reasons;
    1. They are much better conversationalists. Talking to an augment gets boring, like talking to a pokémon.
    2. There has been a few occasions, where I am lying there bleeding, about to die, and in the last few seconds my companion saves the day, killing the creature that killed me. Nothing feels better than sweet revenge!
    3. Companions are great at making you look good. They never attempt to be a showboat or steal your thunder. Oh! Is that the cute little Bear Cub augment you have? Hey! Everyone the Bear Cub saved us!
    4. Companions are more visually appealing, would you rather be seen with Xuna or a goat?
    5. Although companions took a big hit for us in module 16, they make great meat shields. Your augment will never step into the line of fire, holding back the demon about run a red hot poker were the sun don't shine!
    Give it some thought, I just witnessed another Zhentarim Warlock upgraded to rank 40 today. The girl has got it kicking, she can blast on the fools like no other. The augments may have the points for now. Just wait until those Cryptic overlords nerf them like all those healers moaning and groaning.
    ~~~~ Sincerely, ~~~~
    Morbius of Debian, companion to Nicholas Magnus, Manshoon Heir Apparent
    wb-cenders.gif
  • zyronaxzyronax Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    I feel that this point can not be underscored enough given some of the rather questionable pro-non-aug-companion advice on display in this thread. (And yes, augment companions are companions - hence the name and classification.)

You may think your abyssal chicken will fully compensate for your own lack of damage (due to not having capped the appropriate stats); it might even be the case....for lower level content. (Bear in mind that this is a self-fulfilling prophecy: your lack of damage is caused by your lack of stats... which is caused by your choice of a non-aug comp. If you are running an aug. comp. then you need to take a look at comp. gear and slotted runestones.)

Before too long, you'll be entering higher level content, and/or wanting to run end-game content. *You will need to hit relevant stat caps for your class.* There are no 'buts' or 'ifs' about this, and that means using an augment companion. This is especially true for group content. If you try TIC, or ToMM... heh or Zariel's Trial without that expect en masse party abonnement or getting kicked.

If you enjoy using the abyssal chicken for solo content, knock yourself out.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

@xanderleopard2#4636

The augments may have the points for now. Just wait until those Cryptic overlords nerf them like all those healers moaning and groaning.
    ~~~~ Sincerely, ~~~~

Wow - succinctly put. I think you just identified the next "feature enhancement" for M20. Just look at the other comments here - all end game players must have augments. That's the definition of a nerf target in this game.
  • drartwhodentdrartwhodent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 301 Arc User
    I think most people missed what was said.
    Changing your companion gear makes a HUGE difference in your stats thanks to bonding stones.
    Whichever companion you use.
    That said, I always suggest having a good dps (or tank) companion for when you are out soloing but having a good augment for running with groups, so that your companion does not grab extra mobs at the wrong time, which Xuna is notorious for, much as I love her otherwise.
    DON'T
    PANIC!

@xanderleopard2#4636

The augments may have the points for now. Just wait until those Cryptic overlords nerf them like all those healers moaning and groaning.
    ~~~~ Sincerely, ~~~~

Wow - succinctly put. I think you just identified the next "feature enhancement" for M20. Just look at the other comments here - all end game players must have augments. That's the definition of a nerf target in this game.
    It is just circle of life. It was everyone must have augment and everyone had the ioun stone flowing around their neck back then. Then, it became proc'ing bonding era in which everyone needed a fast attack companion. Then, it was the debuff era in which everyone needed a con artist. Then, the tiger era in which everyone needed a tiger. It is now back to augment era.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Xuna.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    thanks for your answers, much appreciated. i'll stick with my bulette pup
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

... Then, it was the debuff era in which everyone needed a con artist. ...

I still have my 3 ring con artist, he isn't used anymore but yes I remember those days! We used him back when the companions had unique item sets they could use, and 3 rings was the very best. Dirk has him as Evil Finger which was a reference to him abusing those rings. Dirk runs with the skeleton, Prince Rurik the undead prince from a far away land.

Like they said above, placing high ranked bonding runestones, the companion gear found in the Stardock WE, and slot them with Armor Pen. and Power stones. Ka-booOM! You have dynamite in your corner. At that point, it will only matter what your companion cool downs are for the rest.

For example, Dirk has the Quickling that has some fast attacks. But you can get a "free" Dwarven Battlerager in the Maze Engine and they do well in the fast attacks, short cool downs.
    wb-cenders.gif