test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Making Neverwinter more Social A Win Win Cryptic

kakashi#4477 kakashi Member Posts: 14 Arc User
Okay ive been meaning to post this for a while now and here it is. I have played neverwinter for just over 2 yrs now and find it great but can be hard to make new friends compared to my previous game dcuo now on that many ppl have told me who had stop playing dcuo and gone to other mmo's e.g. Elo,Ff,and others the one thing dcuo has over all others is its social side which is 1 guild chat is also a voice channel just that by itself would massively help ppl and bonds friendships can develop so much more than just being a txt channel also dcuo has the facility to create private chats that you can name and invite others too now i have no idea how much work and cost this would be for you to develop but i do believe without doubt it would absolutely be a great thing for this game people can choose not to speak and type responses in guild chat for whatever reason ..some arent confident enough with their english etc..but just having guild chat as a voice channel makes passing on info so much easier and like i said so many more friendships bloom from this its value cannot be understated please think about and or look into it im confident it will be a Win Win for you and the players .(:

Comments

• zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    I am all in favor of enabling social opportunities in MMOs like this one, however, a word of caution about it. Many players within the base are busy-scheduled like me. For weeks on end we only have an hour a day to play ANY game, and we play this one. Many of us do not want to foster a personal relationship with other players because it leads to an empty relationship in which we can not contribute. For us, (and we represent a huge chunk of the game's income base), it is important to maintain a fast and efficient way to play essentially alone and still make good day to day progress.
  • kakashi#4477 kakashi Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    you believe you speak for a large percentage? i suggest that you are a small percentage honestly and the 100s of friends ive met this way thats spanned 9yrs from every country and as i stated no one is forced to speak in the voice channel if not wanting too but for those who wish too it in no way can be seen as a negative in my opinion
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    Voice channels, refinements to friend lists and chat are great. Maybe even a controlled "friends" channel for each account would be cool. I just don't like the idea of getting rid of "random" joins & adds, or having too many points in the game that require a player to assemble a party of helpers in order to progress.
  • zyronaxzyronax Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    Your criticism of Zimxero applies to your claim as well.

So you have so-called "hundreds of friends", if true, then you're hardly in need. (Btw, how many of those players are routinely online for long hours at a time?) If speaking on behalf of others, then again, Zimxero also speaks for others.

I'm somewhere in between: I have disposable income, and I have some free time. I'm not opposed to a readily accessible in-game voice channel, but if you're advocating more joined-at-the-hip nonsense being forced on players, then I'll be taking my not insignificant disposable income with me to competitors. 🙂
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    The last thing I want is the whatever performance hit to Cryptic server.
    There are enough 3rd party channels used by the guilds/alliance/etc for years already.

There are a lot of social activities in the game. I know 2 pairs of couple got married after they met in this game. Also, separated from one partner and moved to a new one.

In addition, those relationship should not attach to the game mechanism because if the relationship means something, it should not be held by the game which can disappear and you can be banned for whatever reason.

There is also moonstone mask although you may not be "social enough" to use that.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    This reminds me, if you are serious about making Neverwinter more social, why not sign up for the 2020 Player's Halloween party?

I did this last year, https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1251979/halloween-party-2019
    The date will be 1 day prior to the start of the Liar's Masquerade so we don't overlap, need costume contests, dances, DJ's, etc..
    It will need hosts from around the globe and in every timezone! <3
    wb-cenders.gif