test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hell Pit Difficulty/Feedback (Chapter two)

callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
[We did this last time so it would be nice to do it again, share tactics and experiences etc]

Day 1 - 25.5k Barbie.

Not sure how much higher my iL is than last time [makes a note to check the old forum thread] but I was excited to see this return.

My tactics by the end of Hell Pit Chapter one were;

1 - Run around a lot and use a heal stone if required
2 - Grab the power up, unless it was boots which are rubbish [NOTE - didnt the devs say the Boots power up was beign removed?]
3 - Run around some more
4 - Use the Heal power up with 45 seconds to go
5 - Run around some more
6 - Use AOEs and Rage to kill everything in sight after counter reaches zero.

In Chapter One Week One seemed fairly easy, did it without breaking sweat. So was looking forward to a leisurely 10 minutes.

Oh dear.

To me it seemed MUCH harder than last Chapter Week One, I used more stones, ran more, and even died once in a flurry of agony and pain.

Mobs seem to hit MUCH harder than last time round. Very unforgiving.

Not sure if the scaling is working that well? or another problem?

I got through all five rounds, but it was grim and nasty in there. Much more of a challenge than I was expecting.

Give us your feedback and tactics!

Comments

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    This is what I wrote on Day 1 last time round;

"So this was day 1 of 21 and as each day goes by my understanding is it will get harder.

Day One - Barbarian - iL about 23k - it seemed pretty easy, used a couple of healing potions, probably due to laziness.

I am hoping they don't ramp it up too much by day 21!"

So I am 2.5k HIGHER iL and it seemed much harder.

Great work Cryptic
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    I went in with my 26.4 barb and it seemed pretty easy to me. I would say that the difficulty was on par with what it was the last time around. Were you fighting demons or devils? I recall that the difficulty varied quite a lot based on what kind of fiends were thrown at us.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    I am using a Barbie and he is more or less the same as last time, less than 23k. It was easy and it is easy. It is more or less the same. I did not pick up any power up like last time (for week 1).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • cracklepants#2252 cracklepants Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    last time was tough but achievable. I was just over 20K and doing all 5. Now I am 23K and struggling making it through round 3.
    edited May 2020

last time was tough but achievable. I was just over 20K and doing all 5. Now I am 23K and struggling making it through round 3.

I think the reason may be because of the scaling. The further away from 18K, the worse it is. e.g. your added stat is mostly power, after scaling, your armpen takes a big hit.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Surprise, surprise: the boots power-up works!

It got harder - in day one the mobs have actually a potential to kill me. That is not necessarily wrong, but hopefully they did not make everything harder, just the gradient flatter... otherwise I cannot imagine who would survive in the third week.

Still kiteing strategy works the best - nuke the rangers and run around. Killing all the mobs promptly did not bring any benefit, just more danger.

I think the reason may be because of the scaling. The further away from 18K, the worse it is. e.g. your added stat is mostly power, after scaling, your armpen takes a big hit.
    Its kind of ridiculous that the higher your iL it *seems* to be harder.

I haven't got worse at playing my Barbie.
    hustin1 said:

I went in with my 26.4 barb and it seemed pretty easy to me. I would say that the difficulty was on par with what it was the last time around. Were you fighting demons or devils? I recall that the difficulty varied quite a lot based on what kind of fiends were thrown at us.

Yeah I didnt take note, but I was getting hit for 6k damage from ranged fireball type things over and over again, sometimes five or six in quick succession. That eats up Hit Points pretty fast.
  • midnightitamidnightita Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Here's my Barbarian Playthrough of Day 1

No Potions/Artifacts/Dailies/Buffs used, I also show what I'm running in the first few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivbX_s5p-UQ
    Post edited by midnightita on
    If anyone struggle with healing himself, except the usual insignia bonuses you can try https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Bone_Harvester_Hood ...works just fine if you can kill fast enough :)
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    You can always switch barb to tank loadout. To my fighter (now 25K+ ilvl), 1st week looks less hard than before. If i concentrate, enemies can't even deplete my stamina. And about 2nd week. That was pain in the a.... But now i have much better equipment with "good" caps at almost everything. So we shall see.
  • rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Day 1/2 warlock stand in the same place face tank and kill everything with bova, hr and fb without even losing 10%hp ...

