test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New classes, new races, new roles? When?

oxymaoxyma Member Posts: 30 Arc User
edited April 2020 in General Discussion (PC)
Just another whining threads to whine about the things that should be added to the game:
- New races we have been waiting for centuries... Tabaxi, Koblod, Lizardfolk, Warforged, Triton, Tortle, Bugbear, etc
- And the new classes like Bard, Druid, Monk, Artificer, etc
- We need support roles that can buff allies and debuff enemies.
Would be cool to see this D&D game get some new interesting additions.
Post edited by oxyma on

Comments

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Bard could be a buff support/dps, Artificer as well. I'd make an artificer for sure if they added one.
  • originalsin#4257 originalsin Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Hey, and sorcerers, don't forget about the Sorcerers!

Lowest priority. Sorcerer is just a wizard who doesn't need to study.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    We did get a new race in M17, I'm sure more are coming and are some of the "Big Surprises" on the roadmap. They are also working on a new class as we speak, my guess will be live with the Mastercraft update in Sept/Oct (first Big Surprise on the Roadmap)
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Buffers got nuked. See M16 for references.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    gradii said:

Lowest priority. Sorcerer is just a wizard who doesn't need to study.
    Highest priority, they’re free spirits without university debt and artificers aren’t even in the PHB.
  • giz#2086 giz Member Posts: 190 Arc User

I'd love to see 2 classes added for 20 total paragons. This would allow them to separate teams into 5 in the future:

1) HEALER: Soulweaver, Oathkeeper, Devout, NEW
    2) TANK: Sentinel, Justicar, Vangaurd, NEW
    3) SUPPORT (DPS) Hellbringer, Arcanist, NEW, NEW
    4) MELEE (DPS) Blademaster, Assassin, Dreadnought, Warden
    5) RANGE (DPS) Hunter, Shadowknife, Thaumaturge, Arbiter

This is just a concept im putting forward... where each category would make a full team of 5.
    Support would lag on DPS output by 5-25%, but would gain abilities that augment team damage.

Why Hellbringer? Let Warlock DPS be! I don't want to have a low DPS output, it's the story with the class, and we're claiming for a competent DPS path, not to be the old Templock HAMSTER. Hellbringer should be DPS-DPS. Stop wanting a nerf for Warlock.
  • rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited May 2020
  • rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited May 2020

3) SUPPORT (DPS) Hellbringer, Arcanist, NEW, NEW
    5) RANGE (DPS) Hunter, Shadowknife, Thaumaturge, Arbiter

L.M.F.A.O.,

You are a rogue right? technically you have more support encounters/daylies then warlocks have right now with courage breaker, smoke bomb/dazing strike/impact shot cc,wicked reminder, shadow strike, vengeance's Pursuit and disheartening Strike why not turn your class into a support? yeah take away from 5-25% of the rogue's dps and add more buffs/debuffs to those encounters and make some of them for the entire party and we will have the perfect dps support class we won't even need 4 of them
    I would be happy with no new classes for a few years if we got 3 paragons per class. also Warlock dps should be no more than 8% less than an equally skilled and geared up other class.
    gradii said:

I would be happy with no new classes for a few years if we got 3 paragons per class. also Warlock dps should be no more than 8% less than an equally skilled and geared up other class.

So..DPS Warlock should be 8% less DPS compared with any other class? Why?
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    I'm not calling for a nerf at all. They would not need to nerf anything. Also, Whisperknife was on the support list too. I removed it thinking that there are more interesting support paragons to create than range ones... such as Bard, Summoner, etc.
    At any rate... all of you missed the point in your frenzy to save the plight of the warlock. The end locations don't matter, its the 5 categories that are the point of the idea.
    giz#2086 said:

gradii said:

It should if it actually has at least that much more survivability/debuffs/utility. Otherwise no. It's not about who does the tiniest bit more dps and everything else is useless HAMSTER that idiots preach. it's about overall contribution. Once you pass a certain threshhold of dps per content, other things become important, even more so in some cases.
  • balufunkebalufunke Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    I have nothing against a new class or race. But I doubt it will turn out as a big new thing. Simply because all classes nowadays use the same build because of the the lack of versatility. The same will be with new class. On the other hand they reduced the talent trees and powers to keep running the game and maybe to be able to add a new class. Although it won´t happen I wish they would bring back more possibilities to build unique class builds.

