test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not even worth bothering...

Last few weeks have had terrible times with abysmal long loading screens.
Scrubbed my computer in case it was me, lowered resolutions yesterday in hopes that would help.

Tried twice to log in this morning. Unfortunately ended the day yesterday in Avernus.
Two 15 plus minute loading screen times (with a laptop reboot in between) later I gave up.

This is what I am paying monthly VIP for?

Pathetic.

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    There would be some issue between your computer to the server. Not your problem and not necessary server side problem but something in the middle. I personally do not have any significant performance issue (except in certain PE instance during chicken run) in the past 2 weeks. Loading was fast. Response was fast.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    My husband is a work from home IT person. His handle on here is @hotfrostworm He has managed to get this game to run on a lot of potatoes around here. Assuming it is your computer and not the super advanced servers Cryptic uses.... ... uh yes, he says post you specs and he will attempt to get you a solution. Don't be shy, but you can even PM him those specs, and he will get back to you. But you and I both know, when you can run other games on the same computer with better graphics and higher system requirements, something smells fishy in the state of Denmark.

Have fun!
    wb-cenders.gif
  • jase2cooljase2cool Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    abysmal long loading screens.....Sounds like game is patching, IF its patching disable on demand patching on launcher's option. Then run the game wait a bit and let the game download and patch before the game start.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    are you on a shared/ slow internet connection with multiple users streaming on it
    is laptop hard drive is on the fritz / overheating / bad sectors ?
    video card drivers not updated
    maybe the game files themselves need a forced verification
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User

Whatever this issue was they have yet to respond for almost a week. Either they fixed the issue or have moved on.

I just put a new mobo into a friend's Linux box here and the game works great. Of course, when you upgrade the computer mobo from a old 2008 Intel Dual Core Pentium 3.2 GHz to an i-7 core HP MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) you are bound to notice immediate results. He was playing it still on the old 2008 PC and 2 out 3 of his HD Drives are shot (over 5700 bad blocks) I think that speaks volumes about the flexible nature of the software.

Not everyone can afford the best equipment, but the game seems to operate just fine on machines that date back to the stone age (or just over 12 years ago).
  • micheal1979micheal1979 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    Another option is changing your proxy server, it has worked for me in the past.
    We Are Crolm
    Believer in SMASH
    Fairplay,no bots , no bugs, and play well
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnN0Yofs-Scv1nd8U_bSYLA/featured
  • tjkernan#7315 tjkernan Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    So, I went through the long process of updating every file/forced verification in the game again.
    (seems like I have to do this on an almost monthly basis now)
    I have got it working again so i can at least get in. Still slow when getting into certain places (Avernus, PE) but I can at least get in the areas now before the 15 minute non-activity comes calling.
    The laptop is about 5 years old (no problems, frequently do scrubbing and cleaning of systems), and while I do have shared internet, the problem occurred whether anybody else was up and using or if everybody was up and multiple sources were fighting for broadband love.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User

So, I went through the long process of updating every file/forced verification in the game again.
    (seems like I have to do this on an almost monthly basis now)
    I have got it working again so i can at least get in. Still slow when getting into certain places (Avernus, PE) but I can at least get in the areas now before the 15 minute non-activity comes calling.
    The laptop is about 5 years old (no problems, frequently do scrubbing and cleaning of systems), and while I do have shared internet, the problem occurred whether anybody else was up and using or if everybody was up and multiple sources were fighting for broadband love.

If what you said is true (regarding not enough bandwidth), Cryptic cannot help you.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Reboot your router lately?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • aradyn#0871 aradyn Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    @tjkernan#7315 Where are you physically located? If you are in Europe, there are options you can set to speed things up significantly. In the same place you selected "Force Verify" on the patch screen, try changing your gameplay proxy to see if it makes a difference (even if you are in the US, I have heard of cases such as yours where they selected EU and had a better experience.

Also, as others have said, in that same screen, UNCHECK "On-demand patching".
    I am in US (same state as Cryptic). yes, my router has been rebooted lately.
    Gave up trying to play today. Froze up whole laptop doing River Major Heroic. Rebooted, tried again, and crashed just turning in Legacy Quests in PE.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

I am in US (same state as Cryptic). yes, my router has been rebooted lately.
    Gave up trying to play today. Froze up whole laptop doing River Major Heroic. Rebooted, tried again, and crashed just turning in Legacy Quests in PE.

Can you try doing a traceroute to patchserver.crypticstudios.com? Perhaps that will be more indicative of where the issue lies, be it closer to their end or your end.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    It's probably California. Many streamers have been switching to satellite in California because the local internet services have gone to HAMSTER since stay at home orders became a thing.
    Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.12
    2 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
    3 30 ms 70 ms 40 ms asotwaxahed11-dy1001.network.tds.net [96.60.122.
    1]
    4 61 ms 59 ms 57 ms dnvvcohfdst51-gi0-0-1-10.network.tds.net [69.128
    .253.65]
    5 91 ms 86 ms 86 ms lsancarccor52-bune113.network.tds.net [64.50.241
    .209]
    6 89 ms 88 ms 90 ms 206.72.211.137.any2ix.coresite.com [206.72.211.1
    37]
    7 87 ms 87 ms 87 ms po110.bs-a.sech-lax.netarch.akamai.com [23.57.96
    .243]
    8 87 ms 86 ms 86 ms a72-52-1-189.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.co
    m [72.52.1.189]
    9 88 ms 104 ms 100 ms ae120.access-a.sech-lax.netarch.akamai.com [23.5
    7.96.249]
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 136 ms 136 ms 135 ms a209-200-186-212.deploy.static.akamaitechnologie
    s.com [209.200.186.212]
    12 141 ms 141 ms 143 ms 198.49.243.237
    13 134 ms 135 ms 135 ms patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Toby>
    any help would be appreciated.tried to play again tonight. Got into Demo. Crashed moments later.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    Your traceroute is fine. A total roundtrip time of 135ms is not a problem, game is ok playable up to 200ms roundtrip at least. There also is not one hop that is the reason for most of the delay, but it is shared over the hops.

