test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hell Pit Difficulty/Feedback (Chapter two)

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    A perfect example of why content shouldn't be scaled.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Well, i also think that scaling should only have an effect on HP and Power within reason, anything else should remain as it is.

Day 11 with bonus round done...
    18k Dreadnought, first demon round in the second week, i used up many Health Stone charges,
    24k Dreadnought, also demons, had to use the Health Stone once or twice to get through.

Anyway, have to wait and see how it goes against the first boss in a few days.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Demon rounds definitely harder than devils
    After this last weekend I have found 2 locations that I have a problem dodging in: Bel's Landfall and the Hellpit. Nowhere else do I have such issues.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Warlock

Day whatever - i really don't see any major difficulties, yeah from time to time i get lazy and facetank everything and drop to 40% hp and i'll use a boost just to be safe but it's not that hard overall, at least for me
    Didn't change anything... same gear, same enchants, same comps, same mount stuff for extra self healing

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

Day 11 - quite hard, burned up 15 stones of health and failed Bonus round.

Generally its ok if you get boots [using dailies almost at will] shield [invincible for a minute] or heart [almost invincible for a minute].

You just got to time the power ups, and if you are lucky you can carry one over into round five, or even the bonus round.

Its STUPID that you should scale yourself down to 19,999 item level to do best. Flipping stupid.

Also I notice player skill does make a big difference, if I am playign lazy I can get owned. When I am really trying to avoid splats of red and sprint out of mob groups I survive much more easily. Movement, evasion, timing all make a big difference :)

I just want to chime in here with something I noticed. The shield is not working anything like it did last year. Last year it was invincibility, this year it not only can fail, its happened more than once to me, and one time it was so fast I almost didn't even notice the yellow bar going down. Before you tell me that it has a 1 minute time limit, I know. I used it during the bonus round today at 53 seconds left. I made sure it went up (got the yellow healthbar). Then stopped to kill some enemies and before I used my second encounter the shield was gone.
    This exact thing happened to me today also.

The yellow bar just was destroyed by the mobs!
    Day Whatever

Running out of patience really.

Its a game of chance - with the Skull it takes so long to activate that if you stand still for a second you get swamped by mobs and ganked.

Other powerups mean you still have to survive the first minute at least.

I survived then in the bonus round got the shield, waited till about 50 seconds left on the clock, popped the shield, turned to fight the MASS RAMPAGING HORDES following me and watched in horror as the yellow shield bar was destroyed by them in about 2 seconds.

Didnt even have time to move was so surprised :)
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    greywynd said:

After this last weekend I have found 2 locations that I have a problem dodging in: Bel's Landfall and the Hellpit. Nowhere else do I have such issues.

I didn't have problems dodging in Bel's landfall, but had major problems with sprint in Hell Pit. Even with plenty of stamina, sprint would inexplicably stop for no reason. Another place where dodging never worked properly was on the large wooden area in the River District next to the treasure ship. I suspect that the surface that we walk on has an effect on whether we can dodge or not.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • micheal1979micheal1979 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

@micheal1979 I honestly am against the necessity to get naked for any scaled content, but here we are. My char that is bound to run the Hellpit is based on 3way rank 15 enchants.
    Throwing all the enchants away - along with the most of my usual gear means inside I GAIN 20k to power and on average 25k to my stats. That is a major bump.
    I simply want to have a chance once all the Glabrezus in the arena start to play a ping-pong with me like the last year.

It is not about situation awareness, it is not about knowing your char, it is not about knowing anything. It is about a silly design.
    Either way, an adventurer should be properly geared for the battle, so it is reasonable to put away all the legendary state-of-the-art gems and artefacts as they are hindrance.

I call it a bad game design, but if I am forced to play along with it - well, whatever.

Interesting idea, but my experience is opposite and scaling down my gear is unneeded as my situational awareness keeps me from ping ponging. I just don't let them surround me or stand in blast waves. I know it can be tricky but so far this time around it has been easier than last time. The only thing I dislike about the event is so much time has passed since last one. Seems it will take years to earn the legendary mount skin.
    We Are Crolm
    Believer in SMASH
    Fairplay,no bots , no bugs, and play well
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnN0Yofs-Scv1nd8U_bSYLA/featured
  • markosdasilvamarkosdasilva Member Posts: 2 Arc User

Day Whatever

Its a game of chance - with the Skull it takes so long to activate that if you stand still for a second you get swamped by mobs and ganked.

I survived then in the bonus round got the shield, waited till about 50 seconds left on the clock, popped the shield, turned to fight the MASS RAMPAGING HORDES following me and watched in horror as the yellow shield bar was destroyed by them in about 2 seconds.

Exactly the same. The shield in some rounds is useless when mobs surround you and you collide with them.
    Yesterday I used 50 charges of health stone and 10 scrolls.
    This is sick, I don't know who fixed it, but it's better not to fix anything else in this game.