EDIT: healing from insignas bonus/redemption
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    I am using a 28k dps cleric, and I was pretty much one-shotting the mobs. Only time it would not was when I was not critting. It seemed about the same as before to me, maybe a slight bit harder.
    edited May 2020

The interesting thing to note here is that nobody under 22k is posting they succeeded, and everyone who succeeded (and mentioned their class), is a Barbarian.

So basically, if you already have a bunch of Legendary items and an effectively maxed out Barbarian, you can play Hell Pit and pick up a few more Legendary items to make yourself even more powerful.

If you're at the 18K-20K event target level, still need Legendary items to increase your stats, and play non-Barbarians, you need not apply.

The event which was supposedly designed for you at 18-29k is actually only for the top 8% of players who no longer really need this stuff, but want to have more of it anyway.

The post above yours is a warlock. This event is scaled to 20K item level. Higher item level may make it worse if the stat is leaned to certain type of stat and marginal to the rest of the stat.
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    And a fighter before that. Sorry, I had been AFK for a while in the thread before posting and then some more time while typing. You may note those two posts where both less half an hour before mine was finished.

That being said, @plasticbat, feel free to post your video of your sub-20K, non-Barbarian completing the challenge. Don't forget to include screenshots revealing how he did it without having 15 legendary items on his build already. I'll watch with interest!
    edited May 2020

And a fighter before that. Sorry, I had been AFK for a while in the thread before posting and then some more time while typing. You may note those two posts where both less half an hour before mine was finished.

That being said, @plasticbat, feel free to post your video of your sub-20K, non-Barbarian completing the challenge. Don't forget to include screenshots revealing how he did it without having 15 legendary items on his build already. I'll watch with interest!

Since I already use a Barbarian, I cannot use another character. I hope they could allow me to do multiple character for this event. I am pretty sure a TR would be easy.

This is the one I did last time without using any health potion but he was still a 21K barbarian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy9J0TPxCnM&feature=youtu.be
    edited May 2020

Ok, I did that with a Rogue in the preview server. Take out 3 artifacts and one underwear to make it less than 20K before going in. He is wearing the Lostmauth set which is Nth generation old set. Since this is in preview, it has no guild boon and no VIP buff. It was actually easier than my 22K Barbarian. I am uploading a video to YouTube and it will take more than an hour.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Well, i created a new character with the last Neverember's Recruitment event and i'm currently testing how far i can get in this event. Fighter, Dreadnought, 18k IL, 2 days done, it's doable but not easy and i had to use Stone of Health a few times.

https://imgur.com/a/BMeFPGj

I guess i will get through the second week with this character, if i get mostly devils as enemies and have some luck with timing the boosters right, but that's probably it.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!

Ok, I did that with a Rogue in the preview server. Take out 3 artifacts and one underwear to make it less than 20K before going in. He is wearing the Lostmauth set which is Nth generation old set. Since this is in preview, it has no guild boon and no VIP buff. It was actually easier than my 22K Barbarian. I am uploading a video to YouTube and it will take more than an hour.
    Awww, this is our lovely scaling in the full bloom - get naked, get mighty! (...and staring at the full moon might be a critical weakness of the fiends in the pit... =) )
  • rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited May 2020

Now the problem is that most 20k's you see crying in PE are the same ones that stack item lvl to go on redq/rtq to get carried by someone else without caring abput their stats, last year warlock wasn't my main and i was able to do it on him, it took some effort but i was able to
    Post edited by rev#7881 on
    edited May 2020

