Install Arc
Options

Level Scaling for the future of NWO

2»

Comments

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    I mean without it, new players experience is ruined, and with it, most people dont care, no one I've ever spoken to in game was against it becuase it can only enhance the experience for everyone when done right.

Besides your opinions wont change what is coming this year. I hope it is a good system and I hope you come around to liking it, or that you find some bizzare game with awful devs who dont implement one to play instead.

Fun fact, nobody stopped having fun because of a well implemented scaling system ever. Fun fact- it improves fun for all, but newer players most.

I'd be VERY interested in seeing a compelling argument to the contrary- as one cannot logically exist.
  • Options
    karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    I played WoW for years, left several years ago, and there was never scaling of players in content. Also, City of Heroes and DC Universe Online, again I do not remember players being scaled in content. So, I will go out on a limb and say with full confidence there are many non bizzare games in which the player is not scaled, and I am sure not all the Devs in non scaled games are awful.
  • Options
    milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

And... it is a time for you to realize that most of the uproar against scaling is not about inability to annihilate the whole map in one swing, but because what was delivered was an overcomplicated and badly implemented atrocity that put the whole bunch of DnD principles on its head.

This, and this alone is why scaling should be thrown out the window. Scaling has no place in a DnD branded game.

Now if scaling is going to stay they need to fix it, badly. As it stands now Malabogs castle is harder than FBI. That makes no sense.

The way scaling should work is this:

If my character has his stats at say 110% of cap in the unscaled lvl 80 dungeons, then when he goes back to Malabogs Castle, he should be at 110% of the caps for Malabogs Castle.

And adding scaling to LoMM when they did was not a good plan. It also should be removed from the random qs as it is not possible to finish with a pug.
  • Options
    Scaling has a place in every online MMORPG in existance regardless of setting because it is simply required for such a game.

If levels exist in an MMO, scaling must too exist. no one said it has to be done in a bad way, but it must be done, in a good way.
  • Options
    karvare said:

I played WoW for years, left several years ago, and there was never scaling of players in content. Also, City of Heroes and DC Universe Online, again I do not remember players being scaled in content. So, I will go out on a limb and say with full confidence there are many non bizzare games in which the player is not scaled, and I am sure not all the Devs in non scaled games are awful.

City of Heroes had scaling in almost everything. DCUO is so crappy I dont remember. WoW sucks for many reasons and no scaling is one of them.

one of the most universally loved features in cryptics other games was the ability to scale oneself to team leaders level. Maybe those games just have more thoughtful communities.

NW is like the game where they decided to do NONE of the good things their previous games did. they've slowly added some of those features recently but NW is missing a whole lot of good stuff their other games had for no reason.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Repeating the same mantra over and over again of, "it is required for such a game" does not make it true. There are successful mmos without scaling, which clearly shows that level scaling is not a requirement for success.

It is your subjective opinion that level scaling is good, this does not make it true and many of us in this thread disagree, for reasons already stated.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I won't even delve into arguing about whether scaling is good or bad. It has it's place and NW has failed to install a good scaling system (to this point). I've also played plenty of good games that had no scaling. To make a blanket argument is just silly.

Your entire argument has revolved around "if you don't like scaling you're selfish". One could say your statements apply to your views as well. You selfishly enjoy something and then come here with an argument of "i think scaling works and so do the 10 people i talk too about it".

As for, "i don't hear people complaining about scaling"? You must have deaf ears and blind eyes because this community and these forums have been complaining about scaling for a long time now.

All you've done is express your opinion. And having one does not make it good or in line with the majority.
  • Options
    zyronaxzyronax Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    > @gradii said:
    > Scaling has a place in every online MMORPG in existance regardless of setting because it is simply required for such a game.
    >
    > If levels exist in an MMO, scaling must too exist. no one said it has to be done in a bad way, but it must be done, in a good way.

You have an unfortunate tendency of stating your personal views as 'fact' while not offering one iota of credible evidence. You are also new to the game, and have been busy trying to throw around whatever weight it is you think you have; frankly it is coming across as a mixture of ignorance and arrogance. Perhaps you're trying to overcompensate for something or other, but whatever the case may be, you have absolutely not paid your dues in this game to be trying to climb up that high on this proverbial horse.

Wanting to engage in a game's potential development is well and good, and yet there is also a time and place to familiarize oneself with the lay of the land before trying to rock the boat. (That piece if advice will also serve you well in the real-world working sector.)
    Post edited by zyronax on