HR 24k

Day Whatever

Exactly the same. The shield in some rounds is useless when mobs surround you and you collide with them.
    Yesterday I used 50 charges of health stone and 10 scrolls.
    This is sick, I don't know who fixed it, but it's better not to fix anything else in this game.

HR 24k
    Seems like very excessive use of consumables. Maybe swap to warden instead of hunter ranger. Warden does very well this event with the close combat and mass of mobs.
    We Are Crolm
    Believer in SMASH
  • award9award9 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 87 Arc User
    My 23k Fighter is doing this event. The first week I used my Dreadnought loadout. This week, and presumably next week, I'm using my Vanguard loadout. The challenge is keeping me engaged!
    There have been only 2 hiccups I've had to deal with so far. My shield (shift key, Dig In worked fine) stopped working close to the beginning of the bonus round last Friday and didn't start working again until a little bit after I got back into PE. Also, demons kept spawning after the timer ran out in the bonus round last night.
  • sinneblomsinneblom Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Last year I did the hell pit. And it was difficult but not as difficult as it is right now. Now it seems that the third week (of last year) has been moved to the second week (of this year). I do the hell pit with my TR, CW and DC just as last year. But it is considerably heavier this year. Maybe because of the downscaling (stupid that they do this, the adds are level 80) or maybe of the so many adds that are in the arena and the fire that appears a lot. On all three of my chars, I hardly have time to cast a skill because the moving around to survive. I do not understand what the fun is to design something like this at least for me the fun is gone. And torment myself to earn a legendary account bound mount that I can get in 4 years. So stupid :astonished:
    Just like the Bel story in Avernus but that's another chapter. I wish u good luck
    sinneblom said:

Last year I did the hell pit. And it was difficult but not as difficult as it is right now. Now it seems that the third week (of last year) has been moved to the second week (of this year). I do the hell pit with my TR, CW and DC just as last year. But it is considerably heavier this year. Maybe because of the downscaling (stupid that they do this, the adds are level 80) or maybe of the so many adds that are in the arena and the fire that appears a lot. On all three of my chars, I hardly have time to cast a skill because the moving around to survive. I do not understand what the fun is to design something like this at least for me the fun is gone. And torment myself to earn a legendary account bound mount that I can get in 4 years. So stupid :astonished:
    Just like the Bel story in Avernus but that's another chapter. I wish u good luck

Running it on multiple characters won't allow you to achieve enough currency for the mount. The reward currencies are character bound. Best of luck. Today's patch really makes getting the charge in Insurgency a joke. Yes not the point of op in this thread just wanted to mention it for sinnebloom.
    We Are Crolm
    Believer in SMASH
  • krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    Difficulty is absolutely all over the place and seems to change on undocumented stuff. Last sunday, it was about ok. Yesterday it was very easy. Today it is impossible. Please review your code, because there is no way this is working as intended.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited May 2020

Difficulty is absolutely all over the place and seems to change on undocumented stuff. Last sunday, it was about ok. Yesterday it was very easy. Today it is impossible. Please review your code, because there is no way this is working as intended.

Different mob, different difficulties. Demon hard, devil easy. That is if you are lucky to get devil, it is easy. If you are not, challenging. That is kind of known since the first Hell pit. Same as what you faced in Vallenhas. Small HE with demon is harder than the small HE with devil.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    TR here. The difficulty is painful (living up to the name) to the point I opt out of the bonus round each time. I do have to wonder why scaling is involved here though. Are they going to be putting scaling into every event? If so what the hell is the point of going after chase items and improving your level if they just end up punishing you for it? I like the idea of being able to trounce hell pit one day but with scaling, that's never going to happen.
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • lizardglennlizardglenn Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Going ok again on my rogue way better stats than i had last year
    getting scaled to 20k really is not a big deal,
    i have swapped gear around to change stats this time lowered CA etc to get more def and crit avoid
    will play around with those more
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/TUhJNYm.png[/img]
  • johnalansimmonsjohnalansimmons Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
    for those having trouble take the time to change mount insignias, companions, and gear to optimize defensive stats and healing and even the demons are not that hard. after doing this I have used no healing pots or stones of health and it only takes a little longer to kill the mobs.
    Yesterday wasnt too bad.

Today [day 14 or 15? Ive lost count] was MENTAL.

Round 3 was tough, Round 4 Very Tough and Round 5... well I survived by the skin of my nose, lots of sprinting out of trouble, using powerups JUST at the right moment, and dailies helps.

The Shield was destroyed [again] in one round due to the sheer weight of onslaught of about 5 Glazebraus and abotu 10 other mobs pounding on it.

Bonus round fail.

