test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Level Scaling for the future of NWO

gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
For all you people who truly believe that level scaling is a bad thing, take a step back, curb your fight or flight response, and honestly try to think like a developer and or new player for ONE MINUTE. if you do, you'll see why it's required.

No one is asking for a broken, overly harsh system. you'll still be overpowered when scaled down. you just wont eliminate all traces of possible fun by one shotting everything you look at.

Win win, no one suffers, everyones experience improves.

And if you still can't come around, you aren't going to like what this year has in store. (Everyone else will)

Comments

• Options
    greywynd said:

If the content is level 80 there shouldn't be any scaling involved at all.

As long as our level cap remains 80 if the content is 80 scaling is silly. Level scaling should be present in all content below level 70 however. Maybe not EVERY open zone, but ALL heroic encounters and instanced missions.

No, the scaling does not need to be harsh you should still be much more powerful than you were at legit that level, but right now the scaling is basically non functional. Ever been to Charthraxis with more than 2 people? he goes down basically as soon as he lands.
  • Options
    jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    I have reconsidered arguing about this when comparing apples and pears or Chartraxis and Lomm
    Post edited by jules#6770 on
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    Scaling as it is isnt particularly bothersome in the sense its not really even there. And yes, if Charthraxis took more than 2 seconds to finish, it would need to give much more rewards, but that is very easy to update.
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Might want to save thoughts and opinions on scaling until the rework has been revealed. Some might get a bit burned out or dissuaded from providing input before the devs have a chance to look at the direct feedback.
  • Options
    kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    I still think that there should be no rAD rewards for random leveling dungeons, unless you are a leveling character. Put rAD in the final dungeon chest that is appropriate for a toon of the level of the dungeon. Cut the amount of rAD in half the the toon is double or more the required level for the dungeon. Or base that on Item Level if you want. Then the people who can run through the dungeon and kill the bosses in a few seconds won't bother to run those dungeons, leaving them for the level appropriate toons.

Edit: Stop trying to force us to run dungeons we do not like or have no interest in. "Random" dungeons was the worst idea in a long time.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Don't like it, don't do it?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    kharkov58 said:

I did quit doing dungeons when the introduced scaling in them.

Edit: And why am I any more selfish than you, who wants to make everyone else work harder for no extra rewards just for your sense of balance?

You are selfish becuase dungeons without scaling, when high level players are allowed in, ruins it for the newer or lower leveled people.

Demanding the removal of scaling helps no one but yourself should it be granted.

Even WHEN (not if) dungeon scaling is improved and applied to way more places and dungeons, dungeons can and should still be able to be run without scaling solo or in a premade group.

FFXIV scales EVERY below endgame dungeon, and theres an option when in a premade group or solo to shut off the scaling- if you arent in a full group you enter with what you have. XP gains are turned off as are mob item drops but the dungeon still gives any other loot or rewards.
  • Options
    agonistes#1431 agonistes Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Scaling a necessary evil with most MMOs these days. I actually wouldn't even call it evil. I really, really like scaling.

I like to help new players a lot, it's one of my main things I do in MMOs. With level scaling it's much easier to help people learn the game and be on somewhat of same playing field. The biggest turn off most of the new players I help is that veterans plow through everything WAY to fast. Not saying we can't do dungeon runs fast, they shouldn't be a slough either; however, that rogue just rolling away and dashing one-shotting everything because he's circumventing the scaling system by going nude isn't fun for new players.

Scaling is a tricky mistress to get right though, there's a balance where endgame players want to feel more powerful, but they shouldn't be one-shotting everything making it boring for the rest of the people playing.

I like how ESO did the scaling, my max CP nightblade still chews through all the overland mobs regardless of scaling or not, but it's not at a rate that's over-the-top for most newer players; however, my output is still significantly more and I can clear mobs in half the time a new player can.

It's not like it matters what anyone on here says about leveling scaling. Chris is from GW2 and they're only going to get more horizontal with progression. Things will continually be more and more scaled to flatten the veteran and new player curve. If you don't like that, then you should just stop playing now, honestly. It's not if, but when.
  • Options
    kharkov58 said:

Do not do any level scaling unless you also increase the rewards given out. Currently, the rewards from Charthraxis are about right for a 2 second fight.