My rogue in Preview. Less than 20K item level. Took away 3 artifacts and the under pant.
    This was the first time I play a rogue in Hell Pit. I have been using a Barbie in the real server.
    The video is still being processed by Youtube. It is SD at the moment. It should have HD later.

https://youtu.be/rP_zLOz46us

• jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    I have a 25k HR running normal warden combat with around 0 incoming healing and nearly no self healing and it is fine for me. But I do sometimes use the power ups.
    I intend to switch the boots (rusted iron) for something old (scaling...), fury maybe, if it gets harder some more gear perhaps, maybe some adjustments, but for me its like last time.
    It works with what I normally run, no extra healing, no extra HP on utility and I am a normal-mdps-low on power peep.
    I am very glad about the AOEs on HR tho
    - bye bye -
  • bigblackafricabigblackafrica Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    I must just suck because I am not having nearly as much success as others in this thread. I'm using a HR running warden with IL just under 23k and I can't make it past round 2. I made it through 16ish days last time around with an IL just over 21k, but this time I am getting owned hard.

I must just suck because I am not having nearly as much success as others in this thread. I'm using a HR running warden with IL just under 23k and I can't make it past round 2. I made it through 16ish days last time around with an IL just over 21k, but this time I am getting owned hard.

Check your stat when you are in the signing contract area to see if certain stat is scaled down badly such as ArmPen and defense. If your 2K item level gain was mainly power, you may lose a lot in ArmPen and defense.
  • melotai#0794 melotai Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    I had no problems with my TR this time around did not even equip any healing items (potions or stones of health) and did not need any this time around. As far as scaling went I did not notice a thing as my characters IL was only increased from about 20K to 23.2K by doing avernus and getting items from that Juma fellow. As it turns out replacing six 950 to 1K IL equipment with six of the 1200 to 1225 type was a pretty big deal for me.

I am still using the demon lord's set for everything. no change to boons as only the available points to spend has changed.

the only other significant item change is the bonding runestones which were changed from rank 9's to rank 13's and my augment companion went from epic to legendary with the help of the Legacy Quests from Sybella.

As far as healing goes I added the Dark Ritual Robes and added "barbarian's revelry" to my list of available insignia mount powers. Did not have either available to me the last time around and usually ended up having to use a few potions

The first round was probably the toughest for me because that is the only round where I lost 60 to 70% of my health. Although it is also the only round where I did not use the item as I saved it for the next round so that I could essentially have 2 available for the final round.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    It was super-easy last time with my DPS Paladin tank. This time I'm using Shadowknife.

Strategy:

Week1: Try not to fall asleep. You could die here... like falling asleep in a bathtub.
    Week2: Use consumables. Save Dailies for final rounds.
    Week3: (actually use strategy & tactics). Remember... your fighting the clock, not the demons. Use AoE bursts on mobs, then switch to single target to finish them off slowly. The slower you go... the slower they respawn.
    Day 2 Update

25.5k Barbie - Got Demons [again]

Stuck to previous tactics, run around and nuke stuff at the end.

This relies on either Heal or Shield Power up.

Used a few Heal Stones, died once out of stupidity and lag...

Definitely harder than last time.
    Day 3 Update

25.5k Barbie - Demons [3rd time running?]

Changed tactics, stood and fought. This at least broke the tedious monotony of running in circles [AND had the added bonus of making each two minute round seem shorter].

Hardly broke sweat, didn't use a power up in Rounds 4 and 5, used a few Heal Pots.

SO my higher iL scaled down seems to make killing the mobs so much easier in small groups, rather than trying to nuke them all at the end. The risk with building up too many mobs is getting stuck, caught, tripped over, lagged and then insta splatted.

Will try stand and fight from now on [at least its less boring]
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    Day 3 for me: forgot to equip companion. Died on round 2.
    Day 4 - Devils!

25.5k Barbie DPS

Relatively easy, seems no harder than day one.

Stood and fought all rounds.

Used a few healing Pots.

Switched tactics though, used 2 One Mob killers and 1 AOE [Axe Storm] to finish off straggelers.