OH and in one round I killed the last mob spawn with 1 second left on the timer and literally a WHOLE wave of mobs spawned, [maybe 6 or 7 tough barstools] leaving me fighting for another 20 seconds or so.

Its a challenge, way harder than last time. If thats due to scaling, its stupid.
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    Difficulty between demons and devils is huge. I finally got devils (i think it's 14th day, got that 2nd piece for mount). Without potions, without stones of health, without "stealing/leeching" health ... No problems at all. Even bonus round.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    I don't know if any dev is reading this, but within the content tweaks one bug was left behind: the bonus round starts roughly about 10 secs after the fifth round finishes, not when you accept it in the book.
    So, if anyone decides to take a breather - or fill AP gauge, whatever - before engaging the bonus round, it is perfectly possible that he enters when the round is already in the "clear the arena" phase.
    hustin1 said:

I didn't have problems dodging in Bel's landfall, but had major problems with sprint in Hell Pit. Even with plenty of stamina, sprint would inexplicably stop for no reason. Another place where dodging never worked properly was on the large wooden area in the River District next to the treasure ship. I suspect that the surface that we walk on has an effect on whether we can dodge or not.

In Nostura's Twisted Glade or whatever they call it, you can get hung up on roots. It's the same issue where if you're too close to a curb you can't get your mount to jump it.

If it was environmental like that I wouldn't be able to dodge in the siege which takes place in the same area as Bel's Landfall.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

I don't know if any dev is reading this, but within the content tweaks one bug was left behind: the bonus round starts roughly about 10 secs after the fifth round finishes, not when you accept it in the book.
    So, if anyone decides to take a breather - or fill AP gauge, whatever - before engaging the bonus round, it is perfectly possible that he enters when the round is already in the "clear the arena" phase.

Oh. I didn't pay attention to that, but I do enter "late", and I was swarmed by so many mobs that it took my by surprise. I was so busy I couldn't pay the timer any mind, I will do now.
    - bye bye -
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Well, the strange part is, round 1-3 in the second week, everything goes more or less fine, but in round 4 and 5 it suddenly feels like my defense stats were cut in half, and my HP melts away within seconds even when i'm blocking.

14 days plus bonus round done on both fighters, but i had to use scrolls twice on the 19k IL one to get through.

Anyway, little advice for demon rounds, kill the Hezrous first, it looks like these can not only cast AoE and other HAMSTER, but they also summon additional demons to the fight, when you get more then one from those plus another enemy wave, things can get really "interesting" in the arena...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!

Running it on multiple characters won't allow you to achieve enough currency for the mount. The reward currencies are character bound. Best of luck. Today's patch really makes getting the charge in Insurgency a joke. Yes not the point of op in this thread just wanted to mention it for sinnebloom.

She has different accounts. 2 characters on each, I believe.
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I took my time reading the book so that I could get my encounters and daily back, and I noticed that the round started with only 1:23 or 1:33 left. I thought it was an odd time and until reading the posts, figured the bonus round was shorter. Now that I think about other times doing the bonus round--I "kinda" remember reading the book longer and getting shorter bonus rounds--but I do remember one bonus round in which I spawned late and it seemed like dozens of demons were attacking in seconds-killing my saved shield and wiping me. so--even if you wait on the timer, it also seems to spawn the mobs every 30 seconds so be prepared to run.
    I have not respecced much and have been able to complete it every day. I have 'imbibed quite a few potions and averaged about 3 stones of health on my 22.8K TR to make it through the events. (they were all free from various events, so I haven't considered the buyout yet.-- yet.

I will take a look at dumping my CA for more defense though. Those demons hit hard, and I suspect that I am way off on my defensive stats.
  • evemjevemj Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    If you take the book after waiting, you will see the timer appear at 2mins, but then fall to whatever it would have been had it started when the book appeared.
    Timer should start when book is read, not when it appears.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    My feeling is that the difference in difficulty we see is related to some problems with fire damage that have been present in the game for quite a while. I play a 26k warden HR with no self heals and the boots reducing my heals by 25%, so what I see is not influenced by self heals popping up or not.
    Devils are quite easy, demons may be hard but normally that happens when Molten or Enflamed Zythars are present.
    If I kill them quickly or stun them with Crushing Roots I can easily manage demons too, using only potions and no Stones.
    If two or more Molten Zythars are present at the same time and I don't take care of them immediately they can burn over 50% of my HP in a few seconds (I have 405k HP before scaling, so this means they will kill most less-geared HRs outright).
    There are some other places where fire damage is out of the roof too (Son of Alagondar and Puppet firebombs come to mind). Both Son of Alagondar and Puppet seems to ignore defense quite often (the combat log line just shows damage and not pre-mitigated and mitigated damage). I didn't check if that happens for Molten Zythars too but something is definitily out-of-place with fire damage.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80