There are two more questions wrt. network quality though:
    * Do you see spikes in the roundtrip time?
    * Do you have any noticeable packet loss?

Run 'ping -t patchserver.crypticstudios.com' over some time.
    * The reported time should not vary much
    * And there should be no reported lost packets
    (You can run ping in the background in a command window while you play - it does not load the system much.
    Then you can check it immediately after a crash)

Even though network issues is the most common reason for problems, you might want to investigate other sources too.
    * Since game is behaving OK for most people, it is unlikely to be a server issue
    * So the remaining suspect will be your local system

Things to try:
    * Verify that your system is specced at or above the *recommended* Neverwinter system requirements (https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/neverwinter/11916)
    * Install the latest version of your video driver
    * Do a full verification of the game install. Or even better, *delete* the game directory and reinstall game. (That would get rid of possibly faulty locally generated files like shader cache etc)
    * Turn off all other programs but NW. In particular check your system startup so it does not launch all kinds of junk.
    * Run NW graphics config down to minimum settings and see if that helps
    * After you crash, have a peek at the system eventlog in case it contains any clues

edited April 2020
    You realize equipment and computer systems age and fail it is their nature ..5 years is getting up there for a computer..

guys and people of the thread his long loading times are due to his system crashing an being unresponsive (patching on demand )seems to have nothing to do with internet ping or trace routes ..

back to what i said again.. system instability do to wear//age and overheating / is the system free of viruses and malware
    or is some antivirus programming running in the background hogging up resources

is the laptop caked with dust as well as the video card fan exhaust too ? : try vacuuming and blowing out the laptops fan exhaust port vent ..try slightly / propping raising it off a desk table surface so it does not suffocate or put a fan blowing on it to see if it helps it stay cool

you also mention that forced revivification has been happening more often

what is the brand of the video card/ laptop / what is the age of the hard disk and wear level ?

a simple install of something free like hard disk sentinel will tell you if there are bad sectors drive temp and if its overhearing
    this tool should be on every computer to give you advance warning of a hard disk failure regardless

additionally (more advanced) you can under clock / slow your system down / video card down (nvidia control panel can do it )
    to determine an overheat / power / fan relate issue // there is an option in the video setting of the game to slow the video card on purpose in the event of (possible ) overheating / or to tell it to limit frames to 30 / less work drawing = less heat

are there any other high end game you are running on your system that never crash call of duty for example

I assume you have a min of 8 gig ram and are not running dozens of google crome browsers in the background as well cause they can be a huge resource hog

oh last thing it may effect it if you are running the game full screen vs windowed.. try both
    it may never crash in one mode vs the other..

also it being a laptop sometimes there is on board video card and there is the option to run the game with the on board video or the higher end one nvidia / radeon

you might have to adjust the system to tell it which video card to use / in any event if you primary video card is failing on your laptop there may be no choice but to use secondary on board/ test for now as it not something you can replace or service aside from dusting out the fans .
    it may ,make it stable or may not be the problem at all but at least video card can be eliminated or used as a diagnostic aid ..

(hoping you dont only have a old laptop with single onboard video and you actually have a dual video cards ..
    also are you plugging the laptop to a large tv/ monitor or using its built in laptop led screen (also causing more heat )
    might be another test ..external screen vs internal causing instability
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    kalina311 said:

guys and people of the thread his long loading times are due to his system crashing an being unresponsive (patching on demand )seems to have nothing to do with internet ping or trace routes ..

The loading process involves not just local tasks, but also a lot of communications with with the servers to set things up, so network issues could very well be the cause of slow loading.

Another thing worth checking is disk fragmentation. The file system could over time spread the blocks of a file out over the disk, and if you are running a spindisk(not SSD, SSDs do not have fragmentation issues) that could affect loading times badly. You could also get fragmentation effects if too many blocks on the disk have been remapped because of bad blocks.

So disk health on spindisks is worth checking.

I don't plug it into any other devices, I don't play any other games on it whatsoever, and I do not have any browser windows open while playing...
    edited April 2020
    now to tell us the make and model of your laptop and video card model did you try anything that i said
    give feedback
    full screen vs windowed /.l..overheating ..dusting ... underclocking
    my point plugging it into and external source/ screen was that it will reduce the heat from the;laptop build in screen and be a possible temp solution
    to a undetermined video / overheat issue

until you give us more real info instead of one just liners we cant help you more
    is it an old amd laptop that overheats like an oven ? :D who knows

see if you played other high end games on it and it never crashed we would know your hardware/ video is good and then we might say its neverwinter but as you dont and it is an older laptop it is less likely it is neverwinter and more likely decay/ ware / mis-configuration of something over time
  • zerappuszerappus Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    My guess is it's your ram or HD is going bad with the very long loading.

If it's your video card, check your drivers (althouth I really doubt it b/c of the long loading times ). If the video card is dying, normally you won't see pictures, have artifacts or screen garbles/lines, or slower fps.

Also custom set your virtual ram/virtual memory to double your ram in your windows settings.'

Lastly, don't just tinker with resolutions. There are many graphic HAMSTER you can turn on/off in graphics option. Maybe you're all maxed out in your world view setting. Lower them as well as the other character view settings etc.

gl