Add in some cosmetic rewards when they redo leveling scaling later this year. If there's anything that motivates a endgame player it's fashion (apparently).
  • Options
    I like how ESO did the scaling, my max CP nightblade still chews through all the overland mobs regardless of scaling or not, but it's not at a rate that's over-the-top for most newer players; however, my output is still significantly more and I can clear mobs in half the time a new player can.

ESO scaling makes ESO in that regard miles above NWO, in NWO you cant even scale to a lower level friends level for quests, in the previous cryptic games that was ALWAYS an important feature.

NWO is the game where they said "you know what we did right in our other games? lets do none of that here!"

They have slowly been fixing that over the years but its still obvious some awful decisions were made.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    gradii said:

ESO scaling makes ESO in that regard miles above NWO, in NWO you cant even scale to a lower level friends level for quests, in the previous cryptic games that was ALWAYS an important feature.

NWO is the game where they said "you know what we did right in our other games? lets do none of that here!"

They have slowly been fixing that over the years but its still obvious some awful decisions were made.
    Like I said, with Chris as our ED now, I would be VERY surprised if that wasn't coming in the future. Every livestream he talks about horizontal progression and how they can make the game more and more accessible.

So, I couldn't agree with you more on scaling. It's going to happen, everyone here against it is just going to have to deal or find a different game, sadly.
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Scaling would be useful for the low level players to be able to participate in some events. Devs still did not deliver this. For everything else you can have caps. That would be clear, simple approach. Particularly with soft caps you can even feel some progress in the lower level areas by improving your gear.

What we have: low level players are not able to participate in events + we have a black box of scaling that feels more like a generator of random numbers, which is biased against higher item lvl gear/enchants,... and you can even spectacularly improve your performance by throwing your attire away. =) (now, I understand that running around naked - letting the high grass to tickle your lap while walking - is the way to live for barbarians, but there are other classes that should be kept properly clothed)

If you say scaling is a good thing, you might have a point. But the thing we have is not good at all.
  • Options

Like I said, with Chris as our ED now, I would be VERY surprised if that wasn't coming in the future. Every livestream he talks about horizontal progression and how they can make the game more and more accessible.

So, I couldn't agree with you more on scaling. It's going to happen, everyone here against it is just going to have to deal or find a different game, sadly.

Yeah I'm glad Chris is here now, as long as PWE grants him the resources he needs, he can bring NWO to a new age of quality.

PWE is of course unlikely to give him all he needs, but they'll give him something, so the game will improve.
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    PWE barely touches the game from what I understand (mostly timelines/profit margins?), and it's mainly Cryptic who does the grunt work and managing.
    Also the game is called Neverwinter, not Neverwinter Online. Please stop referring it as NWO (most read that as New World Order).
  • Options
    Nitpicking about what the game is called aside, PWE are the ones who decide on funding and staff in the end.
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    kharkov58 said:

Do not do any level scaling unless you also increase the rewards given out. Currently, the rewards from Charthraxis are about right for a 2 second fight.

I just wish that they would add the Dragon Bone weapons to the Well of Dragons Vendor for Dragon Horde Coins...
  • Options
    zyronaxzyronax Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    > @gradii said:
    > (Quote)
    > You are selfish becuase dungeons without scaling, when high level players are allowed in, ruins it for the newer or lower leveled people.
    >
    > Demanding the removal of scaling helps no one but yourself should it be granted.
    >
    > Even WHEN (not if) dungeon scaling is improved and applied to way more places and dungeons, dungeons can and should still be able to be run without scaling solo or in a premade group.
    >
    > FFXIV scales EVERY below endgame dungeon, and theres an option when in a premade group or solo to shut off the scaling- if you arent in a full group you enter with what you have. XP gains are turned off as are mob item drops but the dungeon still gives any other loot or rewards.

You've mentioned FFXIV numerous times before in several different threads. Perhaps that's an indicator. If you want NW to be more like FFXIV, then there's already a game that caters to those tastes of yours....
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    No ones asking for scaling to work in a way which makes all the game an even playing field. the kind of scaling we need in this game is the kind which makes you still more powerful in older content- but not SO powerful the experience is completely ruined.

Arguing AGAINST scaling period, is literally the same as going out and screaming to the whole world you dont care about anything but your own game experience - even if it means the game will wither and die over time.

FYI our lead dev has already made up his mind and he agrees with me. now is a good time to leave if scaling is a deal breaker. tbh we wont miss you if you are gonna be like that.
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    gradii said:

FYI our lead dev has already made up his mind and he agrees with me. now is a good time to leave if scaling is a deal breaker. tbh we wont miss you if you are gonna be like that.