I'm not calling for a nerf at all. They would not need to nerf anything. Also, Whisperknife was on the support list too. I removed it thinking that there are more interesting support paragons to create than range ones... such as Bard, Summoner, etc.
    At any rate... all of you missed the point in your frenzy to save the plight of the warlock. The end locations don't matter, its the 5 categories that are the point of the idea.

Warlock support spec is Soulweaver, let Hellbringer as DPS, lots of Warlock players plays DPS, i main a Warlock and my three loadouts are for DPS, i DON'T want to play a support on Hellbringer.
  • sinneblomsinneblom Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    oxyma said:

Just another whining threads to whine about the things that should be added to the game:
    - New races we have been waiting for centuries... Tabaxi, Koblod, Lizardfolk, Warforged, Triton, Tortle, Bugbear, etc

don't forget the shaman with his totems to buff the team and debuff the enemy

sinneblom said:

oxyma said:

its a D&D game so druid would take priority since druid is more core to Forgotten Realms I think.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    gradii said:

sinneblom said:

oxyma said:

its a D&D game so druid would take priority since druid is more core to Forgotten Realms I think.
    When you play at my table I don't restrict the character creation process by the content origins. As @oxyma said Warforged and those are Eberron and not Faerun, but I would allow it. I would and have allowed some unique classes to my table as long as they are not Superman. Saying that druid is a priority is just stating, you really hope they would make a druid class before anything else. This game already contains a lot of non-canonical lore, to the point, I don't really see this as Dungeons & Dragons at all. The lore this game introduced has been made canon by its existence. The whole Acquisitions Incorporated campaign is now 100% canonised as part of the vast world of D&D.

I encourage players to be more original thinkers and I love it when they don't follow my breadcrumbs and head off in their own direction. One such event occurred when a small creature stole a simple sword in a cave. The player said, we need to head back to the store in town. I thought he meant to simply replace the sword he lost. However he went back to town to spend more gold on mining equipment to retrieve the lost sword from the cave... people are amazing.

The lore this game introduced has been made canon by its existence. The whole Acquisitions Incorporated campaign is now 100% canonised as part of the vast world of D&D.

I don't think Neverwinter MMO (or any of the video games until referenced by a book or Greenwood) is canon, existing in Neverwinter MMO certainly doesn't make something canon.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    What happens in Neverwinter is canon in the game and nowhere else. That is pretty much true for every supplement or piece of tie i media. As far as Tabletop goes, each gamemaster decides what is canon in their game, subject only to the consent of players to continue playing in their campaigns. There is an AI sourcebook for Tabletop, but that doesn't mean it is required for campaigns set in Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk or anywhere else.

Unless you are writing officially sanctioned novels, canon in D&D is always a smorgasbord of take what you like and leave the rest. And even the novelists take liberties.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

The lore this game introduced has been made canon by its existence. The whole Acquisitions Incorporated campaign is now 100% canonised as part of the vast world of D&D.

I don't think Neverwinter MMO (or any of the video games until referenced by a book or Greenwood) is canon, existing in Neverwinter MMO certainly doesn't make something canon.
    I would think that NW would be considering WotC has to approve everything. New classes will also be mostly from the PHB (player's handbook) in name at least for this reason as well.

As far as predictions go, considering they are re-balancing healing in M19, for skill node balancing, and existing NPCs that Druid and/or Bard are in the works for part 3 of the Zariel Saga.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    NW takes liberties with the Tabletop Sourcebooks all the time. They are separate universes entirely. All WotC cares about is if something looks like it might hurt their brand.

NW has Jarl Storvald take the Ring of Winter from Artus Cimber despite the tabletop sourcebook saying that this can't happen.

