test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The profanity filter should not apply to the "report offensive player" function.

lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
I attempted to report a player with a neo-HAMSTER toon name earlier and received this message:
[6/22 18:05] [Error] Profanity detected in summary; this is not allowed.
.... because I used the word "HAMSTER" when explaining why his toon name was a HAMSTER slogan.

I've had this problem before when reporting players with thinly-disguised racist slurs, or when I've tried to post snippets of chat where a user used racist language. Part of PROVIDING EVIDENCE OF MISCONDUCT is the ability to identify the misconduct, preferably with exact chat logs, but if I want to report a user for using racists slurs, I can't include the log or even an accurate description of the content.

The profanity filter should be disabled for "report offensive player" tickets. People who abuse "report offensive player" to include bigoted comments of their own can be punished based on the ticket they submit, there's no reason to hamstring people attempting to accurately report the actual problem.

Comments

• lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    Ah, of course, the profanity filter *quite naturally* (and correctly) filtered me here. For those playing at home, the GERBILED word is the common shorthand for a certain political party that ruled Germany in the 1930s until the early-mid 1940s.
  • finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I agree with you here, this filter shouldn't be working on reporting.
    I have seen such folks in game and gave up reporting for similair reasons but it's offending me personally since I am a Dutchmen and lost almost 50% of my family during that time because they helped with shelter for the procecuted people at that time.

I think this behave is caused by the re-written history on schools, so I guess they are ignorant and need a proper teaching.
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    While it's not a perfect solution, in the future, I recommend you take a screenshot and file a ticket via the website with the screenshot attached.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    kreatyve said:

While it's not a perfect solution, in the future, I recommend you take a screenshot and file a ticket via the website with the screenshot attached.

Absolutely, but that's like 5 extra steps compared to "copy chat, paste in in-game ticket". And I think it should be easier, not harder, to report bad behaviour.

Also SUPER-INTERESTING to see on the problem ticket:
    ======================================================
    Attachment(s)
    pets.csv
    D:/Program Files (x86)/Perfect World Entertainment/Neverwinter_En/Neverwinter/Live/screenshots/tempss.jpg
    chatLog.csv
    ======================================================

(That D:\ location is where my Neverwinter install lives. And "tempss.jpg" and "pets.csv" and "chatlog.csv" are very telling!)

But that's a good thing, I suppose? Of course, by the time I'd gotten my third report out the player had left the zone, so they wouldn't show in the screenshot. Still, it's interesting to see the data that my report shared!

(And also I hope you ban his white supremacist account and also that he has lots of really expensive stuff on it when you ban it.)
    finmakin said:

I agree with you here, this filter shouldn't be working on reporting.
    I have seen such folks in game and gave up reporting for similair reasons but it's offending me personally since I am a Dutchmen and lost almost 50% of my family during that time because they helped with shelter for the procecuted people at that time.

I think this behave is caused by the re-written history on schools, so I guess they are ignorant and need a proper teaching.

I don't think it's deliberate, I think it's a side effect of "people should not be allowed to use slurs in support tickets" combined with a failure to include "sometimes people are filing a support ticket to report slurs" and "some things the profanity filter blocks are not, in fact, slurs. They're just accurate non-slur descriptions of some terrible people."
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    I agree, I have always thought this was silly when you are trying to report a player for using harsh language or being abusive in party chat. I just worked around it by adding in a few **** for the key letters that trigger the profanity filter. It's not perfect but its much better than taking a screenshot and needing to host it just so you can attach it to the ticket.
  • regpeiregpei Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Yes, when you submit a ticket your current chat log, pets, and first born are all supplied with it to the support team! If you view the ticket on the website you can see these attachments and how badly your incriminated yourself XD
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I am never offended by words alone, people's actions are what I find most offensive. However I do understand the need to curb the childish actions and the trolls from making the game less than desirable to participate. I reported a guild scammer (someone claiming to belong to my guild) and when I did, I got back the replay of the chat from the wrong time. Just because I was busy with a friend playing the game and waited to finish up. I sent screenshots and I am unaware if any action was taken against the scammer. This is the issue when they use an automated system to record the moment you report and don't use real live GMs as they should.

I have expressed that not all words offend people the same way. I am still trying to figure out who is offended by 80K ?

wb-cenders.gif