For your information, encouraging people who disagree with you to leave will eventually... leave you alone, talking to yourself.

Furthermore, the team has already presented a detail that the current version of scaling needs - and will be changed.

And... it is a time for you to realize that most of the uproar against scaling is not about inability to annihilate the whole map in one swing, but because what was delivered was an overcomplicated and badly implemented atrocity that put the whole bunch of DnD principles on its head.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User

And you would be a fool to think nobody would miss me leaving this game. Will the game go on without me? Sure. But most people in a community are connected in some way, there are people who play because I play and the reverse is also true.

This. So much is not "what you do", but rather "who you do it with".
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    (Long former story short)
    I am still here because of the people I met playing NW. The vets that helped me at the start, the people I beat all kinds lf content in various states with, the new players that are still here despite the confusion of "what are they talking about" and this new NW.
    greywynd said:

And you would be a fool to think nobody would miss me leaving this game. Will the game go on without me? Sure. But most people in a community are connected in some way, there are people who play because I play and the reverse is also true.

The whole game for me is about having fun with my friends. If its not fun we will just take our friendslist elsewhere.
    All the talk about "this is a MMO, deal with it" - we are the MM part.
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    edited May 2020

(Long former story short)
    I am still here because of the people I met playing NW. The vets that helped me at the start, the people I beat all kinds lf content in various states with, the new players that are still here despite the confusion of "what are they talking about" and this new NW.

greywynd said:

The whole game for me is about having fun with my friends. If its not fun we will just take our friendslist elsewhere.
    All the talk about "this is a MMO, deal with it" - we are the MM part.
    It is becuase the game is about having fun- with friends that level scaling is required- a good level scaling system- on all group content.

No one said there wont be an option to disable it for solo or premade groups. but it is a requirement if you wish to continue having fun- with friends.

I have in no way ever defended the current or previous bad scaling systems. Stop pretending I think its ok as it is and want that applied to the whole game.

a GOOD scaling system is what I advocate, and want applied to the game.
  • Options
    zyronaxzyronax Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    > @gradii said:
    > No ones asking for scaling to work in a way which makes all the game an even playing field. the kind of scaling we need in this game is the kind which makes you still more powerful in older content- but not SO powerful the experience is completely ruined.
    >
    > Arguing AGAINST scaling period, is literally the same as going out and screaming to the whole world you dont care about anything but your own game experience - even if it means the game will wither and die over time.
    >
    > FYI our lead dev has already made up his mind and he agrees with me. now is a good time to leave if scaling is a deal breaker. tbh we wont miss you if you are gonna be like that.

Nice hyperbole.

Also: what you think they mean isn't automatically necessarily what they mean. I will say this: despite my misgivings with various decisions by Cryptic, I still trust their business senses more than the ones you've displayed here. Not personal - matter of preferences and perspective.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Level scaling is not required to have fun with friends, in any capacity. Let's look at the different scenarios:

Scenario 1: You and your friends started the game at the same time.

Provided you progress at the same rate, you will always face enemies together at an equal level of power, there is no problem. If 1 person gets ahead of the rest, it might be a problem, but it is only a problem if it is something the others care about and it does not require scaling to deal with (I will get to that later).

Scenario 2: You start long before your friends do, so you are much further progressed than they are.

If they don't kind being helped out and having an easier time, there is no issue. If they do mind, you can create an alt and level with them, or boost them to some piece of content which you both find challenging.

What is the problem created by scaling? It does not respect the time of every single one of those "old players" I mentioned in scenario 2. It is saying that they need to waste their time taking longer to kill trash, stuff which is in no way rewarding to them, just so that some hypothetical "new player" can have a good time.

If this new player was really a friend, you and them could communicate and find a solution that works for both of you, for example, making an alt, boosting, or a whole host of other possible solutions.

There are a lot more of these "old players" then there are "new players" and I can guarantee you a large number of them don't want mobs which they have killed 10s of thousands of times to suddenly turn into hp sponges because of "new players." It is sacrificing the experience of pretty much every old player for some hypothetical player who you do not even know if they will stay.

There are plenty of games, both mmos and other types of games, which are successful and do not have level scaling. If level scaling was a prerequisite for having "fun with friends" this would not be the case.

Right now, pretty much the only reason I play NW is because I "have fun with friends." Why am I protesting scaling? Because its 1 of the things that makes me stop, "having fun with friends."