NW has Ras Nsi a direct servant of Acerack who gets resurrected and later killed at will. In the sourcebook, he is allied to Acerack but will switch sides without hesitation if he learns who his responsible for the death curse.

In NW' Undermountain story, Trobriand has turned himself into a robot/golem because of his 'frail body' In the sourcebook, he is temporarily possessing a golem he built, because he is bored. Arcturia and Trobriand in NW are responsible for a plot to steal people souls to power an army of golems. In the tabletop, neither is doing any such thing and Arcturia isn't even hostile unless the PCs destroyed her phylactery before the meet her.

I am pretty sure the NW team aren't officially changing the actual WotC canon here.

As far as a new class and the PH, the race we recently got wasn't from there but another supplement and we still don't have last core race.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

My wife has suggested they add Freeform Slots as they did in Champions. However I would see that as a database engineer's nightmare. Not to mention how adding one class wrecks the game mechanics for months if not years. Before I would ask for more, I would ask them to repair and maintenance what they have so content can be their focus.

This is the one thing we disagree on. Of course I am no database engineer with a degrees form a university ... mister boring.... Yawn. This is my idea people and please like, if you agree with this, laugh, or comment whatever... Freeform slots sell like hotcakes over on Champions (Cryptic's Superhero MMO) for $30 or 3000 zen.
    This is how you make this work here;

You get the Freeform slot make a new character and when it gets to class you fill in a blank (checking for obscene words of course). Then you are allowed to pick from all powers as you progress in the game. And there would need to be budgets of course. Assuming I am building a custom class, I start by calling it Druid, then I pick the base powers. I would then be able to choose from animations such as the rangers plant and nature based skills to create custom powers that would be budgeted by my level. This way the player cannot make the character overpowered. The animation of vines attacking and summoning deer as the dryads do in the River District is the most important part of playing the class, the player would be given a choice from a library of animations. The only thing that would remain is making the druid appear as a druid in the game.

As my husband called it a nightmare, I call it a dream, but I will keep dreaming. <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    giz#2086 said:

Because being 8% worse than any other DPS is a better standing relative to pre-Mod 16 (literal bottom tier unless going up against joke specs like Whisperknife Scoundrel TR) and most of post Mod 16 (literal bottom tier unless going up against joke specs like Whisperkni-... I guess some things never change, huh?)
    :trollface:

You get the Freeform slot make a new character and when it gets to class you fill in a blank (checking for obscene words of course). Then you are allowed to pick from all powers as you progress in the game. And there would need to be budgets of course. Assuming I am building a custom class, I start by calling it Druid, then I pick the base powers. I would then be able to choose from animations such as the rangers plant and nature based skills to create custom powers that would be budgeted by my level. This way the player cannot make the character overpowered. The animation of vines attacking and summoning deer as the dryads do in the River District is the most important part of playing the class, the player would be given a choice from a library of animations. The only thing that would remain is making the druid appear as a druid in the game.

I'd throw in the ability to use NPC animations so I can have that Sparta Kick that some enemies have for the sheer hilarity of kicking enemies around.

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

Everything in the game is canon .... yes sadly they are canon too.
    Jerry Holkins is Omin Dran and has been written into Ed Greenwood's Death Masks page 196. IF that is not enough, WoC will sell you... the module on their site.

The better news is the original characters from this game have made it to canon such as Makos and Celeste, found in books and software other than Cryptic Studios. In short, when it appears in this game, WoC gets to claim it, sell it, and enslave it.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    While the characters and situations are canon, that does not necessarily that all the events in the game are canon.The major events that take place that modules are based around are canon. Knox's favorite adventurer, not so much.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    Freeform characters are a good idea for some games, but not for NWO. the game has to be designed around it, and Champions Online did it very poorly as well.

There has to be SOME restrictions even if it allows 90% freedom, becuase without it everyone uses the same meta build since everyone can use it.

City of Heroes with archetypes and power pools actually allowed you to make better and more close to the idea in your head than Champions freeform does.